1. Bishop Amat ( 7-2) – Pitching doesn’t look like a concern anymore, Lancers allowing just three runs in last four, and have won seven straight since opening 0-2. They’re also No. 1 in D-4, and near the top of several Southland polls.
2. Bonita (7-2) — I finally discovered junior pitcher Justin Garza, who is one of the big reasons the Bearcats are No. 1 in D-3. What impresses me though most is the mojo, I still believe the Bearcats are the best sports school, and that this might be the team that finishes the job come championship time.
3. Glendora (6-2) — The Tartans’ 3-0 start in the Baseline is mighty impressive considering every Baseline League team has an overall winning record.
4. Chino Hills (8-2) – Already 3-0 in the Sierra win wins over Damien and South Hills, but can they hold on for the long haul? I’m not so sure.
5. Charter Oak (5-2) — Four game win streak snapped in 6-5 loss to Damien, but it’s early, Chargers will chase Sierra title to the end.
6. South Hills (5-3) – Without steady pitching in the Sierra League you’re asking for trouble. The Huskies have lots of talent, but not enough talent on the hill it appears.
7. Nogales (8-2) — Suffered a loss to San Dimas, but otherwise still an impressive overall record.
8. Covina (7-3) – The Colts are off to their best start in years, 3-0 in the Valle Vista with a chance to surge ahead against Nogales today.
9. San Dimas (6-4) — Covina and Nogales might be the feel-good favorites in the Valle Vista, but my money’s on the Saints when all is said and done.
10. Diamond Bar (4-5) – Pitchers Kenny Mathews and Henry Omana can only do so much. At some point, the Brahmas need to score runs.