The girls volleyball season heats up this week with two huge games, both involving Bonita. First, the Bearcats host rival San Dimas tonight (5:30 p.m.), which produced one of the most famous blog pictures ever, and then St. Lucy’s will host Bonita on Wednesday night at 5:30 p.m. I will cover the St. Lucy’s-Bonita game, and for all coaches, we’re asking that you call in results to the paper so that we can write about your teams and players throughout the season. We do no have enough staff to cover everyone we should, but we have sports desk clerk’s waiting for your to calls after the games. Simply call in your results to 626-962-8811, ext. 2242 or 2233 shortly after your matches are concluded. You can also email a short write-up to
firstname.lastname@example.org, but please do so by 9 p.m., to get in the paper the next day.
Above: It is what it is, a Tribune Classic photo caught by photographer Keith Birmingham. Whenever Bonita and San Dimas meet up, emotions are always high, and should be again for tonight’s Smudge on the floor.
TRIBUNE TOP TEN
1. St. Lucy’s (1-0) — Number one in Div. 2-AA and should be there for a while.
2. Chino Hills (1-0) – Solid win over Upland, but a long way to go.
3. Ayala (2-0) - Wins over Glendora, Upland, so maybe they’re the surprise team in the Sierra, not Claremont.
4. Bishop Amat (2-0) – One of the area’s most improved already with wins over Bonita and Monrovia.
5. Bonita (1-1) – Huge weeks for the Cats, hosting rival San Dimas tonight and visiting No. 1 St. Lucy’s on Wednesday.
6. South Hills (3-1) — Beat La Canada to finish third in the Gahr tournament behind the stellar play of Marisa Gomez, this week’s girls athlete of the week.
7. Diamond Bar (2-0) — Can they challenge Bonita in the Hacienda? They’re No. 7 in Div. 2-AA after a solid start.
8. Claremont (0-1) -- Big expectations; slow start, what else is there to say?
9. San Dimas (2-0) -- Valle Vista favorites, but not what they once were.
10. El Monte (3-0) -- So far, so good for the Mission Valley League heavyweights.