All-Star game: Tribune names slam dunk and 3-point contestants for Saturday’s game

Walnut’s Gholar ready: Walnut High School boys basketball standout Bryan Gholar’s senior season could easily have ended last July. Instead, it will fittingly end on Saturday night in the Tribune/Star-News All-Star Classic at Damien High.

What: Eighth annual Tribune/Star-News All-Star Classic
When: Saturday, April 23
Where: Damien High School
Girl’s game: 4:00pm
Boy’s game: 6:00pm
Admission: $8 adults, $5 students/children

The Tribune boys All-Star basketball team’s final practice in preparation for Saturday’s showdown against the Star-News was a lot like the first, only this time this situation on offense got a lot more unclear. It could be because the Tribune played the type of hustling defense in Thursday’s tuneup not usually associated with an All-Star game. At least that’s what La Verne Lutheran High School coach Eric Cooper has to be hoping as Saturday’s game looms.

“They’re just learning a new offense and how I want them to run,” said Cooper, who was the Tribune’s Coach of the Year after leading the Trojans to the CIF Division III state championship. “I think they’ll be fine. It’s an All-Star game, and they’re basically out there to show what they have and do what they do. We’ll find out.”

The Tribune is hoping to get a much-needed win over the Star-News, which leads the all- time series 6-2.

Hill to pull double duty

Bishop Amat’s Tyler “Thrill” Hill will be a busy man Saturday night after earning entry into the slam dunk and 3-point shooting contests. Generously listed at 6-foot-1, Hill said he’s going to make the most of his time between now and Saturday night to come up with a dunk routine good enough to win him some hardware.

“I’m an all-around talent, you know?” Hill said with a chuckle after practice Thursday. “I’m just trying to show how well-rounded I am and I’m not trying to be one-dimensional.”

Joining Hill in the dunk contest will be Rowland’s Sharif Watson and La Verne Lutheran’s Bruce English. Joining Hill in the 3-point contest will be La Verne Lutheran’s C.J. Cooper and Bonita’s Jordan Butler.

Trib girls set starting five

Bonita coach Darren Baumunk, who’ll coach the Tribune girls All-Stars on Saturday, wasted little time deciding on his starting lineup for Saturday’s game.

Baumunk’s first group on the court will be Northview’s Claudia Ramirez, Bonita’s Taylor Anderson and Madison Zylstra, and Walnut’s Amy McDill and Nnenna Abaeze.

Baumunk likes the thought of back-loading his second group with the Bishop Amat trio of Lety Galarza, Vianai Austin and Andrea Villanueva.

Girls sharpshooters named

To nobody’s surprise, Zylstra, the top outsider shooter in the area, is among the three girls from the Tribune team competing in Saturday’s 3-point contest. Joining Zylstra is Amat’s Galarza and Austin.