Diamond Bar coach Ryan Maine on meeting with Walnut: “I told our seniors this is our last chance to make a mark on the Branding Iron.”

Diamond Bar coach Ryan Maine is well aware Los Altos’ win over Diamond Ranch gave his team a bit more postseason hope than it had at this time a week ago, but Maine also is aware the new life is something his team can’t squander. The Brahmas are 2-4 overall and 0-2 in the Hacienda League, with losses to West Covina and Diamond Ranch. With games still to come against Walnut and Los Altos, the Brahmas can put themselves squarely in the playoff race and possibly even in second place if everything falls just right.

“We’re in must-win situations now,” Maine said. “You’ve got West Covina at 3-0 (in league), then Diamond Ranch, Los Altos and Walnut (all 2-1) tied for second. The Los Altos win (over Diamond Ranch) shook everything up.

“Now we’re in must-win situations because these games could be the difference between the fifth-place team and not making the playoffs or being the fourth-place team and getting in.

“On any given Friday, the standings could change dramatically. We now have an opening to maybe grab that No. 3 or even No. 2 spot (in league).”

Diamond Bar’s would-be revival must start this week at rival Walnut in The Branding Iron game. The Brahmas and Mustangs became rivals in 1982 when half the students at Walnut High were sent to the then-newly opened Diamond Bar High. The Brahmas haven’t beaten the Mustangs since 2008, and doing so Friday would mean big things.

“This is more of your historical and traditional rivalry,” Maine said of the Walnut game. “Diamond Ranch is more of an emotional, new rivalry. They engrave the scores on the Branding Iron, and it goes in the front office of the school that wins it.

“I told our seniors this is our last chance to make a mark on the Branding Iron.”

The Brahmas spent last week’s bye getting linebacker Troy Lanning (concussion) cleared to play and running back Jamaal Clayton (ankle) healthier. Diamond Bar also got clearance from the CIF- Southern Section office for rapper Snoop Dogg’s son Cordell Broadus to play on the varsity team. The school didn’t submit eligibility paperwork to CIF for Cordell’s older brother Corde to become eligible after both transferred from Long Beach Poly earlier this month.

Cordell, only a freshman, may be on the varsity roster this Friday as a wide receiver. Corde, also a receiver, played special teams while at Long Beach Poly. No reason was given as to why the school hasn’t submitted paperwork to CIF for Corde Broadus.