Tribune Boys Basketball rankings
1. La Verne Lutheran (13-4) — The traveling Trojans disposed of Chino Hills and Westminster last week, and will take on New Jersey’s St. Elizabeth on Saturday in the Hall of Fame Classic. There are still several big non-league games ahead against Orange Lutheran, Mater Dei and Price.
2. Damien (13-1) — The Spartans’ Sierra League title quest opens at Claremont (Wednesday) and home Friday against South Hills. The Spartans are ranked No. 1 in Division 3AAA, and what I love about that is Pasadena, the best on the West side, is No. 2.
3. Glendora (12-4) — Who made this schedule? Ready or not, Glendora takes on defending league champion Etiwanda (13-1) at home tonight at 6:30 p.m. in the Baseline opener. Etiwanda’s only loss came in the championship game of the Pasadena tournament against — you guessed it, La Verne Lutheran, 72-61,
4. Bonita (12-4) — The Bearcats opened the Hacienda with a 48-34 win over Diamond Ranch and take on West Covina (Wednesday) and Los Altos (Friday). Hey, they’re still the team to beat until they get beat.
5. Chino Hills (10-4) — The good news for Chino Hills is they won’t take on another team like Lutheran the rest of the season. Wait a minute, maybe Damien is just as good. The jury’s still out.
6. Northview (13-5) — Beat Baldwin Park and Pomona handily to open the Valle Vista, but big games are still to come against Covina and Nogales. In Monday’s win, Treavon Francis dropped in 41 on Pomona.
7. Ayala (10-3) — They could be Sierra League spoilers because they have a team capable of beating anyone with their size and athleticism. But they’re hit and miss.
8. Walnut (12-5) — Opened the Hacienda with wins over Los Altos and West Covina and can run their league record to 4-0 with wins over Rowland and Diamond Bar next. The Rowland game is key, the Raiders can beat anyone in league.
9. Rowland (10-6) — Losing their league opener to Los Altos is tough, but the Raiders showed in December tournaments they’re not going anywhere. They can hoop it up.
10. Covina (10-5) – The Colts are the only team not to have played a Valle Vista League game. That changes this week.