San Dimas knows it faces a different Azusa in Friday’s Mid-Valley Division quarterfinals

“I think our parents are thinking it’s going to be the same Azusa, but our kids are pretty dialed in. Our kids saw them in person and saw them on film. I think it’s basically trying to get our parents to believe that they’re going to be good, too. They’re two different groups.” — San Dimas coach Bill Zernickow

It’s hard to imagine San Dimas High School would be at any disadvantage Friday when the Saints play the same Azusa team they beat by 25 points on Sept. 8 in the second round of the CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley Division playoffs. But some disadvantages can be of the mental variety, and nobody knows how true the age-old adage “it’s hard to beat the same twice in the same season” better than Saints coach Bill Zernickow. (To continue click thread)

If San Dimas’ recent battles with Monrovia have taught any lessons, it’s the loser of the first game gives a much better account of itself in the second one. Zernickow has to hope things will be different as it pertains to Azusa.

“They’re tremendously improved,” Zernickow said of Azusa. “The quarterback (Jake Martinez) is extremely hot. When you play somebody Week 1 and then they have the whole season to improve, they’re going to improve a ton.”

San Dimas and Azusa enter Friday’s game at Citrus College as two of the hotter teams in the division. The Aztecs (8-3) have won eight consecutive games since starting 0-3. San Dimas (9-2) has won nine of its last 10 games.

Convincing his players that Azusa will fare a much better shot on Friday night hasn’t been hard for Zernickow. The Saints players’ parents are a different story, though.

“I think our parents are thinking it’s going to be the same Azusa, but our kids are pretty dialed in,” Zernickow said. “Our kids saw them in person and saw them on film. I think it’s basically trying to get our parents to believe that they’re going to be good, too. They’re two different groups.”

Azusa opened the playoffs by beating Valley Christian 35-14. San Dimas beat San Marino 31-21, but the game was in doubt late and some area fans think the Saints are vulnerable.

“If we play four games like that in a row right now, I’ll take it,” Zernickow said of the San Marino win. “It’s the playoffs, man. We just need to win by one.”

• SD MOM

GO SAINTS!!! no matter the outcome you guys have had a great run, CIF for 4 yrs in a row 2009 champions, most kids never get a Ring, but the Saints do!!!! Congratulations boys…. beat those Aztecs!!!

• A Fan

Come on Aztecs!!!!! you’ve worked so hard, i know you guys can do it!!! Woo!! We’ll all be cheering for you in the stands!

• Aztec Alumni

It should be a good game, no matter who wins. Good luck to both squads.

• AZTEC PRIDE

THAT’S RIGHT BABY!!! RAISE THOSE FINGERS UP! FOUR TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS, AZUSA! H*LL YES PROUD TO BE OF PART THAT AND WITNESS THE ACCOMPLISHMENT! GREAT JOB AZUSA AND YES IM WRITING ALL IN CAPS AND SHOUTING IT OUT! MAN, IF YOU CANT BE PUMP UP FOR THIS, THEN YOU MUST NOT LOVE THE GAME OF FOOTBALL! THIS IS AWESOME AND THE GAME SHOULD BE GREAT! COME ON AZUSA FANS, LETS ALL COME OUT AND CHEER ON THE AZTECS! CITRUS COLLEGE IS OUR HOUSE AND LETS REPRESENT WELL! HOPEFULLY IT WONT BE TO COLD, WERE FANS ARE JUST SITTING THEIR NUMB! THE AZTECS FEED OFF THE FANS, SO LETS FIRE UP THEIR ADRENALIN AND HELP THEM OUT!

Alright Coaches, you know this will be the biggest game in front of you yet and the AZTECS have to play smart bottom line. Both the OFFENSE & DEFENSE must bring their A game! Defense be quick to the ball and dont be drawn off sides! Offense watch the ball and dont get called for HOLDING & Illegal motion, they are DRIVE KILLERS! Jake Martinez and Desmond Reed, score quickly and dont look back! #5 PEREZ, PLAY EXACTLY LIKE YOU DID LAST FRIDAY, because you played great! Great to see AZUSA once again playing in the second round and yes Fred has selected and Ive been here for four years,FRED KNOWS FOOTBALL!

AZTEC PRIDE, ALL WEEK LONG!

GETEM READY SCHERF!

AZUSA AZTEC FOOTBALL!

MONTVIEW LEAGUE CHAMPIONSX4!

• AZTEC PRIDE

One more thing! THAT IS A SWEET PHOTO AND THAT SHOULD BE AZUSAS TRADEMARK FOR NOW ON!