Saturday Morning Quarterback: A long, long night for Bishop Amat and West Covina while Charter Oak pulls out a fourth-quarter thriller, 35-28

Bishop Amat has plenty of time to figure out what it takes to compete with the Southland’s best — the Serra League is a month away and playoffs don’t start until November. But powerful Servite, the CIF-Southern Section’s two-time defending Pac-5 Division champs and current number one showed third-ranked Amat it still has a long way to go in Friday’s 49-14 victory at Cerritos College.
Repeat, a long way to go. (to continue click thread)

ARAM’S POSTGAME SHOW REWIND, CHECK IT OUT..

Friday’s results
Servite 49, Bishop Amat 14 – No need sugar-coating it, you’ve heard of bigger, stronger, faster … well add better too. Amat’s defense looked like it has a long way to go, Servite moved in big chunks from start to finish.
Loyola 35, West Covina 7 — The Bulldogs fell behind quick and never recovered, but something tells me they will be fine once the Hacienda rolls around.
Damien 13, Diamond Ranch 6 — More important to Gano than Layton, though it wasn’t the fist-pumping result Spartans fans were hoping for. Still, a good win.
Charter Oak 35, Roosevelt 28 – Thank goodness the Trib’s number one pulled it out in the fourth quarter, otherwise it would have been a real dark night in the SGV.
Covina 42, Gladstone 0 – Absolutely no lingering effects from last week’s heart-wrenching 26-20 overtime loss to West Covina.
South Hills 61, St. Monica 0 – Are you paying attention to this? The Huskies follow with West Covina and Monrovia, and yes, I think they have a great shot in both.
Arroyo 48, Temple City 21 — Always a heated rivalry, and you have to love how the Knights have scored points in their first two wins.
Diamond Bar 40, Wilson 13 — Brahmas shake off last week’s disappointment with a solid win over the Cats.
California 41, Rowland 14 – The Raiders aren’t what they use to be, but then again, the Condors are pretty good.
Lancaster 9, Baldwin Park 7 – Could be a long, long year for the Braves, falling to 0-2 after another tough loss.
Mountain View 41, Bassett 12 — The Vikings were expected to win, but the offense is much better than expected.
Troy 35, Walnut 14 – In previous years the Mustangs may have had a shot, but not this year, and not on the road.
El Rancho 13, Northview 10 — That’s two tough losses for the Vikings in back-to-back weeks.
Nogales 36, Jurupa Hills 14 — The Nobles get in the win column, much needed to get their confidence going.
Claremont 18, Bonita 15 — The Wolfpack returned the favor after Bonita’s surprising win over them last year.
Pomona 28, Chino 24 -- The Red Devils could be the sleeper in the Valle Vista that Covina and San Dimas worry about.
Chino Hills 28, Santiago 16 – Remember, the Huskies are the Sierra League champs till someone knocks them off.
Montebello 20, Rosemead 9 — Tough loss for Koffler and the boys.
Los Altos 27, Bellflower 0 — Are you kidding me, great to see teams like Los Altos and Duarte rebound they way they have the first two weeks.
South El Monte 40, Ganesha 7 — The Lions took care of the Giants easier than most expected.
Workman 13, Keppel 2 — Nice start for the Lobos, now lets see if they can keep it going.

Highlights and postgame interviews from Amat-Servite with the Inland Insider, Tom Kiss and staff…

Postgame interviews with West Covina with Tyler Drohen

The Friars dominated in every way imaginable, running and throwing for big chunks at a time, almost scoring at will, and answering quick after Amat’s lone two scores.
Servite quarterback Cody Pittman threw for 136 yards and two touchdowns, and also scored on a 16-yard run. And Friars backs Charlie Etiaki rushed for 119 yards and Andrew Moore ran for 81, and they each did it on only nine carries apiece.
It grew so bad the final minutes ended on a running clock, part of CIF’s new rule after a team has a 35-point lead in the second half.
“It feels bad now, but come Monday we’ll get back to work,” Amat coach Steve Hagerty said. “This isn’t fatal, it’s not the end of the season or the year. We played a good football team. We’re going to be good, but we got a long way to go. We still believe in our kids, our program, but tonight is a good example of where we’re not quite where we need to be.”
Amat quarterback Rio Ruiz threw for 116 yards and a touchdown, but also threw two picks. Running back Jalen Moore struggled to get going, finishing with 73 yards, scoring on a 12-yard run in the third quarter.
“I don’t think there’s one more disappointing thing than the other, it’s equally disappointing,” Hagerty said of the loss. “They’re better up front than we’re. Even if it’s on the humiliation side of things, we’re playing a quality team and the CIF champions and that’s why they’re good, and that’s why we have to to expose ourselves to it. It’s risky, but hopefully it’s worthwhile in the end.”
Servite marched on its first series, doing practically anything it wanted, scoring on Pittman’s seven-yard touchdown pass to Etiaki for a 7-0 lead just four minutes into the game.
Things got worse quick.
After Ruiz rushed for a first down on the ensuing series, his first-down pass attempt was tipped and Servite’s Sean DeRosa grabbed it and returned to the Amat 26.
The Friars marched straight past the Lancers’ defense again, DeRosa plowing his way from three yards for a 14-0 lead with 5:41 left in the opening quarter.
The Lancers finally caught a break when Servite fumbled a punt to end the first quarter, Amat’s D.J. Daniels coming up with it on the Friars’ 29.
It looked like the Lancers would come up empty again after Ruiz was sacked on third down, setting up fourth-and-12, but the Lancers went for it, Ruiz connecting on a beautiful pass over the middle that Adam Sanchez dove to bring down in the back of the endzone to cut the Friars’ lead in half, 14-17 with 10:09 until halftime.
All that did was seem to upset Servite, who marched 67 yards on just three plays, scoring on Moore’s three-yard touchdown to go back up, 21-7 with 9:16 left until half.
Amat tried cutting the lead in half again, driving to the Friars’ 11, but they got backed up and Ruiz threw an interception on fourth and goal from the 17.
The Friars took advantage, marching 87 yards on just eight plays, finishing with Etiaki’s untouched 19-yard touchdown run up the right side, extending the Friars’ lead to 28-7.
Amat cut it to 28-14 early in the third, but the Friars closed the quarter with 14 points to stretch it to 42-14
“I think offensively we have a veteran team and they played like a veteran team,” Servite coach Troy Thomas said. “There was a challenge thrown out to the offense and they responded to it tonight.”

fred.robledo@sgvn.com
twitter.com/SGVTribPreps
626-962-8811, ext. 2161

Box Score
Bis Amat 0 7 7 0 — 14
Servite 14 14 14 7 — 49
Scoring Summary
SE: Charlie Etiaki 7 pass from Codi Pittman (Conner Bevans kick).
SE: Sean DeRosa 3 run (Bevans kick)
BA: Adam Sanchez 31 yard pass from Rio Ruiz (Alex Gutierrez kick)
SE: Andrew Moore 10 run (Bevans kick)
SE: Etiaki 19 run (Bevans kick)
BA: Jalen Moore 12 run (Gutierrez kick)
SE: Sam Hunt 51 pass from Pittman (Bevans kick)
SE: Pittman 16 run (Bevans kick)
SE: Andrew Zammaron 3 run (Bevans kick)

FOR QUARTER-BY-QUARTER UPDATES of tonight’s games, click link

COVERITLIVE: Join “Mike the Cousin” during our live chat of Bishop Amat vs. Servite at 7:30 p.m, as well as updates from other area teams.

• New York

Good luck to all three schools, and kudos for scheduling tough opponents like these.

Charter Oak playing Roosevelt is the least daunting, because both teams are in the same division and Charter Oak is presumably at or near the top of their league while Roosevelt is toward the bottom of their league.

Under Coach Haggerty, Bishop Amat has killed a few giants, although Servite is the biggest giant they have played thus far.

WestCo probably wishes they had Solomon…who wouldn’t? Playing step up games is nothing new to WestCo, but they have not really won those games in the past. The real question: is WestCo on par with Mira Costa, a team who lost to Loyola by just a couple TDs.

• Thor

NY, Roosevelt is ranked 6th and CO is 10 in the inland and last time I checked BA and Servite are also in their same division.

• New York

Thor,
    That is true. I’m not sure we are disagreeing…unless you tell me where we are.

While in the same division as Amat, Servite has been performing at a level where Amat was in 1992-94…near the top of the Nation.

• tylerpill

hey frd it looks like the starting QB at bonita is out for 2 weeks with back problems and also there 2 linemen on the offense will be out too. could be a rough going for bonita tonight at claremont. i guess yesterday he complained to podley that his back is bothering him and says he cant play for 2 weeks. people at bonita are very upset about the news.

• RCFOOTBALL

New York, You are confused on Roosevelt they are ranked ahead of Charter Oak and are picked 2nd or 3rd in their league behind Centenial and Norco. Not even close to bottom. Unfortunately for Roosevelt they have 3 starters on offense not playing tonight, QB,RB and O-line. They still have some very good talent, but I think they are going to have a hard time moving the ball. Could be a good defensive battle..

Bishop Amat make sure and take your whoopin like men, because you are going to get whooped up on tonight. Garfield lost again 27 to 7, Amat faithful was trying to make that a big win. Servite 30 Amat 7..

• SGV

RCFOOTBALL-Edison is no slouch…when’s the last time you guys(RC)played Edison? When is the last time that you guys played and beat a Pac 5 team…….? How many wins does big bad RC football have over Pac 5 opponents? Shhhhhhhhhhh! Keep quiet lest your glass house come tumbling down.

• P-town

Red Devils looked good all week at practice, even though they were shortened to let starters rest. A big upset is on tonight’s Menu. Cowboy Up??? Not likely,,the Devils will put a (pitch) fork in them.

• just sayin’

SGV – who was the last Pac5 team RC played. They remember the two butt-whuppins they took from Amat in Amat’s two worst consecutive years in history and haven’t gone back since!

• Can you say SERVITE SWEEP:

JV – SERVITE 55 Amat 0
    Freshman – SERVITE 49 Amat 7

• Unreal…

Servite is great but they are not the unstoppable force the Hype Machine (Media) has tunred them into. They are still just high school kids. Go out and play hard and the rest will fall in place.

Amat will play hard and this will be a close game with an Amat victory.

Good luck to West Covina. I would love to see you beat Loyola and I think you have a shot. You would have a better shot with Solomon but West Covina has some of the best coaching in the SGV and they will keep you in it.

Good luck to all the other SGV schools.

Go AMAT!!!!!!!

• Be safe

If in fact kid at Bohi is hurting, better to yest now and get ready for league. He has many more games to play at Bonita. Varsity is a big physicial step up for a young kid, and I would trend lightly.. His health is more important right now than any pre-season game.

• RCFOOTBALL

SGV and just sayin,

I am not on here saying how great we are all the time. I am sure if you look far enough back into any teams past you will find a losing streak. When RC played them back there we were down a little also. So stop going back to the past looking for the losses we all have had them.. I am only worried about this year and we have one hell of a team.

I graduated from Edison and played on those early 80′s teams and won rings. Who cares that was 30 years ago. Does that count for this year, I believe not..Just like last year does not count for this year. High School teams change a great deal from year to year.

I am just saying you Amat guys think you are way better than you are and you will take a beat down tonight. You get kids from all over the place, including rancho cucamonga. You should be at the top, but you are not.

I looked up the last two games against Amat. 2006 Amat 27 Rc 17 that team was 5-5.. Amat 5-5
    2007 Amat 23 Rc 7 that team was 4-6.. Amat3-7 Wow you guys are great..hahahaha!!!!!
    wow those are butt whuppins???
    What will tonight be when Servite beats you 30 or 40 to 7?? What will you call that…

• reality

To start missing games with a sore anything is not a good sign. Everything is sore after a game. And to wait for the day before a game is untimely indeed. Bonita has always had the charge of being soft but has answered that charge absolutly in the past 2 years with guys like Huth, Piccota, Salce etc.. I fully expect that their subs will man-up and fill in for the sore dudes admirably. I expect no fall-off or excuses from the bearcats.

• responding to Servite Sweep

Wow, if those scores are official, then Amat’s got something going for them the next couple years. Most likely, Amat will get manhandled the first half. Servite will ease up the second half and make it a closer game than the final score indicates.
    Servite 34
    Amat 6

West Covina needs Solomon tonight more than any other week this season. Loyola always has a few D1 commits and West Covina’s defense sputtered against Covina.
    West Covina 14
    Loyola 28

• SGV

Whoa, whoa, whoa rcfootball!!! Take it easy bud. The question was, when was the last time rc played Edison? If it was never just say so. Don’t get all defensive and start attacking Amat, Amat had nothing to do with this. If AMAT gets whupped, I’m sure they will man upo and say so. Eitherway that’s not for you to worry about. Nobody asked or cares where you played football either, YOU brought it up. As a matter of fact, You brought AMAT up by insinuating that “the Faithful” were trying to say Garfield was a big win (I don’t recall anyone saying it was a BIG win) It was however a “W”. You were trying to say that Edison Blew Garfield out and they weren’t that tough etc, etc…
    NOW…Since you jumped in the Kool-aid all the way from the I.E. it was asked….When was the last time you guys (Rancho Cucamonga Panthers) played Edison? When was the last time you played and BEAT any Pac 5 team. Pretty simple right? No need to go all ape crap on AMAT, recruiting, thiking their so good, barely beating “down” rc teams (and you’re wrong about those rc teams because they had some players). Why don’t you MAN UP and aswer the questions and move on. You spoke out of turn and it’s ok, You may live. Just have the Gnads to do as others do before you start slinging mudd at other programs….Mr. rcfootball.

• Joe Amat

Edison is a GREAT program. They have not won a championship game since NINETEEN-EIGHTY. That doesn’t make them any less of a great program. And they’ve had a couple 2-8s/3-7s since then too.

Servite is a GREAT program. They went TWENTY-FIVE years between titles – and were a great program the entire time. No one in the SGV would dispute that…much less step up and schedule them.

Lakewood is a GREAT program and they’ve NEVER won. EVER.

Amat has competed in the highest level for over 40 yrs and has won their share of titles. Whenever a releaguing cycle has come along. Amat has made it CLEAR that they wish to stay in the highest division of competition. To the point of forcing others in their league to step up with them … against their wishes. They WANT to play in games like these.

Different than those schools who argue against a move up, appeal when they do, and then whine about it after it’s done. Amat argues to stay at the top. And wins.

That is why you go to schools like these. To have a chance to play in a big-game in front of a packed house… in a game that you have a chance to win, but understanding that if you don’t play your VERY best that night – you could lose.

It’s clear that many here have never *felt* that feeling and don’t understand how special that really is. Knowing that every play relies on your BEST. No… not the best you’re used to giving. Your very BEST! I’m confident that Amat will bring it tonight. They better. because they know the Friars will. Amat will be looking to tie the all-time series with 16 wins apiece.

Amat has a proud, historic tradition and that tradition has returned. The coaches have played in those games, coached in those games, and will have the guys ready to go… as they have in recent wins vs schools like OLu, St Bonaventure, St Francis, Mater Dei, Chaminade, Alemany, the locals who have stepped up and taken a crack, as well league schools Crespi, Notre Dame, Loyola. The Lancers have been ready.

But they even showed they were ready to compete with the #1 team in the country when they took on Long Beach Poly in the playoffs, and took them to the wire in a loss. There is no shame in that. These games are nothing new, and it’s good to know the program is in good hands. Makes my Fridays a little less stressful.

Good luck to all.

• RCFOOTBALL

Sgv,

Thank you, for answering my question. I never blew up or got out of hand. There was no question about playing Edison or me saying they blew them out, I just put the score down that is it. A ‘w’ is a ‘w’ no matter what the score, you are right about that. I also said nothing about recruiting, I just said a lot of kids at Amat are from other cities. The beauty of a private school.

RC did have a few players back then, but no coaching and the first year of a new coach. Takes more than a couple players to win football games.

I am not slinging mudd at the program, just some of the writers and supporters.

Rancho Cucamonga Cougars, son…

I know you do not care for my opinion, and I am not worried at all about your program. I could care less if you win or lose. On saturday after the kleenex, please let me know how your game went. Thank you..

• SGV

rcfootball-Tell you what check back here after the game and I’nm sure ESPN RISE, The LA Times, MAX Preps or someone else will have an article or two on the game BUT one thing is for sure…it won’t be in the local RAG that covers panther/cougar football. The panther/cougar score will be front page news…right under the tractor pull results and the article on the Quakes and thw Reign.

• New York

RCFootball,
    That’s fair. Roosevelt is probably #3, when healthy, in a very tough league, but Charter Oak is suppose to contend for #1 in the Sierra, right? So it really should not be as big of a stretch (the only point I wanted to make) playing a team ranked slightly higher, but NOT #1, in the same division.

Yes, I know that right now Servite is ranked in the Pac-5 only slightly higher than Amat. But they are bound by that #1 ranking. Meaning, if they could go higher than #1 they would. HOWEVER, Amat has taken down big teams before so why have so little faith now?

• curious

Does any1 know if the Servite vs Bishop Amat will be televised tonight?

• http://reality reality

BTW, Thanks David Rivera, as soon as your son tells you anything you will post it on the blog even if it helps the other team.

• RCFOOTBALL

SGV, Funny how you go to the tractor pull blog, that is exactly what I read when you guys talk about Norco. You say something about insults and u pull all that. Then you pull the panther/cougar humor, that is so funny how clever you are.. Just to let you know Espn rise covers our team weekly dropping a story about us each week. The local so called rag is the Daily Bulletin, they only cover Los Osos and nobody else. Then the only reason you will be on espn/max preps or whatever else is because of Servite not the Amat dancers.. Amat players good luck on the season.

SGV you should try attending the tractor pulls they are a lot of fun..They are going on in The Los angeles count fair in Pomona..wait that is in the SGV..hahahaha!!!!!1

• FWIW

FR WC 55 Covina 28
    FR WC 14 Loyola 28

JV WC 37 Covina 7
    JV WC 38 Loyola 22

FWIW I think WC plays them tough into the 4th qtr and has a chance to win it. Whether they do or not is up to them. Bottom line, these first 2 games will make WC a much better team later.

• RCFOOTBALL

My apologies, I had a typo in my last. I meant to type Amat Lancers. That was an accident. I will not stoop to SGV’s level and make fun of the team name of another high school.

• AMAT 73

RC FOOTBALL,
    First off no one is making the Garfield win a big win. It was a win period. The knock was by haters that we didn’t mop the field with them . They didn’t score we did twice so we won , plain and simple. Tonight we face Servite. The team will be ready as always . No fear of the Friars because we belong on the field as much as they do . Win or lose there will be no need for kleenex as you put it. We have played plenty of big games and won some and loss some but never have shed a tear unless it’s for a championship which is understandable. Don’t even know why you are on here foaming at the mouth because when the discussion of Inland or IE football is the subject RC is nowhere to be found .Funny how you have to jump on the Servite bandwagon so you can bring your hate on AMAT . The reason being is because your Cougars can’t back your trash up when facing the LANCERS so you need someone else to help you out. AMAT is what it is which is a damn good football program who will play any team anytime .
    To the Men in Blue , stay focused, do the work , play together . Play all 4 quarters hard and tough and everything else will take of itself. AMAT WILL SHINE .

• Aaron

Fred how often do I have to tell you…the Leland Chargers lost that game…ergo do not use this speech.

• Extra Extra!

FoxSportsWest Article featuring Rio Ruiz and Bishop Amat Football!!!

http://www.foxsportswest.com/09/09/11/Amat-ready-to-prove-themselves/landing_highschool.html?blockID=561992&feedID=7972

This is why you play football at Bishop Amat!!!

• RCFOOTBALL

Amat 73,
    Slow down the kleenex was only for SGV and nobody else. So relax, I would never bash Amat they are a very good program. You guys are so sensitive….I am not so called foaming at the mouth, and for your information Rancho is one of the top teams in the IE, by many the team that can possibly beat Centenial(maybe). I am not on any band wagons my buddy’s son is a linebacker there and I have seen them play, they are really good. You guys always go back to the past about everything. Stay in the present and enjoy…

• Steve Ramirez

Fred, if you are going to use any speech clip for Amat’s monumental challenge tonight, it’s the Herb Brooks (Kurt Russell) speech from ‘Miracle.’ True, it’s hockey, but it meets all the requirements of an underdog trying to accomplish the near-impossible. “Great moments are born from great oppoturnity, and that’s what you have here tonight…”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvJ4fqaYFq0

• AMAT FOOTBALL TELEVISED!!!

TELEVISED ONLINE BROADCASTS OF BIG BOY FOOTBALL CAN BE SEEN HERE:

http://www.foxsportswest.com/pages/high_school

Games on channel are as follows:

BISHOP AMAT VS. SERVITE!!!!!!
    St. Bonaventure vs. Corona Centennial
    Santa Margarita vs. Tesoro
    St. John Bosco vs. Lakewood

WATCH THE GAME AND CHAT ABOUT IT LIVE VIA COVERITLIVE WITH MIKE!!!

THIS IS WHY YOU WANT TO PLAY FOOTBALL AT BISHOP AMAT!!!

GO GET EM, LANCERS!!!!

• John

Curious one,

Amat vs. Servite will be televised on http://www.foxsportswest.com

Although I do admit, it’ll probably not be much of a game after the second quarter.

• Question

Is it true that Corona Roosevelt will be without their starting QB and RB?!?!?!?!?

• Joe Amat

Just for kicks n giggles, check out the comments from some of these blogs. They sound pretty familiar.. and from some of the same cast of characters – maybe even some with different names! Same old story – lets see how things play out.

***Saturday Morning Quarterback: Amat wins stunner
    http://www.insidesocal.com/tribpreps/2008/09/saturday-mornin-3.html#comments

***Tribskin Pick’em, your predictions and ours: Bishop Amat a 24-point underdog at home
    http://www.insidesocal.com/tribpreps/2009/09/robledo-last-we.html#comments

***Tribune Super 35: Bishop Amat No. 1 and No. 3 in Pac-5, but for how long as Serra begins
    http://www.insidesocal.com/tribpreps/2010/10/tribune-super-3-2.html#comments

• Sierra League Fan

“Question said:
    Is it true that Corona Roosevelt will be without their starting QB and RB?!?!?!?!?”

I know their QB Aarone Crone is out for a couple of weeks with a shoulder injury suffered in their scrimmage. I cannot confirm that their RB is out. Crone is a stud….their main, and in many people’s opinion only, weapon on offense. With all of the hype I am hearing about Charter Oak and them being #1 in the SGV, they should have no problem with Roosevelt ( although it is a step up from 2-9 Gardena that they played last year)

• http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvfootball Aram

PREPXTRA POSTGAME SHOW TONIGHT!!!

AFTER THE GAMES on any of the blogs.

You better be watching!

• Dan

Good Luck West Covina, Amat, and Charter Oak, win or lose, hope all represent well tonight.

• Sierra Fan

Good luck to all the teams tonight. And best of luck to Damien in there opener.
    Go Sparta!

• Frank

Want to wish all the SGV teams good luck tonight. Looking forward to the Amat-Servite game. Amat needs to make a big statement tonight! This is defintily a measuring stick. Wesco good luck to you guys as well. Prove you can hang with a pac-5 team
    also got to give a shout out to Duarte, congratulations on back to back wins, way to start getting that progam back on track, watch out Azusa.

• COChargerfan

Joe, correction on Edisons last titleit was in 1985 as a co-champ with LB Poly (14-14 tie). Of course, the title was in the Big-Five Division and not the Pac-5 because the later didnt come into existence until 2006.

Which brings us to the question of exactly what does it mean to have never played or beat a Pac-5 team? Does that only include teams that are currently in the Pac-5, were once upon a time in the Pac-5 (after last years re-leaguing) or if the game happened before the team went into the Pac-5, say in 2000, would that count? Just wondering.

Something else Id like to get off my chest is that prior to 1977 there were only 2 Divisions, an Upper and Lower. And, while Bishop Amat won Upper Division titles in 1970 and 1971 (a la Pat Haden), it is also true that Los Altos won in 1973 and 1976 and South Hills in 1974. Thats right, both Los Altos and South Hills won titles when in the same Division with Amat. And then Los Altos won the 1977 title in the Big-5. This fine tradition of two other SGV schools seems to be lost on some of the Amat fans that are constantly reminding everyone about their tradition but at the same time bagging on South HillsI read the crap calling them a D9 Champ. Well in 1974 they were the BIG CHEESE so cant some of you guys give them a little respect?

Well Joe, times do change and some schools arent what they used to beeven in the short termso its not exactly whining to point out such things as the unfairness of little CO having to take on schools twice their size. Isnt that what you are making light of? Come on, how fun is it to get beat in the first round every year? Or, was it more fun to win a D5 baseball title? Considering that many years ago your baseball team accepted the move out of D1, Id say Amats administrators chose the latteras has all the rest of your sports programs that compete much below the D1 level.

Good luck tonight.

• Colt74

Good luck to all area teams tonight. Will check in while at Citrus and be cheering you all on in spirit.

“Belief in yourself is 50% of the battle. The other 50% comes from belief in your teammates.”

• Joe Amat

COChargerfan,

Good to see you back. However – read EXACTLY what I wrote and you can retract the first correction. “…They have not won a championship game since NINETEEN-EIGHTY…” True statement.

Second, I am also very careful to talk about “competing at the highest level”. I, and many others, have given those legendary Jones/DeSpain teams plenty of credit for doing so… as well as the old West Covina Spartans.

We are VERY familiar with taking on schools “schools twice their size”. Sometimes 3xs our size of 1300 or so boys and girls.

And finally, no one has ever “chosen” the latter. Amat fought tooth and nail to stay in the league during the Orange County Nepotism Act of 2006. B That is quite different than fighting a move up so you could stay in a lower division – wouldn’t you say? osco was chosen as a better fit because of it’s proximity to the 91 and ease of transportation – closer to Servite than any other school. When that didn’t happen us and Loyola were “banished” and the Camino Del Rey Association was formed, Amat had to compete in league and the playoffs in the division of which you speak.

I’m sure even YOU can appreciate the preseason schedule that Amat constructs each and every year in baseball to make certain even though we are in a different division, we have an opportunity to compete “against teams at the highest level” Clearly that was recognized by our ranking last year. THAT we have a CHOICE to do. That can’t be said for everyones preseason choices now, can it?

• NINEteen95

.
    Turn out the Lights…The Party’s over!

That is long way to go to get your a$$ handed to you. Where is it?

Cerritos?

On the 605 Fwy, on a Friday afternoon? It’ll be 21 – 0 by the time AMAT73, JoeAmat and the rest of the clan gets there.

Not In 2011 Either

• NINEteen95

Hey Amat73, why so say?

Look at that OLine from Servite. Wow, they’re big! How’s your defense gonna stop that?

Joe Amat

Blah, blah, blah…

The Greeks called to say they were great once, too!

Take a page from RCFootball and live in the present. Oh, my bad! You’re gonna get your a$$ handed to you by Servite in the present.

Oh well…It is what it is. A one sided butt wuppin’

I’m gonna enjoy this one…BTW, nice stadium!

Glad I got here early to see this one sided affair! LMAO!

• football jones

AMAT vs Servite

BA usually performs well in big games.

I take them in an upset tonight.

Go SGV Football !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mike the Clone

Greetings…..

I Am Mike the Clone and You are NOT!!

Hey NINEteen95 don’t you dare disrepect one of the originals of this blog, Joe Amat, you little “CHRIS”

Joe has more knowledge about high school football and Bishop Amat than any other Amat Honk on here.

So take a chill pill junior your lips on that pie hole of yours are flapping like a clowns red lips at a church fiesta corn on the cobb!!

GOOD NIGHT NOW!!!

Mike the Clone

• Mike the Clone

Greetings….

I Am Mike the Clone and You are NOT!!

GOOD NIGHT NOW!!!

• http://rgd2626 rgd2626

Mike the clone.
    your an ass, stay away!!!

• Colt74

Pomona beats Chino 28-24! Conrats and good job to P-town!

• jcaz

Long night for Amat this evening….

• Amat Bully

CO is VICTORIOUS YET AGAIN.

• Hummm

Jesus Christ what the hell was that I just heard!

• Heard It Too!

Oh never mind that was “rgd2626″ taking a lesson from Mikey! Welcome to the club RGD!

• Panther Fan

Damien ESCAPES with a win. DR TD in first qtr called back by holding penalty. DR 4th down pass from Damien 5 yrd line ruled incomplete in end zone with 31 seconds remaining at end of 4th qtr. Good Game.

• All I can say is OUCH!

Boy Amat was sent back to the stone age by Servite. Amat got a reality check tonight and learned another important fundamental lesson that poor execution and mental breakdowns cannot be afforded against a team of this caliber. There was some embarrassing coaching breakdowns as well, delay of games, players looking confused and out of position, costly penalties……late hits, offsides etc.

Hopefully, these boys and coaches can regroup and continue to make the SGV proud again! It was definitely a humble defeat, now you know where you stand with the big boys of the PAC5 Hags.

• oldschool

Servite showed why the OC is superior than the SGV .mission viejo,Servite and santa margarita are just another level.I see Amat coming back and winning every game to lose in the second round of the playoffs.Servite will dominate the whole year but I think mission viejo will get the win this year in the pac 5 final.Charter Oak will win league but also lose in the second round. west covina will bounce back now that they dont play anymore pac five teams,they have a great chance in repeating this year,weak division. those are my predictions

• Wilson

Must have been the Clone punting RGD2626 to the wolves!

• great for the sgv

Could it be that Garfield’s defense is as good as Servite’s defense? They both held bishops explosive offense to 14pts. bishop nation loses to a great football power!!! Nice in quiet in the bishop nation.Great nite for SGV football. Congrats Damien, CO, Diamond Bar, South Hills and Mountain View. Tough losses for Northview, Baldwin Park- a little harder for West Covina against a tougher opponent. Good luck next week guys!

• Conq’76

LA looked pretty good in their win, a few breakdowns but showed some decent line-play against a bigger opponent and several players contributed offensively.

• Real talk

@Bishop Amat no confidence =no victory until Amat starts to believe in themselves they will struggle. I saw Amat look lost and again on the road not knowing what to do. Who does that fall on? I feel that the players are not buying what coach is selling. I feel Servite is the mike Tyson of the PAC 5 they intimidate teams before they even step on the field. I have to say it was good to see a team like servite play. I think the big difference is coaching.

• Amat Bully

CO = 2-0…..CeeeeeeeeeeOooooooooooo

• JustAnotherAmatFan/Alum/FormerPlayer

The guys buy into Hagerty… He’s the best coach we’ve had since the Salter era.. During the Hagerty era we won a league championship quicker than anyone thought.. and I still believe we are a few years away from bringing a Pac 5 championship.. Rome wasn’t built over night.. Hagerty took over a time that didn’t understand what it meant to wear an “A” on your helmet.. the guys know that now.. and they understand that now.. At the end of the day coaching keeps you in the games.. at least most of the time.. but talent and size go a long way.. I saw a few of the alumni from the “not since 95 team” and even as older men with wives and kids.. they are big guys.. I think bigger than Servite’s current squad… wish I had a program from those late 90s teams to see the size difference.. but it is true.. Amat must get bigger.. and with key talent and size.. it will only be a matter of time.. Congrats to Charter Oak.. and we will never know what a healthy West Covina team could done to this Loyola squad.. but good game anyways.. it will definitely help prep for league..

• Frank

Rough game for Amat, Servite had the strongest and fastest line I’ve ever seen, offense and defensive line. As bad as the score was, there were times when there were glimpses of hope. Amat kept looking like they might come back, but then would screw up with an interception, or turning the ball over. Even after Amat scored they gave a touch down right back. Hopefully Amat will turn this into a positive, and build on it.

• Dan

Arrrgghh! Anybody got some kleenex? In over our heads tonight, no Frazier, no Solomon, no Franklin, no Hornsby, not sure it would have made a difference. Congratulations Charter Oak thats a nice win tonight.

• LA Fan

GO LOS ALTOS!!! Good win keep it going next week

• 12th man

This one got ugly early!! Once again i wasnt impressed with the play calling..I posted earlier that Amat would have to come out throwing & then get the run game going..Did it happen? Well the score speaks for itself..You cant run the ball on one of the premier defenses in the pac5 which have some of the top linebackers in the Nation its just foolish..Amat did expose the secondary a few times, but by then the game had already gotten away from them..Rio did look a bit rusty but at the same time you have to credit the Servite D line which was in Rio’s face all night..”jcaz”..Do you want to tell me again that a championsip type caliber team shouldn’t rely on trick plays lol..Servite started the game with a double pass even though it wasnt completed it shows there mentality & wat there game plan was..Its like Servite was reading my comments on the blogs & ran with the idea..Bottom line there is still alot of football to be played & Amat has alot of adjustments to make when it comes to playing the run defense & applying pressure to the QB..One thing i did notice is that Amat lacks a gamechanger player someone who can take over a game at any time..

• John

Servite was able to do anything they want, especially when they took it the ground. Maybe Amat should have chosen its own poison and force Servite to beat them through the pass. Even though their QB was effective there, it seemed every carry resulted in a first down or 6 points on the board.
    The game was actually competitive until mid 2nd quarter. That broken up pass which resulted in an interception and the interception in the end zone cost Amat big time. I really don’t know how much of a difference it would have made though concerning the freedom Servite was having scoring. There was only one legitimate 3 and out from their offense. Amat only got the ball back from kick offs or the two Servite fumbles.
    There needs to be a better way sending plays to the offense from the sideline. Rio is always running back and forth to Hagerty and these trips cost Amat two delay of game penalties.
    On the positive side, there were plays that showed glimpses of brilliance. That td throw and catch from Rio to Sanchez was on point. Sanchez caught it with three defenders on him. There was also another highlight connection when Rio lobbed it to Sanchez again over three defenders for a 39 yard gain. Jalen Moore was able to break off a couple tackles and score for that 12 yard run. He seemed to gain more yards when the running plays were a sweep toss rather than going straight through a power formation.
    I thought Amat should have used more qb keepers and just run through Rio. These plays seemed to gain the most rushing yards. Rio is an amazing athlete. In one play,Rio literally shook highly touted lb Butch Pauu to the ground and gained 10 more yards.
    The Amat secondary was solid despite what the final score would indicate. The only 3 and out came when Servite was passing. There were only a few big plays through the air compared to the ground. DJ Daniels, I believe, even made a jarring hit on Butch which caused the ball to pop out and recover a fumble.
    Overall, the game was a testament showcasing Servite’s talent more than Amat’s blemishes. Even if Amat didn’t make those costly mistakes previously mentioned, they still would have lost by at least 2 touchdowns. Servite is just ginormous up front and they exploited it every time. Hopefully Amat learns from this game because they look like a very exciting team when they’re hitting on all cylinders.

• EAGLES

Fred,
    The SEM “Eagles” beat the Giants, not the Lions! C’mon Fred how are you going to call the Eagles by their crosstown rivals name?! Eagles win tonight, Lions lose last night.

• tommykiss

Here is a recap of tonights Amat V Servite game

http://www.youtube.com/user/tommykiss

• Bonita Fan

wow I have to run down to the stand and get the rage tomorrow. Bonita loses a tough one to Claremont tonight. Great job Charter Oak.

• http://www.twitter.com/SGVtylerd tDro

http://youtu.be/06HbT7Gwm5U
    (Watch in HD!!)

Highlights/ interviews from West Covina-Loyola.. Bulldogs’ 14-game win streak is snapped fielding a less than full-strength squad.. Jimmy Frazier goes down early on and does not return. Chris Solomon, Aarron Franklin and Jonathan Najera out as well..

West Co fans will want to see what Coach Maggiore had to say about next week’s rivalry game w/ South Hills…

And of course, read the full-game story in the newspaper tomorrow! (Follow along during games and get your hands on highlight/ interview videos and stories by following @SGVtylerd on Twitter.) Thanks!

• reality

What I expected with key guys out. Claremonts game plan executed perfectly against Bonita’s offense. Suspect play calling was an issue. Repeatedly calling for passes when qb unable to see the field and even if completed it was for little or no gain. No rollouts or pitchouts only interceptions. Running game fine, defense very good, but bad offensive coaching tonite. After a blocked field goal and return to the 9 yardline Bonita unexplicably called for a out pattern on 1st and goal which was promptly intercepted and returned for a TD. A 14 point switch. Play calling like that happened the whole game with again after great defensive stand the last drive ended quickly with another pick. I know they missed their soph qb but c’mon this was the best you could come up with. Not faulting the QB but the coaches. He obviously does not have the tools(height) to drop back and pass. Podley’s staff has a reputation of being able to make adjustments but not tonite, they were stuck in reverse.

• Aaron

What Bonita did to Claremont last year was not a surprise.

The Bearcats this year are better than that score, yet Claremont was better last night…phone at the end of the half with my dad was erratic QB play, apparently stopped trying to run the ball after the 1Q…text at the end of the game: was that some passes were dropped that would normally be caught.

Aaron Burgett got the start- 8/28 39 yds 2 INTs.
    Take that for what you will…

Regroup Bearcats, got La Serna this week and they ain’t no slouch.

• COChargerfan

Hey oldschool, just because the OC has a few very good teams doesnt make the entire region superior to the SGV. First of all, the OC has 3 million residents to the SGVs 2 million, so, they have a lot more high school teams. And Id venture to bet that Amat would routinely beat 90% of themso wouldnt that make Amat better than 9 out of 10 teams in the OC???

And oldschool, how about Servites baseball and basketball teamsyear to year they are nothing to write home about. Bottom line is Servite has been able to corner the local football talent, thats the extent of the matter and not some regional difference.

Amat has nothing to be ashamed of as they lost to what looks like not only the very best team in the OC but maybe the state and/or country. Hold your heads high guys and get back to work.

Great job CO.

• amat hater

Montes had a great game his name was announced the whole game! Its sad when you have a corner(montes) and a safety (blue) making all the tackles. Where were the linebackers??

• football jones

BA & SERVITE

I disagree with those who argue BA should have passed more.

The only real chance BA had for victory was to keep Servite’s high powered Offense off the field, and try to shorten game by keeping the clock running. You don’t do this by primarily passing.

A couple of key interceptions were poor decisions that Rio tried to ‘shoe horn’ in…killers.

BA didn’t look ill prepared, or even out classed.

The BA D-line is another story – they were severely over powered and all went downhill from there.

BA lost to the top team in Southern California…so what? That’s nothing to be ashamed of.

Does BA play Servite next year?

• 12th man

FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL SCORES
    ————————————————-
    Arleta 56, Los Angeles Marshall 41

Birmingham 45, Belmont 0

Chatsworth 38, Panorama 7

Dorsey 10, Taft 3

El Camino Real 24, Palisades 21

Lincoln 21, Huntington Park 20

Locke 40, San Fernando 0

Los Angeles University 43, Animo South Los Angeles 6

Manual Arts 20, Los Angeles 9

Reseda 45, Monroe 0

San Pedro 27, West Adams 7

Washington 20, Los Angeles Hamilton 14

SOUTHERN SECTION

NONLEAGUE

Alemany 46, Eastside 7

Alhambra 34, La Canada 14

Aliso Niguel 47, Millikan 3

Alta Loma 30, Montclair 0

Antelope Valley 28, Rosamond 6

Arroyo 48, Temple City 21

Arroyo Grande 37, Nipomo 6

Beaumont 40, Cathedral City 19

Bell-Jeff 37, Fairmont Prep 8

Bloomington 47, Banning 25

Bosco Tech 48, Gabrielino 18

Brethren Christian 27, Arrowhead Christian 14

Buena Park 62, Westminster La Quinta 0

Cajon 52, Eisenhower 0

California 41, Rowland 14

Camarillo 20, Buena 15

Campbell Hall 53, Riverside Christian 0

Cantwell-Sacred Heart 22, Schurr 0

Canyon Country Canyon 42, Burbank Burroughs 14

Carpinteria 22, Morro Bay 8

Carter 19, Chaffey 8

Channel Islands 23, Oak Park 7

Charter Oak 35, Corona Roosevelt 28

Chino Hills 28, Corona Santiago 16

Claremont 18, Bonita 15

Compton Centennial 52, Orange 3

Corona del Mar 28, Huntington Beach 21

Covina 42, Gladstone 0

Crescenta Valley 40, Santa Paula 32

Culver City 51, West Torrance 28

Cypress 47, Norwalk 14

Damien 13, Diamond Ranch 6

Dana Hills 36, San Juan Hills 0

Diamond Bar 40, Hacienda Heights Wilson 13

Don Lugo 10, Ontario Christian 7

Downey Calvary Chapel 35, Western Christian 0

El Rancho 13, Northview 10

El Segundo 42, Mary Star 7

El Toro 41, El Modena 0

Elsinore 27, King 3

Estancia 56, Bolsa Grande 0

Foothill 14, Beckman 10

Frazier Mountain 40, Vasquez 7

Fullerton 26, Anaheim 0

Gahr 24, Northwood 22

Garden Grove 14, Westminster 7

Gardena Serra 21, Redondo 0

Hart 49, Palmdale 24

Hawthorne 34, Lawndale 31

Heritage 36, Patriot 12

Highland 42, Ridgecrest Burroughs 35

JSerra 28, Long Beach Wilson 21

Jurupa Valley 52, Pacific 27

Kaiser 49, Barstow 7

La Habra 28, La Mirada 19

La Serna 42, Downey 7

La Sierra 31, Norte Vista 14

Laguna Beach 55, Webb 7

Lancaster 9, Baldwin Park 7

Lancaster Desert Christian 42, Desert 20

Littlerock 22, Fontana 2

Lompoc 24, Pioneer Valley 17 (OT)

Lompoc Cabrillo 34, Righetti 14

Long Beach Cabrillo 21, Lynwood 16

Los Alamitos 56, Mayfair 21

Los Altos 27, Bellflower 0

Los Amigos 24, Godinez 21

Loyola 35, West Covina 7

Maranatha 20, La Salle 3

Mira Costa 17, Inglewood 0

Morningside 41, Cerritos 0

Mountain View 41, Bassett 12

Muir 27, Saugus 9

Murrieta Mesa 28, West Valley 26

Nogales 36, Jurupa Hills 14

Oak Hills 56, Desert Hot Springs 3

Ocean View 62, Santa Ana Calvary Chapel 34

Oxnard Pacifica 60, Nordhoff 56

Palm Desert at Apple Valley, cancelled, lightning (called in 2nd quarter and will not be made up)

Palm Springs 43, Arroyo Valley 8

Peninsula 21, North Torrance 12

Perris 21, Vista del Lago 20

Pomona 28, Chino 24

Quartz Hill 42, Oxnard 13

Rancho Christian 39, CSDR 0

Rancho Cucamonga 35, Great Oak 0

Rancho Verde 37, San Gorgonio 10

Redlands East Valley 30, Dominguez 0

Rialto 27, La Quinta 24

Rim of the World 44, Victor Valley 7

Rio Hondo Prep 16, Big Bear 0

Rio Mesa 44, San Marcos 7

Riverside North 48, Colton 10

Riverside Poly 21, Ramona 17

Royal 27, Golden Valley 14

Saddleback Valley Christian 40, California Military Institute 18

Salesian 42, Bishop Montgomery 13

San Gabriel 27, South Pasadena 10

San Jacinto 35, Lakeside 21

San Luis Obispo 36, Dos Pueblos 23

Santa Barbara 27, Beverly Hills 6

Santa Clara 35, Hueneme 34

Santa Clarita Christian 25, Lucerne Valley 0

Santa Fe 42, Warren 26

Santa Margarita 39, Tesoro 7

Santa Maria St. Joseph 63, Cerritos Valley Christian 14

Santa Monica 35, Leuzinger 0

Santa Ynez 23, Bishop Diego 22

Segerstrom 29, Irvine University 28

Serrano 21, Silverado 13

Servite 49, Bishop Amat 14

Sherman Oaks Notre Dame 17, Valencia 14 (OT)

Sonora 45, Magnolia 7

South Hills 61, St. Monica 0

St. Anthony 41, Animo Leadership 6

St. Bonaventure 29, Corona Centennial 27

St. Francis 31, Arcadia 28

St. Genevieve 49, Flintridge Prep 13

St. John Bosco 35, Lakewood 31

Sultana 39, San Bernardino 13

Summit 35, Redlands 14

Temecula Valley 19, Corona 11

Temescal Canyon 48, Tahquitz 39

Torrance 50, Bell Gardens 43

Troy 35, Walnut 14

Twentynine Palms 27, Aquinas 26

Upland 31, Tustin 20

Valley View 24, Hemet 14

Ventura 38, Agoura 0

Viewpoint 44, Villanova Prep 24

Vista Murrieta 31, Etiwanda 28

West Ranch 41, Burbank 7

Workman 13, Keppel 2

Yorba Linda 27, El Dorado 3

Yucaipa 43, Canyon Springs 0

INTERSECTIONAL

Anza Hamilton 54, Julian 6

Blythe Palo Verde Valley 28, Shadow Hills 21

Brawley 49, Indio 27

Calabasas 16, Granada Hills 12

California City 64, McFarland 32

Cathedral 52, Wilmington Banning 36

Chaminade 41, Venice 21

Clovis 7, Atascadero 0

Compton 36, Sylmar 22

Crean Lutheran 26, San Diego Rock Academy 6

Crespi 64, Los Angeles Jordan 0

El Cajon Christian 34, Linfield Christian 0

Escondido 14, Murrieta Valley 13

Escondido Orange Glen 42, Garey 12

Harvard-Westlake 51, Fairfax 14

Long Beach Jordan 38, Granada Hills Kennedy 17

Long Beach Poly 38, Carson 18

Miller 51, North Hollywood 12

Narbonne 34, Palos Verdes 32

Norco 21, Crenshaw 20

Oceanside 31, Chaparral 19

Paraclete 9, Chula Vista Olympian 7

Santa Maria 59, Monterey County Marina 6

Solana Beach Santa Fe Christian 13, Capistrano Valley 12

8 MAN

NONLEAGUE

Bloomington Christian 60, Nuview Bridge 12

California Lutheran 60, Rolling Hills Prep 27

Cuyama Valley 60, Hope Centre 18

Desert Chapel 36, Marywood-Palm Valley 16

Excelsior 44, Avalon 6

Granada Hills Hillcrest Christian 49, Big Pine 6

Hesperia Christian 24, Immanuel Christian 12

Lancaster Baptist 47, Wildomar Cornerstone Christian 34

Liberty Christian 58, Santa Maria Valley Christian 48

Westmark 30, Pacific Lutheran 28

INTERSECTIONAL

Bakersfield Northwest Christian 22, Maricopa 20

East Valley 50, Noli Indian 30

Escondido Classical Academy 82, Capistrano Valley Christian 68

Lemoore Kings Christian 52, Trona 14

North County Christian 63, Alpaugh 0

Riverside Prep 38, Central City Value 0

• P-Town

Fred,

“Pomona 28, Chino 24 — The Red Devils could be the sleeper in the Valle Vista that Covina and San Dimas worry about.”

You guys are a joke!

Pomona just beat the 10th ranked team in the inland empire and the 6th rank in the Daily Bulletin. Aram talks about Diamond Ranch close loss to Damien and how they will be competing for the Hacienda title. Diamond Ranch lost to Chino by 14 just last week.

Pomona should be the favor in the VVL with that win not “could be the sleeper”. Pomona dominated that game against Chino, Chino had one substained drive all night, and didn’t score on that drive. Every time they scored the drive started on our 20 yard line or closer. We should have killed that team.

You guys need to grow some b@lls and admit you screwed up. Aram doesn’t even give the score last night. Aram talked all this crap about our program, now what? That Pomona win last night was the biggest win of the night in the SGV, well one of the biggest the charter oak win was big also.

Can’t wait to here your excuses why Pomona won this week.

• football jones

Advice for LA,

A bit of advice, just ignore the predictable Wilson negative comments.

Even though their blogging leader (King of the Idiots) has moved on to more blighted pastures, theres plenty of stupidity, delusion, and poor logic on that side of the Heights.

Coach Bert is a dignified man with 50 years of coaching experience, but unless he can block and tackle, theres only so much he can do.

Wilson Bloggers vilified last years staff, blamed them for everything under the sun, and ran the evil doers out of townfine.

Hey Wilson, how are things looking this year?

..PS – Next week things could get ugly

• Fred Robledo

So, anyone care to discuss what the top ten should like like next week?

• Damien Who?

Pant Fan

You played probably the worst Damien team in five years. They are in for a long season and Gano will have no more excuses. The recruits that can in all did nothing and the QB situation is a joke. That little transfer from Glendora didnt do squat. One fumble, one INT and one Td off a two yard screen. Can’t pass down field. This will be a predictable offense all year long. Amat, JS, TC, CO, SH, CH, will blow this team up bad. So that’s leaves a 4-6 season at best….

Gano, you really screwed up with some decisions you made last year. Time to dust off your resume….

• Fred Robledo

Ptown, you’re right, that was an incredible score. There was so much happening last night I didn’t have the chance to give it the thought it really deserves. This puts everyone on notice, including Monrovia, they have an extra team to worry about and it’s great. I will be in touch with Rice this week, we have to follow up on this, and they will climb our rankings quick….

• Fred Robledo

In fact Ptown, your game against Chino Hills in two weeks will tell everyone a lot … You win that game, why shouldn’t Pomona be considered the favorites to win the Mid-Valley, lets call it what it is …

• D

Go SPARTANS WERE TAKING THIS ALL THE WAY

• Reality

Still should be #1-CO #2-BA #3-WC. losing to Servite and Loyola shouldn’t cause them to drop when every team below them would probably lose by even more

• Love it

Fred

Right now, I calling Pomona to placed second in VVL. Maybe win it!

That’s right, there back… and Im not from Ptown, but they have the tools..

• Damien Who?

D Said

All the way where? South? LMAO Which game were you at?

What there paying Gano is called extortion. He’s a lower division coach at best.

• Observantcat

Fred as for the comment on South Hills looking like world beaters against St. Monica not Santa Monica is very pre-mature, that would be on the same line as Monrovia playing Campbell hall. Pomona is going to probably have its way in the VVL but by the time they meet up with Monrovia we will look like Servite vs. Bishop Amat. Please remember this at the end of the season. Now get some rest, it’s been a long weekend for you.

• Don

Servite 49, Bishop Amat 14 Amat is a very good team but Servite is on whole other level. A van load of kids headed to D1 and LB’s who are faster than opponent’s ball carriers. Scary.

Loyola 35, West Covina 7 Nothing really unexpected here. C’mon, Serra vs Hacienda? At full strength, the Bulldoggies would have kept it closer, but that’s all.

Damien 13, Diamond Ranch 6 Greg and Roddy both better keep on burning that midnight oil.

Charter Oak 35, Roosevelt 28 Semi huge win for the Chargers here. Eleanor is the third best team in one of the toughest leagues in the section. Now let’s see the injury report.

Covina 42, Gladstone 0 Yeah, there’s a shocker.

South Hills 61, St. Monica 0 What’s the matter Bogie, Southland Christian couldn’t fit you in. If you have to play a D 13 team, at least hook up Poly or Boron or someone. Brutal.

Arroyo 48, Temple City 21 Another long year for Ram fans.

Diamond Bar 40, Wilson 13 Two names for the Wildcats: Montview and Mission Valley. Dude, CIF moved you to the Mid-Valley for a reason.

California 41, Rowland 14 Another to-form game. Snyder vs Koffler ought to be interesting net week.

Lancaster 9, Baldwin Park 7 Gotta love Coach Heggins. Little light in the skill guys? Kinda young? Put the talent all on D and pound the crap out of opponents.

Mountain View 41, Bassett 12 The second worst team in the Montview vs the second worst from the Mission Valley. Not exactly PPV fare.

Troy 35, Walnut 14 If you guys insist on booking someone from Fullerton, try Sunny Hills.

El Rancho 13, Northview 10 I think Coach Perez has put together a darn good pre-league schedule to get ready for what looks like a really tough VVL this year.

Nogales 36, Jurupa Hills 14 They still playing football at Nogales?

Claremont 18, Bonita 15 Hard to imagine anyone thinking the win last year was surprising, but.

Pomona 28, Chino 24 Looks like an early three horse race in the VVL.

Chino Hills 28, Santiago 16 The 4th best team in the big8 loses to another team from higher ground; bad day in biscuit and gravy land.

Montebello 20, Rosemead 9 Next time better take Potrero Grande.

Los Altos 27, Bellflower 0 Pretty dang good start with two convincing wins over mid range D7 teams.

South El Monte 40, Ganesha 7 Can you imagine SEM going in to MVL play with 4 or 5 wins?.

Workman 13, Keppel 2 Oh brother.

• Pomona

Fred,

I am not going to lie, that Chino Hills team has a beast of a line and a great quarterback. I know we played them multi times in passing league and a linemens competition. We beat them it is going to be all coaching.

I know you guys haven’t seen us, but my point is talent wise we have more talent than Covina and San Dimas. I will give Covina the edge on all those returning players. But you can put a positive spin on that from the Pomona perspective, as the season progresses we will continue to play better as a team where as Covina has reached their peak as a team. I don’t know about Monrovia because I haven’t seen them play. I really think Covina and San Dimas are going to have major match up issues with our skilled players.

Our offense put up around 400 yards on Chino, we had 280 rushing yards. What is scary about that is our defense played lights out all night. Chino scored on drives starting on our 20 and 5 yard line, field position on a punt return and kickoff return. Then they scored on two bad snaps on punts one touchdown and one safety. All special teams and can be fixed.

• progress

Honestly, I don’t know what all the hype was about this Bishop Amat team. Any of the top teams in the SGV, could have played Servite and get beat 49-14. I think Charter Oak, Monrovia, and west covina, could mustard up 1-2 tds vs Servite. BA has to drop a few spots. Aram and fred are going to be extremely fair about rankings this week. To me it looks like Amat is lacking in the weight room. They also have the smallest lines out of the top teams in the SGV. They just don’t look strong. Also Bishop needs a new offense. They don’t have the physical prowess to run a power game. They should go to the spread like everyone else. They have the athletes with Shay, Sanchez, Montes,blue, andrews to run little short pass and turn them into big games. Plus Rio can run. The Servite DBs were playing 10-12 yards off. If they were in spread, it forces Servites big LBs out of the box. They had double tights, and That plays right into servites hand. That’s coaching. I predict Rio would look Rusty…but it’s not just that….the Bishop Amat line is not very good. it’s going be long year…Bishop is going to come in 3rd place in the Serra, and Face Mission Viejo, or Long beach poly to close out this years season. After week 2…..

Rankings
    1. Charter Oak 2-0(Big win against Roosevelt)
    2. Monrovia 1-0(Look good Against Glendora)
    3. West Covina1-1(Injuries killed them)
    4. Bishop Amat 1-1(got hit by a train)
    5. La habra 2-0(Close win over La Mirada)
    6. St Francis( Wins a close on against St Fran)
    7. Muir(Rolling along with win over Saugus)
    8 Covina( Still VVL favorites, watch out for pomona)
    9. Arroyo 2-0(looks to be a Midvalley contender)
    10.Pomona 2-0( Dark Horse, doesn’t like like hype to me.

Others: Maranatha San Dimas, Damien, Claremont, Los Altos, Duarte, San Marino,

• oldschool

@Charter oak guy.we are not talking baseball or basketball.year after year the OC produces high level football teams that compete for a state title.and you say The OC is not superior to the SGV.mission viejo,servite and santa margarita would just destroy any team from the sgv.those are the top 3 OC teams at the moment. we cant forget the other OC teams like Edison,materdei and oraange lutheran.I would like to see charter oak schedule a orange county powerhouse .

• anomymouslyly2

Wow Fred and Aram you both Picked Bassett over Mtn View and yet, you write that it was expected that Mtn View win. Maybe you should really work for the other FISH WRAP… oh you can’t, they had Mtn View over Bassett…

• Mtown rocks the best

Monrovia is happy to See Pomona doing well. We really are. Mid valley teams always get swept under the rug. Beating Chino was the biggest win in the valley hands down. Charter Oak was supposed to win. I have had pomona as my VVL pick this season. Despite returning 18 starters, covina has not improved from last year. It’s the Same old thing…Throwing the ball deep, and hoping for miracle comebacks. They have no sustainable running game, and their DB’s are small. Most of All they have bad play calling. It’s one thing to beat good teams in week 1, but its another to win deep in playoffs. If Pomona beats chino hills, it’s top 5 SGV. As a Mtown Fan you know I believe we are going to win….i just hope there is more adversity in the playoffs this year….we would love to play

First Round Duarte
    Second Round Covina
    Third Round Maranatha
    Finals Pomona

Winner Monrovia

• De la salle fan

Old School, De la Salle runs throw OC Power house teams like a hot knife through Butter, and we are going to do it again this year

• chills

pomona : slow your roll turbo, already talk of beating chino hills? haha…. who have you played in our rankings?

• progress

Oops i totally missed a team…. My list revised

3. West Covina1-1(Injuries killed them)
    4. Bishop Amat 1-1(got hit by a train)
    8 Chino hills1-1( Nice win over Santiago, Still a top team in SGV)
    Others: Maranatha. Covina, San Dimas, Damien, Claremont, Los Altos, Duarte, San Marino,

• Oldschool

De la salle fan .I agree with you.De La Salle is the best football program in the state ever.I was only talking about the OC and SGV.SGV teams would never get the opportunity to play DE LA Salle or any northern california teams ,because they never make it to state.

• bob bradstreet(no name hiding here)

Is’nt it great? Football is back.High School,that is.

• Pomona

@Chills,

I was very careful what I wrote.

“I am not going to lie, that Chino Hills team has a beast of a line and a great quarterback. I know we played them multi times in passing league and a linemens competition. We beat them it is going to be all coaching”

“We beat them it is going to be all COACHING”

Let me explain that comment, they have more talent than us and Chino Hills should beat us. If we do win it is due to COACHING. You show me a team that doesn’t go into a game thinking they have a chance of beating the other team.

Let me give you a real good example of that.

Servite vs. Bishop Amat

And before you ask the question, I actually think we have a better chance of beating Chino Hills than Bishop Amat had of beating Servite.

Doesn’t mean I think we are going to win, but we have a better chance of winning.

• CO Bully

do we agree : the CO win was not and can not be seen as a big win considering without a starting qb they should of won big not at the last second? still over rated!! Look what monrovia did to Glendora that has to mean something i want to see monrovia ranked higher then CO next week or this is all BS!

• chino guy

not gonna lie chino should of beat pomona but they beat themselves that last drive they would have scored but #22 fumbled and they had 2 drives in the 10 and they couldnt get it in one of them was cuz a center qb exchange and they also had a kickoff return called back for a “block in the back” which it really wasn’t.

• The U

Dont worry CO Bully if not this week you only have a have couple weeks to wait unitl C.O. gets blasted by Rancho……..P-Town nice win but you must be crazy if you think Chino is the #10 team in the Inland Empire, they wouldnt crack the top 30..

• Aaron

Here’s hoping the ‘Cats don’t have another injury plagued year.

• Anyone Need a has been coach?

Anyone need an old worn out coach?
    Damien has one. WTF was that last night?
    His recruits fell on their faces despite all of the accalades and glory they have been given
    Pre-season and before being tried out in a football situation. His Offensive line was a joke, hobbling, having thier legs rubbed, injured and not protecting either quarterback and the defesne might as well not showed up.

If it wasnt for the fact that a touchdown was called back in the first quarter, and a receiver turned the wrong way ( on his own accord) D-ranch would have beat the spartans.

this, according to Gano was supposed to be a romp all over Dranch to show off his explosive offense.

LOL, the only thing exploding of gano is his fat wallet from what damien is paying him and his Price PFister at his house.

When i saw the Spartans, i thought i came too early to the game and some Pop warner kids were using the field. Jesus Keyrist, what a bunch of tiny tots.

Get back to real football Gano, or get out.

Get some size to that team. Smaller , faster, stronger. That is not what you showcased my friend.

Although i do have to say that you would give my kids pop warner team a run for their money.

Chaffey, Amat, and the others must be just foaming at the mouth with anticipation.

Damien is going ot have a long long year for sure.

If you damien folks are smart, get rid of Gano.
    Boosters, dont worry about your kids playing ( we know the game) get another coach then work on buying him off , your team as a whole will have a better chance.

• must be rough

Damien fans bash their team and coach even after a win..dang must be rough over there

• Pomona

Did I just read a Chino supporter on this thread, stating we got lucky. First off you were in the game because of our special teams. We put up 400 plus yards of offense on your defense.

Your scoring drives

Our 20 yard line 7 points
    Our 5 yard line 7 points
    Punt, fell on a ball in the endzone 8 points
    Punt, kicker took a safety 2 points

Where was your offensive.

Every one of our drives started on our side of the field and we drove down the field and scored. The only team that got lucky was Chino, that we didn’t shut you out.

By the way our team did see the poll you guys put on your website. “How many points are we going to score against Pomona?” Real funny, now look who is laughing (haha).

As far as them being ranked 10th, I was told that so you maybe correct. I do know that they are ranked 5th in the Daily Bulletin.

1. Rancho Cucamonga
    2. Upland
    3. Bonita
    4. Etiwanda
    5. Chino
    6. Colony
    7. Chino Hills
    8. Summit
    9. Kaiser
    10. Los Osos

My point is we aren’t hype we are for real. Where we end up in the VVL and the Mid Valley Division who knows? I personally think we are the second best team in the Mid Valley, behind Monrovia. How much we improve during the season is going to determine if we can compete with Monrovia. That is my opinion, and to be honest with you my opinion is looking a lot better than Aram’s and his sources opinion.

• hs fan

so much for wilson people saying they were going to be good this yr. they lost to a horrible bosco tech, then got pounded by Diamond bar, they will lose to los altos and maybe only win one game this yr vs nogales.

• RCFOOTBALL

progress,

Co had a win, but Roosevelt was not only missing their starting Qb, but also their starting RB and 1 O-lineman. Who knows if Charter Oak or Roosevelt wins with those players in the game, but it probably would not of been the same score.

SGV and Amat 73,

I told you Servite was the real deal, those guys are awesome in every part of the game. Amat still is a good team, just Servite is on a different level than everyone else.

• fire gano now

must be tough

that’s because most know they suck… The qb looks like he’s part of the glendora junior all american team.. its sad..

• jcaz

Old school. Not really fair that your comparing an entire county to the SGV. But if we were to compare counties to county, well let’s just take a closer look at this ok.
    1 seems to me that LB Poly in and of it’s self gas more PAC 5 championships than do any of the OC Teams combined maybe ?
    2 an LA county team actually defeated Dr La Sale a few years ago (canyon country canyon) where Servite just got slaughtered
    3 the top three teams in Los Angeles county (pick any three) can stack up very well against all of the top three teams you spoke about
    4 don’t get me started onVentira county and St Bonnies it Oaks Christian, not to mention the recient butt woolen that one if your top three had against centennial.

The point is that there will always be some teams that are better than others and for right now, Servite is absolutely an incredible football program. That game against Servite was perhaps the second worst azz wuppen that Amat has had right after that Notre Dame game a few years ago. The only question left to ponder us, how will Amat take that loss ? And how will it effect them once Amat gets into league play ?
    12th man, yes you were right they did come out with a fea flicker play, but I stand by my point in that only weak teams use trick plays. Amat probably has a few of those in Their play book, but look at who their playing over the next few weeks. No need to do any if that

• Damien Supporters Concern?

You can look at this game from two different views,

1. (The glass is half full) Diamond Ranch had a week 0 game and Damien didn’t. That is a lot bigger than most realize.

2. (The glass is half emty) Diamond Ranch lost to Chino by 14 last week. This week Chino lost to Pomona by 4 points. Damien only beat Diamond Ranch by one score. These scores don’t look good at all for Damien football.

• Theirs no crying in football

Stop your crying your kids are just not good enough thats why they have been replaced in the Spartan lineup. It has nothing to do with old coaches or transfers. Some insight for you.if youre son is a WR who didnt catch any balls in the off season, if youre a daddy who pays for a QB coach so you think that makes your son a QB, or if your boo wants to play defense but he is afraid of contact..oh and this is the best one if mommy and daddy need to speak to coaches for their babies….hahahaha….these are all clues your little pooky isnt a football player.
    Have your cowardly fun on the blogs but your kid is still not good enough.

• Old Spartan Player

WoW is all I have to say about some of you Damien supporters, why can’t some of you just give Congrats on the Damien win. Remember its barley the start of the season and there is games that need to be played, so hold you comments about the coach and more importantly the players. Its turning into the same thing all over again like what happen with Morrison… and I know it was a mistake letting him go but with some Damien supporters believing in winning now, how can we if we are changing coaches every 4 or 5 years. Remember are last championship was in 1982(when Morrison was playing for Damien) so changing coaches is not going to help us in reaching our goals. Now if you believe in changing coaches will solve our problems please let me know who is this perfect candidate and how will he do it, till then support our coach and for a very successful season.

• coltfan97

To P-Town and Pomona,

Are you REALLY disrespecting Covina that bad! Yes your a good team I admit that (we put 400 yards in offense against West Covina). You have some great athletes, but Covina has great athletes too. In my opinion the one aspect that Covina has over Pomona is that are line on both sides of the ball are big and physical just ask West Covina! You will wear down in the 4th quarter.

As for Covina’s Offense we are not one dimensional, and if any opponent thinks that Covina is one dimensional they will have a long night ahead of them.

Covina is the number two team in the Mid-Valley Division. How can you guys say your the favorites in the VVL when the DEFENDING VVL CHAMPS basically have everybody returning? REMEMBER POMONA you haven’t won anything yet. REMEMBER pomona fans the VVL CROWN RUNS THROUGH COVINA, and its NOT going to be an easy task.

I JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU FOR DISRESPECTING COVINA IT MIGHT JUST COME BACK AND HUNT IN THE END!!!

By the way bloggers, the rankings don’t matter you still have to play the game on the field.

• coltfan97

One other thing Pomona, yes you will improve as the weeks go by, but did you forget the Covina will improve as the weeks go by as well?

I really wish the Pomona Covina game would happen in week 10, but instead it will happen in week 4.

• coltfan97

• DHS

Excellent coverage by Tom Kiss and crew. I thought it was an interesting opening to his video with Servite warming up. As dumb and simple as it may have seemed to the average fan, that to me showed the discipline and the syncronization that the Servite team has together. Not being an Amat fan, I truly believe they have the talent to compete with teams like Servite. Talent will take you a long ways, but getting that talent to play organized, smart football will take you even further. Organization from the top to the bottom is very important. Starting Hayes last week and then starting Ruiz this week, I believe, truly had a big effect on the team. I understand the reason for not starting Ruiz last week as he was figured to miss most of the preseason. My whole point comes back to each team being able to play in sync with thier other teamates’ talents and abilities. As most Amat fans would admit, Ruiz looked a little rusty. I’m not saying Amat would have won this game, but if Ruiz had a full preseason under center things would have been a lot closer. Servite, that night, looked like the more prepared an in sync team from warm-ups through the game.

• buck stops here

Old timer Sparta

Bottom line Gano’s had enough time to turn it around. This year won’t be much different and if you were at the game, and looking at the schedule, who you do think they’ll bet?

He was suppose to be the ‘Savior”. Do you really think he’s done the job? Really, if you know anything about talent and recruiting talent, its just not there and he’s has to be accountable for the outcome. Friday win was a gift, enjoy it, because they’ll be slim pickin’s this year.

• Thanks alot Glendora

we know now why that little QB from Glendora transferd here to Sparty. Because he wasn’t going to play at Glendora because he sucks.

• GHS

Thanks slot Glendora

Your so right! And Glendora won’t take a check from “Daddy” so his kid can play, but Damien will always have there hand out for money.. LOL

Good luck with that dad, he’s a joke and reality still hasn’t hit him. The guy been talkin sh@@ over here for years with NO SUBSTANCE to back anything up.

• Wow

You would think the Tartan faithfull would be smart enough to stay out of this. You have a JAA staff and will be lucky to get 2 wins at this point. Remember you got what you wanted Pucci left now your can’t complete a pass and your worried abot Damien…hahahaha
    Typical GHS

• 12th man

jcaz,
    My point was..Whenever your playing against a powerhouse in the pac5 you have to do watever it takes to move the ball & most likely your not going to be able to run the ball especially if you dont have a physical line that can explode off the snap & dominate in the trenches..Servite defensive backs were playing about 5 to 7 yards off the line of scrimmage which means they didnt respect or feel that Amat had anyone that could burn them down the field..Playing this type of defense is a recipe for disater for opposing teams if they think there going to run or live off the short passes..Its not going to happen!..Your best chance is to open up the defense..Go deep or run some trick plays you have to try to expose the defense in the case it would have been the secondary of Servite..Once you get that established then you can start running the ball to kill time off the clock..Even though the next few games are of a lesser caliber what better time to practice theese trick plays especially if you have a comfortable lead in the game..Which would mean you have nothing to lose by running them not to mention you have Alemany, Crespi, Loyola, looming down the road..”Start getting prepared” or its going to be a long season~

• White Fang

Everything that has been stated about Servite is true: bigger, faster, strong on both defense and offence. For those that really know football, football is 80% physicalogical 20% physical. Granted, Servite is the better team. However, Amat could have made a better challenge for Servite.What has not been discussed, in all fairness,The interception was indeed a pass interference that was not called. In another incident, Amat began making Perry run out of the pocket; at one point Perry grounded the ball but was not called for grounding.The boys began to lose confident in themselves.Amat began to gain momentium, but was derailed. The score shoul have read Servite 35, Amat 28. Like I said Psych.always wins over brawn.I see Amat punshing every team that gets in their way, for the pain inflicted on them by Servite.

• eastsider

Wow,mission viejo lost 35-6 against the number 1 team in the nation Don Bosco Prep N.J

• Buck Stops Here FAN

buck stops here.
    You are so right. It has been more than enough time. I see that this coach has no clue on how to turn the program around. I can tell you that the best kids at Damien are not playing. Transfers have hurt and really cost Damien. Lots of money spent with no results. Im not bad mouthing the coach, im just saying he is lost in turning the situation around. When he started, he had an all star coaching staff. When they didnt agree with him or the boosters, they let them go. Now he stands alone, with only himself to blame for this season.

And you are right, I look at he schedule and it give me chills to think about what the final outcome will be this year.

I wont badmouth the players or the coach, my son plays varsity. I just feel that Gano is lost in how to turn Damiens problems around.

I was at the game Friday, I have never seen the stand so quiet and subdued.

After the game, only a few of the players were chestbumping and high fiving ( because they didnt know any better) the game was terrible and was a gift. I hope that Damien receives a lot more gifts this year.

I see Damien as a 3 and 7 team this year at best.

• coltfan97

To Progress,

Your making me laugh here!!! How can you make a ridiculous statement that Covina has not improved from last year? Just wondering!!!
    Especially when were only in week one!!!! The season is way to young to make a foolish comment like that. Your comment tells me you know absolutely nothing about football!!! From the way I see it, Covina has improve in two facets of the game their line play and the kicking game (which is useful in the playoffs).

Another thing we played a great team in West Covina. REMEMBER THEY WERE CIF CHAMPS LAST YEAR!!! This is why your statement is ridiculous!!! By the way ask West Covina how big and physical Covina’s line is?

HMMMM

• Checking in

Fred,

Last week I wrote about the “ill-advised” SGV Tribune article about two of Damien’s “stud” tranfers, Trailer and Boykins. In the Tribune’s own article the next day after the game, here’s the extend of their production:

“…….transfers Uriah Trailer and Travion Boykins combined for just three rushes that resulted in 11 yards lost.”

Your response to me about how I felt the piece was unwarranted based on them having never stepped on Damien’s field yet was:

Checking in, I get it. You would rather have a story on the lineman, maybe that’s a more personal angle for you, I don’t know. But from a media perspective, the two new additions are more interesting.

Fred, obviously what you and your editors think is salient isn’t. Next time, stick with the linemen angle—you’ll be better off.

Did you ever put on the “ol’ bonnet”?—I think I know the answer.

• whaddya think?

Mission Viejo got embarrassed. They shouldn’t be ranked in he Pac 5 for losing so big.

• progress

Colt Fan 97, what do you mean I don’t know anything about football. Against a good team, with Solomon, and Frazier out, Covina’s physical line could only mustard up 53 yrds rushing on 19 attempts…As far as pass blocking, your line does ok. Run blocking wise, they are not very good still. With Solomon out, and Frazier limping, Wesco still managed to Run the ball inside and outside, and in Overtime, so the your run defense still has not improved. Therefore i expect Covina to do slightly worse than last year. Especially since Pomona is going to win the opener. They have the Athletes to run with you all… and this year, you are not the fastest team in your league. Your next 2 games are not going to prepare you for that showdown. While your playing against El Monte, Walnut, Pomona will be playing Bloomington, and Chino Hills…And they already won their biggest game to date. You all lost yours….Who do you think is going to be more prepared? You see, It’s not that you don’t have a good running back bc you have Ainsworth, its the fact that Coach Thomas, is no where near 65/35 Pass/run. He is more like 90/10 Pass/Run. Which means you guys probably don’t practice the run game…It shows when Covina plays in games like West Covina or Whittier Christian. Do you actually think you are going to win CIF Throwing hail Mary’s and Last minute miracle comebacks? No happening…better be able to muscle teams up, or it will be 2nd round and Done. That would be embarrassing for a team with 18 Returners.

• quiet as kept

Quiet as kept, Monrovia’s win over Glendora, was the first step to 14-0, Midvalley Champs and State bowl DIII game selection. Don’t take my word for it here is the the proof…

http://hscalifornia.scout.com/2/1104205.html

Now watch the haters scramble! Let’s go Wildcats!

• Keep it real

Checking in, The Trib also did an artical on Zaldavar who was 1 for 9 and 2 picks. So I guess what your saying is no artical should be written on the 1-0 Damien team.
    Why don’t you just be real your but hurt because another player took your sons spot. You can use the transfer angle if it makes you fell better.
    But if you know anything about football you know Damien is a better team with Boykins and Trailer.
    Everything else is just noise when it comes to singing the transfer blues.

• eastsider

@whatdyatink just because mission viejo lost against the best program in the nation does not mean they are not one of the top teams in the pac 5. saw them play on fox sports last week and they looked great.they will be in the pac 5 final against servite again.

• Whaddya think.

eastsider – so usng the same logic – just because Amat lost to the best team in CIF does not mean they aren’t the best team in the San Gabriel Valley.

• GREAT NEWS

@quiet as kept,

That is great news for the mid-valley division. If a team goes undefeated and plays Monrovia in championship game, that game very well could be for the state championship birth.

Well Covina and San Dimas are out…….

Now you guys need to kept on winning.

• are you keeping it real?

are you keeping it real?

Yes checking in, keep it real bro.

those -11 yards offense makes Damien a much much
    better team, LOL

Wow what an offensive spark that was on Friday.

We needed that at Damien. -11 yards.

My friend, YOU need to keep it real.

• Observantcat

Fred, ‘m a bit concerned for you man. You asked a question to the West Covina and Monrovia Fans and I would like to know why. Did you see who South HIll just finished playing? It wasn’t Servite, Glendora, Roosevelt, or Loyola, It was Saint Monica! (26 players going both ways with no one over 5’10 100 lbs) I think you could have played in that game and scored. LOL

But here is your statement
    South Hills 61, St. Monica 0 — Are you paying attention to this? The Huskies follow with West Covina and Monrovia, and yes, I think they have a great shot in both.
    Please Explain!

• Keep it real

Ya bro i am keeping it real. Trailer made of the last 4 plays at the the goal line. He knocks down that pass that your son watches for a TD.
    But hurt cream is on isle 3.

• Checking in

Keep it real—–sorry chump, no kid at Damien.

My problem is that local media, like Aram and Rodledo—always seem to focus on “fluff”, while overlooking other kids within the
    Damien program, each with their compelling stories, but they are overlooked for a perceived “angle” which is only germane to local pundits.

Let the kids make their mark, then the “ink” is a bit more legitimate.

• The Chef

Are we done with all the Bravado and BS we heard last year about Amat being the “Elite” program of the SVG? How about it Gasbag73 and Joe(Old Fart)Amat or any one of many incestuous fools, are you going to give us an unwarranted dissertation on how Amat is still the best that the SGV has to offer? Enough already! Amat got powned and it is just one of many for the year. It is time to realize that you just weren’t that good when you played and to the extent that you clutch on your High School Alma matter’s superiority to feed your ego, you are simply pathetic. When will you realize that it is also not a threat to your manhood when another is doing well. Let’s use the blog for what it was intended, a way to share positive information about SGV sports programs and congratulations to all good programs for great performances.

• Frank

If we are going to base rankings by wins and losses, then Duarte should be ranked first, they are 2-0 and have allowed O points so far. Unlike charter oak who barely won both their games.
    @WhiteFang: although I agree with much of what you said. Yes Amat was definitely in position to score 2 more td’s during that game, and also there were some calls that were questionable or why they werent called was questionable. Yet, the difference between the winner and the loser is the one makes the plays when they need to. Amat didnt score when it should have, and then allowed the other team to score to easily. The game had the feeling that Amat could always come back up till about the 4th qtr. Even though many look down on this loss, I see it as a good thing, Amat will use this to grow and will be much better for it. I expect Amat to see Servite either in the semifinals or finals. With the right adjustments Amat can beat this team. You have to find a way to take their speed and strength away from them. When Amat spread them out they were pretty successful, but if you allow them to set up tighter on you, theres nowhere to go.

• coltfan97

To Progress,

Your right Covina does need to work on there running game, and they have. Pomona does play a tougher schedule, but trust me the Colts will be ready! By the way, Covina’s passing game is about creating match up problems for the defense, and Covina does an excellent job on capitalizing on those problems. Plus the Colt’s qb does an excellent job on reading the defense.
    They might have the athletes and more team speed, but that doesnt mean their going to win. You are really underestimating Covina. By the way we stopped West Covina inside running game, but not their outside running game. Like I said earlier we just finished week 1. Do you think Pomona can beat West Covina? I dont think they can. Lastly, I do believe Covina could win CIF. They have the talent. Covina has a new weapon that frustrate opponents, and that most teams dont have the players to stop it!

• what

To all Stop trying to make the Amat vs Servite game something other than a blowout. I have heard people say “Any other SGV team would have given up more” or “Wouldn’t have Scored 14.” That is a bunch of egotistical, vain, amat always has a legitimate excuse why they lose, b.s. Any of the top SGV teams, and I mean any of them could have pulled the performance that Amat Pulled. Servite totally took their foot of the gas pedal at the end of 3rd and whole fourth Qtr. They put in the 3-4 string rbs and 2nd string QB and still punched it in for the score. So are you Saying that Monrovia, or Charter Oak, couldn’t have got lucky with a hail mary to get on the board? Mater of Fact they probably have better WR’s anyway. How in the world is amat “over their head” in Pac 5 play. Servite is not a lock to win the pac 5 just because they destroyed you all. Like I said…Charter Oak or Monrovia could have easily lost 49-14 vs the friars. This years team looked cripple with all those knee braces! What the hell is going on over there? I’ll tell you this Bishop is not the areas best team, if they are…it’s not by much. It better not be close in the next few games vs Cathedral or La mirada.

• lmao

Anyone Need a has been coach?

stop being a hater you sound pathetic like an old lady. Gano four rings, one win this season enough said now go away. Stick your finger in the electrical socket or something like that. Pop warner are you serious people should stick to what they know you probably make or sale t-shirts right lmao………………at you dummy#111111111111111

• thetinman

Gano,Bogan,Farrar 13 rings nice its hard enough to win one ring and these cry baby wieners who truly know nothing about the game come on here and cry wolf because little jonny couldn’t make the cut lol. Un real how these morons judge a season by one game Gano you da man buddy a win is a win is a win and these low life wanna be, pop warner, weekend warrior daddy’s still have to wake up tomorrow and show up to their life less jobs and all they have is this blog. Fricken amazing once again pathetic losersssssss

• progress

coltfan97, That’s covina’s problem always reverting back to “Could so and so beat West Covina”. News Flash, you did not beat West Covina! Last year we let you all slide with that comment. It has no weight now. The question is can you beat Pomona?

• DrEvil

coltfan97

“Covina has a new weapon that frustrate opponents, and that most teams dont have the players to stop it!”

Umm, let me guess. Does this new weapon have anything to do with sharks, and lasers??? ‘Cause if it does, I believe we may have a case of patent infringement.

• Panther Fan

Amazing, Each season I normally banter with the opposing team’s supporters. It has been hillarious watching the bantering between the Damien supporters on how good or bad the team, coach, kids, parents etc. have been for this one over hyped team. Get over it, Your Damien team won (BARELY). Now you need to start WORRYING about the rest of the season. Oh, I’m sorry that’s what you were doing all along.
    Carry on, keep the laughs coming :-).

• no-step

lmao,

Your comment to Anyone Need a Has Been coach? was silly. Actually, he is correct.

• Anyone need a has been coach

tinman and lmao.

its obvious you are both probably players or
    coaches.good luck to you and your season.

thank you no-step. We know the truth. the game
    on friday showed that Damien will be 3-7 this year at best.

Gano will hopefully crawl back in another hole somewhere and leave Damien. he will leave with a losing record and bundles of Damien money’

take care and good luck mighty mites.

• BAHS FAN

Until one of you “Local Boys” steps up and takes a “W” against my Lancers….You got nothin!

Plain

And

Simple…….S C O R E B O A R D ! ! ! ! !

• eastsider

@whatdayathink.there is no logic behind my statement.I saw mission viejo play on T.V and saw what they have.they are still top 3 in the Pac 5. and I actually think Amat is still the best team in the valley.

• Colt74

Progress whined:

“Last year we let you all slide with that comment. It has no weight now. The question is can you beat Pomona?”

We?? We All? You and that mouse in your pocket?
    We won last year. We lost by one play (6 points)in OVERTIME this year. Did your team beat us? Until you line up and beat us you are just talking your normal BS. Another woulda, coulda, Psychic ??? Get in line with the other 200 here.

This game more than backed up last years win and truthfully no one, I repeat no one, cares one bit if your whiny a$$ accepts it or not. Your opinion of Covina means less than nothing. And slick..Frazier was not limping during our game. I have the video.

Week 4 is going to be fun. Get your mom to drop you off and buy a ticket.
    Until then PLEASE keep enlightening us with your vast football knowledge and insights of what Covina has, doesn’t have, practices, and can do..
    Excuse me…..

Buuuuaaaaahhhahahahahaha. ( translation : Your talking out your a$$ again! )
    Ok..I’m back.
    You were whining?????? I mean, saying?

• Pomona

Colt74,

what took you so long, I think Progress is a Covina hater not a Pomona supporter, not sure. Tell you this much week 4 is going to be fun. But first we have to worry about week 2 and week 3. I’v been watching film on Bloomington, they are no walk through the park. If we take them lightly they will beat us.

• progress

Actually Colt74, I represent The Monrovia wildcats. I don’t hate Covina…I am not a pomona Supporter. I just want to see who is going to emerge as the Challenger in the Midvalley. As I have watched Covina and Pomona, 2nd and 3rd best team in the Division, I see that Covina has not improved in their running game, and I think Pomona is a real threat, and will win the VVL. But really when I speak of “We” I am speaking for all the people in the Midvalley, when we say “STOP USING” the west covina game to justify how good your team is or what you are going to do. For me to believe in Covina, I am going to have to see the colts dominate top Midvalley teams. You squeak pass Baldwin Park and San Dimas in the VVL, then laid a egg against Whittier Christian. No one is hating or whining. Is there some kind of rule that says you can give your opinion regarding Division foes on this blog? Don’t wear your heart on your sleeve…it’s all fun. I never said Covina was sorry…I just don’t see anything different from last year..that’s all ….no biggie.

• Reality Inside

tinman

Youre going to be the laughing stock with a 3 or maybe a 4 win season. Then you and Gano can go talk about it in the donut shop. The belly fat has finally gone to his head. He can’t coach at this level… bottom line! Yeah Gano the man and it will show this year.. LOL

GHS hater… Pucci is gone because he couldn’t compete at Glendora and daddy couldnt handle it. Now how many passes or rushing yards did he have on Friday? How many int’s or fumbles? Oh, I forgot, he’s Gano stud too! LMFAO!

• Lance R

No excuses from this Lancer, we got beat straight up and Servite is on a mission to get another ring winning it all again. The only team out there that I think may match up with Servite is Santa Margarita and just maybe Alemany, other then that they beat up on the rest of the pac 5 which includes Poly, MV, Edison, etc..I was sitting by coach Thomas of Servite at the Amat Garfield game. He came and watched a quarter and left. With that said to me he knew it would be a easy game for his team, cocky as it may sound be knew his line was going to overpower Amat D line in which it did. Amat is still a good team and it is very early and at the end of the horse race I hope they are there to face Servite again. As the saying goes you have to beat the best to be the best. I do not know what our line averages in height and weight but they seem kind of small and light. There are no more Odunos,Austins or Federicos, growing there at Amat this season. Lets hope we get it together in that area. All the comparisons to all other SGV teams as to who is better then who is garbage. You must face each other to have that true arguement. La Mirada played La Habra tough, ironic how Amat gets La Mirada Friday and Servite gets La Habra friday. Two games into the season does not say it all, there is more to come from all teams, I still stay true to our Lancers and hope we are there come November.

• Lance R

• AMAT 73

First off welcome back COChargerfan. Nice to see an old time blogger. As for the game we just plain out got out played . Servite is all they are said to be plus. Very well coached and they are very fast on both sides of the ball.I think the game will pan out to be a great learning experience for our team as far as knowing what it takes to be the best team in the PAC-5 and the state at this point in time. We hung for a while but you cannot turn the ball over to a team of that caliber . Costly turnovers at a key time in the game , not saying the outcome would have been different but you can’t give a team like that momentum . We will learn from our mistakes and continue on to a successful season. It’s one loss and like I said before we play these games win or lose because that’s what AMAT does . Hat’s off to Servite on their win . Also congrats to CO on a big game they needed to win and got the job done .

• Real Damien Fan

Last Friday night was not the best game for the Spartans. But the Glendora haters club against Pucci is getting old. Regardless of the parent or whatever story you think you have, the bottom line is this kid is a sophomore and I don’t think I can ever recall (under any program) a bigger hate campaign against one family. This has got to stop. I have seen both quarterbacks/offense/defense have better days. As a fan, it will be interesting to see Damien vs. Chaffey.
    Glendora Fans, aren’t you guys 0-2? It doesn’t matter against who. You have proved nothing under your new coach or quarterback. When you start winning under either then chime in.

• Real Damien Fan #2

I agree with you Real Damien Fan.
    Lets not keep this up. I dont fault any boy
    and I think that it isnt right to do this to any family at Damien. We are all just doing our
    best but to take it out on any one family isnt right.

I am also curious to see Damien and Chaffey.

this game will tell alot about the future of Damien Football.

• sick of it spartan

Quit bitching at our coaches about playing time. First off, hating or meeting with a coach negatively after a win is completely selfish. I am behind Gano & his staff 100%! Fans are calling for his head after a win. Lol We had alot of open receivers running around in that first half especially the first play of the game. You know why Trailer & Boykins play alot, because they work harder than everyone else. The same can be said about the Sherwood brothers. In fact if we completed that first pass to Sherwood when he was 20 yards behind their best corner instead of missing him by the same 20 yards that game would of been completely different. You bang on Trailer & Boykins for their offensive numbers, but forget to mention how lignts out they played on defense. We will beat Chaffey & you still wont be happy. Our offense is lacking timing & our defense has played well. We play a tough schedule so yes it is going to be tough for us. In the end, you can blame Gano all you want, but its the kids that have to make the plays. My question is, is your son a quitter or a hitter? I know my sons wont quit, so make sure yours don’t!

• Joe Amat

Cookie (I’m sure not accomplished enough to be “The Chef”),

First and foremost – Nothing. Has. Changed. Amat’s place in the SGV (not sure what the “SVG” is unless we’re talking about Stan VanGundy) has not changed one bit. No one in Orange County is dumb enough to say that Mission Viejo does not belong among their best because they got drilled by Don Bosco Prep, only scoring once on Don Bosco subs, while being sacked 5 times, intercepted 4 times, and only gaining 52 yards on the ground. You won;t hear the La Habra folks clamoring to be ranked over them – because a more sophisticated OC fan understands their place in the food chain. They take their Pac5 beatings and use them to get better to beat up on their own division.

Second, I want you to go back and find some of that “bravado” you speak of form 73 or myself. Me-thinks you doth protest too much. A little sensitive maybe, but that’s understandable. You see the only real reason that Amat remains at the top of the SGV is the Twenty-Something Wins against ONE lonely loss to the Ian Johnson/Damien Spartans when facing area teams this decade. A decade that most of you would call Amat’s least successful in our 40+ years at the top level of high school football. Did you read that slowly? Twenty-Something Wins against ONE lonely loss.

THAT, and nothing else needs to be said. It has nothing to do with how Amat fares “in their world” of the Pac5. Head-to-Head. Twenty-Something Wins against ONE lonely loss. That sounds like an “elite” record to me. Quality wins. On top of or included in those Twenty-Something, you have wins in the same time span against St Bonaventure, Orange Lutheran, Mater Dei, Alemany, Redlands, St Francis, Chaminade, Rancho Cucamonga, Charter Oak , West Covina, Diamond Ranch, Glendora, St Paul (the year they were the Division THREE champions), Servite, Santa Margarita, St John Bosco, Loyola, Notre Dame, and Crespi.

Pick another “elite” team in the SGV with a recent resume? We saw what happened when the newly crowned SGV “king” faced a non-playoff Serra League/Pac5 team from a year ago (albiet improved – as everyone in the Pac5 seems to be). I applaud West Covina for having the continued courage to step up (something we can’t always say for other champions) but just because a team wins the “Post-Season San Gabriel Valley Newsgroup Area Fish Bowl Tournament” against a previously beaten team from their own league after rolling over other area teams on the way – does not necessarily place them any higher on the Southern California prep football food chain…. and that’s happened three years running.

Finally, Cookie, I’m ok with the result on Friday. It tells them what they need to work on. Better than beating up on the Pioneers, Gardenas, Diamond Bars, and Universitys of the world. 28-14 in the 3rd with 2 TOs in the red zone. That’s something to build on. A couple of decent drives – build on those. Understanding the necessity to get a stop after a score or a TO – that will come.

What I am really good with is the response from most Lancers and a couple other locals below. It actually is a vote of confidence in the staff that there is not mass hysteria. That has not always been the case… which shows people who see ot on a regular basis are confident in the direction of the program. This was a blip on the radar in the path to returning to where we want to be. not just the best in the SGV… but when we’re in the conversation and a win over Servite wouldn’t have been an upset.

Stay the course

BTW, Cookie… I’ll have fries with that!

• Not fooling anyone

Sick of it Spartan (aka Mr. Sherwood): You gotta stop. Seriously. We know your sons are good. The truth is, last Friday night was not anyones best game for the Spartans. We know our kids are capable of better. Gano would agree with that too.

Blogging has to be taken as it is. You don’t know who is actually doing the talking. For all you know it could not even be a Damien parent. You are feeding into the hype that someone is actually calling for Gano’s dismissal after a win or aiming for more play time for their son.

Sounds like Real Damien Fans #1 and #2 have it right.There are a lot of players that need to do their job on the field. Not just one.

• LNCR BKR

Well, Mr. Joe Amat….aren’t we in a mood today?

• The Chef

Joe (old fart) Amat (hereinafter “JOFA”)… I KNEW you just couldn’t resist droning on about program superiority in the face of a good old a$$ whoppin’. You are exactly what I mean when I say when you clutch on your High School Alma matter’s superiority to feed your ego, you are simply pathetic… But I do appreciate your volume and your consistency even though they are both indications that “the lady doth protest too much methinks” (I guess BA doesn’t cover Hamlet and you haven’t figured out Google so I have to give you small points for trying )…. I am sure that you have been wearing Depends since the last time the “Boys in Blue” were in it to win it so you probably don’t understand that all of those yesterdays are only important in your Alzheimer flashbacks and don’t mean a da** about how this years’ team will perform. From this vantage point that is circumspect… As for the fries JOFA, you know that you broke your dentures in the 3rd quarter and you have no more bite so I serve up a nice bowl of toothless mush. Besides, we are almost out of Depends and I don’t want to irritate your bowels any more… Have some more sweet dreams of yesterdays JOFA and please don’t wet yourself…

• Joe Amat

Cookie,

Although I can look at my championship memorabilia anytime I wish, I’m clutching on to nothing from the past. We’d like to get in that game again, and we have a ways to go, but I think we’re back in the team picture.

What you fail to be able to separate is the performance in the Fish Bowl *which you referenced by questioning whether Amat was an “elite SVG team” and the rest of Southern California football.

There is no need to “clutch” onto long-term memories when my limited short-term memory remembers St Bonaventure, Orange Lutheran, Mater Dei, Alemany, Redlands, St Francis, Chaminade, Rancho Cucamonga, Charter Oak , West Covina, Diamond Ranch, Glendora, Damien, St Paul, Servite, Santa Margarita, St John Bosco, Loyola, Notre Dame, and Crespi. We’ll see how this year plays out, but to date, no one in your “SVG” has much to write home to Mom about either. Twenty-Something and One. Remember.

What are your memories, Cookie?

• jcaz

Chef,

The only thing that I wuld like to add to this conversation is that no one in here can deny the fact that Amat just got got clobbered.

However, and this may mean something later on down the line, and that is that several years ago Amat played a Game at Notre Dame high school in which the outcome was very similar to the one last Friday night.

Amat actually gave up over 50 points that night and truth be told, that was only because Notre Dame took it easy on Amat in the 4th quarter. It should have been much worse believe me.

Interestingly, the very next time Amat played Notre Dame, the Lancers were better prepared and actually not only won that game, but also pounded Notre Dame right back into the stone age, even though they (Notre dame) had basicaky most of the very same people on the roster as they had the year before.

My point here is this. If there is another game against Servite this year, I honestly wont sit here and say that Amat would win that game, but I will say to you that Amat will have had a much better chance at victory than they had that very first time around. Making adjustments and being able to execute is the key to any football game, and if there is any one team in here that can actually do something such as this, then it has to be the Lancers

They can win, belive me when I say that. Case in point, who would have ever thought that Servite would have been pounded by De La Salle in last years bowl game ?

Anyhow, I noticed that as that game went on Friday night, that Servites line wasn’t as dominant as they were at the beginning of the game. Sure they made up for it in other places and maybe by then the second team had come in to play, but I think that once Amat was able to get an over all feel for that team, that the lines did a better job in the game than the final result indicated. In fact, there were more than a few instances where the defense was able to get into their back field and almost sack their quarterback.

So, I guess that if we see these guys a second time around, that maybe you might find that Amat fairs much better the second time around.

BTW, please keep in mind that Amat is a team that NEVER starts out well. Also and not an excuse here, but one of their key running backs (Shay) was out for that entire game.

One last thing and that is that in some ways I do believe that you may in fact have a point in that anyone who has a passion for their school is going to do their best to put the best face forward. It’s not fair nor is it nice to sit here and attack someone personally because they love their Alma mater.

Im sure that you may have felt a smile come over your face when Amat got their lunch handed to them, but even with that, I am more than certain that maybe you yourself actually feel as much pride in what ever school you your self attended as do Joe Amat and 73.

So, lets just accept the fact that AmAt lost to a good team and lets just see where the rest of the season takes us

• So sensative

J off. You guys can dish it out of at BA but you can take it. You talk of being some special level called D1 well if your not the best your just the rest. Welcome to the club. Oh and by the way like to hear some more of your all boys school jokes now…

• Best of the Rest

sensitive – here’s who knows what it’s like to be the best of the rest.

Servite
    went 25 years between championships
    Centennial
    split with Mater Dei over last 4 years?(could be PAC 5 participants)
    Mission Viejo
    have NEVER won a championship in the highest division
    Oaks Christian
    split with Alemany the past 2 seasons as did Bishop Amat (could be PAC 5 participants)
    Alemany
    Split with Bishop Amat the last two seasons. have NEVER won a championship
    Santa Margarita
    Westlake
    lost to Oaks Christian – see above
    Serra
    comparitive scores vs 2 Amat opponents close (advantage Amat)
    St. Bonaventure
    lost to Bishop Amat in 09, right after beating Crespi & long Beach Poly
    Mater Dei
    lost to Bishop Amat the last 2 times they’ve met. Last won a championship game in 98
    Vista Murrieta
    lost to Crespi-3rd place in Serra League, have NEVER won a championship
    Chino Hills
    have NEVER won a championship
    Crespi
    Lost to Bishop Amat last season and 2 of last 3 meetings. Last D1 title in 1986
    St. John Bosco
    no playoffs last season. have NEVER won a championship
    Tesoro
    West Covina
    swept by Bishop Amat in last 2 meetings
    Valencia
    Lost to Loyola, the Serra League’s 4th place team. last title in 1992
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Swept by Amat in last 2 meetings, Did not LOSE to Charter Oak in their 2 meetings
    Arroyo Grande
    no championships since 98-and they’re in Arroyo Grande
    Lakewood
    have NEVER won a championship
    La Habra
    lost to non playoff Pac-5 opponents St John Bosco and OLu
    Edison
    Last won a championship game in 1980
    Orange Lutheran
    lost to Amat in 08. no playoffs in 10
    Dominguez
    swept by Bishop Amat in last 2 meetings
    Upland
    Lost to Loyola, the Serra League’s 4th place team
    Glendora
    swept by Bishop Amat in last 2 meetings, lost to Upland-see above
    Diamond Ranch
    swept by Bishop Amat in last 2 meetings
    St Francis
    swept by Bishop Amat in last 2 meetings
    Damien
    haven’t beat Amat since Pasquerella. Last year = no contest
    Bonita
    no titles since D9 in 99
    JSerra
    have NEVER won a championship or made playoffs, beat Damien
    San Clemente
    have NEVER won a championship
    Fountain Valley
    No title since 1998
    Roosevelt
    have NEVER won a championship
    Monrovia
    Lost to Glendora and San Dimas, See above. 1 championship in 118 years
    Santiago
    Beat Chino Hills, and Roosevelt. have NEVER won a championship
    Dana Hills
    Beat Santiago see above. have NEVER won a championship
    Norco
    lost to Roosevelt, Centennial, and Vista Murrietta (see them above)
    Newport Harbor
    South Hills
    It’s not the 70s anymore. Lost to Monrovia
    Charter Oak
    swept by Bishop Amat in last 2 meetings. NO significant wins since 2001?

Is it better to PLAY these teams and KNOW where you stand – or to NEVER play them and wonder?

• The Chef

JOFA,

I have also have plenty of hardware (and memories) to dust from the high school level and beyond but this blog is not about me or you and consequently it is not productive to get into a d*** measuring contest to show whose “hardware” is bigger. As you can see in my previous entry, it is my contention that this blog is a place to share positive information about SGV sports programs and a place to congratulate (and celebrate) all programs for great performances. That purpose and experience is often diminished by you and gasbag73 and others when you chose to respond to their celebration (and yes bragging) with reasons why their team is lacking and AMAT is or was far superior and they have no real reason to celebrate. The ironic thing JOFA is that you and others actually diminish the respect for AMAT when you and others do chose to respond in this manner. I would go so far as to say that when you celebrate with them the community will prosper and you will have far more readers and bloggers to respect the accomplishments of AMAT. (I am sure that you have heard that a rising tide lifts all boats). Perhaps you feel that this blog only serves to celebrate the present and past accomplishments of AMAT. If so, perhaps Fred can kindly state it as so and everyone else can take their celebration elsewhere. Fred it is your call.

• LNCR BKR

Chef – In reading between the lines of your even tempered, well though out lucid post, I can tell that you really are not an fan of all things Amat and that’s ok. It’s something you have to live to understand, But please don’t come in here to chastize the Amat Faithful regarding Amat Bragging, Amat talking down to other programs etc, etc…9 out of 10 times and as a general rule, Amat Bloggers are responding to the Hate already laid down by a previous blogger or merely trying to set the record straight regarding a mis-quoted statistician or Amat football historiian. Facts are Facts and as one of our more illustrious bloggers points out and Amat does indeed complete in a tougher division. OF COURSE there are newbies to the Amat ways who on ocassion do come on here and bang the Amat A’s on their chests while rattling their lances but I would say as a rule…it doesn’t happen all that often. We (your truly included) can be dragged into a verbal donnybrook every now and again but The real Amat Faithful know the value of what we have and we do not need to come on here and talk smack and belittle other programs “just to do it.” Keep cooking Chef but don’t be too quick to profile the patron’s that come into the restaurant.

• AMAT 73

chaf,
    Don’t know why you bring me into your beef here with AMAT because what you accuse me of is false. I have nothing but praise for our valley teams and have never berated a player or coach of any other valley team. It’s good that teams of the SGV are on the rise for all of the SGV because outside of our world ( affectionately know as the fishbowl) our brand of football is not thought of very highly other than a few of our teams . If you want to accuse me of saying AMAT is the top team in valley so be it but the record shows that is the truth . I am not one to come on here for the sake of chest thumping on how great AMAT is or was. AMAT’S record speaks for itself . If and when some of us do come on here to defend our school it’s because someone has tried to bash or berate AMAT. Why is it ok for some to come on here such as yourself and berate us after losing to Servite. Where’s the positive side on those posts. Is it because you felt you had no leg to stand on before that game or because you use the tired old reason of arrogance and so forth to justify those posts when concerning AMAT , you know the , they got what they deserved mentality of haters such as yourself . It’s strange or maybe not but I think we gained a greater deal of respect from the SGV by playing Servite even though we got it handed to us .We banished the thought of we only play teams we know we can beat which has been generated lately on AMAT due to our recent schedule. You know beating up the local schools as the haters put it . You see I can ask you , who else but AMAT in the SGV would take on that game at this time when Servite is at their peak . As you can see WC takes on PAC-5 teams and I think CO now understands the value of scheduling tougher teams for their run in the Inland so they see the value of scheduling up . CH gets it also . I saw where you were a bit chafed by Fred’s posting or lack of concerning La Serna . Is that where you got the hardware from because in all your posts you do fail to mention what your alma mater is . So maybe your a little guilty of what you are trying to lay on us also. Next time don’t stick your head so far into the oven because it is affecting your thinking.

• The Chef

Gasbag73,

You are unfortunately a victim of all of your past post. Your memory is as faded as your integrity when you say “I have nothing but praise for our valley teams and have never berated a player or coach of any other valley team.” Go back and read last years (every years) posts Gasbag and then say that. My problem is not with Amat’s football, In fact I make at least 1 Amat game a year. My issue is with those small brained supporters like you that are personally so tied to Amat’s dominance as a support system for their fragile egos that they can not stomach the concept of another team having greater success. In fact, all your congratulations for the Valley teams comes with the caveat that the success is not in the Pac-5. As for my hardware, I have already said that this blog is not about my past accomplishments and I will not stoop to self aggrandizement. But I will only say no it was not earned at La Serna.