Track: San Dimas’ Salcido and Covina’s McClain gearing up for Saturday’s Arcadia Invitational

By Steve Ramirez, Staff Writer
San Dimas High School senior Katherine Salcido enjoyed a breakout season last spring and appears to have picked up where she left off. Salcido, arguably one of the area’s top track and field athletes after placing sixth in the high jump in Division 3 at last year’s CIF-Southern Section meet, has made some early noise this season. She is ranked No. 3 in the state in the long jump (18 feet, 10 inches), fourth in the 100-meter low hurdles (14.19) seconds) and fifth in the high jump (5-6).

The senior faces a major challenge this weekend when she competes during the elite portion of the Arcadia Invitational, which is scheduled for Friday and Saturday at Arcadia High.

“This is the first competition where she will be really tested,” San Dimas girls track coach Gary Jackson said. “We’re looking forward to how she competes at that level.

“Here goal is to make it to (the CIF State championships). She has the talent to win a (CIF-SS divisional) title. But everything has to fall into place.”

So far, it has for Salcido.

It started on the first weekend of the season, when Salcido leaped 18-10 in the long jump at the Cougar Classic on March 5 before running the 100 hurdles in 14.53 a week later.

She followed it up last week by taking first in the 100 hurdles at the Covina Invitational. She won the event in 14.19.

But her goal is to get better each week and be in top form during the final three weeks of the season, including the division championships in late May.

“Coming off a good junior year, we’re looking for some big things from her,” said Jackson, whose protege had a busy summer competing at the junior nationals before signing with UCLA in the fall. “We want to make sure she peaks at the right time.

“We’re looking good right now. But we want to make sure she picks up her (marks) every week early in the year, then work to be at her best at the end of the season.”

Covina results

Covina’s Remontay McClain, one of the state’s top sprinters after sweeping the 100 and 200 meters as a junior at last season’s state meet, highlighted the Covina Invitational with wins in those events.

The senior finished first in the 100 with a time of 10.93, then took the 200 in 21.85.

Other boys winners were Diamond Ranch’s Marquise Cherry in the long jump (22-5), Claremont’s Salim Cleghorne in the 300 hurdles (39.00) and Bonita’s Toure McCully in the 110 hurdles (14.81).

Girls winners included the Wolfpack’s Mariella McCormack, who was first in the 400 (57.40), and Rinecia Jackson, who was first in the triple jump (35-05 1/2); West Covina’s Taylor Bernhard, who was first in the pole vault (11-0) and St. Lucy’s Marissa Horton, who took first in the 800 (2:17.55).

steve.ramirez@sgvn.com