This week’s CIF-Southern Section football polls.
1. Bishop Amat (6-0) — The preparation has included a lot of lopsided victories, but the truth is unveiled this week in the league opener against 5-1 Crespi. Is Amat’s secondary athletic and disciplined enough to handle the Celts’ aerial assault? Can Amat put 40 or more points on the board? Answers come Friday.
2. Chino Hills (4-1) — We know the Huskies are the prohibitive favorites in the Sierra League, but are they contenders in the Inland Division, where they climbed to No. 2 in the poll? You prove that by continuing to win while the bullseye is firmly implanted.
3. West Covina (5-1) — Bonita hasn’t done anything to lose it’s No. 3 ranking, it’s just the Bulldogs, even with a loss, have looked better at this point. They’re No. 1 in the Southeast and have a brutal running game that hasn’t come close to being slowed down.
4. Bonita (5-0) — The Bearcats are No. 2 in the Southeast, but have yet to face the contenders in the Hacienda. We’ll know more once they go through Diamond Ranch, Rowland and West Covina. For now, so far so good.
5. Glendora (4-1) — After a week off they open the Baseline at Etiwanda on Thursday, a winnable opener and a must have if the Tartans are thinking about making the playoffs or contending for a league title.
6. Charter Oak (3-2) — QB Travis Santiago returns after an ankle injury and a bye week. If the Chargers are serious contenders in the Sierra Leaugue, they will let us know on the road at Ayala, a school that has a 5-1 record but has played the weakest schedule of all Sierra teams.
7. Claremont (4-1) — We’ve been saying the Wolfpack are the second best team in the Sierra but on Friday at home they get a chance to show they’re the best against mighty Chino Hills in the league opener.
8. Azusa (5-0) — The Aztecs will finish the season with ten straight blowouts to go 10-0 and take the No.1 ranking in the Mid-Valley Division. Their closest game is a 21-point blowout and the toughest part of their schedule is behind them.
9. Rowland (4-2) – The Raiders took one on the chin against West Covina, but the Raiders are too good and will bounce back in the coming weeks.
10. Covina (5-1) – We haven’t given the Colts enough credit. When you play in the MId-Valley and you own a win over West Covina, the No. 1 in the Southeast, that deserves a top ten ranking.
The Rest: 10. Damien (3-2), 11. Ayala (4-1), 12. Diamond Ranch (3-3), 14. Arroyo (4-1), 15. Baldwin Park (2-4), 16. San Dimas (3-3, 17. South Hills (1-4), 18. Diamond Bar (4-2), 19. Walnut (2-3), 20. Wilson (3-2), 21. Sierra Vista (4-1), 22. Rosemead (3-2), 23. Pomona (3-3), 24. La Puente (3-2), 25. Mountain View (3-2), 26. Ganesha (2-3), 27. Nogales (1-4), 28. El Monte (1-4); 29. Gladstone (2-3), 30. Bassett (2-3), 31. Northview (1-4), 32. Los Altos (0-5), 33. South El Monte (1-4), 34. Workman (1-4), 35. Duarte (0-4)