Softball: Bonita goes back and forth with West Covina before finally prevailing, 8-5

Baseball result: Bonita hammered West Covina 10-1 by scoring nine runs in the sixth, punctuated by Robert Mier’s grand slam.

With three straight shutouts and the number one ranking in the CIF-Southern Section Division 2 poll, Bonita High School softball coach Ken Carlson still had his fears visiting unranked West Covina on Wednesday.
“I told our (coaching staff) this is the one team in our league that really makes me nervous,” Carlson said. “They’re an unpredictable bunch than can explode at any time.”
West Covina certainly didn’t back down, making Bonita work for a come-from-behind 8-5 victory that left the Bearcats (15-2, 3-0) in sole possession of first in the Hacienda League with the Bulldogs (11-6, 3-1) suffering their first league loss. (To continue click thread)

Bonita’s Michelle Whit (6) after a solo homer in the second inning.

Bonita showed a little of everything that makes them tick.
Bearcats freshman pitcher Anissa Sanchez was shaky early, giving up
back-to-back doubles to Alexis Gonzalez and Taylor Castro that helped give the Bulldogs a 3-1 lead in the second inning.
But Sanchez was solid the rest of the way, overcoming her early jitters, allowing just a run in the fourth and seventh, keeping her team close enough to rally in the late innings.
Bonita scored two runs in the sixth and three more in the seventh to pull it out.
“It was a huge game and you could see Anissa struggle early,” Carlson
said. “This was a big arena for her but it was great experience too. She proved to herself she can handle the situation on a day when she’s not throwing her best stuff. I thought the way she hung in there and battled gave her some confidence that we will need from her later in the season.”
Another big part of Bonita’s equation has been the leadership of shortstop Courtney Gano, who transferred from Los Altos and signed a letter of intent with the University of Washington.
Gano was 3-for-4 with three RBIs.
After Gano singled home the tying run in the fourth with two outs to make it 3-3, West Covina scored a run in the bottom half of the inning to go back up, 4-3.
Then Gano came through in the clutch again.
With two outs and runners on second and third and the Bulldogs clinging to their 4-3 lead in the sixth, they opted to pitch to her with first base open. And she delivered, Gano belting a single that drove in both for a 5-4 lead.
Bonita added three insurance runs in the seventh to pull away, but it was Gano’s timely hits that made the difference.
“I went up there wanting to win the ballgame,” Gano said. “I thought we had a lot batters step up today, but when you come up in that situation, you’re looking to deliver for your team and win a game.”
Gano wasn’t the only one swinging a hot bat, senior Kate O’Malley hit a solo homer in the fourth and finished with three RBIs, doubling home two more runs in the seventh.
Even catcher Michelle Whit joined the hit parade, homering in the second inning.
West Covina’s Alexis Gonzalez had a big afternoon for the Bulldogs,
finishing with three hits, which included a double and two RBIs.
But the Bulldogs’ biggest problem is they couldn’t get timely hits, coming up empty with the bases loaded and two outs in the first, and leaving two runners aboard in the sixth.
“We came out strong and just stalled,” Bulldogs coach Colin Logan said “It was one of those games. It was two good teams going back and forth and you have to give it to them, they got some big runs in the late innings. Hopefully when we meet them again it will be a different story.”

• Tommy Lasorda

More importantly, Bonitas Justin Garza goes for win number 7 today against West Covina. Should be a great game.

• baseball

I have seen both teams play and this will not be a great game with Garza on the bump. I seen West Co play and I predict a Bonita win 9-1.

• player

Good luck to all teams in the SGValley. Please send in scores and updates of all games around the Valley. Thanks out of town

• bfan

South Hills beat up on Covina and ended with a mercy rule 10 run rule. Similar fate for Covina girls in the Northview tourney.Must be the cold weather or cold bats.

• Melanie

Stats to come shortly

• FBFan

Was there a ring kissing ceremony? HaHa!!!

Did the Bulldogs get smacked with class and humility?

• http://sh Sh

LAMO @ West Covina coach worst coach in the SGV.

• 888

What happened to bulldog1 I was waiting around after the game so I could kiss the ring? Looks like both the boycats and girlycats had something to say about all the trash talking. Maybe the taste of some humble pie will keep him silent for awhile. Until we meet again bullpuppy next time have a snack bar for us whats up! with that are things that good in West Covina.

• Tommy Lasorda

Justin Garza improved to 7-0 throwing 6 scoreless innings with class and humility in beating West Covina.

• WC pitchers?

Just wondering about the WC pitchers? Who pitched and what happened?

• Don

First, great job to all the Bearcats, especially you Kate, the BoHi player of the week. You now officially have two more HR’s on the season than e does. You go girl!

Second, sorry I missed you Dan, I even sat over in the WesCo bleachers at the end of the girl’s game but didn’t see anyone with a will blog for fun t-shirt and the two kids I asked just shook their heads at me. Maybe next time.

Last, the Bulldog fans were as friendly and classy as ever at both games although most of my time was over at the Boys game. I know that I griped once this year about a couple of WesCo rooters so I thought it only fair to recognize the real nature of the fans from West Cameron.

FTR, mr bullmcshizzle was nowhere to be found. Probably off playing ring a round the rosie.

• Goin Yard

Bulldog 1

How that’s doggie house now b–ch? You suck dude.

Bonita Big Cats win on both fronts.

WC WHO?

• reality

A win against a very mediocre baseball team does not call for any chest thumping, lest you look like certain W.C. bloggers in the next game. keep focused Cats and wait to celebrate in the playoffs.

• Dan

Don sorry I missed you too, when I got there I asked Fred if he had seen you but at the time he hadn’t. I went up to watch the softball game from the top of the visitor football bleachers because that allows me to peek over at the boys game every once in a while or watch the football skill players doing their offseason work. Walter Thurmond and another DB from the Seahawks were there working with our skill players. That freshman softball pitcher you guy’s have is going to be a good one, for a few innings there I thought we had a chance, but your girls came through late with some nice hits, Courtney Gano hit up the middle late in the game was clutch.
    Good luck to Bonita and hoping both softball teams keep winning so they can have another showdown later in the season.

• Just a Fan

Reality you are absolutely correct. It is a long season and it is baseball, anything can happen. Getting some additional motivation from an insensetive fan(?) is helpful but there is a much larger picture here. Bonita has the chance that few teams get and they must play every game with the same intensity and emotion that they played with last night. The entire team needs to give there best all the time and good things will happen. A win at WC means nothing other than you did what you were supposed to do, beat a very mediocre team soundly.

• FredJ

Dan, it’s funny that you mentioned Walter Thurmond, I was talking to coach Gano when Thurmond and the other DB you were talking about walked past us, Gano saying, “Where in the world is West Covina finding these guys.” He was in awe until he learned later who they were. He thought they were a couple of West Covina players.

• Dan

Fred, thats a funny story with Gano, that other Seattle DB looked pretty big from the stands.
    Seeing him and Walter lining up on West Covina’s field and thinking they were WC kids could make any opposing coach envious. I think them working with our recievers and DB’s should benefit our kids, our QB’s throwing against them should gain from this too.

• Dan

Hey Fred I never read anything on here about the results of the Arcadia invitational, I was told yesterday by one of the football dads that B.J.Lee had a big day and won the 100 with a time in the 10.2′s, can you verify this?

• Dan

Never mind Fred, dyestat has him at 10.65 and 4th overall at Arcadia.

• how much is that doggie in the window

Where oh where has my little dog gone? where oh where can he be?