Girls Soccer: Duran-Duran leads San Dimas past Sierra Vista 2-1 to win Ganesha tourney title

San Dimas sisters Maribel and Daisy Duran each scored and the Saints hung on to defeat Sierra Vista 2-1 to win the Ganesha tournament title on Monday. Maribel scored in the first half and Daisy made it 2-0 midway through the second half. The Dons scored late to make it closer. In the morning semifinal games, San Dimas advanced on penalty kicks against Birmingham Charter after a 2-2 tie. Sierra Vista advanced with a 3-0 win over Keppel.

By John Sherrard, Correspondent
POMONA
— The San Dimas High School girls soccer team had to work overtime in the semifinals just to get into the Ganesha Tournament championship game Monday afternoon.
But once there, the Saints, ranked third in CIF Southern Section Division 6, made sure they won in regulation as the Duran sisters, Maribel and Daisy, both scored goals, defeating a tough Sierra Vista team, 2-1.

San Dimas (9-2-1) had to come from behind in the semis against Birmingham of Van Nuys with a late penalty kick from sophomore Anette Montalvo to tie the score. After seven rounds of PKs, senior defender Lauren Toneck scored to send the Saints to the title game.

“Last year we won our own tournament and this year we took third and that was a little disappointing,” San Dimas coach Kelly Kokalis said. “So that was our thing today. We said, ‘Let’s take of this (Ganesha Tournament) one,’ so we did.”

The San Dimas defense, led by sophomore Morgan Quaternik and Lauren Toneck, held sophomore sensation Jessica Lopez of Sierra Vista (4-1-2) without a goal, but the 2010 All-CIF player had her chances.

“We tried to man-mark her (Jessica Lopez) with someone staying on her all the time,” Toneck said.

In the 10th minute, Lopez, who has seven goals, took a pass from junior forward Magali Moreno, but shot it at Saints goalkeeper Britain Chaputa.

Both teams defended well midway through the half on a very muddy and sloppy field, but in the 16th minute, senior midfielder Lindsey Toneck, twin sister of Lauren Toneck, gathered the ball just inside the midfield line. She found Maribel Duran in the attacking third along the sidelines and Duran outran her defender easily to score.

“I’m used to playing with Lindsey in club and we play on the same side, so when I saw her get the ball I knew I had to make my run,” Maribel Duran said. “I looked up and the goalie wasn’t marking her front post so it was an easy pass to the front (of the net).”

Maribel’s sister Daisy added an important insurance tally in what turned out to be the deciding goal in the 56th minute on a one-touch goal from a corner kick taken by Jeanette Jiimenez to make it 2-0.

In the 57th minute Sierra Vista junior midfielder Cynthia Hernandez scored after a scramble in front of the net.

• Soccer?!?!

Did everyone see that Sierra Vista beat a team 15-0!!! What lesson are you teaching your girls coach? And yes, I’m talking to you SoccerLvr, we all know you’re the coach! What a joke! I hope someone gives you an ass-whooping like that at some point this season so you can see what it feels like. Shame on you!

There are more lessons to be taught in high school soccer than winning. Humility and empathy are two of them. You should be disciplined by your administration for a score like that. Maybe 5 was enough? 10? 12? You could/should have called off the dogs and worked on switching the point of attack, combining passes, or any of a dozen other points of emphasis for good soccer. This was a tournament, right? Don’t you stop getting points after like 5 goals? Terrible. Hope it was worth it.

• ***AM***

Fred:

Do you have any idea why the San Dimas Girls Soccer Coach resigned and why the San Dimas Boys Water Polo Coach in a span of two weeks?

• 15-0?

Leave One on the Line
    A Finnish team’s gesture in 1968 may give direction in 21st Century blowouts
    By Keith Conners, Victoria Brooks and Amanda Brooks

Flashback: It is August of 1968. Middlebury College?s soccer team, one of the first American teams to play in Europe ? and the first ever to play behind the Iron Curtain ? has a match in Helsinki, Finland, against a first or second division (semi-pro) club team. On the first play of the game, Middlebury?s keeper dives for a save and breaks his collarbone. Since the reserve keeper is playing in another match on the other side of Helsinki, a field player is drafted to play in the goal.

Despite heroic efforts by this converted forward, the score is 10-0 early in the second half. Coach Joe Morrone, who would go on to become one of college soccer?s winningest coaches at the University of Connecticut, abandons the idea of breaking his clipboard and turns his attention to supporting the battered psyches of his players. The Middlebury team rallies, thanks to a Finnish mistake, and scores a late goal, but winds up losing 12-1.

What a young fullback on the overmatched Middlebury team remembers most about the match is a sequence of short passes late in the game in which the Finns worked the ball right into the American team?s goal mouth. Instead of tapping in a 12-inch shot, the Finnish striker simply left the ball on the goal line. He trapped the ball with the sole of his shoe and then nonchalantly jogged back toward midfield. There was no taunting, no appeal to the spectators for special recognition. He just left it there.

After the match, the Middlebury squad joined the Finnish team at its training facility for a genuine sauna, a sumptuous meal and some international socializing. For the American players, Helsinki was one of the highlights of the trip, despite losing by a very lopsided score. The act of leaving the ball on the line seems, in retrospect, an extraordinarily powerful yet subtle statement about the team?s mastery of the sport and about the players? humanity.

The match described above was, by any definition, a blowout. The magnitude of the score differential is ample evidence that one team demonstrated its superiority over the other. Similarly one-sided scorelines are found in the results of youth league, high school and college games every week. Unfortunately for many teams, the soccer runaway experience is frequently more stressful than it was for the Middlebury team 28 years ago.

Anyone who has played soccer for any length of time has undoubtedly been on both sides of this scoreline. It?s not much fun to lose under any circumstances, but it?s especially difficult when an opponent runs up the score. Players are brought face-to-face with their shortcomings, and their confidence erodes. Even the winning team tends to suffer a bit in a lopsided game. Some players feel badly for friends on the losing team. Others may feel shortchanged because they received less playing time when the coach cleared the bench, or because they didn?t get a chance to play as competitively as they would have liked.

Attending to players? bruised feelings and self-esteem is a difficult but important job for losing coaches in blowout games. They have to put aside their own feelings of frustration and find positive outcomes from an unpleasant experience. In soccer, as in any learning situation, success is a vital element in improvement. Yet it?s a real struggle to find ways to have players perceive anything about a one-sided loss in positive terms.

What can players, coaches and organizers do to avoid blowouts? And if one-sided contests can?t be completely eliminated, how can we minimize their negative effects? Our purpose in writing this piece is not to deliver the definitive answer for handling blowout situations, but to sample opinion, invite reflection, stimulate discussion and perhaps generate some constructive strategies for handling games involving mismatched teams. To that end, some thoughts from a coach and two players:

Most winning coaches dislike blowouts, too, although there are some who seem to revel in running up the score on an overmatched team. Many strong teams get into bad playing habits when they face an inferior opponent, and sometimes these patterns may come back to haunt the team when it faces a more evenly matched side. Coaches on the winning side have to confront attitudinal issues as well. Just as losing teams suffer from eroded confidence and low selfesteem, a winning team may find arrogance, laziness or poor sportsmanship among its players.
    Frequently coaches of stronger teams will impose restrictions on their own players in an effort to hold down the score. Although this strategy may succeed in restricting scoring, the psychological effect may be every bit as insulting to the weaker team if the coach and players flout their restrictions in a condescending way. (For some creative approaches to player restrictions, see sidebar.)
    League or tournament rules sometimes have the effect of compounding the blowout situation. If teams are rewarded with higher seedings or tie-breaker advantages for goals scored or goal differential, there is a disincentive to keep the score from becoming one-sided. As a result, some organizers have opted for ?fewest goals allowed? as the primary criterion for seeding, rather than ?most goals scored.?
    Ironically, many players and coaches who would describe themselves as ?competitive? would really rather win than compete. Coaches need to remind themselves and their players that true competition necessarily involves evenly matched opponents in contests where real uncertainty exists about who will prevail. If we find ourselves enjoying the easy wins more than the hotly contested, hard-fought losses then we may be fairly typical, but we?re probably not ?competitive.? Too many blowout wins ? especially if they are excessively glorified by coaches, parents and fans ? may dilute an athlete?s taste for the legitimate struggle of real competition.
    A junior soccer team in Bucharest, Romania, abandoned the field with two minutes remaining in a game because fans threatened to strip the players naked if they gave up two more goals. With the score already 16-0, the team apparently took the fans at their word and fled to the locker room.

More than a quarter century has elapsed between the Middlebury College loss in Helsinki and the recent incident in Bucharest. Blowouts continue to occur. We are not likely to eradicate them entirely from soccer or any other sport. But there is at least one former player who finds considerably more dignity in the Finnish strategy of ?leaving one on the line? than the Romanian ?solution.?

?Shoot with the weaker foot? and other low-scoring ideas

What can the winning team do to keep the score down while still playing good soccer and benefiting from the experience? Here?s a list of possible conditions and restrictions that coaches and players can accept to help balance the competitive situation on the field and still play hard. The list is arranged in approximate order of difficulty:

Change positions, including keeper.
    Shoot only with weaker foot.
    Score only after successfully executing give-and-go in the offensive third of the field.
    Make 10 consecutive passes before attacking the goal.
    No one may score until a designated player scores.
    Enforce two-touch passing limitation.
    Allow two-touch passing in defensive end, one-touch in offensive end.
    Score by heading only.
    Following restarts (including throw-ins), all 11 players must touch the ball before attacking the goal.
    And leave one on the line!

• Futbol

Sounds like a real weak tournament…..Keppel, Sierra Vista?????

Come on San Dimas…..Get out and play people. No wonder you always lose in playoffs.

• SoccerLvr

Sorry to disappoint but I am not the coach. But thank you for that compliment. I know Coach Jimenez is going to laugh when I mention that you think I am him! Or maybe he will be horrified! haha I have to remember to mention this to the players too!

While my husband, yes I’m a mom, loves soccer, I never followed it until my daughter started playing when she was 12. That is when I started learning the rules. She is now 16. She is a fantastic player and if you have read my previous posts Im sure it wont be hard to figure it out who it is because I keep talking about her. Another clue, she was the only starting freshman on the team that won CIF.

I am the mom that gives rides to the girls when they need it, I take them snacks during practice, and some have called me mom. So if you want to know who soccerlvr is, come to one of their games and you will see me with the video camera recording every single game and cheering for these young ladies that every one likes to be negative about. I haven’t missed a single game since my daughter starting playing for SV 3 years ago. Come and see a game and we can discuss how good the girls are. Their next game is against Bishop Amat next Wednesday at Sierra Vista.

During that game you mentioned yes the score went up high. However, before the first half finished the coach took out most of his starters. When the second half started, there were no starting players on the field. Even the goalie was changed at one point in the game. During one play an SV player tapped the ball towards the goal. It could have easily been stopped by the goalie or any defender, however it rolled so slowly towards the goal until it went it. No one from Mission tried to stop it, they just watched it go in.

Did YOU see the game? Only saw the final score and made assumptions I bet. SV forward Jessica Lopez was one of the first to be pulled out. SV has won other games this season with high goals and each and every time the coach pulls out his starters when the score reaches 4. Otherwise forward Jessica Lopez would have 30+ goals by now. But if you check out the stats on Maxpreps.com you would see that this isn’t so.

San Dimas is a great team (my daughter is on the same club with one of their defenders). I don’t know much about other teams except for the ones that SV plays against. That is why I DON’T talk NEGATIVE about other teams. My daughter has been on the same team with players from Alverno, Arroyo, Baldwin Park, El Monte, San Dimas, St. Lucy’s, Bonita and many others. I respect each and every player. Unfortunately, it looks like many on this blog don’t.

I am here to cheer for my daughter and her teammates and to defend them because I will not allow anyone to talk crap about her or them. But I will not talk bad about other players.

• SoccerLvr

Futbol,

come out and see SV play before you say they are weak.

• SoccerLvr

15-0?

As I posted earlier, the coach does that and much more. But sometimes, what can you do when the other team just gives up. I felt bad for the other team. Maybe there should be a rule about stopping the game. I don’t know. I have seen games when the ball is just passed around, and that is sad too.

What is the losing coach’s responsibility. Should he stop the game?

2 years ago SV was winning a game by a lot during a rain storm. I know the coach asked the referee to ask the other coach if they would like to stop the game. The other coach didn’t want to, so SV had to keep playing.

• Futbol

SoccerLvr…

I took your advice and saw your game vs Amat! Bahahahahahahahahaha! So much for your claim that you guys are an elite program in the area! Crawl back to D6 and be proud of your 15-0 wins against St. Margaret’s School for the Blind!!!