Tribune Super 35 Rankings
1. Charter Oak (5-1) — It’s not arguable anymore, Charter Oak is the best team in the area at the midway point after thoroughly dominating South Hills. Will they be good enough to run the table in the Sierra and last a few rounds in the Inland? Who knows, but it will be fun watching them try.
2. West Covina (6-1) – Because of the contrast in styles, West Covina and Charter Oak would be this year’s dream match-up. But after watching South Hills play both West Covina and Charter Oak, Bulldogs are a distant No. 2 — for now.
3. Bishop Amat (5-2) – For the past few years Amat has touted itself as an undersized blue-collar team that rolls up its sleeves and wins when its backs are against the wall. After last week’s lost to Alemany, it’s onto Crespi in almost a do-or-die situation. You don’t want to start 0-2 in the Serra.
4. Damien (5-1) – The Spartans started the season at No. 4 and have looked like the No. 4 team, but quiz time is over, the real tests come next. How they do against South Hills, Charter Oak and Chino Hills will answer all our questions.
5. Covina (6-1) – Are they back firing on all cylinders now that Billy Livingston is back at quarterback? We shall see, no more holding back, San Dimas is in town on Friday.
6. Chino Hills (3-3) – There is not a person in the Inland Empire that doesn’t believe the Huskies could beat any of our top five, and rightfully so considering the Huskies’ schedule. But they did lose some of those games in lopsided fashion. In any case, let’s see if they can defend the Sierra.
7. San Dimas (5-1) – Absolutely dominating over the last month punctuated with the big win over Monrovia. Now comes their biggest test since then, and against the most physical team they’ve faced since a season-opening loss to Bonita.
8. Los Altos (6-1) – You have to give them credit. In what was a stunning league-opening loss to Walnut, the Conquerors answered back with big wins over Rowland and Diamond Ranch. If they keep it going against Bonita this week, you may not be so quick to dismiss their chances against West Covina.
9. South Hills (3-3) — Only .500 and coming off a 63-28 loss No. 1 Charter Oak. So what, they’re still a top ten team and a good one. Don’t be surprised when they beat Damien and go toe-to-toe with Chino Hills.
10. Arroyo (5-1) -- The Knights haven’t looked like word beaters, but they’re off to another impressive start and their only loss is to powerful Hart. If they run the table in the improved Mission Valley, then yes, I will call them a legitimate Mid-Valley contender.
The rest: 11. Claremont (4-2), 12. Glendora (2-4), 13. La Puente (6-0), 14. Diamond Ranch (3-4), 15. Pomona (4-3), 16. El Monte (4-2), 17. Bonita (2-4), 18. Ayala (2-4), 19. Diamond Bar (2-4), 20. Walnut (2-5), 21. Azusa (3-3), 22. South El Monte (5-1), 23. Rosemead (3-3), 24. Rowland (2-4), 25. Nogales (3-4), 26. Duarte (4-1), 27. Baldwin Park (2-5), 28. Northview (1-5), 29. Workman (3-3), 30. Mountain View (3-3), 31. Sierra Vista (3-3), 32. Wilson (0-5), 33. Gladstone (1-5), 34. Ganesha (1-5), 35. Bassett (1-5).