Track: Remontay McClain and Beejay Lee run fastest 100 meters in California; San Dimas’ Katherine Salcido wins four VVL titles

Valle Vista League Finals photo gallery

Valle Vista League finals results

Sierra League finals results

More on Beejay Lee: Lee moved into the chase after running a blistering 10.36 seconds to win the 100 at Thursday’s Hacienda League finals at Rowland High.

Covina High School’s Remontay McClain let everyone know he’s serious about defending his 100 and 200-meter state titles at Thursday’s Valle Vista League finals at Baldwin Park, easily winning both races in league-record time. After matching his personal best in the 100 meters in 10.35 — the second fastest in the nation and best in the state this year, McClain followed with a blistering wind-aided (3.0) 20.92 in the 200 meters, also the fastest in California and the fourth fastest in the country in any conditions.
McLain, mild-mannered for a sprint champion, seemed oblivious to the history he’s chasing. Nobody in California prep history has ever won back-to-back titles in the 100 and 200 meters. In fact, only one person has won both in two different state meets.
Charles Paddock of Pasadena High did it in 1916 and 1918, then later went on to win the 100 meters at the 1920 Olympic games in Belgium. (To continue click thread)

McClain, on hiw way to Azusa Pacific, couldn’t believe it.
“Really,” McClain asked. “I heard something like that. I don’t know what to say or how to explain it. I just feel good.”

McClain has his eyes set on California’s state record in the 100 meters, owned by Hawthorne’s Henry Thomas, who ran 10.25 in 1985.

Covina coach Kevin Glaspy isn’t surprised by anything McClain does.

“He’s a month ahead of last year’s schedule,” Glaspy said. “Who knows how he might finish up. He’s still scratching the surface of his capabilities.”

The second fastest 100 meter time in California came a few miles away at Rowland High on Thursday, where West Covina’s BeeJay Lee won the Hacienda League title in 10.36. And with nemesis George Farmer of Serra looming, Glaspy expects a thrilling finish over the next month.

“It’s probably intimidating the way he ran today,” Glaspy said of McClain. “But you still got to race. You still have to train, nobody’s going to give it to him. He’s been beaten by Lee and Farmer. It’s the sprints, anything can happen.”

San Dimas’ Katherine Salcido, on her way to UCLA on a track scholarship, warmed up for the coming weeks by winning three individual events and anchoring the Saints 400-meter winning relay squad.

Salcido won the high jump in 5 feet, 4 inches and long jump (18′ 4 1/2).

In her signature event, the 100 meter hurdles, Salcido set a Valle Vista league record in the prelims, running 14.08, which is the fifth fastest in California.

She won the 100 hurdle finals in 14.55 Thursday, then laughed it off because she ran in her long jump spikes after misplacing her sprint spikes.

Still, another great afternoon for a senior who wants to be a heptathlete at UCLA.
“I’m hoping to win a (CIF) title in the hurdles,” said Salcido, who competes in Division 5. “I feel good in the high jump and long jump too. I’m just trying to stay in control and see what happens.”

In other races, San Dimas sophomore Yamani Wallace won the girls’ 100 and 200 meters, winning it 12.45 and 25.28 respectively.

Northview’s Khalalah Todd won the girls 400 meters (100.81) and Nogales’ Anna Barcelo won the 1,600 in 5:37.40.

Northview’s Allen Callison, on hiw way to UC Irvine, easily won the boys 1,500 in 4:31.96 and Wilson’s Keith Hawk won the 400 meters in 51.53.

Pomona freshman Brittany Mitchell won the girls 300 meter hurdles in 1:47.21 and Wilson’s Joshua Nelson won the boys 300 hurdles in 40.45

• Dan

Wow,
    Great performance by both BeeJay and Remontay, way to represent the SGV, good luck to all the local track kids.

• Wilson triple

Wilson had another league champ today to add to Hawk and Nelson in the VVL finals – AJ Jiminez won the 800m

• SaintsR4real

Great Job Katherine, good luck closing out the season and congrats on making tha Valle Vista 5!!

• Anon

Shannon McKee (Cal, soccer) ran the anchor on the winning 4x100m relay, not Katherine Salcido (UCLA, track). Salcido ran the third leg.

• Dan

Like the attitude of Remontay, truley a humble and unassuming kid, good luck to him, Beejay, Kathrine S. and all the sgv kids in CIF.

• factoid

Wilson triple,

How about his for a fact:

Nick from Rowland won the 800, 400, mile and anchored the 4×4 with a blistering 49 seconds to come from behind and win the race! This kid is hands down the best track runner in the entire SGV! And to top it off…is the nicest kid you can meet!

• how?

No disrespect, but how can he be the best when you have a defending state champion in tracks sexy races, the 100 and 200. Unless the Rowland guy is running state and national best times, he’s not the best in the valley by any stretch

• VVL Track

Great coverage of the VVL track meet Fred. That kid from Covina is something else. The amazing Kat Salcido also had a great day. Awesome pic of her in the 4X100 dustin’ that girl from Northview!

• Saints Fan

VVL Track,

Let’s be nice here. That poor girl from Northview never had a chance, but at least she tried. Not everyone can get a scholarship to UCLA or New Mexico State (I believe that is where Todd is going). Somebody needs to work at Walmart! In fact, only K. Todd and also the high jumper impressed me from the Northview team. “It takes a little bit more to be a Saint!”

• Viking Faithful

The Northview women’s 4×100 team should have won that race yesterday but we are extremely weak on the 3rd leg. That is where we lost the lead and usually lose the race when we do lose. IMO, a change needs to be made, but it probably will not happen since CIF is next week. Oh well, another year of dashed hopes. I feel sorry for the other ladies on that NHS relay team who work so hard to get a lead only to have one lose it. However, I will give credit where credit is due. Congrats to the Lady Saints on a good afternoon. Good luck to all CIF qualifiers!

• Leslie

Good luck to Sophomore, Yamani Wallace who took VVL champion in the 100 and 200. A relative unknown but definitely one to watch for! She was also on the winning 4×1 team and has shown consistent strength throughout this season. Along with the rest of her team she is an excellent example of a lady Saint!

• Anon

The Lady Saints swept the 100m at league finals, yet Northview should have won the 4x100m? That makes no sense. At the league dual meet Northview had the lead on the last handoff (after the third leg), but the San Dimas anchor (McKee) caught and passed the Northview anchor for the win. Way to throw your third leg under the bus, Viking Faithful.

Saints Fan, let’s not be so harsh. “Somebody needs to work at Walmart”? Wow. That’s cold. The Northview girl (West) may not have caught Salcido in the hurdles, but she ran a very respectable time and I hope she qualifies for CIF Finals!

Leslie and Viking Faithful, it looks as if we all agree that the relay team members should get more recognition. Relays are hardly ever mentioned, and if so, the individual runners are rarely listed. Relay runners work hard on their speed and also on their handoffs and should be given more recognition.

Viking Faithful, I join you in wishing good luck to all of the VVL and SGV CIF qualifiers. Do us proud!

And BTW, most of the VVL schools are D3 in track, not D5.

• Leslie

To Anon:
    I completely agree with you, well said!

• Viking Faithful

Anon,

No one is throwing anyone “under the bus.” Just simply pointing out the obvious. At the dual meet you are correct in stating that McKee caught our anchor, coming from behind. However, you failed to mention the huge lead that Northview had coming into the 3rd leg which San Dimas all but made up after that portion of the race. This is why I said yesterday “that (the 3rd leg) is where we lost the lead and usually lose the race when we do lose.” No question that San Dimas has 4 quality athletes in all portions of the race. All I’m asking is for Northview to have the same. We will never be able to compete with the elite teams in CIF only having 3 quality athletes out of 4.

• Saints Fan

Anon,

I agree completely with you that the girl from Northview (West) ran a good race in the hurdles which actually surprised me. And while finishing 2nd, I do beleive she qualified for CIF.

My comment was based on VVL Track’s comment about Kat Salcido “dustin that girl from Northview” in the 4×100 race (It’s the first pic in the gallery). That girl from NHS had no chance as you can see the determination on Kat’s face and the desperation on the Northview girl’s face. This is the difference between a Division 1 athlete and a future Walmart employee!

“It takes a little bit more to be a Saint!”

• Saints Fan

Anon,

My comment was based on VVL Track’s comment about Kat Salcido “dustin that girl from Northview” in the 4×100 race (It’s the first pic in the photo gallery). That girl from NHS had no chance as you can see the determination on Kat’s face and the desperation on the Northview girl’s face. This is the difference between a Division 1 athlete and a future Walmart employee!

• Dan

Viking Faithful,
    Uhhh, I would call that throwing the poor girl under the bus.

Saints Fan
    I’m trying to connect the dots here… Lets see, girl tries her best but comes in second place in a highschool track meet = future at Walmart? Ahhh now I got it.
    So it takes a little bit more of WHAT to be a Saint?

• Losser …….

Saints Fan,

Based on your comment I can also assume that I am going to see your complete football program working at Walmart over in La Verne.

What a stupid comment …..

• Steve Ramirez

Saints Fan:
    I’m one Viking who seemed to make it in this world. Now I check my Black and Gold card at the door when I cover an event – kind of like when Troy Aikman calls a Cowboys’ game. But I’m also a proud Northview alum.
    You seem to forget the credo that you win with class; you lose with class.
    Don’t be like those San Dimas’ parents of a few years ago who trash talked to Northview’s catcher during the game, then had Karma intervene.
    My advice to you as always: Win win class; lose with class.