Boys Hoops: The biggest game in La Verne history is set, Bonita and Damien will meet in quarters; Bishop Amat, Walnut advance; Covina loses heartbreaker to No. 2 Maranatha, 54-52

All Scores Posted: Overall it was a big night for boys hoops, Northview and La Verne Lutheran also win, even Rowland gave one-loss Peninsula all it could handle before losing by ten, and La Puente lost in overtime to JSerra. Our Inland friends, Ayala and Chino Hills, both lost.

For a team that hadn’t led the entire night, Maranatha’s 6-foot-5 senior forward Stephen Van Spronsen calmly turned to Minutemen coach Tim Godley as the third quarter ended and told him not to worry, that he would find a way to get it done. With point guard Jeremy Major fouled out with nine points an all-everything guard Josh Chamberlain struggling to get open looks, Van Spronsen delivered on cue, hitting a running banker in the lane off glass with 25 seconds left to lead Maranatha to a 54-52 come-from-behind victory over Covina in the second round of the CIF-Southern Section Division 4A playoffs on Friday. (To continue, click thread).

CIF-Southern Section Boys Basketball playoffs results
Friday’s second round

Division 1AA
Etiwanda 86, Chino Hills 54
Division 1A
Walnut 56, Quartz Hill 52
Division 2A
Palos Verdes Peninsula 59, Rowland 49
Gahr 77, Ayala 57
Division 3AA
Price 72, Nogales 50
La Verne Lutheran 80, Moorpark 39
Division 3A
Bonita 60, San Marcos 46
Damien 54, Woodbridge 27
Division 4AA
Northview 66, St. Francis 54
Bishop Amat 71, Palos Verdes 59
Division 4A
JSerra 64, La Puente 58, OT
Morningside 78, Wilson 72
Maranatha 54, Covina 52

“This is a kid who hit a big shot like that to help us tie for the league championship from about the same spot,” Godley said of Van Spronsen, who scored six of his nine points in the fourth quarter. “He went out there and took it tonight. That was his mindset.”
Covina, which led by as many as 12 points late in the first half, had a chance to tie on its final possession.
Point guard Mike Peters, who led the Colts with 17 points, missed a game-tying 12-foot attempt with 6.9 seconds left, but the Colts got the ball back and called timeout.
On the inbound, 6-foot-6 Justin Mason got the ball down low for the Colts, but he couldn’t convert and a scramble for the ball ended out of bounds with the Colts getting it back with .3 left, but they couldn’t get a shot off on the inbound and time expired.
Maranatha fans came pouring on the court in its second straight playoff thriller.
R.J. Straker, who finished with a game-high 18 points, hit the game-winning shot in the Minutemen’s 69-66 first-round win over Barstow.
Early-round games aren’t supposed to be this difficult for a second-seed like Maranatha (23-5), but it will take it.
The Minutemen advance to Tuesday’s quarterfinals at home against either Ontario Christian or Fillmore.
“Our problem has been we start slow,” Godley said. “This is a senior laden team for the most part, but they have a lot of heart. I get worried, but we were down further the last game and managed.
“You know, they have just been through so much. We played a tough schedule and they believe no matter what the situation, they can dig themselves out of it.”
Covina ended the season 17-12, but not without a fight.
The Colts raced to a 31-19 lead with 1:06 left in the first half, but the Minutemen slowly crawled back, taking their first lead 46-44 on Van Spronsen’s bucket with 4:20 left.
Although the Colts held Minutemen sharp-shooter Chamberlain to just 12 points, Chamberlain scored five quick points, the second a long 3-pointer to turn a 48-47 Colts lead into a 52-48 Minutemen lead with 1:30 left.
Peters answered with a 3-pointer to trim the deficit to 52-51 with 1:19 left, setting the stage for the wild finish.
“They’re just a good team,” Colts coach Will Bissman said of Maranatha. “Their starting five is legit, they don’t have a weakness at all.
“Our stud Peters did great, but I don’t think we got enough guys involved. We started standing around in the second half and kind of watched the show.
“But against a team like this, all you want is a chance to win in the end and we had that chance. It was a great game.”
Peters was the only player in double figures for the Colts. Ren MacAlalag finished with nine points and Nino Harrell scored eight.

Highlights and interviews from Chino Hill’s opening round win ..

• sgvpride

Where is the Rowland game? i heard at rowland?

• SGV Bball

Hopefully Rowland & Nogales can pull 2 big upsets tonight.. As they both face the #1 seed in their divisions..

• F

Rowland, Nogales, and Walnut will go down in flames tonight, can you say bye bye

• hoop fan

both rowland and nogales play at home. both games will probably be ugly..but i suggest to you some of you hoop fans to pay 8$ to see price or peninsula. both are worth the price of admission..if you want high flying action with highlight reel material, go to nogales…if you want some great half court sets and nose to the grindstone D, go to rowland….and as much as damien/bonita would be great for laverne…i dont think its going to happen..i can see 1, if not both going down tonight. san marcos and woodbridge play in very good leagues and are very good teams. but i really hope im wrong because i want to be there tuesday.

• show more respect

show more respect f

yes, they may lose but that is not very nice of you to have that kind of attitude
    everyone has their favorites, but that does not give you a right to put down everyone else who (obviously) are not yours

just my two cents

• CT

Final Score Lutheran High Trojans 80; Moorpark 39

• Fan 1

Price 72 Nogales 50

• Bcatfan

BONITA BOYS WIN 60-46. Anybody have the Damien score???

• http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvfootball Aram

La Verne is gonna be rockin on Tuesday night.

• 2nd round – End of the road Wilson

Morningside 78 – Wilson 52 – Great season Wilson, the best in 14 years, with 10 juniors returning next year led by B Kato, M Ng, JR Nelson, and J Ong – the bar will be set higher – Go LadyCats tomorrow

• Bfan

Covina Lost a heartbreaker tonight by 2 points to Maranatha.Great job by Coach Bissman and the young Colts.They will be a force next season.

• Watcher

Covina lost a heartbreaker to Maranatha tonight 54 to 52. Covina had a great season and Coach Bissmans young squad will be a force to reckon with next year.They made great strides during the year. They lost to the number 2 seed so nothing to hang your heads about fellas.Good luck Marantha as you advance to the next round.

• Watcher

What’s up with the loud music at the BB Games? Can you turn down the volume just a nothch.
    thanks.

• reality

Unless the posted scores are wrong I have not seen any Bonita team lose in any playoff game yet. Is that possible? I know someone will now post on how they will choke next round but that is quite an accomplishment and their fall teams did great too. Congrats Bonita coaches and students, you should be very proud.

• SGV Bball

The Nogales-Price game was exciting well the first half that is.. Tied @ 17 and Nogales up 2 at halftime.. But once that 2nd half began It was all Price.. Nogales gave it a good run..

• what gym??

Please tell me that Bonita’s crappy gym is not an option for the Damien v Bonita game on Tuesday, too small and one-sided. I don’t think CIF would permit that gym anyway, can’t produce enough ticket sales. Bonita always jumps at the chance of borrowing Damien’s gym anyway.

• Rob

Its at Damien already, they are the home team.

• Aaron

Seems someone let the tweedles in. We have no problem with Ellsworth Green gymnasium…I do like Damien’s Arena. Most high schools are one sided…if you think different you’re a fool.

• Dear Aaron

you use the word “most” – well for CA schools maybe – once again we see an example (such as football stadiums) of how insufficient our facilities are, and i have lived in 9 states and been to all 50 – wait until track season to get me going – high schools here with dirt tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, junior highs have better in many places elsewhere

• Aaron

The Wall with the Bearcat on it has been “temporary” since the gymnasium was built. It has now become permanent. The last bond passed had funds earmarked for a new gymnasium which is supposed to be two sided. It’s not nearly on the scale of the “Arena” that Damien has…but it will be nice if it ever gets built.

If you were a student there you would have appreciated it. I live in another state so don’t make the claim I am ignorant…and everywhere I travel I always look for the High School’s stadium…one of the nicest I’ve been to was Bozeman High School.

• just askin’

Aaron – didn’t San Dimas get approved to expand their gym also?

• Jackboy

Aaron,
    They broke ground for the new gym a month ago and are starting the foundation now; the gym should be ready sooner rather than later, possibly by next academic year.
    Good luck this Tuesday.
    Go Bearcats!

• Aaron

Jackboy,

Thanks for the news.