Azusa hopes its better prepared this time

“We feel that we can compete with this team. They’re big and we haven’t seen a line this big all season. They played Maranatha and beat them because they were able to run the ball right over Maranatha. We feel we have a good scheme in for them and that we’ll be able to matchup.” Azusa coach Joe Scherf on their first-round chances against Valley Christian.

Despite taking a different path, Azusa High School feels like it arrived at the same destination as last year as it pertains to the Aztecs’ draw in the CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley Division football playoffs. Azusa, which finished 7-3 and won the Montview League, will host an Olympic League team in the first round for the second consecutive season. The Aztecs play Cerritos Valley Christian (4-6) on Friday at Citrus College. Azusa played Village Christian of Sun Valley and lost in last year’s first round.

“We kind of figured we would get Valley Christian because record-wise, they’re the worst second-place team,” Azusa coach Joe Scherf said. “And for us, we felt that out of all the No. 1 teams (league champions), we thought we were the fifth or fourth No. 1 team.

“They’re (Olympic League) definitely good teams. They have size and speed. It’s one of those things where we stepped our schedule, we played better and our record got a little bit worse and we’re still in the same position that we were in last year anyways. It’s a little disappointing.”

Don’t be fooled by Valley Christian’s mediocre record. The Crusaders played a tough nonleague schedule and once in league were good enough to hand Maranatha one of its two losses this season. They also knocked off Village Christian.

What has Scherf concerned the most is the Crusaders’ size. Not helping matters is the Aztecs lost arguably their best defensive player in Luis Nunez for the season last week because of a knee injury. Key offensive lineman Oscar Ramos also was injured against La Puente but is expected to play.

“We feel that we can compete with this team,” Scherf said. “They’re big and we haven’t seen a line this big all season. They played Maranatha and beat them because they were able to run the ball right over Maranatha. We feel we have a good scheme in for them and that we’ll be able to matchup.

“We’re playing with a confidence. We had a great practice on Monday, the kids were so pumped. They could care less who they’re playing.”

• billyb

GO AZTECS!!!

• aztecs fan

Aztecs losing Nunez does hurt their defense, but their defense still has a lot of talent, led by their big linebacker #5

• AZTEC PRIDE(SUPPORTER)

First AZTEC FANS, let’s all thank FRED ROBLEDO for putting up ARTICLES like these up and it always good to see them and read! Makes the big games just a little more intresting! GOOD LOOKING FRED!

Alright Coach Scherf, here we go and your 100% correct about getting a FIRST ROUND TOUGH DRAW! This has to be one of the HARDEST FIRST ROUNDS any team is playing in the Mid Valley! Losing LUIS NUNEZ was sad to see and it’s to bad he can’t play no more.

If AZUSA comes out and plays like they did for the MONTVIEW LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP, AZUSA should pull this off! Coach, AZUSA always seems to play bigger teams in the playoffs and have had sucess in the past, but also lost to bigger teams. Coach, let’s have our A game that night and play a mistake free game. Minumize the turnovers and false starts for the offense and tell the oline try not to HOLD!Penalties will stall the offense, and instead of going forward,you’ll end up going backwards!BOTTOMLINE those are drive killers, and AZUSA will need to score quickly!

Defense let’s make the tackles and pressure the quarterback and if their a running team, well stack the box! DB’s must defend and if they have decent recievers will have to be as fast! Special teams and most importanly the KICKER! Pleaaaaase no darn squib kicks that places the team on the fifty! Alright AZUSA, GOOD LUCK and yes I believe you can win. You have all the players to do this, from what I observed last Friday!

Okay, ALL AZUSA FANS, let’s all come out Friday and support the AZUSA AZTECS and be the 12th MAN!

GET’EM READY COACH SCHERF!

NOT THIS TIME! WE’LL GO INTO THE SECOND ROUND!

AZUSA FOOTBALL!

• Azusa Fan

I’ve seen all of the games this year and I think overall Azusa has a pretty good team this year. Not as talented as last year, but I think they have a better run game, and the defense is coming around. No matter what you say, losing #8 is a big dissapointment, especially for their defense. Not sure #5 is their best defensive player either.
    If Valley Christian is as big as Scherf says, that scares me a little bit. Teams that have knowcked us out of the playoffs have typically been bigger lines than us. I still like are odds, but not by much.
    I really do hope we win this week, being knocked out in the first week last year really sucked after having the thanksgiving game the prior two years. I guess I’ve gotten spoiled, since we never had gotten there before. Good luck to the boys Friday, play hard, and lay it all on the line. The fans believe in you.
    I think the final score will be something like 24-21, very close, and well played game. It will probably come down to the very end.

• Billy G

billyb get off the bandwagon, all in favor of having billyb removed please comment…

• BIG TIME

Imagine Azusa even being close to competitive amongst this group Azusa wouldn’t even register.
    Redlands(4-6)
    #1 Corona Centennial (9-1)
    Los Osos (6-4)
    Chaparral (6-4)
    Chino Hills
    Rancho Cucamonga (9-1)
    Norco (6-4)
    #4 Redlands East Valley (10-0)
    Murrieta Valley (7-3)
    #3 Upland (10-0)
    Corona Santiago (7-3)
    Charter Oak (9-1)
    Yucaipa (9-1)
    Riverside North (9-1)
    Damien (7-3)
    #2 Vista Murrieta (5-5)

This ain’t no MONTVIEW LEAGUE!!!!

• Jefe

GO CRUSADERS!!!

• azusa cheerleader

azusa sucks! They are the “montview” league champs. That means if they were in any other league they would not even make the playoffs. azusa does not have a chance…………

• azusa cheeraleedaa

azusa $usck$!!! they won the “montview” league championship. That means, if they were in any other league they would not make the playoffs

• AZTEC PRIDE(SUPPORTER)

Jefe, you are a complete Fool! JUST LIKE THESE OTHER MORONS!

azusa cheerleader said:

November 16, 2011 4:16 PM
    Jefe said:
    GO CRUSADERS!!!

November 16, 2011 3:45 PM
    BIG TIME said:
    Redlands(4-6)
    #1 Corona Centennial (9-1)
    Los Osos (6-4)
    Chaparral (6-4)
    Chino Hills
    Rancho Cucamonga (9-1)
    Norco (6-4)
    #4 Redlands East Valley (10-0)
    Murrieta Valley (7-3)
    #3 Upland (10-0)
    Corona Santiago (7-3)
    Charter Oak (9-1)
    Yucaipa (9-1)
    Riverside North (9-1)
    Damien (7-3)
    #2 Vista Murrieta (5-5)

AZUSA FANS pay no attention to these idiots, who come on HERE showing their CHILDISH foolishness and we all know it makes them feel better with their insults pounding on their chest!

• Afterall

Yeah afterall your the MONTVIEW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS x4 a step above freshman ball.

• Colt19

Yes, please ban billyb. He sucks!

• Enough Already

You Azusa honks remind me of the Star News People who brag about Rio Hondo prep. Hate to break it to you both but you guys don’t play anyone.

• AZTEC PRIDE(SUPPORTER)

ENOUGH ALREADY, HONKS,HAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAH Now were being called HONKS? I believe that term is used on the AMAT FOLKS. HAHAHAHAHA….

ENOUGH ALREADY, okay were going to stop on cheering because you say so. YOU HATERS…LOL.. THAT’S THE BEST YOU CAN DO? WEAK… HAHAHHAA..

AZUSA FOOTBALL…

• No more billyb

I too would like to see billyb banned from the blogs. His input is often negative and ridiculous. No more billy!

• enough already is dumb

they dont play anyone, what games are you watching, i saw another group of boys playing them in different color jersey’s……oh wait, were you making a joke or something or trying to make a statement….oooohh watch out, tell us something new!! same old trash talk..blah blah blah, azusa plays nobody…oooohh i guess you have nothing orginal to say, good job!! my nephew plays for long beach poly, and guess what?? they will crush your team anyday! you know why??? becuasecompared to them your team plays nobody!! what do you, let people be proud of their sons city, and the boys are having a great time enjoying there youth, as long as they stay off the streets and do somthing positive who are you to judge!!!! good luck to all the team s in cif!!! you all earned it!!

• Enough Already

@ enough already is dumb
    Yes I agree Long Beach Poly would crush Azusa thanks for making my point, Excellent!
    Thanks

• Banned!

Nice! It appears billyb has been banned from the boards now! Good to see him go, never liked that guy anyways.

• Beg To Differ

I beg to differ with you people that say Azusa hasn’t played anybody that’s just silly.
    They played San Dimas, Maranatha, and Don Lugo and got their butts handed to them.

• AZTEC PRIDE(SUPPORTER)

Alright, popped in to see the latest sillyness, because that’s all it is! You think for one minute those players pictured on here can give a HOOT,(nice word),what some of you AKA NOBODIES, are coming in here with no names? no school representation,NO NOTHING! The best thing your little brain can conjure up with, is your drive-by posting of IDIOTIC PORPORTIONS! Your put downs of AZUSA’S League Champions and what they’ve been accomplishing over these years are insulting to the FOOTBALL COACHES, Football players and everybody in AZUSA!

So think a little before you hit the submit button, and don’t be a COWARD! I’ve been a Fan for quiet sometime for AZUSA, and following the program for quiet awhile now. AZUSA is headed in the right direction, and for you to state they play nobody is completely absurd and YOU obiviously not from AZUSA!

AZTEC PRIDE, will be at Citrus College rooting for the AZTECS Friday night, and hell yes I want them to win and if any of you DOUBTERS want to see some good football, I will personaly invite you to come out and watch them, so you can judge for yourselves on what i’ve been watching for years now!

AZUSA, is playing by far the HARDEST PLAYOFF GAME and will have to have it’s A game, so let’s practice hard AZTECS and GOOD LUCK FRIDAY NIGHT!

Alright AZUSA FANS, let’s come out full force and be the 12th man!

GET’EM READY COACHES,PRACTICE HARD!

AZUSA FOOTBALL. MONTVIEW LEAGUE CHAMPIONSX4!

• Earplugs Please

Will someone give AZTEC PRIDE MONTVIEW LEAGUE CHAMPION x4 a bottle and changes his diaper I’m tired of hearing him whine.
    Hey CHAMP even if you drew Maranatha or San Dimas again in the first round you’d still get your backside handed to you!!
    Aztec Pride is like hearing the bully brag about beating up little guys like the Ganesha’s and the Bassett’s of the world and then walk away with an inflated ego bragging about it.
    We will all be happy after Friday because he will actually have play somebody got his butt kicked and be sucking his thumb all day Saturday.

• AZTEC PRIDE(SUPPORTER)

EARPLUGS PLEASE?

You my friend are a weak individual! I mean don’t you see the ARTICLE, it’s about AZUSA, you fool. Looks like you can’t wait for me to post something, so you can follow right behind me and say something sarcastic, what a joke you are. Your the same person using different aliases and following me around like a litte puppy. Be unique and come up with your(OWN) material! Be a leader, quit following AP’s tracks AND TRYING TO BE FUNNY , with your lame azz jokes. You got nothing and like I said on my last post, put something down about who your rolling with? Don’t be a frighten little child sucking his thumb, step up to the mic and tells us something about your little pathetic self, and quit with the AZTEC PRIDE jokes. Sounds stupid and very kiddie like. By the way how old are? I can see this coming from a adolencence but you sound like a grown man probably wearing those skinny jeans kids are now sporting! LOL..

By the way you know were you can put that THUMB at!

AZTEC PRIDE!

• Just Saying

“Be unique and come up with your(OWN) material!”

“Don’t be a frighten little child sucking his thumb”

Talk about being original !!!

• AZTEC PRIDE

Using another name? Hahahahaha, The next time you post SOMETHING, try using this name. I’m a spineless fool!

Dig deeper, I know you can do better then that!

• Philly B.

Well ear plugs please has a valid point, its one thing to play a top tier team and its another to beat them. Good for you that you played….marantha..bad for you that you couldnt beat them. Yeah Azusa is the league champs, but Azusa has gone undefeated only to lose in the playoffs and not go past the first or second round. Tell the AD to step the strength of schedule and then tell the coach to step up his game a bit and beat some teams worth talking about. Look at monrovia, scheduled Glendora, Arcadia, San Dimas, And Paramount. Arcadia beat that ass but they trade wins every year, either team has beaten the other two years in a row, glendora, monrovia beat them this year when the offense had no identity, san dimas whooped that a$$ of monrovia, but they know if they face monrovia in the finals itll be a diff team they face.

Not trying to diss azusa, but its hard for me to take them serious come playoff time because of the league that their in. Monrovia has played the the holy war teams of the olympic and beat them, pass happy almont league teams and beat them, and beat a very well coached SD team.

If Azusa beats Valley Christian…I mean…I’ll stfu(shut the f*** up). But I already know they wont, not hating just an opinion that will be a fact come friday night!!!!
    GO CATS
    Fred, Aram, You know Im speaking knowledge right now

• AZTEC PRIDE

Phily b.

AZUSA, has made it pass the second round two seasons ago! They played Covina and then played San Marino! Played SAN DIMAS in the SEMI’S and AZUSA lost. By the way PHILIY DEEE’S, That’s THE YEAR SAN DIMAS beat your CATS in the CHAMPIONSHIP game! oooooohhhhh HOW SOON WE FORGET! HAHAHAHAHA…. PHILY do your homework!

REMEMBER THE RAIN?

AZTEC PRIDE, ALL DAY LONG…

• Just Saying

“Using another name? Hahahahaha, The next time you post SOMETHING, try using this name. I’m a spineless fool!”

AZTEC PRIDE or AZTEC PRIDE (Supporter) which is it? Practice what you preach fool!!!

• Philly B

Yeah I remember the rain AZtec Pride. But know your place, azusa is trying to get where the wildcats already have been to. Defending CIF champs, not runner up or semi finalist. Azusa made a run two seasons ago. But Monrovia has been consistently deep in the playoffs with Maddox. know that!

• AZTEC PRIDE(SUPPORTER)

PHILY, yes i know my place and how can I not when clowns like JS, keeping reminding me that the AZTECS suck and whatever else he throws in.JOKE! Phily AZUSA continues to make the playoffs each year since Scherf, took over THE PROGRAM from Schuster, who’s now at Monrovia I believe. and you going to tell me they SUCK! Hell no they don’t suck and if they get by San Dimas, well guess what they would have played Monrovia in the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. So this team from the MONTVIEW LEAGUE has been doing something every year!

Good talking to you PHILY, and atleast somebody can talk real FOOTBALL, other then this stupid nonsense!

GOOD LUCK AZUSA.

AZTEC PRIDE!

• billb

Nice to see I have such a wide fan base. By the way bandwagon? bandwagon? I have been an ardent (look it up) Azusa supporter for over 25 years. I think I may have started the band.
    BIG TIME I guess APU should be able to play with USC by your standards.
    Colt whatever wah wah wah.
    Aztec Pride kepp up the good blogging.

• Transfers

look around all you Azusa Haters EVERY Team in the Mid Valley Division has a player or two who pretends to live in another city. if those boys would stay put all your mouths would by tied shout!

• Just Saying

“AZUSA continues to make the playoffs each year since Scherf, took over THE PROGRAM from Schuster”
    Well duh your in the Montview and you play nobody!!!!
    CONGRATS TO YOU Aztec Pride MONTVIEW LEAGUE CHAMPION x4!!!
    Play somebody and BEAT them then come in here and beat your chest until then AZTEC PRIDE your a fool!!!

• Aztec c/o 2010

It’s funny how I see all of these trash talkers everywhere on here. But you have no right to trash talk on these young men that go out on the field and work hard for that WIN.! If you don’t like Azusa it’s very simple keep on scrolling and don’t mind this article. Because your negative input is definitely not necessary. Oh and the day these Aztecs prove all you haters wrong that will be day that all of you fools will shut your mouths for good. I’m not saying that day will come tomorrow or even this season but soon enough that day will come. Let’s enjoy some good football tonight at Citrus College and let’s hope for the best with our Aztecs. Because the best support these boys have is the people in the stands cheering them on.
    “Once an Aztec Always an Aztec”

• CoViNa

Azusa best of luck today, who cares what all these haters say about you guys. Play with that pride and tradition that you guys know about. Get it done tonight. Represent the SGV to the fullest. And finally, heres to you guys moving into the VVL, and getting out of the Montview league.

• AZTEC PRIDE

I’ll say this to COVINA! That’s pretty cool of you to make a comment like that! Best of Luck to Covina also. Have a great playoff run and it looks like you’ll be bringing home that CIF plaque!

GOOD LUCK ~C~ TOWN…