Baseball: Bonita shocks Bishop Amat 2-1 in battle for best in the San Gabriel Valley

This is why high school baseball in the San Gabriel Valley takes a back seat to nobody.
A week after Bishop Amat won Orange County’s prestigious National Classic and climbed to No. 8 in MaxPreps’ national rankings and No. 1 in its Southern California poll, the Lancers couldn’t extend their 21-game undefeated streak in a battle for best in the Valley. Bonita, behind a brilliant performance from senior pitcher Brandon Murfett, pulled out a 2-1 victory in front of standing-room only crowd at Mt. San Antonio College on Tuesday night in a charity game that benefited the R.J.’s foundation — a non-profit organization that supports terminally ill children and raises money for low-income families to promote professional, academic and athletic achievement. (To continue, click thread).

Bishop Amat-Bonita photo gallery

This is great stuff from Bonita coach John Knott talking to his team in the moments after the big win….

By comparison, Bonita came in ranked 289th nationally, but the Bearcats (18-3) were not intimidated at all, not after advancing to last year’s Division 3 title game and bringing a No. 2 ranking in Division 3 to Monday’s game.
“Obviously it’s a huge game against a great opponent,” Bonita coach John Knott said. “Amat has a rich tradition, probably the richest tradition in the San Gabriel Valley. There is no denying that this game was huge, but our kids have a lot of confidence in this environment. We had a lot of kids coming back from the CIF finals and we felt confident we would come out and not be intimidated.”
If Bonita’s ace is Justin Garza (8-0), what does that make Murfett (4-0)? Everyone talks about Amat’s pitching depth, but Bonita has a stellar staff as well, and that’s with 6-foot-8 lefty Adam McCreery still making his way back.
Murfett allowed just six hits, ending the game by picking off Amat’s Wallace Gonzalez at first.
“He (Murfett) didn’t have his best stuff early and it would have been easy for him to put too much pressure on himself, but as the game got going, he got better,” Bonita coach John Knott said of Murfett. “It was great to see him pitching in the last inning. It would have been easy to put pressure on himself and nibble, walk a batter here or there and give them them a chance to win it, but he didn’t. He settled down and got it done.”
Bonita’s Matt Gelalich had three hits, stole three bases and Justin Row had a triple and scored both runs to lead Bonita to its eighth straight win.
Still, Amat struck first.
Andrew Gutierrez’s two-out triple scored Gonzalez from second to give Amat a 1-0 lead in the second inning.
Bonita answered back in the fourth. Row tripled to right and later scored on Nolan Henley’s two-out infield single, tying the score 1-1.
Bonita nearly broke it open in the sixth. With the bases loaded and one out, Thomas Castro chopped a tough ball between Amat pitcher David Berg and first base that he legged out for a single, scoring Row to make it 2-1 with the bases still loaded.
Amat got out of the inning with a big out at the plate on a passed ball and a ground out — but the real story of Amat’s night was its missed opportunities on the bases.
Jay Anderson led off the fourth with a single and stole second. But he tried stealing third with nobody out in a tie game and was thrown out.
Adam Alcantara hit a one-out triple in the fifth. But on Brandon Castaneda’s fly to right, Alcantara started home and stopped after a quick throw home from Bonita right-fielder K.C. Huth and was caught in a rundown to end the inning.
After Rio Ruiz hit a single and reached second on an error to lead off the sixth, he was replaced by Trevor Goetz on the basepaths so he could get ready to pitch the seventh.
But when Goetz tagged and went to third on Andrew Gutierrez’s fly to right for the first out, Bonita appealed that Goetz left second early and he was ruled out.
Then of course, Gonzalez was picked off to end the game.
“We did not play clean baseball,” Amat coach Andy Nieto said, whose team fell to 21-3. “Give Bonita a lot of credit, but when you don’t play clean baseball it’s a recipe for a close game and a formula to lose.”

• Tommy Lasorda

Mondays game is for a great cause, and should be fun for all, including cousins Justin Garza (Bonita) and Dom Davis (Bishop Amat), as well as a few other kids from both teams that have all grown up playing together. Although neither staff’s ace will be throwing, it should be quite competetive. Go out and just have fun boys!

• 12th man

Jersey fist pump!!~

• just 4 fun

Sounds like a scrimage game :(

Not gonna draw a big crowd if you’re downplayng it.

Third string pitchers, just for fun, doesn’t mean a thing = small crowd!!

• wrong

Just 4 Fun,
    Maybe u werent there last yr. Big crowd. Lots of fun. Great cause. Good luck, boys!!

• 12th man

Bonita is ranked #403 in the Nation!! YAY!!~ lol…

• park

is there a charge to park?

• just 4 fun

Division 4 #1 vs division 3 #2

division 4 rules!!

• LancerVille

park said
    I think it is about $5, bring singles.

• Amat69

Now its time to beat a not very good, overrated Bonita team.
    Final score 10 to 1 Amat.

• eastsider

should be a good game.3rd string pitchers on both of the teams are very good pitchers with the depth they have.this is baseball any team can win .

• just 4 fun

BRAGGING RIGHTS…BRAGGING RIGHTS…BRAGGING RIGHTS!!!

What Coach or player is gonna downplay this situation??? It’s all about the East SGV #1 TEAm going into the playoffs and the motivation it will provide. This game is definitely NOT JUST 4 FUN!!!

• True Dat

@ just for fun, your right…this game is not just for fun! No game is ever “just for fun”. Players on both teams have grown up with each other and want the W and the W will help with their ranking. The game is for a great cause, but it will be war.
    For the record, Amat doesn’t really have a “3rd string pitcher…They are all equally 1st string pitchers.
    Go Amat!

• Truth Is

The Truth Is….Amat has nothing to gain by playing this game. Same as in football. Bragging rights are for one time winners. The measure of a PROGRAM is in the wins and losses against quality opponents. Amat should win “bragging Rights” anyway.

• LancerVille

Truth Is said:
    Perhaps Amat has nothing to gain by this, but I think there is another side of this coin. I know there are a few players; Rio I believe is one, who knew RJ. What better way to raise money for a great cause and at the same time pay homage to someone, by placing two great ball clubs together to play one another.

• Joe Amat

Just heard the game is changed form 7Pm to 6Pm – still at MSAC.
    The Softball game has been moved to Wednesday

• 12th man

Why do people keep saying “Its just for fun”?..Nobody wants to lose any games down the stretch heading into the playoffs..who wants to lose momentum & possibly a higher seed??.. even though its a non league game its still a W or L in the stats colomn!! Look for both teams to play tough & not give an inch..You mite even see a pitching duel if nothing else!~

• Fred Robledo

Thanks Joe, just got the update from the schools, the game is at 6 p.m. Monday with the girls on Wednesday.

• Fred Robledo

I realize this game is for charity and a great cause, but at the same time it’s a big game, it’s not a meaningless exhibition, regardless of who pitches. The crowd size alone should tell you how big it is. Players and coaches are competitive and want to win, especially when it’s 1 against 2 in the area. These teams won’t meet in the playoffs so this is it. Amat, for its part, hasn’t done well in big area matchups. Northview beat Amat in 2008 for the Glendora tournament title, which is still my all-time favorite game. The crowd was ridiculous for the first tournament of the season and of course you had Nieto and Murphy bumping chests. San Dimas beat Amat in the 2009 semifinals, which was shocking at the time given how loaded Amat was, and the Saints went on to win the championship. In last year’s game at Mt. SAC, it was probably the best attended nonleague game I have seen, Amat beating South Hills in a thriller. I’m sure tomorrow night will be another mammoth crowd and I guarantee the players don’t want to lose and fans from each side will be into it as always. If you think this is a game just for fun and that the result doesn’t matter, you probably never played high school sports.

• Amat Alumni and Parent

I love these mega East Valley match ups. Ever notice though that the common denominator is Amat? There are big games without Amat, but throw Amat in there and it is a few notches bigger.

“True Dat” is right. Amat has great pitching depth and there is no such thing as a third string pitcher. Whether they throw Jordan, Serrato, or Zamora to start it is all the same. Different type of pitchers, but same result. Not to mention if any of these guys stumble you have the best reliever Berg and flame throwing Rio coming out of the pen.

This game is only for fun if you lose and is fun if you win. Go Amat!

• http://www.123.com Bobby B

Bonita is going to beat Amat. It doesnt matter who is pitching, they are going to smash the ball. We have better players and better fans. All you old timers, better wake up, your going to get beat. Sending the Lancers back to La Puente.

• Yaaaawn……

@BobbyB, How original of you.
    Even your fans are better! Thanks for the chuckle.
    Happy Easter RJ & SGV family!

• More Baseball

It will be a great game. Amat has played a lot of baseball this past week. They did win the national classic but most do not realize they had to play another game yesterday. The beat Camarillo yesterday in the semi’s of the Redondo tournament. After the Bonita game Amat will have played 6 games in 8 days. That can stretch a pitching staff a little thin.

• SGV Baseball

Mt. Sac parking is $3 exactly. Please purchase parking at the machines located in the parking lot. *****GAME TIME IS 6PM*****

• reality

After Bonita thumps Amat on Monday that means they should be ranked higher than Amat in the next poll right?

• Start the predictions

With Bonita not utilizing Garza nor McCreery, the Lancers will have little trouble with the Bearcats defense.

Amat 8…. Bonita 2

• eastsider

@reality ,if bonita beats amat they should be ranked higher than amat.but then since glendora killed bonita they should be ranked higher.

• Tommy L.

Bobby B.

Anyone who knows anything about baseball will tell you that superior pitching will always beat superior hitting.

• http://www.123.com Bobby B

Tommy, hitting, hitting, hitting is all we are going to need. Lancers are going to be taken a ride and Bonita is going to be driving the bus back to La Puente. Their is going to be a big surprise tomorrow on who is pitching for the Bearcat, so that will be the head line. Amat is in for a treat.

• eastsider

its hard to predict who is going to win.Amat pitchers and defense has proven themselves against top quality teams from a out of the area. Bonita has not played against anybody good out of the valley except yucaipa.so I would give the edge to Amat

• 12th man

Amat just climbed the polls & are ranked #8 in the Nation, #2 in State & #1 in the Southern Section!! Tell me again this game is meaningless..

• game counts

No doubt the game counts. It is just too bad that Bonita wont pitch garza or a healthy mccreery. Knott is smart though. He knows he wants to win league and needs Garza on wed vs DB and Matthews. Murfett will pitch tonight. He is having a good year, but this will be a new level of competition that he has not faced. We will see!!

• BaseballDad

“Game Counts”

Murfett has faced some great hitting Travel Ball clubs, even facing many of the same hitters in the Bishop Amat lineup and has done very very well. While it’s true that most kids have never pitched in front of the kind of crowd that will be there tonight, Brandon has nonetheless held it down against some great hitting teams. If Knott were to pitch him against Diamond Bar I am sure he would dominate a weak hitting Brahma team. So I’m not sure Knott is saving anyone. It’s Brandon’s turn to pitch. Good luck Brandon.

• Steve Ramirez

12th Man:
    I look at this game kind of like say last year’s a mid-week college game. It’s a big game from a rankings standpoint, but it’s also not because the coaches don’t treat it as much, pitching their top pitchers. In this case, both have league games that in the overall are more important, just like in a mid-week college game, even when two highly-ranked teams are facing each other, you will still see two No. 4 pitchers go at it, like was the case when Top 10s UCLA and Fullerton played mid-week last year, and like you will see when those teams meet in a few weeks.

• player

BONITA WINS BONITA WINS

• The Truth

Good game. For all us fans we got to see 2 very well coached teams that play baseball the right way.

Congrats to both programs. And congrats to the SGV and MtSac for staging this event.

Keep em coming.

• BBFan

BONITA 2 AMAT 1 Good job Bonita. Oh yeah, it was just for fun. HA HA yeah, right!

• transitive property

AWESOME!!! Glendora HS #1

• transitive property 2

but Ayala beat Glendora – so THEY’RE #1 !!!

• transitive x 3

however Charter Oak & South Hills both beat Ayala – so one of them is #1 !!!

• smarterthenafifthgrader

transitive

had to look that word up lol.

• SaintsR4real

BRANDON MURFETT, BRANDON MURFETT, BRANDON MURFETT

• 12th man

Steve:
    This was a big game & Amat brought in the big guns with Berg & Ruiz to keep the game close..Unfortunately for Amat there solid defense finally folded..Amat came out flat & did not execute..Looks like they were trying to rip the cover off the ball instead of playing good fundemental baseball to get on base..I haven’t seen so many base running blunders since rec ball.. Anderson on 2nd with no outs trying to steal third is a NO NO!! You never want to get thrown out at third with 0 or 2 outs its a cardinal rule! Instead you play small ball & bunt the runner over to third to get him in scoring position on a sac fly or ground ball to the right side…Alcantara on third with 1 out was just bad coaching as soon as the ball was hit the 3rd base coach has to determine rite there & then if the flyball is deep enough for the runner to tag…Either he goes all the way or he stays on third with 2 outs & Rio coming up to bat..You dont get stuck in no mans land & give up the double play & finally You never want to get picked off with 2 outs in the last inning to end the game thats just poor base running..Runner needs to recognize & understand the situation..He needs to acknowledge that he’s the tying run & that the pitcher is going to do everything in his power to keep him honest on the base & prevent him from getting into scoring position..Not to take anything away from Bonita cause they came ready to play & deserved the win by actually out hitting the Lancers & exibiting a strong pitching performance by there starter who went the distance!~

• 12th man

Steve:

• game counts

Baseball Dad,

you were right, i was wrong. Brandon Murfett is the man!!!!!!!!

• PRETTY SIMPLE

GOOD PITCHING STOPS GOOD HITTING! LEARN IT LIVE IT!

BONITA HAS BEST STAFF IN THE VALLEY ON THE MOUND AND IN THE COACHING BOXES!

THERE’S A NEW #1 IN TOWN FRED! YOU GUESSED IT, BOHI DOES HAVE BEST SPORTS TEAMS AROUND THIS AREA.

GOOD NIGHT AMAT!

• brokenarrow

result not shocking…Bonita is a better hitting team, plays clean defense, and compete in the strike zone. Well done “cats”

• FYI

Great win for BONITA and a great game pitched by Brandon Murfett. But it was not high caliber baseball. The game was decided as much (if not more so) by mistakes, not great plays. AMAT shot themselves in the foot with infield errors, seeming all at the wrong time. The there was AMAT’s baserunning; less than acceptable. But give props to the cannon in RF for the Bearcats, named KC HUTH. Dude’s got a hose and showed it off at a key moment of the game nixing a sac fly by throwing out a runner at home by so much, the runner had time to stop, see he was going to be out, & then choose to get into a rundown. Later, an AMAT baserunner was called out for leaving 2B early while tagging to go to 3B. Why leave early? Cuz the ball was hit to KC HUTH and the dude had already seen the hose. And the game ends with AMAT runner being picked off 1B. In addition to MURFETT & HUTH, props also to sophomore SS JUSTIN ROW, C MARK LINDSAY, 1B THOMAS CASTRO, MATT RODRIGUEZ and the blazing MATT GELALICH. If # 289 beats # 8, does BONTIA move up? All due respect to AMAT, who has some talented players, but my .02 says they’re over rated. Should do fine in Div. 4 though. Almost forgot, props also to Asst. Coach NEWELL who first saw the runner leaving 2B early and who worked with underrated C LINDSAY to call a great game for MURFETT. Big win Bearcats….congrats.

• 64342

Fred, Here’s a few reasons why Amat won’t play in the Lions Den AKA (Fish Bowl). In the O C they can play and beat lesser teams, and get better rankings.

• A+

I have to give credit where credit is due geat vid and questions Fred A+ coverage

• BaseballDad

Game counts,

Haha…naw, I wasn’t concerned about proving anyone wrong,I just wanted Brandon to get his just due..Justin Garza is having such a Monster year that it’s been easy to overlook what Brandon has been doing. I’ve seen him pitch several games in Travel ball and he’s never looked better. To top it off he’s a great kid. So Congrats to Bonita and Brandon on the win. Good luck the rest of the way.

• Amat69

Well it looks like Andy Nieto, you cost us another big game! Who tries to steal third with the heart of the line-up coming up? A Moron thats who. Then, what idiot sends a kid half way on a short fly ball to right field then stops half way? Even if youre going to blame the kid, Andy, what type of fundamentals are you working on? I personally cant stand the way you prance around the infield chipping at umpires. The straw that broke the Camels back was early in the game when you and Jay got into it, how embarrassing, thats when you lost youre players!
    Andy, you were out coached and out classed today again! Sometimes its not all about you! Just teach the kids how to play, work with the kids that we have recruited for you, and then, shut up stay in the dugout and let them play!
    You just choked tonight Andy, Shame on you!
    Congats, Bonita, you are a heck of a ball club! Great job to your pitcher, great job to your number 9 hitter to drive in the tying run, and great job to the entire team and coaching staff at Bonita, you are truly a classy group of winners.
    Good luck!

• just askin’

64342 – “lesser teams” Really?

• http://insidesocal.com/tribpreps/2011/04/mondays-second.html#comments Bearcat Pitching

No one but the current and past Bonita pitching staffs understand how solid the defense is. When pitchers can trust 3 solid outfielders to run down every ball and hose guys out at the plate on a regular basis. It gives them all the more confidence. Last year coaches stopped runners at 3rd for fear of getting thrown out at the plate by Huth in right. Every flyball was and is chased down my Matt Gelalich. Today’s game was evident to that. Huth with an absolute cannon. And Gelalich ran down 3 or 4 doubles that he made look like routine fly balls. It gives the Bearcat pitching staff all the more confidence. And the infield is stellar too with plus arms from Row and Garza. Nice job Bonita! Made the baseball alum proud tonight. Keep fighting. Big games coming up. Go Bearcats!

• Tommy Lasorda

What an outstanding game! Both sides should be extremeky proud of themselves. I know alot of people would say it was luck, and that 99 times out of a hundred, Amat wins. Well guess what, tonight was Bonitas 1, and they deserved it. No blame should be pout on anyone. The San Gabriel Valley should be proud. Both teams played baseball the way it should be played. On any given day, anything can happen. This is exactly why the game is played. Even though some mistakes were made, neither team ever let up and fought till the very last out. Anyone not there to witness, truly missed an amazing game. This is the kind of stuff we should be paying to see. Not a bunch of performance enhanced self-centered cry babies. Both teams went out and played with heart and passion and most of all, with respect. All the pitchers, pitched outstanding. Its sad that a bunch of grown adults like us have to bash a bunch of high school kids that went out and gave it all they had. Being a part of the game means having someone win and someone lose, but in my book and Im sure in the books of many many others, there was no loser tonight. Any true baseball fan should be thankful they had the opportunity to watch that game tonight. I know Im extremely proud of the ties I had to BOTH sides, along with the rest of their teammates. Way to go boys! Keep making your families and the rest of the San Gabriel Valley proud!

• eastsider

bonita did not outhit Amat.matt gelalich just made some good catches in the outfield that could of been doubles.Amat should of scored at least 3 more points if it wasnt for bad judgement. in this game the team with the most mistakes lost. amat dropped a ball at left field,pitcher missed the base on a sure out,jay got thrown out stealing,adam got caught in a pickle,Rios error,runner at third could of easily scored on a wild pitch in the beginning of game but went back to 3rd.Bonita is a great team and should be proud of their win

• reality

Why do Amat fans always make excuses and find it so hard to congratulate the winning team and leave it at that. But no, Bonita won because of coaching,arguing,,baserunning,fielding and hitting errors commited by amat. Save that Amat wins easily. The Bearcats have lost many championship games the last year in many different sports and have yet to see them make excuses like AMAT folks. Bonita lost the football championship to West Covina by a hairs breath and all you heard was great game and no excuses. If you wonder why people dislike Amat it’s not because they win, it’s because so many of their fans are like Dodger fans,classless.

• Amat69

Oh, and by the way, Andy, take that pen out of your hat it looks stupid!!!
    I dont think that look will ever catch on!
    Tommy Lasorda, I dont think it was luck you guys won tonight, your team can flat out play!
    One out of a hundred? I dont think so. If we played each other a hundred times, I think you win 69 times out of a hundred, maybe more. Looking at you team top to bottom, position by position, youre better.
    kh and Jackboy, looking back, you guys predicted a Bearcat victory and gave sound reasons why in late November early December when they announced we would play each other.
    Congrats to you both!

• An Amat Loss Is Always A Good Thing

Anytime Amat loses is a good thing. Keeps those fans humble.

• player

HUGE LOSS FOR AMAT!!!HUGE!!!

AMAT coach NIETO will never hear the end of this HUGE LOSS!!!

• Spartan Coach

As an Amat alumni and current high school coach I was excited when this matchup was released. Seeing first hand how good Bonita was last year when they sent us packing on their way to the D3 Final it was set to be a good game. Things happen in High School baseball and we all saw that last night. The RF from both schools had phenomenal arms and that’s what led to some baserunning mistakes. The ground covered by Bearcats center fielder at this level was amazing. Sure hate to see the game end on a bang play at first however that’s a judgment call and one team was going to be unhappy with it. I wish the best to both teams this year and as both teams know they should be playing D1 ball. Both teams should make a deep run into their respective divisions playoff races and make their schools proud. 2 Quality programs nationally ranked right here in So Cal. We should ALL be proud of each teams accomplishments so far this year!

• CommonDenominator

So, last week it is Rio getting into it with Napoleon, last night he gets’ into it with Jay , so what is the common denominator… the smallest person on the field…. hey, and he needs that pen stuck in his cap so his head won’t fly awaaaaaayyyyy…. nice game coach. You have some great baseball knowledge, but in the end of the day it is about respect. From the players and from the umpires, you ain’t got it….. you have the power & authority, but not the RESPECT…

• BHS

Baserunning blunders are similar to turnovers in football. You can blame the offense all you want, but it takes great defense to make a good team make mistakes.

I give all the credit in the world to the Bearcats and their coaching staff. Pickoffs and forcing other teams into mistakes are things they work on often.

• Ridiculous

Just look at little ‘Andy”. The crap is getting old!

Go to a good coaching clinic this off-season. No wonder the D1 sector passed on you after the SC break-up…

You were just flat out .. out coached..

• Steve Ramirez

Amat69: It looks stupid?
    Really, the best college coach in the country – Oregon’s George Horton, formally of Cal State Fullerton, does the same thing. I believe he said it because he wants to jot down a quick note. If it’s ok for the best college coach in the country, it’s good for Andy Nieto.

• Amat69

Steve, comparing little Andy Nieto to George Horton? WOW!!!
    sounds like you got your Heart broken last night.

• Steve Ramirez

Amat69: It looks stupid?

• Fred Robledo

It’s amusing how Nieto suddenly can’t coach after winning the National Classic. At the end of the day players lose games and make running mistakes, not coaches. Why is it that every time a team loses a game, bloggers always point fingers at coaches?

• AMAT 73

Congratulations to the Bearcats on a fine job last night . Great win and no matter how many tried to down play the game it was a big win for Bonita .Solid pitching by both teams ( best pitching staffs in the SGV ) and hopefully they both go on to capture the CIF titles in each of their divisions. This game tells the story of just how good baseball is in the SGV.

• Quick this

Steve:

Andy Neito is NO GEORGE HORTON.

Bad take Dude! Way bad…

Quick note or not, coaching last night was poor…

• Tommy Lasorda

Amat73, well said. Both teams played their hearts out and put on a show.

Steve and Fred, dont get caught up in the war of words. Just remove all the negative comments and dont let anyone take away from the kids great game last night.

• Joe Amat

Nice win for the Bearcats in a great environment for SGV baseball. They played better and deserved to win, as the Lancers shot themselves in the foot quite a few times and Bonita made them pay with great defensive execution.

But “SHOCKED”? Really? Is anyone that watches and understands baseball, at any level, shocked? Newsflash…teams lose games. Sometimes to the worst teams.. much less to quality teams like Bonita. Is it really shocking that a team that has won 21 in a row and played 6 games in 8 days against the best competition around actually lost to a very good team? Shocked? Not at all.

reality,

who made any excuses and what makes you think its an Amat fan? The closest thing I see is “eastsider” (you sure he’s an Amat fan?) who said “team that made the most mistakes lost” then went on and listed those mistakes.

That’s not someone making “excuses” He also finished with “Bonita is a great team and should be proud of their win.” What about that is not congratulating the victor?

…and DEFINiTELY go back and read the archives after the Bonita championship losses to find just as many “excuses” (mistakes? reasons?).

That’s what happens on blogs. If it didn’t – few people would read or comment

• Joe Amat

Quick & Amat69(known Nieto hater),

no one dared to compare Nieto’s coaching ability to Horton – merely that 69er said “the look will never catch on”… and it “caught on” with baseball guys years ago.

http://is.gd/kt8grX

and i don’t think anyone came on to comment when this pic ran in this blog a couple weeks ago

http://is.gd/xCOGFe

• http://www.123.com Bobby B

I told you so…., read the paper, what does the headline say?

“Bobby B said:

April 24, 2011 9:14 PM”

Thanks RJ’s Foundation for putting a great game together. I heard it going to be Amat and Damien next year!!! Another long ride to La Puente.

• Amat Student

Oh my gosh. Really how old are you guys that are posting those long stupid arguements about what teams better, coaching, blah blah blah.

ITS A GAME!
    GET OVER ALL THE DETAILS THAT “COULD HAVE BEEN” AND MOVE ON!

Both teams are great and well Coached, but yesterday just wasn’t our day. Obviously, the better prepared team won.

MOVE ON.

• BaseballNUT

Only the third post I done all season. lets get to the facts.
    Was Amat tired? Probably, still NO excuse.
    did Nieto make the call to steal 3rd with NO outs? maybe.

Its NOT coaching~ Its called “D”
    Did Amat win the national classic BECAUSE they were the best team, OR was it becasue of “D”. Go back and check, each team that Amat played in the classic had at least TWO errors, including THREE by St Francis. Errors are costly, and leads to sometimes the flood gates opening and last night Bonita’s “D” stepped up and BEAT a SOLID AMAT team.
    Of couse this means NOTHING if Bonita can’t grab the DIV III title and Amat the DIV IV ring. It was for a GOOD CAUSE, and made for good conversation, but remember it was still just a game in April.

• Aaron

Congrats to all the Bearcats. This win means something, just not sure what, but excellent effort. Keep playing your game.

• touch

nice win

• Dan

Could not make the game last night but I wished I had.
    With Amat beating several national and state ranked teams lately and Bonita coming in and beating Amat, it just goes to show how strong the baseball is in our so called little fishbowl, from the looks of it, the SGV takes a back seat to nobody when it comes to highschool baseball. Good job Bonita and good job Amat, way to represent our communities.

• Mclovin

Great performance by Brandon Murfett and the whole bonita baseball team. We are very Proud of you young men good luck the rest of the season . Again Great job BRANDON !!!!!!!

• Outside Observer

Game last night was worth the price of admission. Hope that the foundation raised some nice $ for their cause.
    As a long time outside BHS baseball observer (since 2005) Knott gets his teams to compete but he does have some nice talent to work with. Several of the Seniors should get to play at the next level and their next coaches are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Matt Gelalich Baseballs version of Big Game James. Continues to play big in these types of big games. This kid wreaks havoc on the base paths and can flat out play CF. Plus, plus speed in outfield, great reads and plus arm too. Swings a pretty nice bat too.
    KC Huth Its been noted before, cannon arm and why coaches dont recognize it in warm ups and try to run on him is beyond me. Plus, plus arm and plus speed. Motor is always running. Plays RF like a line backer. Pretty good hitter too.
    Mark Lindsay Underrated backstop. Seems baseball smart and just goes about his business. Very quiet behind the plate, sets ups hitters and blocks well. Seems like pitchers trust him when throwing the dirty stuff. Catch and throws are above average but seems to turn it up a notch with runners on. Bats not too bad either.
    Rob Mier Best hands Ive seen. Effortless turn on a double play. Really good range. Can hit the ball a ton and for average and runs well.
    Adam McCreery What more can you say: 6-8 Lefty that touches 90 and a ride to ASU. Hell be fun to keep track of. Coming back at the right time to help his team.
    Brandon Murfett After last night, there should be no more doubters. He has settled down and seems to be trusting his stuff. Seems like a quality kid with a great family. Love video on the blog humble kid who just loves to play. Heard he is off to Mt. Sac.

There are a few other seniors that get some time and no disrespect to any of them, just havent seen enough of their play to make comment.

There are several underclass who are contributing big and will also get a chance to play at the next level: Garza, Row, Castro, Henley. No disrespect for not listing their strengths, but just wanted to acknowledge the Seniors. And no disrespect to any other teams in the SGV I agree there is a ton of talent out there.

Knott wont have to re-build, just re-load. Nice problem to have.

Stay humble boys..dont look past your next opponent.one game at a time.