Boys Soccer: South El Monte ends Mountain View’s 37-game league unbeaten streak, 2-1

“We knew this was the year we would finally get them. Look at their sideline, they’re all quiet. Every time we play them they’re always loud. Look at them now, they’re in shock.”South El Monte’s Mario Burciaga after scoring the game-winning goal in the Eagles’ 2-1 win.

South El Monte boys soccer coach Nelson Rodriguez was dripping wet following the Eagles’ 2-1 win over host Mountain View that left the Eagles in sole possession of first place in the Mission Valley League.

Nelson was chased down by his players, who dumped a bucket of water over his head after snapping the Vikings’ 37-game league unbeaten streak — a feel-good moment after finally knocking off the three-time defending league champs.

In all three years, South El Monte finished second.

“We won a big game, but we didn’t win the league title,” Rodriguez said. “This will feel better if we can do it again in the last game of the season at our place. But you know what, our guys are excited and they have a right to be.”

The Eagles (7-2-1, 5-0), ranked ninth in the CIF-Southern Section Division 4 poll, beat the sixth-ranked Vikings (7-4-4, 4-1) on a 69th minute goal by Mario Burciaga at the back post.

It started on a long throw-in to the middle of the penalty area. Raul Almanza back-headed it perfectly to Burciaga, who rifled it out of the air with a swinging right foot for the game winner.

“It was amazing, we worked on that play all day in practice, and this is where it pays off, in the game,” Burciaga said. (To continue click thread).

Burciaga then looked over at the dejected Vikings, explaining that it was their turn to feel the pain.

“We knew this was the year we would finally get them,” Burciaga said. “Look at their sideline, they’re all quiet. Every time we play them they’re always loud. Look at them now, they’re in shock.”

Mountain View took the early lead on Carlos Zarate’s long pass into space for Pablo Tellez, who dribbled into the box and finished at the near post for a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute.

The Eagles tied it on a 35-yard shot from Javier Machuca that caught Vikings goalkeeper Christian Bucio off guard in the 15th minute.

Although the Vikings hit the crossbar twice in the second half, the Eagles clearly outhustled and outplayed the Vikings over 80 minutes, something Vikings coach Felipe Corona agreed with.
“We told our guys to look at that moment, look at how they’re celebrating on our field,” Corona said. “We’ve knocked this team out the last few years so this was building. They’ve been hunting us for a while.

“And today, they deserved it. They were hungrier, they wanted it more and this is what happens when you don’t match that effort. Give them credit, hopefully we get them back at their place.”

Rodriguez felt especially proud because this is not the most talented team he’s had. In fact, the Eagles won without junior William Raygoza, who opted not to play this season so he could compete on the Los Angeles Galaxy’s Youth Academy team.

When Raygoza was a freshman, he shared league most valauble player honors.

“This is the unlikely group,” Rodriguez said. “We’ve had good teams before but the chemistry wasn’t there. But this group of kids is different, especially in the sense they don’t want to be pushed around by anybody. The mentality is different, we started to control ourselves first, and that’s reflective on the field.”

• aethjwrtmjsmur,m

confident words from the south el monte coach about them being quiet on the bench.. how man CIF titles does he have again?

• Alumni.

Show me 9 league titles on their banner and 3 CIF banners, then maybe I’ll be interested in this story.

• http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvfootball Aram

Love it, Freddie!

That MVL boys soccer is some intense stuff. Beyond intense. The way it should be!

Congrats to the Eagles … but Mountain View is still the flagship.

• Mike Brown

A couple of great pictures, tons of emotion (good and bad) on both sides.

• Fred Robledo

This is why I love the Mission Valley League and teams like Baldwin Park, Sierra Vista, etc, they bring a lot of emotion, lot of fans, and the soccer is very good.

• garcia626

well said alumni and aethjjweeghfsgfhd lol how many cif titles? none and theyre never getting close so they can keep thinking their bad and all but when its all said and done mvhs still is on top.. all they have done is awake a sleeping giant! :]

• Frank Raygoza

This is what happens when i leave. smh
    I feel bad for you guys.
    Respect for the eagles this year,

• mvhs student

When you left, we won back to back cif titles, something no one in this league will ever be close to doing, not even winning cif once will any of these other teams do let alone back to back? The eagles don’t deserve any delectable because they haven’t done any significant thing other than beat us for the first time in ages!!! The eagles will never win cif so they can show boat all they want they won’t get anywhere! Mvhs for life

• hahaha

You’re kidding yourself if you actually think that’s the real frank raygoza. and MVHS student, Don’t think you’re the best because you won back to back titles.. It was in Division 6.. OUT OF 7. The 2005 MVHS team won in Division 5 and against tougher teams.. Back when the best soccer players still joined their high school teams instead of academies and other better outside league teams.. They won a tougher CIF championship when you were still in grade school learning your times tables..

• Frank Raygoza

i believe Arroy & El monte
    will rise and shine the next few years, Remember this.
    The eagles are a joke, they will choke and fail in first round of playoffs like they always do.

• KnightLionEaglePanther11

Its funny how Moutainview is only good at soccer and they got beaten by a hungrier team, respect to the eagles they deserve it.-dont doubt the south