Scary thought: No. 1 West Covina healthy

West Covina High School is getting healthy at just the right time. The Bulldogs have had a touch-and-go situation with reigning Tribune Player of the Year Chris Solomon ever since he injured his ankle in the season opener against Covina, but they had to love what they saw last week when Solomon ran for 157 yards and three touchdowns in a win over Diamond Bar. (to continue click thread)

“He looked a lot like that kid last year,” West Covina head coach Mike Maggiore said. “We finally saw that same type of guy who was playing for us last year. Last week was the first week that he looked like he was comfortable.”

Despite not having a healthy Solomon for most of its nonleague schedule, the Bulldogs managed to go 3-1 and began Hacienda League play with an easy win over Diamond Bar.

In addition to Solomon, West Covina also will get back quarterback Jonathan Najera (concussion) and defensive back Aaron Franklin (broken foot). Both players haven’t played since being injured against Covina.

Maggiore and his staff also may have caught a break in terms of motivation for this week’s opponent Walnut. The previously winless Mustangs spoiled Los Altos’ undefeated last season, but at the same time showed West Covina plenty of evidence even at 1-4 they’re not to be taken lightly.

“They beat a pretty good Los Altos team that was on a roll, and that was good for us because hopefully now our guys will take them seriously,” Maggiore said of Walnut. It’s nice to have that
film because our guys need to take it serious.

“They (Walnut) have confidence now. And they’re well-coached and they play hard. I know they lost a lot of guys from last year, but they looked pretty good last week.”