The inaugural Tribune vs. Star-News All-Star girls volleyball game set for Wednesday, at Monrovia High, 7 p.m., for all the bragging rights

By Keith Lair, Staff Writer
It will be hammer vs. hammer, friend vs. friend and teammate vs. teammate when the best high school senior volleyball players in the San Gabriel Valley play on Wednesday, Jan. 26. The hammers will belong to the arms of St. Lucy’s Deanna Dalton and Monrovia’s Tirah Le’au. The two outside hitters are both powerful, longtime friends, they have been teammates on the same club team and both were selected volleyball players of the year; Dalton by the San Gabriel Valley Tribune and Le’au by the Pasadena Star-News.
Both will also be playing NCAA Division I volleyball next season. Dalton will play at Army and Le’au at Georgia.
The best-of-five match will be played in Monrovia’s new gym with a scheduled 7 p.m. start. (To continue click thread)

“This is like coaching college players,” said St. Lucy’s coach Sean Douglas, who will lead the Tribune team. “All these players are Division I material. It makes it pretty exciting.”

USC, Wake Forest, Sacred Heart, Loyola Marymount, Cal State Bakersfield, Eastern Washington, Fairfield and Delaware are where some of the players are heading.

St. Lucy’s won the CIF-Southern Section Division 2AA title and advanced to the third round of the CIF State playoffs. The Regents defeated Sierra League rival Chino Hills in the CIF-SS title match.

Monrovia finished second in the Rio Hondo League to La Ca ada, which will feature libero Eirene Kim in next week’s game. The Wildcats reached the second round of the playoffs.

Mayfield, behind USC-bound middle blocker Hannah Schraer, started slowly, but reached the CIF-SS semifinals, losing to league rival Pasadena Poly. The Panthers played for the championship game with nearly all of their starters underclassmen.

Monrovia’s Wayne Teng will coach the Star-News team.

Neither team is expected to practice before the match.

“They have too much going on,” Douglas said. “They’ve been playing club; they’ll figure it out.”

Also on the Tribune team will be Nicolle Ellis of San Dimas, Katie Kirby and Ashley Maxfeldt of Bonita, Jordyn Siko and Tori Haee of Chino Hills, Megan Callen and Alissa Young of St. Lucy’s and Jazmen Russell and Amanda Brown of Los Altos. Douglas will be assisted by Mallory Douglas and Jeff Henderson, his St. Lucy’s assistant coaches.

keith.lair@sgvn.com
626-962-8811, ext. 2242

• Really

Rumor has it one of the Chino Hills players will not be playing in the All Star game. They are going to a boys bball game instead???

Anyone want to validate they findings?

Hope its not true. This is a senior All Star Team and representing the San Gabriel Valley. Many girls would have been honored to be part of this moment and this a goodwill game for the valley.

• Basic

I haven’t heard anything but agree that this is an Honor, and while it does not get the same play as other sports (football) maybe if they all show up and we have coverage from both newspapers it could turn into something really special in the future…

• just askin’

so what is more important – having some school spirit and supporting those that supported you on your run to a league title as they pursue theirs – or playing in an all-star game that celebrates your own individual accomplishments?
    Actually, refreshing if true.

• Rivalry runs deep

The basketball game is an excuse. The player won’t play for SL coach. The other Chino Hills player will play. Sad stuff. CH Huskeys are relatively new in the SGV coverage area.

Other players are pumped and ready to go. What an amazing opportunity for the young female athletes who recognize this is more than just about them but future SGV girls All Star games. Best of luck to the SGV.

• Say it isn’t so

Being invited to the first ever SGV Senior All Star Game for girls volleyball is not only an honor, it makes way for other female athletes. For those who have followed the SGV, this is a big deal.

Prediction: Spartans will beat the Huskeys @ Damiens gym. Dont waste your time.

School Spirit is important but how about the SGV Spirit? This paper covered CH glowingly with two video highlights, top seeding by SGV for two weeks and CIF & State Press non-stop. The SGV announces a first time ever All Star volleyball game for females and then one of the top CH senior volleyball players blows it off for a basketball game (allegedly).

For the sake of the athlete, let’s hope this isn’t true.

• Proud Mom

Who cares why she isn’t playing? Why an athlete chooses to play, or not to play is their business. Do we really want to waste time talking about that?

Let’s focus on what a great event this will be for volleyball, and female athletes. Many of these girls haven’t played on the same team since they were 11 or 12. They have grown and matured as players – becoming the BEST in the area. That’s what this is about…what great fun, and what a great way to round out prep play for these girls.

Now drop the negativity – especially when you don’t have all the facts….

• St. Lucy’s Mom

Agree with Proud Mom. I am so excited for tonight and so proud of each of the girls who will be respresenting the SGV. These are amazing young women and I know my daughter is happy to be part of this moment with fellow teammates and people she has tremendous respect for as previous opponents.

Thank you SGV for hosting! This is awesome.