Glendora feels like facing Los Osos is already an elimination game

With games still to come against Upland (5-0), Rancho Cucamonga (5-0) and Etiwanda (3-2), it’s pretty easy to see that the Glendora High School football team’s Baseline League opener Friday night against Los Osos is a must-win. And that’s how first-year Tartans coach Todd Quinsey is approaching it this week. “The reality is this week is probably an elimination game,” Quinsey said. “With Upland, Rancho and Etiwanda the top three on paper going in, I think the loser of this game is in trouble.

“It’s almost like a playoff game this week. If you win, you’ve got a shot. And if you lose, you have to beat Upland, Rancho or Etiwanda to get in (the playoffs), and that’s pretty tough on anybody.”

Glendora enters the game with a 2-3 record after playing a difficult nonleague schedule that included games against defending CIF-Southern Section champions Monrovia and West Covina, and area power Charter Oak.

Glendora lost all three of those games, but was competitive and nearly upset West Covina. The Tartans own wins over Colony and Lynwood.

“Our kids aren’t afraid of anybody,” Quinsey said. “They will play anybody. They’re looking forward to the challenge. Looking back at our season, we’ve only really played one bad half and that was against Monrovia. Since that Monrovia second half, we beat Colony, who will probably win its league, West Covina we were right with, and we beat Lynwood. Over the last month, we’re playing good football.”

The Tartans will get a boost this week with the return of defensive end/tight end Christian Schneider, who hasn’t played yet this season after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus. The 6-foot-6, 245-pound junior should make an immediate impact on defense and will be worked into the offense slowly, according to Quinsey.

“He’ll make a big difference for our defense,” Quinsey said of Schneider. “He’s going to help tremendously. Coming into the year, we thought he was going to be our best defensive player.”

This marks Glendora’s second year in the Baseline League. The Tartans lost standout quarterback Chad Jeffries early in league last year and finished just 1-4.

“The kids we have who were playing last year still have a bitter taste in their mouths about the way it ended,” Quinsey said.

“They want to make the playoffs.”

• Ryan

The Baseline League is absolutely brutal (with the exception of Alta Loma). Glendora is a tough team with a lot of pride and you can count on them to give every team they face a challenge. Unfortunately, even with a win tonight they will probably not qualify for the playoffs. Rancho Cucamonga and Upland are two of the top teams in the entire CIF Southern Section (should be a great match up between these two teams next week), and Etiwanda is not far behind. Glendora should still be in the Sierra League, where they could definitely compete for one of the three playoff spots.

• Sierra League Fan

Glendora still has a way to go to be a playoff team in the Inland division. I see them as finishing 5th in the baseline. In my opinion, they would finish 4th or 5th in the Sierra league. Glendora could get lucky and knock off Los Osos or Etiwanda but they are in deep against Rancho and Upland.