Boys Soccer: Ganesha holds on for 3-1 win over Bonita; Baldwin Park rallies, beats Lakewood 4-3 in sudden death OT; Glendora loses 1-0

Boys Soccer CIF semifinals
Friday’s games, 3 p.m.
Division 2

Claremont at Foothill
Division 4
Ganesha at Cathedral
Division 5
Los Amigos at Baldwin Park

Just got word that Baldwin Park scored twice in final ten minutes of regulation to force overtime, then won in suddent death, 4-3 .. Ganesha scored twice in the first six minutes and held on for a 3-1 win over Bonita ….La Puente lost a heartbreaker at home to top-seed Santa Monica, losing in a penalty shootout, 6-5, after a 1-1 tie in regulation and overtime. Also heard that Pomona lost in overtime at Cajon, 3-2. Glendora’s dream run in Division 1 ended in a 1-0 loss to Edison. Claremont scored a huge 2-1 victory over Valle View. Chino Hills couldn’t get anything going against La Habra, loses 2-0, and Diamond Ranch goes down 3-1 to Artesia.

There was never a feeling out process during Wednesday’s CIF-Southern Section Division 4 boys soccer quarterfinal between Ganesha and visiting Bonita, a match-up of the Montview and Hacienda League champions, respectively. The Giants made sure of that, scoring twice in the first six minutes, and again three minutes into the second half, which was too much for the Bearcats to overcome. (To continue, click thread)

CIF-SS Boys Soccer Playoff Results
Wednesday’s second-round
Division 1

Edison 1, Glendora 0
Division 2
Claremont 2, Valle View 1
La Habra 2, Chino Hills 0
Division 4
Santa Monica 1, La Puente 1, Santa Monica advances in PKs, 6-5.
Artesia 3, Diamond Ranch 1
Ganesha 3, Bonita 1
Division 5
Cajon 3, Pomona 2, OT
Baldwin Park 4, Lakeside 3, OT

Inland Insider Tom Kiss reporting on Chino Hills’ loss to La Habra

Below: Quick highlights from Claremont’s 2-1 win over Valle View … man I’m quick finding this stuff. Listen to the announcer, he was calling a play-by-play .. never heard that before.

Ganesha’s Noe Ahumada, Jose Gamboa and Alejandro Garcia all scored to lead the Giants (16-7-1) to a 3-1 victory and a date in Friday’s quarterfinals against either Cathedral or Norwalk at a site to be determined.
“I told our guys we had to execute in the first twenty minutes, but I didn’t anticipate putting two away that quickly,” Ganesha coach Damian Galvan said. “More than that, I thought we played a complete 80 minutes. We knew we were considered the underdog on paper, but I also knew we were good enough to handle it and get a win.”
Ganesha’s Jose Gamboa caught the Bearcats off guard with a long throw-in across the mouth to the back post, where Ahumada was there to head it home for a 1-0 lead in the third minute.
Then on a free kick from the right side, Eduardo Martinez hooked a cross into a crowd of players that Gamboa re-directed with a beautiful one-time shot off the side netting in the sixth minute to double the lead.
“If we could take back the first five minutes it would be a different game,” Bonita coach Adam Archibald said. “To their credit, they played their game on their field and we had a hard time adjusting.
“We had chances to get back in it, but it’s tough falling behind 3-0.”
Garcia finished Martinez’s cross in the 43rd minute to triple the Giants lead.
Bonita (16-5-5) finally scored on a great run up the left side from Leonardo Grigg, who slid a pass in front for Raul Martinez, who finished in the 60th minute to trim the Giants’ lead to 3-1.
Bonita’s Justin Andia broke free momentarily in the 67th minute, but before he could get a shot off, Giants defender Carlos Sanchez stuck his foot in to poke it away.
Grigg almost scored from a yard out in the 69th minute, but it was too little too late.
Bonita had a horrible time trying to create anything from the run of play and rarely strung more than two or three passes together — the wind, lumpy field surface and Giants players having a big say in all of it.
“The conditions were perfect for their (Giants) team,” Archibald said. “Anytime they would get their foot near something, they just kicked it away. It’s hard to get something going on the ground when you play on a field like this, and you play a team that constantly just knocks the ball away. Plus, the wind didn’t help.”
Ganesha prides itself on good passing too, but after jumping to such a big league, the plan was to disrupt the Bearcats’ rhythm and hold on.
“We knew they would come at us hard after we jumped in front,” Galvan said. “It was just a matter of us being composed and not doing anything stupid to give it away.
“I thought our goalkeeper (Felix Arambula) did a great job, and overall, our defense did a tremendous job not giving them too many opportunities.”

Braves win in OT, Warriors lose in PKs
In another Division 4 contest, La Puente nearly knocked off top-seed Santa Monica.
After a 1-1 tie in regulation and four overtimes, Santa Monica advanced in a penalty shootout, 6-5.
Baldwin Park kept its hopes alive in the Division 5 playoffs.
The Braves scored twice in the final ten minutes of regulation to force overtime, then Jaime Reyes scored in sudden death to secure an amazing come-from-behind 4-3 victory over Lakeside to advance to the quarterfinals for the third straight year.
“It was one of the most amazing games I’ve ever been part of,” Baldwin Park coach Ricardo Mira said.

• LA Soccer Dad

El Rancho’s Pancho scores in the last 10 minutes to move forward in playoffs. Any news on D Bar game?

• Anonymous

Glendora falls 1-0 against Edison.

• Bulldog1

kh,

What happened in basketball last night and Soccer today, your on a roll! Man, youre just the kiss of death. kh, the Grim Reaper of Bonita.

You were asking about our basketball team? what about your basketball team, can they beat the bearcats too. didnt see you guys last year in the finales. Karma sucks Huh, kh?

Well, it appears that losing is contagious at your place. I see that Choking isnt limited to Bearcat football.

I still dont know why you came looking for West Covina when I stated that we would finish ahead of Diamond Bar, maybe you thought I should have included Runner up High?

kh, Ill bet all the Bonita teams, parents and coaches just want you to shut the hell up! You are running out of sports to win a ring in this year, they should just change your name from Bearcats to Runner up or Chokers, actually, Chokers has a nice ring to it. I wonder what kind of mascot that would be?

I cant wait till March 14th, you should be 0 and 3 in league by the time we put the smack down to you. Johnson will be head hunting after that late hit your boy put on him! I cant believe with all that talent, you Runner ups/Chokers are blank on CIF championships this year. I cant believe Fred thinks you have a good baseball team! What possible reason could he possibly have knowing Choker Highs history in CIF?

kh, its time for you to kneel down and kiss the ring my friend, and give us the homage that is due us, weve had a fantastic year and I gotta say, you have been right there to watch the whole thing.

Bulldog fever.

• jmcdonough

Boy, how many times have you see this picture of Bonita watching the other team celebrate a victory over them? Its down right sad! Bonita has certain softness when it comes to its kids, they just have no Heart.
    Bulldogg, maybe your right, its time to change the mascot to something even softer than a baby kitten, how about Charman toilet paper? Just a thought

• Denise Reynolds

How bout a giant Marshmallow like Ghostbusters?

• Bulldog1

The Stay Puffed marshmallow man? No, something softer, hes too mean and scary!

• the Real Housewives of Walmerado

How long you going to hang on that ring littledog? Good football, nothing else and all you do is draw attention to it with your dribbles. Stick to fire hydrants. Props to for mommcdonough and the comment about softness. Maybe you covina pop warner types should be giving the la verne kids lessons about stuff like being tough. Maybe some about tagging crews, street gangs, and auto burglary too. What do you say mom? You know about all that stuff right?

• Bulldog1

Real Housewives,
    We win with class and humility and as far as academics, Im sure we dominate there as well. As for Bonita, the Throne is a nice place to be! One pick away, remember, football involves a ball, you were screwed going in! A classic choke job! You just made my point. Everybody knows The Real Housewives of Walmerado like it Bulldoggie style.
    Fred, its time to kneel down and kiss the ring and name us now, Americas Best in high school.
    Bulldog fever.

• hahah

you have one ring and you want to be called “America’s best in high school?”
    you’re a joke

• GHigh4Real

Ganesha boys are on their way to Cathedral and once again seem quietly confident. Bring us home a victory in the rain! Go Giants!

• Bearcat

Bulldog,
    You are proof that winning teaches nothing and that the setbacks in life are what makes you the strong person you are. You got your ring, but the BHS kids will grow to be stronger better people for having felt that disappointment. Grow up! You’re talking trash on a blog to someone (KH), who cares nothing for any sport other than the one his kid plays for. Get a life and leave the kids alone!