Softball: Bonita takes care of streaking Los Altos 7-0 behind freshman pitcher Sanchez

By John Honell, Correspondent
Taking advantage of a fielding error in the first inning and getting another strong pitching performance from freshman Anissa Sanchez was enough for Bonita High School to stop the five-game winning streak of Hacienda League rival Los Altos on Wednesday. The Bearcats (13-2, 1-0) scored four unearned runs in the first inning and went on to beat the Conquerors 7-0.

“That error certainly helped,” Bearcats coach Ken Carlson said. “This was our first league game and we were a little nervous. We came out and did our business. We got some opportunities and took advantage of them.”

Starter Jennipher Solis of the Conquerors (7-3, 2-1) struggled with her control in the first inning but almost got out of trouble before a two-out error opened the flood gates for the Bearcats.

“We talked about that after the game,” Conquerors coach Ignacio Hernandez said. “There were two outs and we got a routine ground ball. It should have been 0-0 and it would have been a different ballgame.”

Courtney Gano, who transferred from Los Altos this year, celebrated her 18th birthday by scoring a pair of runs and going 1 for 2.

She also anchored the Bearcats’ defense with five assists and three putouts.

“I was a little nervous at first,” Gano said. “It was nice to see my old teammates, but I knew I just had to go out there and play my game and not think about it.”

Michelle Whitt capped the first-inning rally with a two-run single as she continued her hot hitting in only her third start behind the plate for the Bearcats.

“I thought I was going to play third base this year,” Whitt said. “Then I saw the opportunity to catch and took it. I love catching now and don’t know where else I’d play.”

Sanchez scattered three hits in picking up her 13th win of the season.

“Anissa is getting stronger,” Carlson said. “She’s developing her own mound presence. She getting more confident and getting her own demeanor and how she wants to attack the game.

“It’s fun to work with her and see her grow up.”

• really??

Uhhhhh, one defensive error does not cause the lack of hits & runs one needs to win a game…come on! 3 hits total?! do u really mean to say that the 1 error in the 1st, costing LA those runs, resulted in LA not being able to hit?? Did you look at the score coach hernandez? 7 to ZERO…not 7 to 3, or 7 to 4 or even 7 to 1!!! A team needs to be able to pick itself up from making an error and hit the ball to stay in the game. look at sh…down by 5 to ayala until the bottom of the last inning where they scored 6 to win it! (final 7-6) it takes FIGHT and CONFIDENCE that they can win…not BLAME. True, maybe the MOMENTUM changed…but a true leader leads them back to believe in themselves that they can get the job done. you might also want to give credit to the opposing pitcher…she may have had something to do with LA’s loss

• Los Altos Alum

Really????
    Wow…relax..this was a short blurb of an article..I am sure …in fact I know Coach Hernandez said more and gave much credit to Bonita..not only to the reporter but to his team…and yes many many times one bad play changes the momentum in a game. Pointing that out does not take anything away from Bonita…So relax and don’t start something where there isn’t anything to worry about..He was asked a specific question and answered it. CHILL…..

PS..Good job Bonita…we look forward to our next game.

• 888

Los Altos Alum,
    Well said! Hey Fred are you seriously still sticking with Amat as your number #1? With Amat barely and I mean barely beating Northview something has to click in that stubborn head of yours.(Like the obvious)

Bonita- Winning 2 tourneys and dominate over LA
    South Hills- beat bonita but loses to NV
    Chino Hills- good pitching and well rounded
    Ayala- still finding there own without terminator
    Glendora- In a tough league
    Charter Oak- better than record shows
    Amat- All the above would beat them
    West Covina- Time will tell how good they are
    Los Altos- Ran into a wall
    Northview/San Dimas- Battle for Valley Vista supremacy

• 888

CO 13 SH 3 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 888

Chino Hills 7 Ayala 0

Fred,
    Why don’t you just pay me to do your top ten analysis?

• Amat Dad

888, Do they drug test where you work? You did mention that Mountainview beat your #2 ranked team South Hills so how do you argue that Amat should be ranked lower? If anything, maybe you should rank Mountain View higher. Pitcher kept our girls off balance, simple as that,give her props. I take it you’ve seen all the teams you’ve mentioned, I haven’t, so I don’t bash. I give credit where it’s due.

• 888

Amat Dad,
    Lay off the crack pipe dude you must be talking about northview. Homie please ease up on the trigger finger dude we wouldn’t want you to get a nose bleed. NO body is bashing on anybody but yes I have seen all the above play including your team, fact all the above would beat your team by 5 period…………………….
    Northview is an average team at best very young and I’m sure will be a kick azz team in a year or two. It puzzles me though how Fred could be so delusional over the blue and gold like his hoo ya bah vum ranking of claremont I’m starting to worry about the guy. Rest assured its only a matter of time before the guru of girls softball realizes the truth and gets it right.

• just sayin’

888 – What Amat Dad asked is if Northview is an average team, Amat (barely) beat them -but Northview BEAT South Hills – how do you have SH at #2??? And if NV beat SH and SH beat NV…

• just sayin’

888 – What Amat Dad asked is if Northview is an average team, Amat (barely) beat them -but Northview BEAT South Hills – how do you have SH at #2??? And if NV beat SH and SH beat BoHi…

• Amat dad

888, Stand corrected, I did mean Northview. Still stand by what I say, how can you place SH ahead of Amat when the only common opponent was betaten by one and lost to the other? Maybe they’ll meet in CIF, after all they’re both D3 teams and it gets settled on the field, Until there’s a better format,I’m subscribing to Freds list.

• http://goirish 647f

St. Lucy’s 4 Claremont 0

• score

Corrected softball score:
    Charter Oak 14 – South Hills 3

• just askin’

888 – what was that you said about South Hills? Now they lose to CO? 14-3?

• 888

just sayin,
    Its not always about who beat who I take into consideration 1st seeing the teams play 2nd over all record 3rd quality of wins vs. losses. South Hills has wins over Bonita,Ayala,Claremont and St Lucy’s. Northview has wins over West Covina and South Hills. Common opponents are Bonita,Monrovia and Covina South Hills beat all three by a lot Northview beat two by one run while losing by 10 to the other. Bonita beat Northview by 10 and probably would beat them 9 out of 10 games. Bonita and South Hills would split games out of ten as did Bonita and Charter oak split already. After yesterdays loss to Charter Oak and Chino Hills shutting out Ayala by 7 Chino Hills easily moves into the #2 spot.

Amat Dad,
    Now you see the problem we have with Amat not playing teams in the valley with your comment about putting SH in front of them. Not taking away from what Northview has accomplshed this season beating South Hills was a huge win for their program but their not in the top 5 that represents the best of Freds San Gabriel Valley.Thus making my point of them being average for the area but still capable of beating anyone.You are correct we will see in the cif D3 playoffs how good each team is.

• 888

just askin
    CO is a very good team and now owns wins over Bonita and South Hills whats your point?

• 888

just askin’

You must also have read what I said about CO ” better than record shows”

• crockofsh-t

Amat Dad,
    Since your subscribing to freds list its only fitting for you to know He doesn’t even have Northview ranked lol.

• askin’ & sayin’

888- my point is maybe you’re giving more credit to SH, and therefore Bonita, for being such a good team.You can’t use the same point to argue both sides. You can’t drop Amat because they “barely” beat Northview, but not use the same rationale with South Hills for LOSING to them. Then when SH turns around and gets blown out by a team you have below them – I’m thinking you have SH way too high at 2? Are you on the crack pipe?

• askin’ & sayin’

• askin’ & sayin’

• 888

askin’ & sayin’
    You may be right but several other news publications had them ranked just as high. The sierra league is going to be a clutter of teams beating each other and clearly Chino Hills appears a step above the rest. My guess is any number teams from that league can peak at the right time and that league looks a hell of lot harder then yours. Good luck in your next four games looks to me you might need it.

• Amat Dad

crockofsh-t: When given both top 10 lists, I take Freds until there’s a better format. Maybe the Tribune should sponser a tournament that includes all SG Valley schools. They would be able to get a lot of publicity out of it and eliminate alot of guessing.

• CIF ready

No doubt, the Sierra League is up for grabs, especially with each team playing each other 3 times. It is the toughest in the SGV along with the Baseline League. One thing for sure, whoever survives, they will be ready for CIF play. Amat, who exactly do you play in your league….yeah, I thought so.

• Amat Dad

Like other leagues, Amat doesn’t get to pick who’s in it genius. they just play whoever our league schedule calls for. Our out of league schedule however is filled with D1 teams that do get us ready for CIF
    if you don’t believe me check out MAXPREPS. This Sat.were playing both Saugus and Corona Santiago two very good teams that year in year out are in contention. What’s with the hating on Amat? Just go out and enjoy the game. As witnessed in the NCAA basketball tourney this year all #1 & #2 seeds are watching the game on TV. Never know what’s gonna happen.

• askin’ & sayin’

888 – if you’re using “other publications’ to justify your ranking – can Fred use the CIF ranking to justify his?

• askin’ & sayin’

• askin’ & sayin’

• hmmmm

• 888

askin’ & sayin’
    Listen dude I never said I was using squat all I said was other publications had them ranked high. Just between you and I South Hills would beat ya 12-3 lol take that to sleep homer.

• ooohhh

looks like someone got under 24′s skin! 888′s talkin in circles & can’t back up a thing

• bhs

Bonita 10 Walnut 0