Chino Hills sweeps defending champ St. Lucy’s, puts Regents Sierra title celebration on hold

By Clay Fowler, Staff Writer
Sweeps are en vogue in the Sierra League volleyball race, and not necessarily from expected sources. Chino Hills High School, coming off the wrong end of a sweep last week that dropped it to third place, kept the trend alive Tuesday with a three-game victory over first-place St. Lucy’s, 25-18, 25-17, 25-15.

After losing just one league match all of last season en route to an appearance in the CIF-SS Division 2AA championship game, Chino Hills (20-8, 5-3) lost consecutive five-game league matches earlier this month. When the Huskies were swept last week by a hard-charging Claremont team that has moved into second place in league, it only elevated the stakes for its final meeting with St. Lucy’s (15-5, 6-2), a match that needs no added spice after these teams shared the 2010 league title.

“It’s stuff that we never thought would happen to us this season,” Chino Hills coach Dana Buzzerio said. “This was a must-win for morale, if nothing else.”

Chino Hills, ranked 10th in CIF-SS Division 2AA, pulled within a game of No. 4

St. Lucy’s, whose final match of the regular season is Thursday at last-place Covina Charter Oak.

Chino Hills has matches with South Hills and Charter Oak remaining. “Coming off this win is a good way to go into the last part of the regular season,” Buzzerio said.

• Go Regents

St. Lucy’s has been in a downward slump. They lost to Clarmont, almost lost to South Hills on Friday night and then just lost to Chino Hills. However, St. Lucy’s has the title. What is in question is will they have the title alone or will it be shared with Claremont.

St. Lucy’s only has 2 losses for the season (Still a big surprise and let down since they were ranked #1 in CIF). Claremont is tied for 1st with St. Lucy’s right now with 2 losses and Chino Hills even with this win last night has 3 losses (St. Lucy’s, South Hills & Claremont).

Come on Regents. You can do this. There is lots of talent but they lack leadership within the team right now. They need to get out of their heads, play their game and do what you set out to do.