Girls Soccer: Bishop Amat’s April Juarez and coach Ruben Gonzalez earn top honors

The numbers always have been staggering for the Bishop Amat High School girls soccer team, but numbers don’t win CIF-Southern Section championships, that takes something from within.
Bishop Amat, after ruining an undefeated season with a semifinal loss in 2010, returned and finished in dramatic fashion in 2011. Not only did the Lancers (28-2) capture the CIF-Southern Section Division 3 championship, it defeated top seed Ayala 1-0 in the final, a school that had crushed the Lancers 6-1 earlier in the season. (To continue click thread).

GIRLS SOCCER
COACH OF THE YEAR:
Ruben Gonzalez, Bishop Amat
PLAYER OF THE YEAR: April Juarez, Bishop Amat, Jr.
Forward: Khalalah Todd, Northview, Sr.
Forward: Makenzy Doniak, Ayala, Jr.
Forward: Amie Jepsen, Glendora, Jr.
Midfielder: Yazmin Montoya, Bishop Amat, So.
Midfielder: Lauren Stupin, Los Altos, Sr.
Midfielder: Victoria Camaj, St. Lucy’s, Jr.
Midfielder: Lizbeth Rodriguez, Sierra Vista, Sr.
Defender: Alyssa Cabral, Bishop Amat, Jr.
Defender: Alicen Wright, Ayala, Sr.
Defender: Jesse Gener, Bishop Amat, Jr.
Goalkeeper: Rachel Jones, San Dimas, Sr.

SECOND TEAM
Forward: Maribel Duran, San Dimas, Jr.
Forward: Haille Worrell, Bonita, Sr.
Forward: Natalie Rivas, Bishop Amat, So.
Midfielder: Shannon McKee, San Dimas, Sr.
Midfielder: Tara Cofer, Los Altos, Sr.
Midfielder: Amber Marani, Walnut, Jr.
Midfielder: Alexandra Wilson, Glendora, Jr.
Defender: Kellie Creese, Bonita, Jr.
Defender: Hannah Leu, Walnut, Sr.
Defender: Alexandra Quincey, St. Lucy’s, Sr.
Goalkeeper: Jesse Vargas, Bonita, Jr.

Amat coach Ruben Gonzalez, whose team has a combined record of 55-3-2 and 223 goals scored against just 26 against the past two years — finally topped it all off by delivering the school its first girls soccer title in history.
Not only was Gonzalez named the Division 3 coach of the year, but also earns the Tribune coach of the year award.

“It’s a great feeling to be able to accomplish that championship,” Gonzalez said. “I came to Amat four years ago with hope of changing the culture of the program. It’s a process and the process finally paid off in everything we were teaching and working at.”

Amat junior striker April Juarez, who saved the season with a game-tying goal in the final minutes of regulation on the road against Granite Hills in the semifinals, which allowed the Lancers to go on an win 2-1 in sudden-death overtime, has been selected the area girls soccer player of the year for the second consecutive season.

Juarez, also the Division 3 player of the year, finished another stellar season with 40 goals and 21 assists to be among the Southern Section’s most productive offensive players.
“She’s just an amazing player,” Gonzalez said. “Last year she kind of snuck up on teams but this year a lot of the other teams’ game plans were geared on trying to stop her or contain her, and she was still able to have another terrific season.

“For our team, that attention she gets opens opportunities for so many others. That goal she scored in the semifinals was a big-time goal, but I think her presence in the playoffs was a huge reason we won too.”

The Tribune first-team includes a trio of forwards that had eye-opening individual campaigns, paced by Northview senior striker Khalalah Todd, who is on her way to New Mexico State.
Todd was the state’s second-leading goal scorer with 48, while also finishing with 17 assists to help the Vikings tie for a Valle Vista League title.

Todd’s 132 career goals left her just four shy of cracking the Southern Section’s top ten career goal scoring list — a list Todd surely would have cracked had she not been out nearly all of her sophomore year with a knee injury.

Ayala’s Makenzy Doniak was arguably the area’s most feared striker, a dangerous blend of speed, quickness and ball-dribbling skills. She finished with 18 goals and 10 assists for the Sierra League champion Bulldogs, helping them reach the Division 3 final.

Doniak was also named the Sierra League co-MVP and named to the Division 3 first team.
Glendora forward Amie Jepsen was also named a first-team forward after helping the Tartans to a 17-6-4 overall record and third-place finish in the competitive Baseline League.
Jepsen finished among the area leaders in scoring with 20 goals and 15 assists.

Los Altos senior midfielder Lauren Stupin, on her way to Cal state Fullerton, leads the first-team midfield that also include’s Bishop Amat sophomore Yazmin Montoya, Sierra Vista senior Lizbeth Rodriguez and St. Lucy’s junior Victoria Camaj.

Stupin, who won back-to-back Miramonte League most valuable player honors as a sophomore and junior, helped the Conquerors to their third straight league title in the new Hacienda League.
Stupin, a CIF-SS Division 3 second team selection and Hacienda first-team pick, finished with 23 goals and 13 assists.

Amat’s Montoya is one of the area’s best defensive midfielders, but also has a knack for scoring and a huge reason the Lancers celebrated a CIF title.
Montoya was named to the Del Rey and Division 3 first-teams after finishing with 13 goals and 17 assists.

Rodriguez, who helped the Dons win a Division 7 title in 2010, had a great senior year in helping the Dons win the Montview League title, with Rodriguez earning player of the year and Division 6 first-team honors.

Rodriguez scored 18 goals with 23 assists for the 19-3-1 Dons.
Camaj helped St. Lucy’s finish in a second-place tie in the Sierra League with Claremont, and the Regents finished 10-7-2 overall. Camaj’s stellar play was not just awarded with an area first-team selection, she was also named the Sierra League Co-MVP with Doniak, and was named to the Division 3 first-team.

Bishop Amat junior Jesse Gener, Alyssa Cabral and Ayala senior Alicen Wright were named first-team defenders. Cabral and Gener were part of a defense that allowed just 17 goals all season, including helping the Lancers to a 1-0 shutout in the championship game.
Both Cabral and Gener were also All Del Rey and Division 3 first-team picks.

Wright, on her way to Texas Christian University, was named to the Sierra and Division 3 first team after leading a Bulldogs defense that allowed just 23 goals against stellar competition.

San Dimas senior Rachel Jones was named the goalkeeper of the year after helping the Saints on an improbable run to the Division 6 championship game.

Jones finished with 14 shutouts and posted two shutouts in the playoffs while allowing just four postseason goals, two of which came in a 2-0 loss in the Division 6 championship to St. Margaret’s. Jones was named to the Valle Vista first-team and Division 6 second team.

• SGV Dad

Interesting observation: All Amat girls selected are underclassmen. Looks like they should be just as strong next year.

Another Observation: Why only 2 actual defenders selected. Wright is a goalie.

• Fred Robledo

I try to get the best 11 on the team and felt both goalkeepers were deserving of first team, and a GK is part of defense. It’s the first time I made that call. It’s sort of like in football when you have a utility to select an extra QB or RB.. in this case I used a defender spot as a utility for another GK. I just felt they both had such strong years, that the extra GK spot could be used as a defender….

• saintsgirlsr4real2

This just in, Shannon McKee from San Dimas High School has committed to Cal and Rachel Jones will be attending Cal State Monterey Bay. Both hope to make a contribution to their respective teams over the next 4 years.

• Bulldog1

The Lancer girls had a great season, congrats and please send out an invite to Kiss the Ring. When you do, I will. Welcome to the club.
    Bulldog Fever.

• wow

Quincey 2 team and Camaj 1st team. Wow someone really wasn’t paying attention. Quincey is by far a first teamer but Camaj well…..

• AMAT 73

buulfrog1,
    I told you before but here it is again. You will never hear that kind of trash coming from a Lancer regarding kissing a ring. You can keep that kind of crap for yourself and your own kind . That is one club any Lancer will never be a part of or want to be a part of ,so keep looking in the mail box for an invite that does not exsist. Although you are welcome to come by and look at the championship banner anytime you like. Congratulations to all the girls that made the list and a special thanks to the Lady Lancers and Coach Gonzales for their outstanding effort this past season.

• FredJ

I’ve seen Camaj enough to know she’s the real deal and the most important piece on St. Lucy’s team. Don’t underestimate the value of an attacking middy, they’re simply more valuable than defenders.

• soccer fan

Great list!

• FRESHMAN SOCCER

2011 FRESHMAN GIRLS to watch in 2012

JONI GENER -D- BISHOP AMAT
    DANIELLE ROBINSON -M- DIAMOND RANCH
    MIKAYLA FLORES -F- BONITA
    DINA HILLER -D- BONITA
    HANNAH CHUA -M- CLAREMONT
    MATTISON WATSON -GK- AYALA
    JEZIKA ABREW -M- AYALA
    ARYE LOONEY -F-LA PUENTE
    MELISSA GONZALES -M- LOS ALTOS
    DANIELA GONZALES -D- LOS ALTOS
    KELLY RICHARDSON -D- LOS ALTOS
    MORGAN QUATERNIK -D- SAN DIMAS
    DASIY DURAN -F- SAN DIMAS
    JESSICA LOPEZ -F- SIERRA VISTA
    SANDRA VALENTIN -F- SIERRA VISTA
    ASHLEY GONZALES -F- CHINO HILLS
    DENISE GARCIA -D- CHINO HILLS
    VANESSA ZAMBRANO -D- NOGALES
    JANAE AVILA -D- WALNUT
    JULIE LIZARRAGA -F- WALNUT
    ERIN HARRIS -M- WALNUT

• Bulldog1

Amat setenta y tres, I have seen some of the crap you and youre kind are willing to spew. Ive seen the back and forth between not since and your classy self!
    So much for daring to compliment the Amat ladies. You should take the compliment, say thank you, and then shut up.
    We win with class and humility always! How about you?
    Bulldog Fever.

• just sayin’

Bullpuppy – uummm, the previous two school years when Amat football faced the Bulldogs – I don’t remember the winning part?

• AMAT 73

buulfrog1,
    Nothing wrong with the compliment and you should have stopped there. You go on with your kiss the ring crap with a welcome to your one member club which is not for AMAT or the Lady Lancers. I even went as far as inviting you to come and see the banner hanging in the student center. Glad to know you are a follower of my post’s but I can see why as I am an AMAT Alum and you need someone to look up to ( no pun intended ) so you can really see what winning with class and humility truely is . As for notsincewhenever , other than some of his racial overtones to some of his posts basically he is our number one fan as he never has anything to say about any other school , hence the” we make his day and life” comments and with him it is just fun banter. You on the other hand continually blast every school in the SGV with no respect for any program until you feel they are your equal by winning a CIF championship .You have even gone so far as calling them losers and chokers , especially Bonita , so where is the class and humility in that as you profess to have. There is a phrase for people like you that the village finds humor in and it is the “village idiot” so wear your crown proudly as you have snatched it from notsincewhenever and probably that is the ring you wear with the king of fools inscribed on it so keep making us laugh because you are a joke .

• Saint

Amat 73 – If there was a like button here I would have used it on your last post. Thank you,