UPDATED: Former Bishop Amat pitcher Brady Zuniga recovering after getting hit by a line drive while playing for UNLV

Former Bishop Amat High School baseball standout and current UNLV pitcher Brady Zuniga was released from a Riverside-area hospital Wednesday after suffering broken bones above his eye when he took a line drive to the face while pitching against UC Riverside on Tuesday. Zuniga made a pitch and couldn’t get out of the way of a line drive sent back to the mound. Zuniga fell to the ground clutching his face and lie there for 15 minutes while paramedics treated him before transporting him to a hospital.

“He’s been released and he’s on his way back to UNLV to see a specialist,” Amat baseball coach Andy Nieto said after making contact with Zuniga and his family.

“He’s in good spirits. I’m sure better assessments can be made when the swelling goes down, but he’s got three broken bones to the orbital area of his eye socket.”

Zuniga graduated from Amat in 2009 after being part of CIF championship teams in 2007 and ’08. He’s 1-3 in 14 appearances for UNLV this season.

Zuniga expressed disappointment when told his team lost the game after he left for the hospital with a 5-3 lead, but that reaction was enough to make Nieto more certain everything would be all right with his former ace.

“Brady chuckled and was mad when he found out they lost the game,” Nieto said. “That kind of made me feel better, with what little sense of humor he had.”

Zuniga’s injury marred what otherwise was a big day for Amat baseball. Earlier Tuesday, Amat defeated La Salle 3-2 in extra innings to take command of the Del Rey League standings, but any joy from the win quickly turned to concern for a former teammate.

Fortunately for Zuniga, who’s from Monterey Park, his parents were at the game and with him at the hospital until his release.

• Blue and Gold Stud

Our prayers go out to Brady & his family during this time and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

• bonita family

Our prayers go out to Brady and his family were praying for you, get well soon and God Bless.

• sgvbaseball

Brady is doing ok. He flew home to Vegas this morning. According to his dad he had a good size gash on his face. There are three fractures around the eye socket and will be seeing a specialist. I know he appreciates all the support and well wishes. Brady is in good spirits but more work to be done on the fracture.

• Bulldog1

Good luck to Brady and continued success!

• AMAT 73

Our prayers go out to Brady and his family. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and no after effects . Good Luck Brady.

• SGaletti

I hope Brady has a speedy recovery. I got to see him when I was at the Star-News, and he pitched in a game I called here in New Mexico recently.

• SGaletti

I wish Brady a speedy recovery. I had a chance to see him pitch a few times when I was at the Star-News. I last saw him pitch here in Albuquerque against my team New Mexico a couple of weeks ago.