Above: You won’t find many better defensive catchers than Amat’s Jackie Carlin
1. Bishop Amat (7-1) — Not sure who can hang with them in the Del Rey and already off to a great start after going .500 last season.
2. Bonita (11-2) – The ‘Cats haven’t had many days off, already competing in three tournaments and winning twice. Looks like nothing’s wrong with them at all.
3. South Hills (7-3) — Since their shocking 3-2 loss to Northview in the Charter Oak tourney they’ve looked great, beating St. Lucy’s followed by wins over Covina and San Dimas.
4. Glendora (7-3) — Covered one game last week and already sensed a little friction in a loss to La Serna. The Tartans are too good for that, hope they get it together quick.
5. Ayala (3-3) — The Bulldogs played a tough nonleague schedule, but are 1-0 in league after beating Charter Oak, 5-3.
6. Charter Oak (7-4) — The Chargers can swing the bat and do enough in the circle to be competitive. They’re the type of team that can beat top contenders, but also lose to teams you never thought they would.
7. Claremont (8-1) — I kept hearing I had the Wolfpack ranked too high because they hadn’t played anyone. They finally played a good team in Chino Hills and lost 9-0. Shows what I know.
8. Chino Hills (4-2) — Huskies open league with a 9-0 win over Claremont.
9. West Covina (4-3) — After a slow start, Bulldogs have won three straight in getting ready for a wild Hacienda league race.
10. Northview (6-4) — You have to give it to them for knocking off South Hills, but the Vikes are like the rest of the Valle Vista. Good, but nothing great.