Charter Oak coach Lou Farrar keeping it real

“All I know is that I’ve got a team that’s got a thin roster, has 14 sophomores and some injuries to key players. We’re scrambling to put the best kids we can on the field. The reality of the situation is that we’re working as hard as we can to be competitive,” Charter Oak coach Lou Farrar

The Charter Oak High School football team’s blowout victory over South Hills last Friday in the Sierra League opener for both teams has caused the Chargers’ bandwagon to grow, but veteran head coach Lou Farrar has found a way to not get caught up in the hype. “My son (offensive coordinator Dom Farrar) fends off everything from the outside world,” Charter Oak coach Lou Farrar said. “I feel bad about that. If I’m out of town, the next person they go to is him.”
Farrar was out of town this weekend following Charter Oak’s 63-28 victory over the Huskies. The win, and the manner in which it happened, has many Chargers fans thinking big, even though a difficult stretch still awaits in the Sierra and presumably the Inland Division.

“All I know is that I’ve got a team that’s got a thin roster, has 14 sophomores and some injuries to key players,” Farrar said. “We’re scrambling to put the best kids we can on the field.

“The reality of the situation is that we’re working as hard as we can to be competitive.”

Needless to say, very few non-Charter Oak fans will feel sorry for Farrar’s supposed roster woes. Every week the Chargers trot out arguably the best quarterback in the area in senior Travis Santiago, who threw for two touchdowns and ran for three more in Friday’s blowout.

With South Hills out of the way, Charter Oak still has games against fellow league-title hopefuls Chino Hills and Damien. Up this week is Ayala, which has struggled to 2-4 overall and 0-1 league records.

“The first league win is always the one you want to start with,” Farrar said. “Each week, in this particular league, you can’t make any mistakes.

“We’re just trying to get to 6-1, 7-1, 8-1. If you look at our division rankings, there are so many good leagues. CIF (playoffs) is so far down the road; all we’re trying to do is get through our league and hope for the best.”

• Enough

I’m so tired of Big Lou’s rhetoric — how about saying how fortunate they’re to keep winning with so many of the neighboring schools best talent, like Santiago, Gilchrist and Vaughns. What would Charter Oak do without transfers? And how come they never get caught?

• Lou Holtz?

Two Things:

1) Are we talking about “Big Lou” Farrar or “Grannie Lou” Holtz? Come on Big Lou, you guys are talented and look very good going into the next leg of Sierra League action and eventually the Inland Division playoffs.

2) I couldn’t agree more with ENOUGH! I wish my beloved Huskies of South Hills had the Benedict Arnolds that left for CO and Bishop Amat etc…! It is painful seeing them struggle against Colony and the other team they lost to or get thumped by CO due to defections and injuries.

• realityczech

“The reality of the situation ” is Big Lou knows what’s up. He knows getting it done against Santa Fe and South Hills is WAY different than the playoffs in the Inland. Even if CO wins the Sierra, a BIG if, and draws a 3rd place team – that would be the equivalent of the BEST team they’ve faced all year!
    They will get a Los Osos, Redlands, Eisenhower, Miller, Norco, North, Santiago, Corona, Temecula Valley and the like. Chances are they’ll get the BEST of those 3rd place teams because the Sierra is viewed as the weak link in the Inland. It gets WORSE if CO doesn’t win the Sierra and protect the women and children if they come in 3rd.

• Dan

Not trying to start anything here but can you imagine how good South Hills would be if they still had Santiago, Vaughns, Gilcrest, and Valera
    to go along with Hart, Canada, Vince Hernandez[as a DB], and Sheehan? They woul be a definate threat in the Inland division.

• bigdaddy

Whatever happened to giving a coaching staff some credit? Who knows how these kids would have turned out if they stayed at SH. Besides, has anyone ever thought..why did these kids want to leave SH anyway? Also, doesn’t SH have a few former CO kids on their roster?

• Dan

I do give CO coaches credit, they got a great staff over there, I also give South Hills coaches credit and think they would have done a good job with these boys too, my whole point is having all those boys together on one team would have been pretty interesting to see, I think a team with Santiago, Hart, Canada, Vaughns, Gilcrest, Hernandez, and Sheehan might have given some of the big Inland teams a run for their money. It would be interesting but I wouldn’t want it to happen cause thats just too much talent for 1 sgv team to have.
    I thought bringing this up might ruffle a few feathers but that wasn’t my intention because the transfer debate is old and tired already.