WILD-CARDS: St. Lucy’s holds on for 11-9 victory; Damien beats Redondo, will play at Glendora Thursday; South Hills wins; Diamond Bar loses

South Hills wins big: The Huskies jumped all over visiting Rancho Verde for six runs in the first inning and didn’t look back in a 10-1 victory.

Diamond Bar blows late lead: Timmy Robinson hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning and the visiting Ocean View Seahawks rallied for a 4-3 victory over the Brahmas in a Division 3 wild-card game Tuesday.

Thanks to its biggest scoring outburst of the season, the St. Lucy’s High School softball team doesn’t have to dwell over its near collapse in Tuesday’s CIF-Southern Section playoff game.
When you win, everything is forgiven.
Visiting Fillmore scored five runs in the seventh and sent the tying runner to the plate, but St. Lucy’s pitcher Danielle O’Toole got a strikeout to end the game and St. Lucy’s held on for an 11-9 victory in a Division 3 wild-card game. (To continue, click thread).

Today’s predictions: Damien, South Hills and Diamond Bar should all advance to the first round, but that’s it. Northview has a chance at home, but don’t see Walnut, Baldwin Park, Nogales or any of the teams in Division 5 winning with the exception of the El Monte-Gladstone game, someone has to move on, probably Gladstone. In softball, Glendora will go down at Valencia, but I like St. Lucy’s and Los Altos to move on and possibly Covina. As for everyone else, it’s one and done I’m afraid.

Baseball
Today’s wild card results
Division 2

Damien 3, Redondo Union 1
South Hills 10, Rancho Verde 1
Division 3
Ocean View 4, Diamond Bar 3
Walnut at Knight, 3:15 p.m.
Division 4
Grace Brethren 3, Northview 0
Bishop Montgomery 2, Baldwin Park 0
Nogales at Santa Ana Calvary Chapel, 3:15 p.m.
Division 5
Gladstone 13, El Monte 1
Duarte 11, Rubidoux 6
Paraclete 2, Azusa 1 (9)
Mountain View at Linfield Christian, 3:15 p.m.

Softball
Today’s wild-card results
Division 1

Glendora at Placentia Valencia, postponed Wednesday
Division 2
Los Altos 2, Rancho Verde 0
Division 3
St. Lucy’s 11, Fillmore 0
Division 4
Nogales at Culver City, 3:15 p.m.
Coachella Valley at Covina, 3:15 p.m.
Division 5
Sierra Vista at Ramona Convent, 3:15 p.m.
Rosemead at Hemet, 3:15 p.m.
La Puente at Lompoc Cabrillo, 3:15 p.m.

St. Lucy’s committed two errors in the seventh and four errors in the game, but the Regents scored five runs with two outs in the fifth, getting six straight hits to take a 10-4 lead, which was the difference.
St. Lucy’s (14-12) advances to Thursday’s first round at Pacific League champion Burbank Burroughs (19-7).
“We came a little bit undone, but we pulled it back together,” O’Toole said.
St. Lucy’s coach Ryan Nuveman said nerves might have played a part.
“We’ve never had a six or seven run lead this year,” Nuveman said. “Our offensive surge might have caused some relaxation on the part of our defense. We haven’t had a (big lead) and didn’t know how to act. But it was encouraging to score a lot of runs and we’re thrilled to have a win and be moving on.”
St. Lucy’s third baseman Brandi Harkness was 3-for-3 with three RBIs and two runs scored. O’Toole doubled in two runs and Laura Swan had two hits, including an RBI double in the seventh.
In all, the Regents had 13 hits, which is normally more than enough for O’Toole, who finished with 10 strikeouts, but seven of Fillmore’s nine runs were unearned.
“The defense looked like this was their first chance at a playoff win in a few years,” Nuveman explained. “We looked too tight to me. Some of the plays were the type right at us and we muff it left or we muff it right.
“Don’t get me wrong, they hit a lot of hard balls and some of the shots we dove for. But we have to do better, we didn’t look comfortable, and maybe it was just because we had a big lead, but we have to do better.”
It was St. Lucy’s sixth win in its last seven games, and O’Toole is throwing the best she has since recovering from elbow tendinitis midway through the year.
“I’m feeling stronger and throwing a little quicker,” O’Toole said. “I came back after four months without playing ball. But the more I play and pitch the better I feel.”
Harkness’ single in the first drove in two runs and Swan’s single drove in another to stake the Regents to a 3-0 lead in the third.
After Fillmore’s Olivia Alcozar doubled, Maritza Mesa doubled her home to trim the Regents’ lead to 3-1.
After Fillmore scored three runs in the fifth to take a 4-3 lead, St. Lucy’s answered with seven runs in the bottom half to go up 10-4.
Brianna Gomez, O’Toole, Cassandra Valizan, Caroline Smith, Jasmine Sosa and Danielle Mavridis all came up with two-out hits to keep the rally going for the Regents, who added a run in the sixth.
“It was great to see us hit the ball hard,” Nuveman said. “You saw it, we (sprayed) it all over. That was our best scoring game of the season, and it’s always encouraging when you can do it in a playoff game, so from that standpoint, I’m pretty pleased.”

OCEAN VIEW 4, DIAMOND BAR 3
By Steve Ramirez
DIAMOND BAR –
There are no guarantees during the CIF- Southern Section baseball playoffs.
Not even when Diamond Bar High School’s Kenny Mathews, arguably the area’s best pitcher, is on the mound.
Timmy Robinson hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning and the visiting Ocean View Seahawks rallied for a 4-3 victory over the Brahmas in a Division 3 wild-card game Tuesday.
Ocean View improved to 17-10 and will play at Colton in Friday’s first round. Diamond Bar, getting two hits and an RBI from Victor Telles, finished 15-12.
Mathews, the Brahmas’ Mr. Reliable over the past three seasons, gave up nine hits and finished 5-5.
“Mathews has accomplished quite a bit,” Diamond Bar coach Eric Shibley said. “He’s made his name known due to what he’s accomplished the last two or three years.
“Yeah, we were confident, hoping with our ace on the mound that we could get through this one.
“He gave up a few hits before (the home run) and left one up to a decent hitter. If you look at his numbers, (Robinson) is a good hitter.”
Diamond Bar, the No. 3 team from the Hacienda League, looked like it was going to advance early on by leading 3-0 after five innings.
The Brahmas led 2-0 after two and scored on a throwing error in the first inning and on a double by Jeremy Duran in the second.
Diamond Bar pushed the advantage to 3-0 in the fifth on an RBI single from Telles.
But Ocean View,
which had seven hits during the final three innings, made it 3-2 in the sixth. Blake Walker and Robert Fogarty singled before advancing to second and third on a sacrifice.
Travis Sparks-Jackson then lined a single to left to score Walker. The ball skipped by left fielder Jason Kimsey for an error that scored Fogarty.
“That didn’t help any,” Shibley said. “In big games, you have to make big plays.
“Mechanics-wise, I told the kid he did exactly what you are supposed to do. It got over or under his glove, whatever the case may be. That’s tough.”
Mathews, who had five strikeouts, ended the threat by striking out Chad Hackworth and inducing Freddy Sepulveda to ground out.
He couldn’t, however, stop the Seahawks’ surge.
Luke Fell led off the seventh with a single to center. Robinson then worked the count to 2-0 before slugging Mathews’ next pitch for a home run and 4-3 lead.
Reliever Colton Johnson then struck out two batters in the bottom of the inning to win it.
“I give credit to (Ocean View),” Shibley said. “They came out, didn’t give up and swung the bat, and outhit us.”

• A tru baseball fan

Getting past Redando will be no small tasks for a Damien team that struggled for any level of consistently this year. In addition if to beat Redando Damien needs to burn their #1 and #2 then they stand no chance against the offensively powerful Tartans. Damiens #1 would be challenged to shut the Tartans down at home let alone their #2. Then if you enter into the equation anyone after that it could get real ugly real quick. The Tartans have enough offense to get them through the first 2 rounds but their real question will be do they have the arms to get beyond that. This is great time of year and it will be fun to watch.

• so cal

Any word on the local games? Any word on field conditions?

• Info

Damien will only burn through their #1(Gonzales) and probably a closer. The real issue for the Spartans will be there batting, can they put the ball in play. Redondo is an improved team, but Im going with the Spartans today. If they face Glendora, # 2 (Lee) will be on the mound. That could go either way. Go Spartans!

• A little warpt

Is it me or does it look Coach Levya has his wanker out in that picture…..lol
    Just a little fun…no phun intended

• game still on

The St. Lucy’s game is still on as scheduled.

• Go Spartans

Will Damien be missing the Hockins brothers today due to the sad news today?

Rest in peace Harmon Killebrew. A true legend!

Go Spartans!!!!

• Wow!

(A little warpt said: )

Sure looks like it… LMAO

• Info

The Damien game will start at 4 pm.

• Steve Ramirez

The Glendora softball game was postponed until Wednesday. I’m now at the Ocean View at Diamond Bar baseball game.

• randy

Steve, can we get a score update from DBHS?

• Steve Ramirez

It’s 3-0 DB after 5…u can click on the live scoring link, use the customer number to get access.

• SGV Baseball

South Hills won 10-1

• randy

Just got the news from dbhs via Steve….damn!!!!!!

• get it right…again!

Saint Lucy’s 11
    Fillmore 9

• DB wins

What’s wrong Randy? Dbar leads 3-0 after 5 according to steve. Why not happy?

• DB wins

BTW, Steve, where is the live scoring link?
    Thanks.

• Still a Good Game DB

Diamond Bar Brahmas, you still played a heck of a game today. Saw some Team Spirit today. Players AND Coach, nice job.

• Amat Dad

Amat softball team will play Paramount who defeated Santa Fe 4-3..Game rescheduled to 1p on Thurs.

• KFK

Did Damien win?

• Bye Shibley

Dbar CHOKES once again! Shibley must go. Kenny has suffered at the hands of Shibley. What a shame.

• Grandstand

Los Altos over Rancho Verde 2-0

• what’s wrong

Bye SB
    I thought DB leads 3-0 after 5, what’ s the final score. How did DB lose the 3-0 leads?

• Frank

Duarte won 11-6

• @bye Shibley

REALLY?!? YOU sound like a broken record, Accountability is something that will come with Maturity.

• Big Dog

Gladstone won El Monte by a score of 13-1!

• socalbaseball fan

No surprise that the brahmas lost today.
    1. They have a hard time beating OC teams this year.
    2. They lose most of the one run games.
    3. OVHS is the defending D3 champions.
    4. DBHS has no real quality wins this year.
    5. Time for a coaching change as Shibley is the worst baseball coach in DB history. Denis Paul,Kent Neil and Rich Gonzales as least got the brahmas most of the time past the first round.

• Have Been a DB fan for years

Watched the DB game today. Bye Shibley this is for you, lets take a look at some things,
    Most coaches I have dealt with are quality people, in my opinion the Coach from DB, Shibley, is just that.
    Unfortunately too many times, players and parents, point the blame to the coach. A player may not be performing their best or may not be getting enough playing time or has gotten into trouble. There are certainly times when a coach is to blame, but too often the coach is the first to blame. Most cases, a player needs to look inside themselves before blaming a coach or a teammate. True hard work and discipline on a consistent basis is often missing in this time of instant gratification. Ironically, the harder we work, the more likely we are to blame ourselves over failures and this should work in more motivation. Instead of blaming others, we should motivate one another by compensating for each others weaknesses. With the lack of blame, a team builds pure unity, positive reinforcement grows between teammates, and success is not hampered, but achieved.

• Info

Damien wins, 3-1. Gonzales throws complete game. Hocking goes yard.

• what’s wrong

Give me a reason why with KMatt and Omana on hands, DB still lost in the first round? I don’t care the whole regular season BS, Just say can you manage one playoff game and give us a win?

I agree with socalbaseball fan, something is not right. Maybe the AD of DB doesn’t care baseball team’s win or loss. Baseball is traditionally not a strong program in DB anyway.

• DBBrahmas!

Mathews pitched a great game except for the one homer in the 7th that lost the game, just had no defense behind him.
    Omana and Duran hit really well. There was some bad calls by Shibley that cost us a couple runs.

• Fred Robledo

Coaches get the credit and take the blame, but at the end of the day, players win, and players lose.

• player

DBBrahmas,
    Got the same news after your game. Maybe they did enough to be recognized by CIF.

• GIVEITAREST

Get off the Coaches case, if your Child Plays in a collegiate level at some point, those Coaches wont put up with the parents Crying and the player pouting. I think Diamond Bar Baseball has some growth to do but some of these comments are correct about pointing the finger so much at a coach, come on people give it a rest. I recall these things happening when other Coaches were at DB as well. Support your school, support, the Coach and Players.

• Also a SOCAL Fan

Well Said Fred. I feel bad for this poor Coach. I hope he stays with the program after dealing with the situations he has had to deal with this year.

• not a DB parent

Here you go DB parents put up or shutup.

http://www.baseballcoachesclinic.com

Maybe you can take a class and help your Coach, instead of crying you can be proactive, that would be something new. I feel bad for the team but it takes a team to win not 2 or 3 players.

• player

DBBrahmasfans,
    Ok just got off the phone with a good source. Coach did his job and pitched his ACE. Mathews gave up 9 hits and got hit hard. 2 errors not bad for DB.Up 3-2, The defense was there and good defensive plays were made. Errors are always costly but good plays were made on both sides of the ball. Player of the game for both schools #4 Ocean View game winning HR #24 Diamond Bar hit the ball hard and made the defensive plays.

• Angels in the Outfield

I would like to offer my condolences to the Erin (Killebrew) Hocking, Grant Hocking, Garrett Hocking & Chad Hocking for their loss today. Not easy to play a baseball game on a day like today. Jack and Erin have done a great job bringing up these kids.

Congrats to Chad who goes out and hits one for his grandpa! Pretty special moment for this young man to remember and honor his grandfather.

• As I see it

I was at the DBar game today. What exactly did the coach do wrong? Pitched his ace who gave up a seventh inning go ahead two run game winning homerun. How is that the coaches fault? Final 4-3. If Dbar hits the ball (5 hits) in the game they win. What did Shipley do wrong?

• maybe use Omana to close

If you ask ma what did coach do wrong? My second guess will be, whether we should use Omana to close the game or not?

For some reasons this year, KMatt usually get tired in the 6th or 7th Inn. That’s why I suggest we sit Kmatt for couple of games at the end of the season or skip some practices to get his arm fresh. Every coach can notice that when Kenny is tired, he leaves the ball up over there. This happened in couple of games this year, why don’t we learn the lesson and develope our closers for the team? JMHO from the pure coaching side.

• socalbaseball fan

Perhaps the brahmas should take the preleague tournament games more seriously and try to improve their overall record. There were only 3 wc games in D3. The Hacienda league minus Bonita was weak this year and the last loss to Los Altos was costly. Instead of trying to select Mathews to pitch vs certain teams it would be better to have a wed and friday pitcher and not change the rotation. Mathews was a better pitcher as a soph and may have developed arm trouble. Shibley 3 years includes first year no playoff,2-3 years one and done in a wc game. Start looking for easier tournaments and get out of the Loara tournament.

• Go Spartans!

Damien High School had a special moment yesterday. This biggest sports story was the passing of Legend Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew. His grandson Chad Hockin hits one out in tribute to his grandfather during the first round of CIF for Damien High School.

Vin Scully made the announcement last night during the Dodger game about how Chad Hockin from Damien High School paid tribute to his grandfather. At least someone covered this amazing story. Way to go Scully.

To Erin, Garrett, Chad & Grant….the Damien family offers their condolences.

• ?

Same old story at DB! One and dunzo!

• socalbaseball fan

The South Hills Coach should quit wining. Just win your league and you will get a first round bye. There are a lot of teams/leagues in D2. Yucaipa with a 21-6 record had to play a WC game vs Rancho Cucamonga and won 3-0. They used their #3 pitcher Justin Lewis and now have both Kevin Davidson and Tyler Sapp ready for West Torrance. The t-birds lost 2/3 to Redlands and have the best team in the CBL. Redlands starts 6 sophs and have a black hole in the #8-9 positions.

• Damien in the Headlines

Rick Monday (the Dodger radio announcer) also covered the Damien story about Chad Hockin. Way to go Chad! You are only a sophomore and rocketing the ball out of the park? Amazing.

• from the cheap seats

DB fans love their baseball and one can understand why they are very frustrated and have need to vent. DB just does not have the top coaching guys like Bonita, South Hills, Damien, or Northview.

But this one is not on the coach. Sorry.

Coach chose to bat Telles and the kid who has very few AB’s clutched up.
    Coach chose to play Duran at 3B. And he made every play, and had a key rbi 2B and hit the ball hard his other AB’s.
    Coach chose to start Mathews, and he did great. Many of O view hits had eyes up the middle, I think at least 6 of their 10 hits were grounders up middle.

DB defense was excellent, a DP play by Munoz/Walters was unreal and the bunt play Mathews made on the leadof hitter with 1st an 2nd no outs, was key. The score without those stellar plays could have easily been 6-3. The last inning had nothing to do with defense, and DBar had the lead.

Maybe the coach would have called a different first pitch as they were swinging at the first pitch and got most of their hits on it.

Mathews picked 2 guys.

IMHO the left fielder miss did not cost any more runs as the guy on second would have scored anyway.

Finally, maybe he should have closed with Omana, righty against righty and a new look, but does anyone here really think Mathews would have come out? I do not and most important, I think he deserved the right of final say on that one with what that young man has done at Diamond Bar.

Finally, finally, do you really think you had a deep run in you against teams like Bonita??

• Diamond Bar’s Coaches

Coaching is a thankless job, no doubt about it. Most coaches, coach for the love of the game and players. Once a coach has lost that drive or can’t seem to master the coaching concept, it’s time to step down. There is way more to coaching than just the basic hit, run, catch, concept. A coach must mentor, motivate, understand, connect, to his players. It’s also a coaches job to build confidence in his team. Playing baseball is 90 percent mental, once you have stripped your players of their confidence what’s left? A coach must support and back their own team good or bad. A good coach understands the transition of a young player (freshman) to a Senior in high school player, who is becoming a young adult. Their is a difference between the two, the concept that everyone is equal on a team is B.S., a coach must respect his players to get respect. A good coach doesn’t put all the pressure on his “Ace”, while still reminding him he’s no different from the player on the bench. A good coach builds relationships with each player, and isn’t afraid to openly support his team. A good coach motivates with compliments when your team is doing well, and feels the teams pain when their struggling. Having a nice field is great, having a coach that leads a team with confidence…..Priceless.

• ?

Geez wonder why this is the only school with all this madness. I know there are other teams out ther in the same situation. Sounds like Coach has really pissed some people off or did something to stir up all this. I just know the talent level is down in DB and so is the coaching level hahahahahahhaha

• Go Spartans!

Can we focus on the teams that are winning? Diamond Bar lost. The end. 25 of the 47 blogs are about the whining Brahmas.

Well done Damien, St. Lucy’s, South Hills, Gladstone and for all the other teams that are winning and not whining.

• Hahhhaaahhaa

Hey Spartan, That’s so funny coming from the biggest cry babies on earth. Hahhhahhhaaaa

• ?

Clean house DBar, start from scratch let the buddie go AD.

• The joke is on you

To Hahhhaaahhaa, you can laugh your way to the spectator stand because you guys are outta here…Thank you for playing, try again next year.

Slamming your coaches and the players in the blogs??? Take some pride, don’t be an Odom or a Bynum. Go out like men, learn some class and find the door. Nothing is worse than a sore loser. (Please see the 25 previous DB Blogs).

• Don

Anyone willing to give poor little Ocean View some credit for the win yesterday or is it just a failure on the part of someone in Brahmaland that DBar lost?

Lest we forget, this year’s Ocean View squad is not very far removed from the one that whipped some very good teams last year, (Gahr, Bell Gardens, Beckman), on the way to beating Bonita 2-1 in the finals. The pitching, O V that is, may actually be a little better this year, than it was last.

• can’t agree with you Don

Don
    OV is weak this year, finishes 3rd in a weak league. I thought DB could use Omana to finish them, but coach choses Mathews instead. Actually Omana is doing very well this year, his fastball can easily touch 90, compare to Mathews, it seems like Kenny’s got a tired arm, Kenny gave up a lot of hits late in the game this year and his 5-5 record is not impressive at all.

Too bad coach didn’t look at this “best high school sports blog”, otherwise things could be different.

• Concern DB Parent

Based on all these BLOG’s there are problems in DB. I’ve seen some of the games first hand and I can attest to the fact that the team underachieved. But lets not blame everything on the Coach. I agree that the buck stops at the Coach but there are some underlining circumstances that exist.

1. The Varsity Coach cannot run a program by himself. When the School can’t afford to give him $$ to hire some good coaches we will never have any continuity throughout the program. We talk about KMAT being pulled for a closer, We’ll if they had a pitching coach to confine in maybe it would have been an easier decision.
    2. No Coaching on the lower level teams! This leads to too many stupid mistakes on the Varsity level.
    3. Lack of Team Leadership. Hey Dads and Moms, how about talking to your sons to step up and take a leadership role. Peer pressure from the Seniors build character!
    3. Coach, step up and tell the AD and the District what you need and get it or quit. Another year like this will ruin your true love of the game!
    4. Parents, Step Up!! Help out and support this team. Open the snack shack and help raise money for the program. Do you know why those OC Schools always do well, They raise funds!! Give the Coach the tools he needs to be successful. Then and only then can you hold him accountable for the success or failure of the team.

Good programs start and end with full participation from the School, Teachers, Coaches, Students and Parents!

• player

Give it a rest already!!!!
    People it’s obvious Kenny Mathews had a run and is done with high school baseball. Yes he won many games and WAS probably one of the best in the SGV. With a 5 and 5 record this year and a tired arm? or not?. Open your eyes folks but there were better pitchers in the valley with undefeated seasons under their belts including Mathews teammate Omana who was 6 and 0. This year four pitchers were better than Mathews. Bonita’s Garza beat Mathews twice, Los Altos beat him and two OC team pitchers beat Mathews. The NEW best pitcher in the in the valley is Garza currently 11 and 0. There are still lots of teams in the CIF tournament lets forget about DB already and focus on the teams still in it.

• Jackboy

High school baseball coaches; think about it, they give their time for your kids for practically nothing, they put up with pushy spoiled brat kids with a sense of entitlement, gee, I wonder where the get that from? They fund raise, organize games, mentor your boys in those tough teenage years, deal with grade issues, get tutors to help them through tough classes and try to get your boys into a good college, talk to recruiters on your kids behalf and maybe even a pro baseball scout. All while dealing with wonderful people like you!
    Dons right, Give at least a little credit to last years CIF championship team Ocean View. Sometimes you just dont have a very good team, it happens.
    My opinion is; youre lucky to have a coach period, with the way you Diamond Bar folks whine and cry.
    Love of the game in Diamond Bar?
    Thank you coach Knott.
    Go Bearcats!

• Hey Dad!!

Pitchers are the for front, but give credit to the bearcats team, lil garza can’t do it alone. that attitude of me me me won’t go far ask DB. your kid is good, be happy and stop treating this blog like he’s running for office.

• 64342

Quiet as a mouse. It must be playoff time Amat sounds nervous!

• TGee

Rumor ALLERT 6 are going going gone
    Two DB’s pitchers, DH, catcher and two others will leave soon.
    I told yah so, One and done for DB.

• ?

DBar should be ashamed of themselves, the way this whole situation played out. That a tru rumor TGee? Sad to see kids transfer for this reason.

• Diamond Bar needs a baseball Coach

Diamond Bar’s Coaches said:

**Lucky to have Coach Knott**

• When will Shibley be held accountable?

Mathews will be just fine, with his full ride to Cal State Fullerton. The problem with the Coach at Diamond Bar will remain. It’s not a surprise players are leaving Dbar. These post’s about Dbar parents whining? This is frustration for the past 3 years, it’s getter worse NOT better. Bonita, Damien, South Hills, etc… would NOT tolerate a Coach like this, and his lack of coaching skills. The complaints about this Coach is nothing new, but when you have a AD that makes every excuse in the book for him, instead of dealing with the concerns our hands are tied!

• FredJ

Every coach in the area I’ve spoken with thinks Shibley is a very good coach and Diamond Bar AD Kurt Davies is hands on and does a wonderful job, I love dealing with him. There are two posters who continually go after the DB coach, which are probably disgruntled parents, what else is new. I wouldn’t put much stock in all the Shibley bashing, I know it’s only a couple people because of the IP addresses. Once you made your point, move on.