Girls Soccer: Duran-Duran leads San Dimas past Sierra Vista 2-1 to win Ganesha tourney title

San Dimas sisters Maribel and Daisy Duran each scored and the Saints hung on to defeat Sierra Vista 2-1 to win the Ganesha tournament title on Monday. Maribel scored in the first half and Daisy made it 2-0 midway through the second half. The Dons scored late to make it closer. In the morning semifinal games, San Dimas advanced on penalty kicks against Birmingham Charter after a 2-2 tie. Sierra Vista advanced with a 3-0 win over Keppel.

By John Sherrard, Correspondent
POMONA
— The San Dimas High School girls soccer team had to work overtime in the semifinals just to get into the Ganesha Tournament championship game Monday afternoon.
But once there, the Saints, ranked third in CIF Southern Section Division 6, made sure they won in regulation as the Duran sisters, Maribel and Daisy, both scored goals, defeating a tough Sierra Vista team, 2-1.

San Dimas (9-2-1) had to come from behind in the semis against Birmingham of Van Nuys with a late penalty kick from sophomore Anette Montalvo to tie the score. After seven rounds of PKs, senior defender Lauren Toneck scored to send the Saints to the title game.

“Last year we won our own tournament and this year we took third and that was a little disappointing,” San Dimas coach Kelly Kokalis said. “So that was our thing today. We said, ‘Let’s take of this (Ganesha Tournament) one,’ so we did.”

The San Dimas defense, led by sophomore Morgan Quaternik and Lauren Toneck, held sophomore sensation Jessica Lopez of Sierra Vista (4-1-2) without a goal, but the 2010 All-CIF player had her chances.

“We tried to man-mark her (Jessica Lopez) with someone staying on her all the time,” Toneck said.

In the 10th minute, Lopez, who has seven goals, took a pass from junior forward Magali Moreno, but shot it at Saints goalkeeper Britain Chaputa.

Both teams defended well midway through the half on a very muddy and sloppy field, but in the 16th minute, senior midfielder Lindsey Toneck, twin sister of Lauren Toneck, gathered the ball just inside the midfield line. She found Maribel Duran in the attacking third along the sidelines and Duran outran her defender easily to score.

“I’m used to playing with Lindsey in club and we play on the same side, so when I saw her get the ball I knew I had to make my run,” Maribel Duran said. “I looked up and the goalie wasn’t marking her front post so it was an easy pass to the front (of the net).”

Maribel’s sister Daisy added an important insurance tally in what turned out to be the deciding goal in the 56th minute on a one-touch goal from a corner kick taken by Jeanette Jiimenez to make it 2-0.

In the 57th minute Sierra Vista junior midfielder Cynthia Hernandez scored after a scramble in front of the net.