Baseball: Bonita earns No. 1 seed in Division 3; Amat No. 2 in Division 4; South Hills goes 20-4 and has wild-card game in D-2?

“It’s a slap in the face to the (Sierra). Are we the Rodney Dangerfield’s of the division? I’ll never understand the process, but it just doesn’t make sense. But as much as I want to complain, cry and moan, I can’t do that. It is what it is, we’ll line up and we’ll go play. “South Hills coach Kevin Smith after his Huskies finish 20-4 and have to play a wild card on Tuesday.

Click here for CIF baseball pairings

South Hills High School baseball coach Kevin Smith was shocked when the CIF-Southern Section Division 2 baseball playoffs were announced Monday. After finishing 20-4 overall and tied with Chino Hills for the Sierra League title, South Hills lost the head-to-head tiebreaker with Chino Hills for the league’s top playoff entry, but Smith never thought entering the playoffs as a second-place team with an impressive resume would result in a wild-card game. There are 48 teams in Division 2, with 16 teams in the first-round and 32 playing wild card games. Of the 16 teams in the first round, 12 are league champions and four finished second. (To continue story and view playoff pairings, click thread)

Tuesday’s wild card schedule
Division 2

Damien at Redondo Union, 3:15 p.m.
Rancho Verde at South Hills, 3:15 p.m.
Division 3
Ocean View at Diamond Bar, 3:15 p.m.
Walnut at Knight, 3:15 p.m.
Division 4
Grace Brethren at Northview, 3:15 p.m.
Baldwin Park at Bishop Montgomery, 3:15 p.m.
Nogales at Santa Ana Calvary Chapel, 3:15 p.m.
Division 5
Azusa at Paraclete, 3:15 p.m.
Mountain View at Linfield Christian, 3:15 p.m.
El Monte at Gladstone, 3:15 p.m.
Duarte at Rubidoux, 3:15 p.m.

Smith wonders how a team like Mission Viejo, who finished 18-13 overall and second in the Sea View League, is in the first round while South Hills is hosting Inland Valley at-large Rancho Verde (13-3-1) in a wild-card today at 3:15 p.m., with the winner facing Pac-7 champ Arroyo Grande (20-7) in the first-round on Thursday.
“I know Glendora is in the Baseline now, but they were in the Sierra last year and won the CIF title,” Smith said. “It’s a respect factor. I don’t know how a team that finishes in a tie for a league title, has the record that we do and plays the types of teams that we do gets jobbed like this.
“It’s a slap in the face to the (Sierra). Are we the Rodney Dangerfield’s of the division? I’ll never understand the process, but it just doesn’t make sense. But as much as I want to complain, cry and moan, I can’t do that. It is what it is, we’ll line up and we’ll go play (today.)”
Glendora (17-6-1), the defending champion and Baseline League’s top entry, could face a familiar foe in the first round. Glendora awaits the winner of today’s wild card with Damien (14-12) at Redondo Union (15-15). If the Spartans win, they will be at Glendora on Thursday.
Chino Hills (18-8) will open the first round Thursday against the wild-card winner between St. Francis (14-13) and Peninsula (19-8-1).
As expected, Bonita (24-4) earned the No. 1 seed in Division 3 and will host the winner of today’s wild card between Bell Gardens (13-7) and Lakeside (12-11-1) in the first-round on Friday.
Other Division 3 wild card games today are Ocean View (16-10) at Diamond Bar, and Walnut (8-13) at Knight (12-11).
Los Altos (18-9), which finished second to Bonita in the Hacienda, will host Rialto (18-9) in the first round Friday.
Bishop Amat (24-4) is the No. 2 seed in Division 4 and will open the playoffs at home Thursday against either Ridgecrest Burroughs (14-8) or Chaffey (12-13).
Valle Vista League champion San Dimas (19-8-1) is home against the wild card winner between Chino (25-6) and Palm Springs (14-12).
Covina (16-10), which finished second in the Valle Vista, is home against La Salle (17-10) in the first round Thursday.
In Division 4 wild cards today, Northview (12-13) is at Grace Brethren (9-14-1), Baldwin Park (13-12) is at Bishop Montgomery (11-14) and Nogales (14-12) is at Santa Ana Calvary Chapel (14-12).
Montview League champion Sierra Vista (19-4) leads a large contingent in the Division 5 playoffs.
Sierra Vista will host West Valley (10-16) in the first-round on Friday.
Mission Valley champion Arroyo (15-7) is home against Lompoc (15-10-7) and La Puente (15-7) is on the road against Desert Hot Springs (12-10).
In Division 5 wild-cards today, Azusa (8-14) is at Paraclete (19-6), Mountain View (12-10) is at Linfield Christian (17-7), Duarte (10-10) is at Rubidoux (10-11) and Gladstone (15-6) is home against El Monte (10-10).

CIF-Southern Section
BASEBALL PLAYOFFS
DIVISION 2

Tuesday’s wild card
A–Pioneer Valley at Dos Pueblos
B–Miller at Vista del Lago
C–Damien at Redondo
D–Sherman Oaks Notre Dame at Mayfair
E–Pasadena at Placentia Valencia
F–Rancho Verde at South Hills
G–Rancho Cucamonga at Yucaipa
H–Norwalk at Aliso Niguel
I–Hoover at Bellflower
J–Santa Maria St. Joseph at Buena
K–St. Francis at Peninsula
L–Tustin at Etiwanda
M–Palos Verdes at Paso Robles
N–Valley View at Garden Grove Pacifica
O–San Luis Obispo at Alemany
P–La Sierra at Redlands East Valley
Thursday’s First round
Top Bracket

Winner wild-card A at #1 Cypress
Winner wild-card B at Mission Viejo
Winner wild-card C at Glendora
Winner wild-card D at Crescenta Valley
Winner wild-card E at Harvard-Westlake
Winner wild-card F at Arroyo Grande
Winner wild-card G at West Torrance
Winner wild-card H at #4 Santa Barbara
Bottom Bracket
Winner wild-card I at #3 Redlands
Winner wild-card J at Canyon Springs
Winner wild-card K at Chino Hills
Winner wild-card L at Trabuco Hills
Winner wild-card M at Chaminade
Winner wild-card N at Los Osos
Winner wild-card O at La Mirada
Winner wild-card P at #2 Arcadia

DIVISION 3
Tuesday’s wild card
A–Lakeside at Bell Gardens
B–Ocean View at Diamond Bar
C–Palmdale at Downey
D–Irvine University at Santa Fe
E–Walnut at Knight
F–Cajon at Heritage
G–Warren at Westminster La Quinta

Friday’s first-round
Top Bracket

Winner wild-card A at #1 Bonita
Northwood at Lancaster
Loara at Gahr
San Gorgonio at Garden Grove
Winner wild-card B at Colton
Paloma Valley at El Rancho
Montebello at Santa Monica
Winner wild-card C at #4 Beckman
Bottom Bracket
Winner wild-card D at #3 Alhambra
Winner wild-card E at Rancho Alamitos
Culver City at Westminster
Winner wild-card F at Paramount
Hawthorne at Temescal Canyon
Rialto at Los Altos
Whittier at Woodbridge
Winner wild-card G at #2 Quartz Hill

DIVISION 4
Tuesday’s wild card

A–Estancia at Anaheim
B–La Canada at Summit
C–Grace Brethren at Northview
D–Baldwin Park at Bishop Montgomery
E–Montclair at Victor Valley
F–Bloomington at Indio
G–South Pasadena at Nordhoff
H–Jurupa Valley at Katella
I–Palm Springs at Chino
J–Nogales at Santa Ana Calvary Chapel
K–North Torrance at Troy
L–Chaffey at Ridgecrest Burroughs

Thursday’s first-round
Top Bracket

Winner wild-card A at #1 Palm Desert
La Salle at Covina
Winner wild-card B at Colony
Winner wild-card C at Sonora
Winner wild-card D at Oaks Christian
Winner wild-card E at Savanna
Monrovia at El Segundo
Winner wild-card F at #4 Laguna Beach
Bottom Bracket
Winner wild-card G at #3 Torrance
La Habra at Don Lugo
Winner wild-card H at Granite Hills
Winner wild-card I at San Dimas
Winner wild-card J at La Quinta
Winner wild-card K at Kaiser
St. Bonaventure at Temple City
Winner wild-card L at #2 Bishop Amat

DIVISION 5
Tuesday’s wild card

A–Twentynine Palms at Serrano
B–Azusa at Paraclete
C–Mountain View at Linfield Christian
D–Arrowhead Christian at Maranatha
E–Templeton at Mary Star
F–Aquinas at Shadow Hills
G–El Monte at Gladstone
H–Duarte at Rubidoux

Friday’s first-round
Top Bracket

Winner wild-card A at #1 Woodcrest Christian
Gardena Serra at Cerritos Valley Christian
Gabrielino at Lompoc Cabrillo
Winner wild-card B at Hemet
Winner wild-card C at Oak Hills
La Puente at Desert Hot Springs
Winner wild-card D at Citrus Valley
Winner wild-card E at #4 Campbell Hall
Bottom Bracket
Winner wild-card F at #3 Whittier Christian
Lompoc at Arroyo
Riverside Notre Dame at Montclair Prep
West Valley at Sierra Vista
Winner wild-card G at Nipomo
Sultana at Tahquitz
Ontario Christian at Big Bear
Winner wild-card H at #2 Cathedral

• GameDayatUSC

WEIRD!!!!!

Bonita has a cakewalk to the finals. Amat’s bracket looks decent, and interesting but WOW in DIV II. Please explain how Arcadia has a # 2 seed? I guess or thought these hack jobs @ CIF go only by wins and losses. But I am also wondering if that is true, then how can you have Yucapia, South Hills, Alemany, Buena in a WC match with I think ALL having 20 W’S.
    Still should be a exciting few weeks.

• What?

Not only is South Hills the Wild Card!!!!! But when they win they travel all the way to Arroyo Grande. They have the worst draw out of the entire division for a 20 win team. CIF is amazing.

• reality

Coach, crying and moaning is exactly what you are doing. Just shut up and get the team ready to play the wild-card. JEEEEEZ!!!!

• just sayin’

In case anyone forgot, this past August South Hills wrote he book on “How Not to Make Friends and Influence the CIF Office”

Kevin Smith can thank AD Paul Reed for this one!

• socalbaseball fan

There is a huge difference in the talent in D2 vs D3. Diamond Bar who must have lost the 2nd place tiebreaker gets a tough wc game vs Ocean View who has a better record. If the brahmas beat OV then will hit the road vs Colton who has a tough junior pitcher and the brahmas will be doing well to win one game. I will probably go watch the Rancho Cucamonga-Yucaipa game tomorrow. Yucaipa has good hitters from 1-9 led by sr Kevin Davidson(UCR) and jr Tyler Sapp(SDSU).

• Steve Ramirez

Let’s all remember that his is not a true No.1-32 seeded tournament. CIF-SS only seeds the top four seeds, ranks the strength of each league in the division, and places teams in the bracket using that formula. They don’t even look at the record of the teams from that standpoint, just where they finished in their league and how strong that league was ranked. They then connect the dots.

• Badformula

So Steve, because Mission Viejo is in the SeaView League, then that league was rated higher than the Sierra, right? Is that was explains why an 18-13 team gets a break over a 20-4 team, because the league is rated stronger? That’s bull. CIF has to do better than that, because you’re not placing two teams in the first round and arguing who has a tougher game, you’re giving one team a huge break with a first-round home game, as opposed to playing a wild card just to play a road game in the first round. They need to look at the records when it comes to that, what is Mission Viejo was 13-18, do you still give it to them because their league is rater higher? If this is the formula, bad formula.

• geez

D-Bar has some talent

Butt no coaching………..

• Steve Ramirez

BadFormula: Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m just explaining the formula CIF-SS uses to put together 14 tournament brackets in one day. Coaches in all sports have been complaining about them for years. But in defense of CIF-SS, this is the best formula they can come up with, since there is no rpi for the high school level. I cover the area colleges, who use a state rpi, and there are a few suspect seedings. But it’s much easier to seed 1-16 when you are putting together one tourney as opposed to 14.

• brokenarrow

@gameday- did any of those win their league out-right? SH should worry about 2morrow and smitty should sign-up for the 21st century. Good luck

• great draw for DB

to socal
    This is a great draw for diamond bar, Ocean View is a weak team, DB can use Omana to handle them, them use Kenny for second round. Great relief for the coaching staff. Now DB will probably win 2 games and more. For those bad parents, there’s nothing to complain about, If your kid can shine in one game, he won’t sit on the bench for the whole season. Everyone get a chance to play, you better be ready when the opportunity comes.

• @Geez

DB has some talent yes but it seems like some of those players are hard headed and cry alot about everything. This Coach seems to takes alot of heat. Lets pull it together DB, just a few games left, stop crying and play the game.

• GameDayatUSC

@ Brokenarrow (<– been to a town named this in OK)

Anyway, I agree you shouldn’t be complaining, and you should just be happy to be in. But the Coach does have some valid points. I beleive it should be looked at as a body of work as a whole. To have teams that have won 20 + games or 19 having to play a WC card game makes no sense. As for South Hills they I believe TIED for the title, so I have No problem sending them on the road even, but to have them as a WC is just plain stupid. EVEN worse look at DIV IV, where CHINO is also a WC team with a 25-6 overall record. Just makes you wonder what these people at CIF were thinking.

Good Luck!

• Fred Robledo

I agree that South Hills got jobbed, Joe Amat couldn’t explain his way out of this one. Piggy-backing on what Steve said, even if you ranked leagues, how in the world is the Pacific League ranked ahead of the Sierra? The Pacific’s second-place team, Crescenta Valley, is 22-4, which is impressive, no argument with that. Plus, league champ Arcadia is 23-3, but the third-place team from their league, Pasadena, wouldn’t make the playoffs in the Valle Vista League. I watched Covina rip them apart in a tournament here. The Sierra has third place teams like Damien, and a team like Charter Oak that doesn’t make the playoffs, it’s by far a stronger league. Plus, how is Arcadia No. 2 in the Division. Way too much respect for their league. Every year Arcadia hosts its tournament, and every year a team from our end of the Valley wins it, this year Bonita, other years Glendora. Any way you look at it, South Hills got jobbed.

• Joe Amat

Freddie,

I’d explain it away if I was in the office – LOL!

Seriously though – Smith 1st comment was re: Mission Viejo and you have to go to Steve’s thoughts on only seeding 1-4 and then following the formula. Damien (Sierra #3) is in that top quarter bracket and has to be in the opposite half from South Hills. Same with Seaview #3 Aliso Niguel being in the bottom half – opposite Mission Viejo. In theory they could switch those pairs and SH could be in the 1st round – but then they’d be in the same quarter with #1 seed Cypress. I’m sure Smitty wouldn’t want that. He’s certainly not saying he’d like to switch spots with Mission Viejo?

I do think putting this many brackets together in such a short time is tough and extra thought to where 2nd place teams would like to be probably isn’t at the top of their list of priorities. I think basketball probably does it best because the coaches poll seems to have a far greater weight and is usually closer to a “true seed”.

I also believe, as stated below, that South Hills didn’t endear themselves to the CIF office when they “switched Principals and also their principles” as Thom Simmons put it. Reminds me of the official that asked a coach “So – you didn’t like that call?” When the complaining coach said no the official said – “Then wait ’til you see the next one!”

• http://rgd2626 old timer

reality,
    i agree, it reminds me of Hags a couple of years ago complaining about there bye week, he was afraid he could get them ready. so I hear ya.

• brokenarrow

@gameday-your guys got the job done and I congratulate the boys. would love to see you @ the revinve should that shape up-be well and keep winning