Glendora’s Quinsey won’t show his hand with season opener against Charter Oak looming

“We have one week to have an advantage on somebody like this without having any film (of us) exist. Hopefully, Charter Oak hasn’t found anything from the Northview years. (Charter Oak defensive coordinator) Roger Lehigh does a great job and he’s a big proponent of having film, so when he doesn’t have any film he gets frustrated. After next week, everybody will know what we’re going to do, but they (Charter Oak) don’t need any help.” Glendora football coach Todd Quinsey

As the Glendora High School football team’s Mayor’s Trophy game with Charter Oak nears, new Tartans coach Todd Quinsey is giving nothing away about his team the Chargers can plan for. Most area teams with Week 0 games scrimmage Friday night, but the Tartans will be sitting at home. And that’s just how Quinsey wants it.

“We have one week to have an advantage on somebody like this without having any film (of us) exist,” Quinsey said. “Hopefully, Charter Oak hasn’t found anything from the Northview years.

“(Charter Oak defensive coordinator) Roger Lehigh does a great job and he’s a big proponent of having film, so when he doesn’t have any film he gets frustrated. After next week, everybody will know what we’re going to do, but they (Charter Oak) don’t need any help.”

The Tartans visit Charter Oak on Sept. 2 at 7 p.m.

Quinsey’s last local head coaching job in the area came at his alma mater, Northview. He had a successful run there, but so much time has passed since his last season in 2006 game film of the Vikings under Quinsey’s watch is hard to come by.

Meanwhile, Charter Oak will be scrimmaging against Chino and Quinsey said nobody should be surprised to see an interested Tartans onlooker or two in Cowboy country.

Adding intrigue to the Mayor’s Trophy game is the fact Quinsey spent last season as an assistant to Chargers head coach Lou Farrar. When Quinsey got the job at Glendora, he hired fellow Charter Oak assistant Roger Armijo to be his defensive coordinator.

Quinsey and Armijo have pretty intimate knowledge of Charter Oak’s talent and schemes, but the same can’t be said for the Chargers coaching staff, which has only Quinsey’s tactics at Northview several seasons ago to study.

“I don’t think there’s an advantage either way,” Quinsey said. “Armijo knows those kids pretty well, but Dom (Chargers offensive coordinator Dominic Farrar) does a great job with what they want to do.

“It’s no secret what they want to do. Travis (Santiago) is probably going to throw the ball 30-40 times a game and I would too if I had him.

“He’s the best quarterback in the Valley, I think, by far. No matter what you do, you can’t stop him.”

Quinsey’s variation of the Wing-T offense may take some time for the Tartans to get used to. But getting the team in pads has been much more helpful than summer passing games. Quinsey said the Tartans are concentrating on trying to be good at a few things rather than average at everything.

Quarterback Kyle Kianpour officially has been named the starter. Running backs Corey Victoria and Donovan Holmes should see heavy action and coaches are pleased with how fullback Sklyer Crall has looked doing the inside running.

Someone else to keep an eye on is receiver Charles Johnson, who may be one of the area’s fastest players.

• reality

Coach Paranoia is quite simply over-reacting. You can still scrimmage and not show your complete hand. It’s far more important to film how your team reacts against real opposition so you can coach them up. Going against your own mates can only tell you so much and besides their going to have film on you after game 1 anyway unless your season is only 1 game. Get your team out there young man they need to get punched in the mouth a bit by the enemy to see whe does and who does’nt blink. In these scrimmages when you look close you can see who is fools gold and who might be diamonds.

• GHS Parent

This is simply an inexpereienced coach and staff trying to find there way. From my stand point this staff is completely over whelmed. For god sake the have a JAA LB coach who is completely out and a DC who just lets it happen. They have more to worry about than CO watching film on a scrimage.

• GHS Realist

GHS Parent,

The new coaching staff at Glendora HS has MANY years of varsity coaching experience. I would be curious to know what you think “experienced” means. I was shocked such a well known coach like Quinsey took the job in the first place. I think the Glendora faithful need to understand that Glendora HS football isn’t what it used to be. You play in a league way over your head, one you can’t win in, you don’t have the athletes/size/speed to compete with the schools east of you. The problem in Glendora isn’t the coaches, it’s the expectations that the parents put on great coaches to win when the deck is stacked against you. You stick your noses up in the air like you are elite. Face the facts, you may all live in nice homes and make great salaries, but your football teams just aren’t going to hack it in the Baseline.

• game time for CO

Heads up: CO at Chino Friday at 7pm

• Outside Looking In

GHS Realist,
    We didn’t ask to be in this league so stop spouting like we did.
    As for the homes we live in, if you had a college degree and had a good paying job wouldn’t you be living in a nice home ?
    But I will agree with you on the comment “You stick your noses up in the air like you are elite.” Yea, there is way to much of that going on !

• Love Reality

I agree wholeheartedly. You have to see who likes the taste of blood when someone wearing a different color jersey busts you in the mouth or punches you in the nose.

I have one question for the blogosphere:

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!!!!!!!