2010 Tribune All-Area Football: West Covina’s Chris Solomon and coach Mike Maggiore share top honors; Bishop Amat’s Jalen Moore and West Covina’s Maurice Dupleasis offensive and defensive players of the year, respectively

The 2010 Tribune All-Area team is in today’s PrepXtra Magazine, which you will find packaged in today’s Tribune with stories online on our Tribune prep page. The magazine includes a San Gabriel Valley all-encompassing team, plus the selections from the Pasadena Star-News as well. Hope you enjoy, you can always purchase copies of PrepXtra at the Tribune or Star-News offices as well.

Tribune coach of the year: Mike Maggiore, West Covina
Tribune player of the year: Chris Solomon, West Covina, Jr.
Tribune offensive player of the year: Jalen Moore, Bishop Amat, Jr.
Tribune defensive player of the year: Maurice Dupleasis, West Covina, Sr.
For stories on all of the above, including Aram’s column, click thread

Tribune First-Team Offense
QB – Garrett Pendleton, Bonita, Sr.
RB – Jalen Moore, Bishop Amat, Jr.
RB – Jamel Hart, South Hills, Jr.
WR – Aaron Dockery, Claremont, Jr.
WR – Anthony Miller, Arroyo, Sr.
WR – Dennis Rufus, Charter Oak, Sr.
OL – Christian Orduno, Bishop Amat. Sr.
OL – Tarez Lemmons, Bonita, Sr.
OL – Allen Brown, San Dimas, Sr.
OL – Joseph Gibson, West Covina, Sr.
OL – Nick Enriquez, Chino Hills, Jr.
ALL – Beejay Lee, West Covina, Sr.
K – Brandt Davis, Bonita, So
Tribune First-team Defense
DL – Julian Gener, Amat, Sr.
DL – Auston Johnson, Chino Hills, Sr.
DL – Edwin Garcia, Azusa, Sr.
LB – Maurice Dupleasis, West Covina, Sr.
LB – K.C. Huth, Bonita, Sr.
LB – Giamani Johnson, Bonita, Sr.
LB – Jose Nunez, Azusa, Sr.
DB – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Chino Hills, Sr.
DB – Demetrius Jackson, Baldwin Park, Sr.
DB – Vinny Venegas, Covina, Jr
DB – Anthony Molina, West Covina, Sr.
P – Christian Fulham, Glendora, So.

Tribune second-team offense
QB – Daniel Kessler, Claremont, Sr.
RB – Matt Fregoso, Rosemead, Sr.
RB – Jacoby Carter, Diamond Ranch, Sr
WR – Aubrey Coleman, Walnut, Sr.
WR – Kevin Kolbeck, San Dimas. Sr
WR – Wallace Gonzalez, Bishop Amat, Sr.
OL – William Regis, Glendora, Sr.
OL – Travis Doll, Charter Oak, Sr.
OL – Sioasi Aiono, South Hills, Sr.
OL – Mark Laffin, West Covina, Sr.
OL – Jeff Vargas, South Hills, Sr,
ALL – Rio Ruiz, Bishop Amat, Jr.
K – Jeff Stamp, Diamond Ranch, Sr.
Tribune second-team defense
DL – Sam Torres, Arroyo, Sr,
DL – Charlie Avila, Charter Oak, Sr,
DL – Justen Meaders, West Covina, Jr.
LB – Wardell Crutchfield, Baldwin Park, Sr.
LB – Michael Juarez, Amat, Sr
LB – Eric Mikity, Bonita, Sr
LB – Joseph Herrera, Gladstone, Sr.
DB – Nate Harris, Chino Hills,. Sr.
DB – Michael Ball, Rowland, Sr.
DB – Matt Gelalich, Bonita. Sr.
DB – Brian Nieto, Azusa, Sr.
P – Donny Hageman, Damien, Jr.

ARAM’S COLUMN ON TRIBXTRA ALL AREA TEAMS
As you can see, when it comes to this newspaper’s All-Area teams, the spoils really do go to the victors.
To say the Monrovia and West Covina High School football teams dominated this year’s picks of the best players is an understatement.
So, I won’t say it, but it’s obvious that’s what happened.
The Bulldogs went 13-1. The Wildcats went 12-2. Both teams were the last ones standing in their respective divisions and it wasn’t by mistake.
From line play, to skill players to special teams, both Monrovia and West Covina were truly special. For Monrovia, the 2010 team was able to bring home the first CIF championship in school history.
It was not only a season of firsts on the field, but also at the Tribune and Star-News. This year, we produced a season preview magazine that, while great, will be even better with some improvements next season.
And now, to wrap up the season, we’ve gone back to the magazine style and brought the schools of the two newspapers together to produce our first All-Area team that combines players from the Star-News and Tribune zones.
Obviously, these are the very best of the best, in our opinion. These are the players who will not soon be forgotten in a season that will be remembered forever in two different places.
It’s never easy making these lists. It’s an imprecise formula of weighing teams with varying attendance levels competing in divisions that often don’t have much in common.
But after deploying our troops of writers to all the games from September to December, we’ve got a pretty good idea what we’re doing.
As you’ll find in the coming pages, 2010 was a season like no other.
From Nick Bueno’s great all-around effort to Chris Solomon’s running wild to Matt Fregoso’s record-breaking run, the San Gabriel Valley is alive and well when it comes to football.
Now it’s time to honor the individuals who make it happen in the best way possible.

ALL ENCOMPASSING SAN GABRIEL VALLEY FIRST TEAM
FIRST-TEAM OFFENSE

QB – Nick Bueno, Monrovia, Sr.
RB – Jalen Moore, Bishop Amat, Jr.
RB – Chris Solomon, West Covina, Jr.
RB – Matt Fregoso, Rosemead, Sr,
WR – Dennis Rufus, Charter Oak
WR – Jay Henderson, Monrovia, Sr.
OL – Joseph Gibson, West Covina, Sr.
OL – Allen Brown, San Dimas, Sr.
OL – Christian Orduno, Bishop Amat, Sr.
OL – Dean Bisterfeldt, Monrovia, Sr.
OL – Chris Salgado, Alhambra, Sr.
ALL – B.J. Lee, West Covina, Sr.
PK – Brandt Davis, Bonita, So.
FIRST TEAM DEFENSE
DL – Julian Gener, Amat, Sr.
DL – Auston Johnson, Chino Hills, Sr
DL – Ellis McCarthy, Monrovia, Jr.
LB – Mo Dupleasis, West Covina, Sr
LB – Derrick Johnson, Monrovia, Sr.
LB – KC Huth, Bonita, Sr.
LB – Jose Nunez, Azusa, Sr.
DB – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Chino Hills, Sr
DB – Demetrius Jackson, Baldwin Park
DB – Vinny Venegas, Covina, Jr.
DB – Anthony Molina, West Covina
P – Christian Fulham, Glendora, So.

MIKE MAGGIORE, TRIBUNE COACH OF THE YEAR
By Aram Tolegian Staff Writer
Mike Maggiore has always had designs on turning West Covina High School’s football program into one of the best in Southern California.
The 15th-year coach has done things through the years like take on difficult nonleague opponents in hopes of breaking through.
The Bulldogs have played the likes of Bishop Amat, Mater Dei and Mission Viejo during their nonleague schedule. But nothing says breakthrough like a CIF championship.
In 2004, Maggiore got West Covina a CIF title by taking his third-place Bulldogs on an improbable march through the postseason that culminated with a win over South Hills in the championship game.
This year, West Covina went in the through the front door.
The Bulldogs went 9-1 in the regular season, won the Hacienda League, got the Southeast Division’s top seed and rallied to beat Bonita for the school’s second CIF title in seven years.
For those reasons, Maggiore is the Tribune’s Coach of the Year for the second time in his career.
“At this time last year, on paper, before we even started, we thought we might have a pretty good team,” Maggiore said. “In spring football we had a little bit more in terms of athleticism and the attitude was really different. That’s when I knew.”
Team insiders and most of the Bulldogs’ players will tell you the season was won in the weight room during offseason workouts when the team stamped itself the strongest of the Maggiore era.
But once on the field, West Covina was immediately plagued by something that has hurt many Bulldogs campaigns in the past — self-destruction.
West Covina led Covina 21-2 in the fourth quarter of its season opener before the Colts stormed back for a 27-21 win. The loss showed
Maggiore and his staff the one flaw they needed to correct in order to deliver on all the team’s physical promise.
After the Covina loss, no team came within single digits of West Covina until Mayfair played the Bulldogs to a 28-19 result in the semifinals.
“I didn’t want an opportunity like this to pass us by without making the most of it,” Maggiore said. “A lot of guys coach 30 years and never get an opportunity like this.”
With two CIF titles in the last seven years, Maggiore now has West Covina on the brink of reaching his vision of being one of the top programs in the Southland.
Next year, the Bulldogs will play traditional power Loyola in the nonleague and then be favored again to defend their Southeast Division title. Not bad considering where the program was when Maggiore tooK over.
“When I started in 1996, there wasn’t a lot of pride around here and passion for football,” Maggiore said. “I think people might see us a little differently now as compared to after we won in ’04. We might have stepped the program up a little bit. I want to be able to play the teams like Amat, Loyola and Mater Dei and beat them, not just play with them.
“I know we’re going to be competitive every year, but the basis for everything starts in the weight room. We start in January.”

TRIBUNE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, CHRIS SOLOMON, WEST COVINA
Standing out on a team of standouts is not an easy thing to do, but West Covina High School’s Chris Solomon did just that in 2010.
The Bulldogs went 13-1, routed the Hacienda League and won the CIF-Southern Section Southeast Division thanks to a bevy of big plays that came from any number of talented skill players. At the heart of it all was Solomon, the go-to running back who never disappointed in the rare moments his team needed something clutch to happen.
After rushing for 1,958 yards, 23 touchdowns, returning a kickoff for touchdown, making 90 tackles on defense, including 12 for a loss, recovering four fumbles and taking two back for scores, Solomon is the Tribune’s 2010 Player of the Year.
“Honestly, I never thought I would be able to be Player of the Year,” Solomon said. “When I was younger, like 8 or 9, I was one of those young guys looking at the high school field and saying ‘Imagine if I could be one of those guys.’
“Now, it’s here and I’ve won so many awards and broke so many records,it’s just like a dream.”
Only a junior, Solomon burst on the scene right away. While his teammates also get their fill of rushing yards and long touchdown runs, Solomon always had more.
After West Covina suffered a stunning loss to Covina in its season opener, Solomon helped the Bulldogs bounce back and announced his arrival by running for 298 yards and three touchdowns the following week in a win over Venice.
Once West Covina got into league play, Solomon was bent on making sure his team never had a close game. West Covina beat the Hacienda League by an average of 30 points per game.
During the Bulldogs’ Week 8 showdown with then-undefeated Bonita, Solomon rushed for 190 yards, three touchdowns and returned a kickoff 98 yards for another score.
“He does everything well,” West Covina coach Mike Maggiore said of Solomon. “He’s got speed to break runs, he’s strong enough to get tough yards and he’s the best blocking back we have.
“He’s just a competitor and winner. He lifts as hard as a lineman and he runs track to get faster.”
The games got progressively tougher for West Covina once the playoffs began. The Bulldogs got their first good game in months in the semifinals against Mayfair. That night, Solomon did his part by rushing for 105 yards and a touchdown.
A week later, in the biggest game of the season and on the biggest stage, Solomon helped West Covina beat Bonita for a second time by rushing for 149 yards and three touchdowns.
Solomon started playing football for the West Covina Bruins when he was 8 years old. Back then, he was a wide receiver. A few years later, he converted to running back and fell in love with the position due to the amount of times he could touch the ball.
With this award and a CIF title in tow, there will no doubt be huge expectations for Solomon going into his senior season. As you might expect, he’s ready for it.
“I believe I can be even be better,” Solomon said. “From now, all the way into next season, I’m going to work my butt off so I can be the best running back West Covina has ever had or just the best running back anybody’s ever seen … if they want to say that.
“I’m just here to play ball, enjoy high school and try to play at the next level.”

TRIBUNE OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, JALEN MOORE, BISHOP AMAT

Being named the starting tailback at Bishop Amat is a badge of honor considering its great past, which includes some of the San Gabriel Valley’s all-time greats like Eric Bienemy, Donnie McCleskey, Michael
Wagner, Daylon McCutcheon and Rodney Sermons.
Amat’s Jalen Moore is well on his way to cementing his name along with those after a terrific junior season in which he helped the Lancers to an overall record of 9-2, and was named to the Serra League first-team list after rushing for 1,634 yards and 23 touchdowns.
Moore averaged 148 yards a game, rushing for a season-best 280 yards and four touchdowns against Loyola, which came after a 262-yard, two-touchdown performance against Crespi — both wins. Even in the
Lancers’ 38-30 loss to Alemany that cost them the league title, Moore did his best to keep them in it, rushing for 126 yards and four touchdowns. For his efforts, Moore has been selected the San Gabriel Valley Tribune’s offensive player of the year.
“Ever since I got here (Amat) I wanted to be the starting tailback,” Moore said. “I thought I had a pretty good year, but we didn’t reach our team goals. We want to come back next year and win the (Serra) league title and go deep in the playoffs. I think this year helped me get ready for my senior year. I can’t wait.” If Moore has another season similar to this one, he could finish among the top five in career rushing leaders at the school.
“It’s an honor to play here,” Moore said. “I always feel I can do anything as long as I put my mind to it. That stuff (individual goals) is fine, but winning is the most important.”

TRIBUNE DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, MAURICE DUPLEASIS, WEST COVINA
For West Covina High School linebacker Maurice Dupleasis, the ending couldn’t have been scripted any better.
Dupleasis’ game-changing second-half interception in the CIF-Southern Section Southeast Division championship game against Bonita helped turn the tide in one of the most exciting finals in recent memory, won by the Bulldogs 37-33 in a fourth-quarter shootout that will be talked about for years to come.
“You can’t explain how good it feels, you really can’t,” Dupleasis said. “We were down the whole game and came back and won it. It still hasn’t hit me. It’s great knowing that five, 10 or 20 years from now, that’s my memory of my last high school football game.”
Dupleasis was the heart and soul of the Bulldogs’ defense and was named the Hacienda League’s defensive player of the year.
Dupleasis, who averaged 9 1/2 tackles and almost two sacks per game, was named to the Tribune first-team for the second consecutive year, and also has been selected the area’s defensive player of the year after leading the Bulldogs to a 13-1 record.
“You never know where hard work will lead you,” Dupleasis said. “I didn’t start playing football until I was a freshman. My junior year I started working out a lot and my senior year it was the same. You get what you put into it.
“I would never have guessed this is where I would be when my senior year ended. It was a great ride.”

Tribune players of the Year (1969-present)
1969 Fred McNeil, Baldwin Park RB
1970 Pat Haden, Bishop Amat QB and John McKay Jr., Bishop Amat WR
1971 Mike Vicino, Royal Oak RB
1972 Rob Hertel, Los Altos QB and Ron Himes, Walnut QB
1973 Dennis Sproul, Los Altos QB
1974 Brian Bethke, South Hills QB
1975 Richard Nyden, Azusa QB
and John Van Vuren, South Hills RB
1976 Bob Epps, West Covina DL
1977 Don Roberts, Temple City RB
1978 Ron Stivers, West Covina RB
1979 Ray McNeill, El Monte WR
and Danny Trejo, Baldwin Park WR
1980 Bill Stone, Charter Oak RB
1981 Blake Smith, Los AltosQB
and Steve Lauter, Los Altos WR
1982 Mike Smith, Los Altos QB
1983 Randy Tanner, Bishop Amat; Paul Hewitt, Monrovia
1984 Michael Johnson, Baldwin Park QB
1985 Eric Bieniemy, Bishop AmatRB
1986 Eric Bieniemy, Bishop Amat RB
1987 Bill Gallis, Northview QB
1988 Jason Martin, Los Altos TE/DB
1989 Marshawn Thompson, Bassett RB
1990 Jason Patterson, Bishop Amat FB/DE
1991 Marc Ruiz, Baldwin ParkQB
1992 Lawrence Phillips, Baldwin Park RB-DB
1993 Miguel Meriwether, West Covina QB/DB
1994 Daylon McCutcheon, Bishop Amat RB/FS
1995 Oscar Interiano, Sierra Vista RB
1996 Oscar Arzu, Sierra Vista RB
1997 Nick Covarrubias, Covina QB/DB
1998 Steve Stevenson, Charter Oak WR/RB/DB
1999 Jason Wright, Diamond Bar, RB/DB
2000 – Felipe Aguilar, Los Altos, QB
2001 – Donnie McCleskey, Bishop Amat RB
2002 – Daniel Drayton, Randall Brown, Los Altos RBs/DBs
2003 – Brigham Harwell, Los Altos DE
2004 – William Wagner, Bishop Amat RB
2005 – Mike McDonough, Covina QB
2006 – Mike McDonough, Covina QB
2007 – Dorian Wells, South Hills, RB
2008 – Chris Allen, Charter Oak, RB
2009 – Adam Muema, Charter Oak, RB
2010 – Chris Solomon, West Covina, RB

Tribune coaches of the Year (since 1988)
1988 Dwayne DeSpain, Los Altos
1989 Mark Pasquarella, Covina
1990 Tony Zane, Baldwin Park
1991 Tony Zane, Baldwin Park
1992 Mark Paredes, Bishop Amat
1993 Don LeGro, Sierra Vista
1994 Tom Salter, Bishop Amat
1995 Dick Sheehan, Covina
1996 Tom Caines, Wilson
1997 Frank Alonzo, Mountain View
1998 Terry Roche, Diamond Bar
1999 Larry Hatley, Bonita
2000 – Steve Bogan, South Hills
2001 – Matt Koffler, Rosemead
2002 – Greg Gano, Los Altos
2003 – Robert Oviedo, Wilson
2004 – Mike Maggiore, West Covina
2005 – Steve Bogan, South Hills
2006 – Lou Farrar, Charter Oak
2007 – Mark Pasquarella, Glendora
2008 – Lou Farrar, Charter Oak
2009 – Bill Zernickow, San Dimas
2010 – Mike Maggiore, West Covina

• Smallcitymc

Congrats to all players especially Jalen Moore, a well-spoken hardworking young man.

• http://jamal keeping it real…

Rio Ruiz all purpose 2nd Team? How??? He only played QB… Miguel also had all seniors on the west valley side, when clearly there were some under classman who were better.Fred, Miguel and Aram are trying to be politically correct here with name recognition….Some kid just robbed bc they put A qb as all purpose…come on guys thats not professional. What a joke. Are you guys going to get us this on time next year with the right people in the right spots?

• FredJ

We used the all-purpose on the second team for the quarterback because we thought quarterback was the most competitive position of the impact player positions. Think of some of the other talented QBs we couldn’t get on, like Arroyo’s Rivera, West Covina’s Johnson, Covina’s Livingston, Charter Oak’s Santiago, Glendora’s Jeffries, etc.

• Unreal…

Nice try guys…. but you missed. Adam Sanchez was a Second team receiver at minimum and Gener should have been the defensive player of the year. Congrats to West Covina on their CIF Championship but I doubt Dupleasis had more of an impact than Gener on the Defensive side of the ball. Offensive coordinators game planned around Gener, can you honestly say the same about Dupleasis?

When did Rio get switched to the ALL position? Either give him the nod at QB or don’t. You have effectively made him a third team QB. I will concede that he had some crucial turnovers but the kid also lit up the scoreboard and led his team to some impressive victories.

Guys… use this as motivation for next season to show the Trib team the mistakes they made.

Go AMAT!!!

• Blue and Gold Stud

Congrats to all selected players and to those that didn’t make either list. I’m sure that your contribution on the field will always be remembered by the fans & teammates there with you. Good luck at the next level.

FredJ, do you know where we could find a video link on youtube or some other website that we could see some video highlights of these players? I watch the ones the trib posts on the blogs but not all have been selected to the all area teams. Maybe you guys can set up a feed under the heading: SGV Tribune/Star News All Area Team 2010 that players or others could post their videos.

such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYONeAGX4qA

I would like to see how the other players played & how valuable they were to their respective teams since I was unable to attend any football games outside of Amat’s.

Good job on the mag.

• Just a Thought

Would you rather make 1st team All-Tribune and have to go play at a J.C. or make 2nd team and get a D1 scholarship?

• SGVFan

I fully understand why Maggiore was COY. He won the big games when they mattered and he got the ring. Just because I understand though does not mean I can’t formulate my own opinion. I thought that Coach Podley did everything to earn this award. And I’m sure that to a man, even Coach Maggiore would admit to that. I have heard from several people from the inside that he flat out admitted that Podley and staff “outcoached” them in the finals and that they were very surprised about some of the offense, defense, and special team schemes that they saw from Bonita.

That’s only half of it, however. The man risked his personal health throughout the entire year and sacraficed a whole lot in order to have the season that the Bearcats had. He is highly respected among his coaching peers and I would think that several of his opponnents would also admit to the amazing coaching job he does.

• Just HS

Just a T

You are right on! That’s why Fred is a writer and doesn’t understand the next level. But to their defense it’s just HS football. Next level at any level is a big step and a lot of these players won’t see the field.

• FredJ

I don’t understand the next level? All-Area teams area based on the season you have, not your stock at the next level. Like I have said a million times, it’s no different than college football. Is the Heisman Trophy winner the first-round pick in the NFL draft? Hardly ever, in fact, sometimes the Heisman winner doesn’t get drafted at all.

• Bob

I have a question.It shows this story was written at 2:40AM. Fred where you just getting home or did you wakeup early ??

• FredJ

Good try Bob, I can pre-schedule when entries are released, which I do a lot. This way I can dictate the order in which I want them displayed each day. Man, I hate typing in the catcha each time I post.

• Aaron

It’s a very good list.

• SomeoneWhoKnowsSomeoneWhoKnowsSomeoneInside

SGVFan

Not sure who you know on the “Inside” at West Covina, but there is no one on the Varsity staff who feels they got “outcoached”. They feel that Bonita played much better the second time than the first and West Covina made some mistakes they didn’t make the first time. The biggest difference from first to the second game was turnovers and special teams. Both teams gained the same amount of yards. Both teams ran similar schemes to the first game with similar results. The biggest difference was the kickoff team for Bonita setup 1 TD for and kept WC from getting 2 other TDs they got in first game. 21 point swing. You also had a TD setup by a WC fumble. 28 point swing. I would say that the special teams and how well Bonita played were the difference in the 2 games. I wouldn’t venture that Bonita outcoached West Covina. Who is your source, the Frosh Assistant Line coach?

• CO Conqueror

This is a joke! There are so many better football players from so many better schools that should be on this list. As someone from the I.E. I even know that this list is not the best of what the SGV has to offer! Who picks these?

• BHs

Bonita coaches did out coach west covina Coaches. The defensive coach for wc was clueles. He never found a way to stop Bonita, they were moving the ball effortless. Now did the WC players out play Bonita. I would say YES! Bonita coaches had a way better game plan.

• JFR

Why do Monrovia, Rosemead and Alhambra have to same kids on both papers teams? In the past Monrovia and Alhambra have been covered by the star news, this takes away from more than worthy kids on the east side who would love this honor. If this is the way you go about it shouldn’t Maggiore and Maddox be CO-COY.

BHS

You may be correct, but not many teams did stop you late in the season. Bonita was very very good on offense and Pendleton couldn’t miss in the finals. They ran the same scheme, but executed better. Like I said, the difference from game 1 to game 2 was special teams and the Bonita kids played much better game 2 than game 1. Maybe the staff had them more ready to play. I will close with this. With 3 Minutes left, Bonita drove the field for a FG. With 1:40 left, WC drove the field for a TD. That was your difference in both games. WC scored TDs and Bonita too often settled for FGs. Is that poor red zone offense or is that a bend but not break defense. It’s all in your frame of reference. Both teams were great teams in different ways. 2 very different ways on offense that in reality neither defense stopped. Notice I didn’t sit here and say your DC was an idiot for giving up 700 + yards rushing in 2 games combined, because he’s not. And I didn’t say that WC outcoached Bonita. I think that at the end of the night West Covina made a few more big plays than Bonita players did. Bonita had chances and didn’t make all of them. WC had chances and made enough of them.

• Steve Ramirez

Just at thought: That would depend what junior college? Maybe its to Mt. SAC, which this year would have beat a handful of FBS and FCS teams. San Jose State, New Mexico and Washington State come to mind.
    Just a thought….

• SOLOnation20

West Covina High School’s

CHRIS SOLOMON 2010 Junior Highlight Tape

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQLY10DVoFY

This is a MUST SEE video!!!

• AMAT 73

Congratulations to all making these lists and for all your efforts in making the past season enjoyable for all.Also to the many who did not make the list congratulations also for your fine efforts on the field because the guys on the lists couldn’t have had the seasons they did without your help along the way.

keeping it real,
    Rio did play a small time at d-back in the Tesoro game showing his versatility as all purpose and he can also fill in at wide receiver. In making an all star team which is basically what this is you have to find a way to put him on the team even if it is second team. No politics involved just smart thinking.

Unreal,
    If the Men in Blue need this as motivation for next season we are in deep trouble.

• keeping it real…

Amat 73,

You sound like you have no Idea what you are talking about….
    Rio Ruiz is a athlete no doubt. The kid has game for sure.If he would have stayed at WR he would have been a first teamer. I am not a hater.but come on…

Rio Ruiz had 2000 yrds passing
    Rio Ruiz had 126 rushing yards
    Rio Ruiz had 0 Recieving yards
    Rio Ruiz had 0 tackle
    Rio Ruiz had 0 interceptions
    Rio Ruiz had 0 punt or kick return yards

Now you tell me if these are “All Purpose” numbers? This is name recognition point blank. Fred j came with weak excuse that QB was the most competitive position. The Two Qb’s on the first and second teams had the best seasons. Thats how it goes.

• BHS

Why was my post not put on here.

• http://rise.espn.go.com/football/articles/2011/California/01/23-CA-All-State-Medium-Schools.aspx 2010 Cal-Hi Sports All-State Medium Schools Football Teams:

FIRST TEAM (Offense)
    WR Aubrey Coleman (Walnut) 6-5, 215, Sr.
    OL Allen Brown (San Dimas) 6-4, 270, Sr.
    FIRST TEAM (Defense)
    DL Ellis McCarthy (Monrovia) 6-5, 295, Jr.
    DB Chris Solomon (West Covina) 6-1, 185, Jr.
    SECOND TEAM (Offense)
    PK Brandt Davis (Bonita, La Verne) 5-11, 155, Soph.
    SECOND TEAM (Defense)
    LB Maurice Dupleasis (West Covina) 6-0, 220, Sr.
    SECOND TEAM (Multi-Purpose)
    QB/RB Garrett Pendleton (Bonita, La Verne) 6-1, 190, Sr.

• 2010-11 ALL CIF SOUTHERN SECTION FOOTBALL SELECTIONS

(Selected by the Football Coaches Assn.)
    SOUTHEAST DIVISION
    Offensive Player of the Year Chris Solomon, West Covina
    Defensive Player of the Year Maurice Dupleasis, West Covina
    Coach of the Year Mike Maggiore, West Covina
    OFFENSIVE TEAM
    Pos. Name School Ht. Wt. Yr.
    Back Max Gama, La Mirada 12
    Back Elijah Penny, Norwalk 12
    Back Ulises Ochoa, Burbank 12
    Back Richard Alvarez, La Serna 12
    Back BJ Lee, West Covina 12
    QB Chris Solomon, West Covina 11
    QB Andrew Buenrostro, La Serna 12
    Lineman Justin Northern, Mayfair 12
    Lineman Joseph Gibson, West Covina 12
    Lineman Isaac Luata, La Mirada 12
    Lineman Dixxon Diaz, Norwalk 12
    Lineman Darrell Cheng, Arcadia 12
    Lineman Mike Cortez, West Covina 12
    Lineman Phil Alonzo, La Serna 12
    Receiver Aubrey Coleman, Walnut 12
    Receiver Taylor Lagace, Arcadia 11
    Receiver Andrew Rosales, La Serna 12
    Receiver Steven Hernandez, Santa Fe 12
    Receiver Matt Gelalich, Bonita 12
    Utility George Johnson, West Covina 11
    Kicker Pavle Atanackovic, Crescenta Valley 12
    DEFENSIVE TEAM
    Pos. Name School Ht. Wt. Yr.
    Back Anthony Molina, West Covina 12
    Back Jerry Smith, Mayfair 12
    Back Christian Ballesteros, La Serna 12
    Back Christian Mahlstede, Santa Fe 11
    Back Jacoby Carter, Diamond Ranch 12
    Back Garrett Horine, Bonita 11
    Lineman Justin Meaders, West Covina 11
    Lineman Toionou Faamatua, Norwalk 12
    Lineman Howard Vaughn, Muir 12
    Lineman Ivan Ramirez, La Serna 12
    Lineman K.C. Huth, Bonita 12
    Lineman Nick Brown, Burroughs/B 12
    Lineman John Pale, Mayfair 12
    Linebacker Maurice Dupleasis, West Covina 12
    Linebacker Craig Jones, La Serna 11
    Linebacker Victor Wei, Arcadia 12
    Linebacker Ryan Seidler, Burbank 12
    Linebacker Eric Mikity, Bonita 12
    Utility Casey Barbello, Burroughs/B 12
    Utility Jake Houts, La Serna 12
    Punter Manuel Meza, Santa Fe 12

• AMAT 73

keeping it real,
    Follow your blog name and keep it real . Of course Rio had no receiving yards as it is very hard to catch your own pass . Just because the stats aren’t there does not mean they could not be accomplished. As someone had mentioned during the season maybe Hags should have used Rio a bit more in the defensive backfield but the injury factor is there so maybe not. Doesn’t mean he could not do it , as he did prove he could in 09 and also catch passes. I totally see what Fred is doing by placing him there if he is using the all purpose for the best of the rest of the QBs . If you can’t see that then you are the one who does not know the game.

• first team

Congrats to all the boys on the lists. It was a fun HS football season. I do have to agree with “keeping it real” Rio is not all purpose. He is a QB, but the powers that be couldn’t keep of the list or there would be hell to pay. Don’t get me wrong Rio is a decent ball player, he just was the fourth or fith best QB in the area and shouldn’t have made the list.

• eye in the sky

WOW,
    Fred do you even research your work? Its easy to pick bandwagon favorites, where are? peter nonu, south hills, george johnson, west covina, nick hynes,covina,dakota mendoza,glendora, and steven blunt, azusa. Maybe it is the editors fault for not seeing your total lack of insight into sports. Your not even worthy of carrying a place kickers jockstrap, go back to covering T-ball games at the local park.Next time atleast use maxpreps as one of your resources.

• FredJ

Wow, sorry, we don’t put 80 guys on the first and second teams like some of the leagues do, all those names you mentioned means someone else would have to come off … not that easy.

• Child Please!

Of course “keeping it real” is right:
    Whats going to happen next year when the 5th or 6th best receiver can’t make the all valley team? are you just going to put him on 1st team all valley as an offensive lineman?
    Fred, you should be embarrassed with this maneuver. “All purpose” is for the kid that does it all: rushing, receiving, tackling, interceptions, punt returns, kick returns etc. and not for a kid that happens to play at your favorite school and has name recognition because your constantly writing about him. If you wanted him on the team then you should have placed him on the 1st or 2nd team at the qb position and taken your lumps from the blogers for your opinion but to place him at the “all purpose” position makes a mockery of the entire process.

fyi – Efo Ekpre should have been your “All Purpose” player

• Aaron

Just looking at a few similarities here:

Garrett Pendleton 1st Team All SGV, All Hacienda OPY, 2nd Team All State, 2nd Team All Inland Valley

Daniel Kessler Inland Valley POY, Sierra League OMVP, 2nd Team All SGV

Just saying that these two got selected by two papers because they are in a gray/black area.

• http://www.insidesocal.com/tribpreps/2011/01/tribune-coach-o.html Anonymous

I hope the boys enjoyed this magazine and write-up on them. I really enjoyed it. Regardless of if a player made this list or not, im sure if they were a big time player then they received recognition from their coaches. I did some research on the ALL offensive player because I didnt understand what it meant and that kid has some talent. He’s the same kid who runs track also right? Check out his highlight from this season. Anybody know where he’s playing college ball?

Here’s the highlight for Beejay Lee:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Wi9msRC2I

• Don

Congratulations to all of the boys named here and like Amat73 said, to the guys not named as well. Props too for Aram, Fred, Miguel, and Steve. You guys get better at this every year. Keep that Strunk and White nearby.

Those not liking the Trib version need only to check out the coach/ad version at: http://www.cifss.org/admin/images/news_file/1296167593_FOOTBALL%20ALL%20CIF%202010.pdf Talk about your politicking. Oh baby. Lots to smirk at there. The problem though, is when you start cracking on how many games a guy played or what position a kid is named at or how many LB’s or Receivers are listed, you start down that old slippery slope. Better to just take the lists for what they are.

I do agree with FJR about comparing prospects against the all-star lists, two different subjects especially considering how many bounce backs we see locally every year; kids who have great Senor seasons but find big time college sports more than they bargained for and end up back home. The guys named here, whether they ever play another down of football or not, had a great 2010 and are being recognized for it. Good deal.

• FredJ

Child, you going to make the same complaints about the Southeast Division selected by coaches, Pendleton’s not on it and Solomon is listed as a QB …

• Brandon

Is it just me or is this all area team a little dumb?
    How is it that guys who are going on full rides to division 1 Pac-10 schools to play football next year on satudays on second team?

Aubrey coleman basically was going to go to washington if he would have taken the right classes

how about eric mikity?
    Mikity had a 162 tackles
    .6 sacks a game

#1 in league tackles
    #1 in section division tackles

mikity crushes maurice dupleasis
    Stat Eric Mikity Maurice Dupleasis
    Tck 111 78
    Ast 51 46
    Tot 162 124
    Tckl/G 11.6 9.5

not saying maurice isnt good but give credit where credit is due ive gone up against both of them and i can tell you that mikity is a lot more quicker and agil and least able to get blocked as well as maurice would

they both played in the same league also sooooooo nice job tribune is this a popularity contest?

• David

Aubrey Coleman got second team really?
    damn those other receiver must have had monster seasons, i figured those he was best in the area(rufus is very good too), I though tsukada from walnut would get at least second team he had sixty some receptions, four or five return tds, along with a few ints. I guess local receivers are getting better. but if you want to see coleman’s highlights here they are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3LE_qTM7aY

• just sayin’

AMAT 73, keeping it real, and Child Please – Ruiz was the full time punter at the beginning of the season. So he played QB, Punted and some DB. and Child – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu was 1st team DB. Would you rather he be 2nd team All Purpose – Child please!

• CH Husky Fan

Just sayin’ : Ifo would have been first team All purpose, not 2nd team.

• CH Husky Fan

• CH Husky Fan

• NotSince1995

Fred

You, the Tribune, and your advertisers would have gotten a hell of a lot more bang for your buck about 4 weeks ago…!

This list is lame. It shows your usual favorites and frankly nobody cares anymore. Look at the number of postings this has received…! Remember the Pre-season Mag! Big difference!

Pre-season had a lot of insight, commitment, and showed team work. This thing yesterday looked like the PennySaver slapped together and shoved into the middle of the Tribune just to get it over with…!

Rosemead, Alhambra, Asuza…? You kidding me…? Really…?

These guys would be 2nd string on east valley schools. Little Eddie…? Really? Nothing against you Eddie. Its just that playing against Orduno of the BishopNation, Enriquez of CHHS, or Orosco of Charter Oak would have been a whole different world for you kid…! That’s all! And you’re not alone on this list. I just happen to pick you as an example. Take it and run!

Fred, you guys did a great job on the Pre-Season Mag then let everybody down when it most mattered.

Kind of reminds me of a BishopNation Football Season…! Hah…!

Weak Fred! Very Weak…! Step Up Your Game, Fred!

Not in 2011 Either…

• JFR

Fred,

I never got an answer from my post yesterday, why are Monrovia, Alhambra and Rosemead kids on the tribune and Pasadena stars teams? Monrovia and Alhambra have been covered by the star in the past, what gives. This took away from five or six kids in the east valley who by the way seems to dominate the hall of fame game.

• FredJ

JFR, No kids lost spots, we put together an all-encompassing SGV team, which was made up of players that were on the Tribune and Star-News first-team. That was an important factor in this, there were 25 players chosen on the Star-News and Tribune team, just like years past. From those 50 spots, we chose an all-encompassing team. In fact, we went one further on each side and also recognized an offensive and defensive player of the year, which we hadn’t done in previous years.

Notsince 1995 — I haven’t cared what you said all season, and don’t care now…

• I got one for you!

How about Charter Oak Defensive Player of The Year that also received 1st team all Sierra-League LB and 1st team all Inland Division LB…Nick Alexander? I thought he would be on this list for sure after a monster season.

• 4daRecord

Rio Ruiz “MAY HAVE” played a total of 4 plays at DB for Amat last year. Hardly enough for anyone to consider him a “defensive player”. At QB he definnately had an impact on his team and did a hell of a job there as well; however, as anything else I would have to disagree w/the RR posse.

• Really??

Steve R

Not a chance against any of those teams. Stick with HS dude…

• Aaron

No Chance against the bottom dwellers in the PAC-10…are you serious? You have no idea the level that Mt SAC plays at under Jastrab…think about this they lost the state title last year by I think three points for their only loss. This year they moved to a tougher conference and they still won state and the national JC Title…think about it.

• Know your customer

great…fred doesn’t care what his customers think. i am sure the owners of the paper do care.

• Football Observer

Not to take away from Mt. Sac, the players at Mt. Sac or the coaches at MT. Sac Buuuutt, Just as the level of competition changes from level to level i.e. High School to College, it also progresses from Jr. College to Four year College. Played both and whether you believe it or not…it does. Sure there are guys who could play at four year and are at a JC for whatever reason but at the four year schools they ALL CAN PLAY AT THAT LEVEL. I’m all for giving our Juco players their props but I’m not gonna take any away from the four year guys either. Mt. Sac gets handled by a “Bottom level” Pac 10 school, New Mexico, SJSU or other four year DI school. Some of you guys really need to get off the “Crack and Kool-Aid Diet!!!”

• Katrib

I believe George Katrib should’ve made this list

• Dad

I believe my son should have made this list too.

• Confused

FredJ,
    If you say this list was made up of players from all the 1st team all league players,
    then why was 1st team all hacienda league, Diamond Bar Kicker Brian Drulias left off.
    And why was Jeff Stamp, also a hacienda league kicker for Diamond Ranch get put on.

Your reasoning is in big question here Fred. Id apreciate a response.

• Dan

SomeoneWhoKnowsSomeoneWhoKnows,
    I couldn’t agree more with your 2 post. In the end both Coaches and staffs from WC and Bonita had excellent years and both are deserving but you gotta give it to WC for winning both games over Bonita. To you Bonita fans, Podley and crew did a great job, I wish him a full recovery with his health so that he can continue to lead a solid program over there at Bonita. Also to keep a strong rivalry going between our schools. With that said, lets also keep this in perspective, Bonita wasn’t some talentless team that Podely coached up into the championship game, this was Bonita’s most loaded team since at least the 99 season, they were stacked with more talent than most other teams in the area and also in the Southeast division, I saw them this summer at the Bonita passing tournament and knew they would be a major contender in the division. Credit has to be given to Maggiore and staff for beating such a talented team as Bonita twice in one season, it’s very tough to do that with a team that has pretty much the same talent level as your team.

• SGV FOOTBALL

I dont know how Ifo Ekpre-Olomu was not player of the year! There was no one in the SGV and that could match up against him.

If you dont believe me look at his recruiting trail no one comes close to the University he committed to.

Fred, I tend to normally agree with you but I think the voters dropped the ball on this one. If not POY at least add him to the all purpose.

• Aaron

Confused…now you have me confused. Brandt Davis was the best kicker in the Division…hell he made second team all state.

• FredJ

Confused, I never said our list was made up of first team all league teams, I said the all encompassing was created from players named to the Tribune and Star-News first teams…

• BHS

Dan and someone who knows nothing,

The WC did a bad job coaching at the championship game. Especially the DC. They made no adjustments and the game plan was bad. If it wasn’t for the few players on that team that are just Great football players they would have not had Won. You can’t coach heart and talent. All i am saying is that the coaches should have spent more time game planning especially the DC.

• In the know

SGV Football,
    No one comes close to the school that Ifo committed to? I know a couple kids that had offers from schools equal to his. For unknown reasons only the kid and his family know the reasons why to go somewhere else. So dont put your spin on how great he is because of the school he committed to. Dont get me wrong he’s a great athlete just choose your words better.

• john clayton

if u combine bishop amat and charter oak they wax this all valley team

• Dan

BHS,
    As was said earlier, two great offenses at work,
    the WC dc did no worse than the Bonita dc. Which adjustments do you suggest he should have made on defense? Bonita could not stop the WC offense but WC stopped themselves with the turnovers. Both teams had great players in the game, the biggest difference in the two games was WC turning the ball over for the first three series of the third quarter, otherwise WC probably wins this game by a few scores. I give the WC staff credit for not letting their boys give up through the adversity they faced during that third quarter. I also thought they did a great job with play calling, namely their timing of certain plays called that caught Bonita off guard.

• are you serious????

John clayton, are you serious? Bishop and Charter Oak together would not Crush the all valley team…. are you serious LOL… That was the most stupid thing Ive ever heard.

If you forgot Chino Hills Beat Tesoro, who beat Bishop and West Covina Waxed Glendora, who beat Charter oak. Sooo If you just combing Chino Hills and West Covina, That team would beat Bishop/Charter oak team…Now if you combined all the players from the All valley team and Match them up against Bishop and Charter Oak teams, it would be 55-14 in favor of the all valley all stars. LOL I know you were BS ing lol just admit it.

• Huskies

If you put CH vs and AMAT/CO team, CH will wax them!!! BTW, no reason to put Rio at 2nd team all purpose. BJ Lee 2nd team all purpose, then you slip in IFO at first team all purpose! It’s that simple, it’s easier to find another DB that’s more worthy of a spot, than putting RIO as AP!!!

Out of control!

• just askin’

Huskies – so you want to demote BJ Lee just because you have it in for Ruiz? Why should Lee be moved from 1st to 2nd team? Then you want to fabricate another DB to take Ifo’s place – even though Ifo is already 1st team? Makes no sense

• kh

lets see who goes farther in football,
    w/c lb def-ply of year or
    bonita lb d-p-year.
    you know were my moneys @.

• anonymous-SGV Fan

Take it easy Pup! Despite losing to tesoro Bishop Amat handles your azz last year and even this year! Pop off at the mouth all you want and sure if I were you I would ride the “we beat them, who lost to them , who beat them” argument for all its worth because in REALITY your azz still gets handed to you on the field of play. Taking nothing away but tesoro was better “that night”. You better hope for a lucky night too because co-chino hills is no Alemany either (AMAT’s only other loss).

• JG

Dan Well said if WC didn’ fumble 3 times in succession, it would have been a totally different score, I mean what game was BHS watching, Bohi was settling for field goals, while WC was scoring touchdowns.

• Dan

Chino Hills and Amat would have been a nice game, each seems capable of beating the other. For those arguing over who would have beaten who, all this talk is meaningless, no way to know who would have won, whether it’s Chino Hills, Amat, Bonita, or West Covina. The only way would have been to line the teams up on the field. You can’t go by common opponents, nor can you go by who won in years past, each year has a different team. Chino Hills fans can say they beat Tesoro who beat Amat, well guess what, Bonita can say the same thing about beating Claremont who beat Chino Hills, each argument is as valid as the other but niether argument proves anything. It’s been a great season, would have been nice to have seen Amat vs CH, or a WC vs either of those teams, or Bonita vs CH or Amat, all would have been good games, but no matter how sure you think you are of who would have won, it still ends up to being your opinion that can’t be proven. In the end we’ll never know.

KH,
    You’ve lost money betting against West Covina all year you sure you want to go in that
    direction? lol.

John Clayton,
    You can’t be serious, I think your getting a little dizzy.

Fred,
    I know you guy’s can’t catch everything but
    George Johnson should have been one of your all purpose players, he was a legit two way player with big plays on both offense and defense all year long.
    He was a gutsy quarterback who used both his arms and legs, he came through in big moments to lead his championship team.
    One of the many things that made him fun to watch was often times he would put a suprise on a tackler by lowering his shoulder and putting the tackler on his back at the end of his runs, other times he would juke a would be tackler out of his pants on his way to a key first down or long touchdown run. He played on defense all through the year, made many big hits and caused some key fumbles that turned games around.
    Fittingly he capped the Bulldog season by scoreing the winning touchdown in the closing seconds of his teams dramatic championship win.
    One thing for sure, he has a CIF ring that I’m positive he wouldn’t trade for any accolades that he might have missed out on.

• kh

dan.
    i dont bet on kids football games or party with them either.