Football Decisions: Travis Santiago to APU? Steven Rivera to Whittier? Chris Solomon to Colorado? Read all about it

The desire to play quarterback at the next level may be what will send Arroyo High School’s Steven Rivera to Whittier College when he announces his college destination sometime soon.

Rivera, the Tribune’s Player of the Year this past season after shining at both quarterback and safety, is leaning toward Whittier College but he also has interest from Azusa Pacific University, Cal Lutheran and Dakota-Wesleyan.

“He’s really impressed with the coaching staff and the facility upgrades that they have going on,” Arroyo coach Jim Singiser said of Rivera’s thoughts on Whittier College. “It’s a local school and family is really important to him and they’ll be able to watch him play.

“It’s a good academic school and he’s an academic kid.”

What really might put Rivera over the top is Whittier wants him to play quarterback whereas APU wants him as a defensive back.

Rivera threw for 3,408 yards and 38 touchdowns at Arroyo and leaves high school as the Valley’s all-time leading passer in yards and touchdowns. He also ranks in the top 10 in the CIF-Southern Section in career passing yards and touchdowns.

But some recruiters like Rivera even better on defense after watching him record 131 tackles, intercept four passes, force seven fumbles and have five fumble recoveries as a safety.

“If the schools are similar and their financial commitments are similar, then he would rather play quarterback if he has a choice,” Singiser said.

“But if that’s taken out of the equation and he’s only got interest from one school and they want him to be a defensive back, then he’s more than willing to go play defensive back. All things being equal, he’d rather be a quarterback. But he’s got no problem playing on the other side of the ball if that will help him get into college and get it paid for.”

Rivera will attend APU’s recruiting day in February. APU is interested in Rivera only as a defensive back. He also will visit Cal Lutheran after already touring Whittier College.

Should Rivera wind up at APU, he could be teammates with a familiar face in Charter Oak quarterback Travis Santiago. The Tribune’s Offensive Player of the Year this past season still is undecided about where he’ll play next season, according to Charter Oak coach Lou Farrar.

“APU has laid out the red carpet for him,” Farrar said. “I told Travis one of the big things he doesn’t realize is that if you’re living in Oklahoma or Nebraska and somebody said how about Southern California and playing at APU where the beach is 30 minutes away and downtown L.A. is 30 minutes, you’d jump at that.”

Santiago, a pitcher with electric stuff when his arm is feeling good, also could play baseball at APU.

Santiago isn’t the only Charger getting looks. Receiver Chris Gilchrist took a trip to Nevada this past weekend and has an offer from the Wolfpack as well as Sacramento State. Lineman Luis Oliva is deciding between Claremont-Mudd-Scripps and University of Redlands. Defensive back Herman Akins has interest from Southern Illinois.

Solomon looking Buff

West Covina running back/safety Chris Solomon likely is headed to Colorado, according to Bulldogs coach Mike Maggiore. Solomon, the Tribune’s Player of the Year in 2010, has offers from Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico St. and likely will decide as signing day nears next week.

Fellow Bulldogs Justen Meaders, Dorrin Turner and Jimmy Frazier do not have any official offers yet, but Maggiore calls their situations “a day-to-day thing.”

Solomon already has had an official visit to Colorado and is being recruited to play safety for the Buffaloes.

Colts job drawing interest

Covina athletics director Darryl Thomas said Monday the school has received about 12-15 applications for its open varsity football head coaching job. Thomas, who was the previous head coach before resigning earlier this month after 15 seasons, declined to comment on speculation that some big names from the local area have applied.

Covina will stop accepting applications on Friday and will start the interview process the first week of February, according to Thomas.

Thomas, meanwhile, continues to oversee the Colts’ offseason weightlifting program.

• Sierra League Fan

Is that the only attention Santiago is getting? I thought at least schools from the Big Sky conference would be interested. As for Rivera, he has good numbers but I think the competition he did it against hurt him.
    Nick Enriquez has committed to Cal Poly SLO. A good place for him to grow and play.

• PopsLD17

Either QB at APU would be awesome. Certainly helps a certain 6’5″ receiver now at APU from San Dimas with 4 years of eligibility left.

• Football fan

Azusa Pacific University has a great football program under head coach Victor Santa Cruz. This would be a great opportunity for Rivera to grow athletically, face new challenges, and set higher academic goals. Now that APU is moving to Div II, it will open up a whole new world of recruiting local kids with talent.

• Sierra League

any word on : Chavez, Colbert, Palafox, or Ginoza yet?

• FYI

Looks like Glendora’s Cory Victoria and Donovan Holmes are headed to APU as well.

That would be a good fit for both as well.

• Current Commit List from SGV

Let’s add as we go, I have included local JC as well:

Ellis McCarthy Monrovia UCLA
    Kevon Seymour Muir USC
    Aaron Porter La Habra UCLA
    Tairen Owens Muir UCLA
    Myles Carr Arcadia Fresno St
    JR Nelson Wilson Montana
    Visesio Salt MSAC Utah
    Brandon Guerrro Fullerton C.C. Texas-SA
    Koliniasi Leota MSAC Utah
    Travis Coons MSAC San Diego St
    Kelvin Chatman Citrus C.C. Illinios St
    Sean Wale La Habra Boise St
    Brett Bartolone La Habra Wash St
    Darrin Duncan MSAC Western Michigan
    Alonzo Agwuenu MSAC Arizona St
    Taylor Lagace Arcadia UCLA
    Terrance Brown Los Alamitos Northwestern
    Gerrad Kough Pomona Colorado
    Chris Miller D Ranch Oregon St
    Dylan Lagarde Los Alamitos Bryant
    Ashton Williams MSAC Harding
    Andrew Fischer D Ranch Harvard
    Travis Talianko St Francis San Jose St

• Marty

Blake Benjamin- Diamond Ranch (Navy)
    Jacob Ardron- Diamond Ranch (Columbia)

As always, Coach Roddy Layton is getting it done for his players who want to play at the next level.

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

All 3 of those young men from DRanch have GPAs above 3.5, which for all of you HS football players out there, is far more important than your 4.7 40 time. Congrats to these young men on making their high school year worth while.

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

My apologies, I meant GPAs above 4.5 not 3.5.

• New York

Diamond Ranch must have a pretty smart football team! Harvard, Columbia and Navy! Nicely done guys.

• What are you talking about?

Not sure what kind of commitment you people are talking about when discussing Columbia and Harvard? Neither of these 2 schools offer athletic or academic scholarships (i.e. no letter of intent to be signed). Financial aid to these 2 schools is offered on a family need basis only. As far as the Naval Academy, every student in the school is there courtesy of the American Tax Payer regardless if you play a sport or not. Great job in the classroom to get accepted to these schools, but lets not confuse this with athletic scholarships.

• dearest what r u talking about

hey Mr. What,

college football coaches from Ivy league schools are recruiting just like everyone else, yes they are different in their financials, but there are qoutas to get there and sports has a certain priority in things

today a coach from Yale was at Wilson looking at the grades of a player they want to go to Yale, so athletics does!!! get you in an Ivy League school

and the military academies recruit like crazy, I know I was an officer in the navy long ago

So dont slight these “football scholarships” to players going to Harvard, Columbia, Navy, they got there because of grades and athletics

I’ve never seen so much negativism about kids getting to go to college and still play football on these blogs of late

• New York

The Ivy League sends “likely letters” in place of letters of intent. The students will not officially receive their admissions packages until the spring, when the “big envelopes” arrive in their mailboxes. However, the programs are legite and coaches recruit their tails off. My former offensive line coach from Harvard was just named Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins…

I played football at Harvard after graduating Monrovia High School. Financial Aid is now more generous than ever. I highly encourage all the local football players to consider this avenue for a life changing experience. Don’t be intimidated by the thought of expensive tuition. It would cost most of you less to attend Harvard than it would UCLA.

Coaches, Parents and Players: Expand the list of schools you are considering. There are many schools across the country that have football teams. Many of those schools offer financial aid as well as admissions preference. Someone at Diamond Ranch should be commended. I’ve noticed many DR players going to various schools that are not usually on television, but they do offer great educations.

• We are DR

Don’t forget football player Peter Neise of Diamond Ranch who has been accepted to West Point

• Options

The DR players had other options and were courted by several schools. These players chose to attend school where academics is the focus. Choosing an IVY League education over the Big Sky and other state schools is a wise decision and an option that most players do not get.

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

N.Y. I completely agree with you! Too many players/parents are worried about Pac-this and Big-that and dont stop to think about what an education from an Ivy League school of even a top DII or DIII private school can do for there future. In fact most of the TOP educational institutions in the nation are DII or DIII. And just because you do not receive a “full ride athletic scholarship”, your ability to both get accepted by your grades/test scores added to your ability to play ball, greatly increases your ability to receive grants and/or financial aid which in most cases do not have to be repaid (just like an athletic scholarship). And if you do your homework, a Harvard education is worth far more than a San Diego St or Oregon St Dand dont get me wrong – getting an education anywhere is great, but there IS a difference). Someone at DR is doing the right things!

• Coach Roddy Layton Fan & Friend

I’m fortunate enough to call Coach Roddy Layton a friend and have seen up close the level of commitment, dedication and blood,sweat and tears he puts into every single student at Diamond Ranch. Yes, every single student, not just athletes, as he’s a true educator of young minds and an example, by his own story, of what is possible if you dig down deep and pay the price.

A few years ago, when I first met Coach Layton he was going a mile a minute and I thought, “I sthis guy for real?”, and in truth he is. That year he sent players to two Military Academies and several others to D1 and D2 schoolsby working the phones, talking up kids and, most importantly, being a mentor to these kids about life, education and their futures. That was almost four years agoand I see he’s done it again, no one one’s surprise who know him.

You hear tons of comments slamming DR and Coach Layton but you don’t hear those comments coming out of the Diamond Ranch Family & Friends who see Coach Layton do it day in and day out. I’m not here to start another “bashing” but if any one has ever talked to Roddy they know he’s all about the kids.

This year I saw Diamond Ranch and Charter Oak in a passing league game, might have been the “last” passing league of the summer and you know what I saw? Coach Layton running his team thru their windsprints long after every single “fan” or “coach” was gone. only Coach Farrar to lock up the gate. When I saw Coach Farrar he didn’t seem annoyed, when I looked at the CO and DR parents I saw a mutual admiration for DR’s work ethic. Sprint after sprint after sprint they went until I thought, “what is he doing?|”

Finally when it was over, as we were talking, one player after another came and talked to Coach Roddy. Some asked about the game, others about their effort and yet others about how they were going to do better next time…not one disgruntled player. And that’s when I realized what Roddy Layton was all about…he was teaching, mentoring and building young men.

Years ago I asked him to come to Damien, for selfish reasons, but the more I thought about it I kept thinking about the kids at DR, the families who depend on him and the boosters who back himand I knew he would never come.Trust me I love Gano but few coaches are as impressive off the field as they are ON THE FIELD.

Now my youngest son is going to Stanford on a full academic four year ride and I know Roddy Layton made me a better father. I know it’s popular to bash coaches who deserve to get bashed, and I’ve done my share, but when a man is getting it dome like Roddy Layton is it’s also important to say so as well.

Coach Roddy Layton may never win a Coach of the Year or a CIF Championship, but he will try like no other and some day his players will say they played for him with pride.

Funny thing what a simple sprint says about a team, a player and a coach.

Congratulations to all the Diamond Ranch players and their awesome Diamond Ranch Family…you’re a sight to behold.

• Coach Roddy Layton Fan & Friend

• Coach Roddy Layton Fan & Friend

• Prep Fan

If you want to see how important grades and a willingness to look for a good fit are, look at the list of kids playing at the next level from Webb in just the last four years. All of them are continuing to play at great schools and their academic ability helped get them in the door whether they are on scholarship or not. You will also notice that if you are good enough, what school you come from (Webb has under 400 students) doesn’t matter as they have students playing at Rice, UC Davis, Air Force, Navy, Tulane, and Davidson, all D-1 Schools.

Everett Chu 11 – Football, Pomona College
    Dana Edwards 11 – Volleyball, Rice University
    Madison Fuelling 11 – Volleyball, Haverford College
    Chris Jusuf ’11 – Football, Hamilton College
    Johnny Hernandez 11 – Football, Chapman University
    Callie Renfrew ’11 – Swimming, Wheaton College
    Lindsey Crowe ’10 – Soccer, Bryn Mawr College
    Andrew Lantz 10 – Cross Country and Track, Davidson College
    Neel Kotrappa 10 – Tennis, Claremont McKenna College
    Juli Nokleberg 10 – Fencing, United States Air Force Academy
    Chris Sazo 10 – Water Polo, Whittier College
    Jake Waas 10 – Football, UC Davis
    Charlotte Wilson ’10 – Swimming, Trinity College
    Jonathan Frisby 09 – Soccer, Lake Forest College
    Michael Gallagher ’09 – Rowing, US Naval Academy
    Rosie Lewis 09 – Track, Claremont McKenna College and Davidson College
    Bryan Yokote 09 – Baseball, Case Western Reserve University
    Christina Duron ’08 – Basketball, Swarthmore
    Kelsey Guardia ’08 – Volleyball, Bucknell University
    Andrew Kunce ’08 – Track, Tulane University
    Gabe Romero 08 – Golf, Pomona-Pitzer Colleges
    Sasha Wijeyeratne ’08 – Volleyball and Softball, Swarthmore College
    Christian Woods 08 – Swimming, Wheaton College

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

Completely Agree Prep Fan! Too much is put into “Oh I have to transfer to win a D-5 Championship to get a scholarship.” Nothing is ever said about transferring to a different school to ensure that my SAT score increase and that school offers more AP classes. Your grades are the FIRST thing that a college recruiter looks at, YES BEFORE HE LOOKS AT YOUR HIGHLIGHT FILM! This DRanch story I think needs its own spotlight, what those coaches are doing, what that administration is doing and especially, what the young men/women are doing there to get to the next level, and they are doing it without championships, imagine that!

• No Nada

Nick Enriquez to Cal Poly SLO? What happen to UCLA and Colorado. I guess they saw what we saw in the Sierra! SLO is…well, slow. Nice school but a nobody team.

Chavez, Colbert, Palafox, or Ginoza all going to Chaffey to “build” a winning program. Right! All talk…No Nada!

• You Know Nothing!

You know nothing!

A free education is a free education. Earned by an athletic scholarship or by an academic one.

This moron “What Are You Talking About” knows nothing about the recruiting process. Colleges and Universities have coffers full of cash and available to “right” student. Private schools the most! If you are the “right” student you are able to gain financial support (not aid) from the University. This means a minimum of 3.5 gpa and a minimum ACT of 24 for most Selective schools.

This funding is provided on a guarantee of 4 academic calendar years and not annual as are all of the D1 athletic scholarships. D1 athletic scholarships in California require a 2.0 gpa and an ACT of 15. The scholarships are annual and if little johnny the tank becomes academically ineligible you can kiss that scholly good bye. Even in year 3 or 4!

The fact is and always will be that an academic scholarship will always be a better award to the student. It usually means that they are attending a much better academic institution also. By the way parents, it also elimates the dictatorial spirit of the head coach of D1 schools. He has no say on the scholly!!!

Get you facts straight – What Are You Talking About!!!

• New York

Actually…academic *scholarships* usuallys have strings attached—typically they require that the student maintains a certain GPA in college. Maintaining a 3.5 in college is quite a challenge.

The Ivies give need-based financial aid and have a needs-blind admissions policy. That means, if you get in they give you a package that you can afford and maintaing it at that level unless your family’s financial situations changes, in which case the financial aid package is adjusted as well. The Ivies are pretty unique, because they are so richly endowed. The exact numbers are escaping me, but I know Harvard really cranked up financial aid a few years ago and then Yale and Princeton followed suit. If a family’s combined income is less than $65K, then the kid effectively gets a full-ride. They were generous when I was there and are even more generous now.
    http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/09/harvard%E2%80%99s-record-166-million-financial-aid-program-will-increase-aid-to-low-income-students-and-provide-a-new-financial-aid-calculator-for-students-and-families/

• Aaron

Academic Scholarships tend to require the student to maintain above a 3.0 average and not dip below 3.0 any term.

• What are you talking about?

@ You know nothing
    Please read the link below and then tell me where my statement is incorrect.

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2009/10/20/ask-coach-taylor-do-ivy-league-schools-offer-athletic-scholarships/

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

Yes, WE ALL KNOW that Ivy schools do not offer “athletic” scholarships. But that does NOT mean that they do not recruit football players and that those football players education is not paid for! Not 100% sure how you can down play a young man for getting to play football at Harvard, Navy, Columbia and have their education paid for.

But I tell you what, I am sure that after these young men graduate, I am sure they will offer you a job detailing their SLC55.

• New York

Rumor has it that Princeton gives their football players more money than other Ivies offer, at least they used to.

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

@ New York,

I would like to talk to you about Harvard (Ivy) if I could. You mind emailing me and giving some info. Just so you know I am not wasting your time, my child has a 4.8 GPA and plays multiple sports and is looking in the Ivy direction. Let me know…

Thanks

• New York

I’m always happy to help locals who are interested in coming east.

Send your email to Fred and Aram. They can forward it along.

4.8 is nice. Also focus on SAT I AND SAT II. Leadership on campus and within the community–Not just participating in many things, but actually excelling in something on a national level is important. Be original with passion.

Having raw talent like Andrew Fischer helps too!

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

I will send my info to Fred and have him pass it your way.

Thanks!

• You Know Nothing…

New York

How difficult was it for you to maintain a 3.0 gpm in your neck of the Northeast woods? Every school requires a minimum gpa to stay eligible (athlete or not). Hell, even Cal State Fullerton requires a 2.0 gpa.

Socialism has never been part of Higher Education in America. You must earn the education Scholly or none! Key word EARN! Most Selective and Selective schools expect a Student to be a qualified student. We are talking about Student/Athletes, right? Have you seen the acceptance requirements of Miss St., LSU, New Mexico St., San Jose St? What about Freshman retention rates? Most important, have you seen their 4 years graduation rate? Its horrible. Like these schools, there are many D1 football factories/schools that deliver very little in the way of an education. I wouldnt have sent my son to any of these schools even with your so called full ride scholly? What is that degree worth?

The “Ivies” are no more unique that Claremont, Williams or Linfield. Every distinguished school has a very generous endowment! They all post it proudly on their websites. If you are a great Athlete and a great Student, you will be awarded financial support by these Selective and Most Selective schools. All of these schools have the coffers full of money for the right kid. D1 is a Factory. D1AA, D2, D3 and NAIA will combine the Academics with your Atheletes’ sport, and make you a successful person for decades to come!

Concussed, if your kid really has a 4.8 gpa, don’t worry about NY’s email address. These schools will come and find you! Kids with that gpa are in the 1 percentile of American Academics and are even more rare than a 5 star football player.

• New York

Frankly, it was still pretty challenging even with our purported grade inflation. I’m glad our aid was not tied to a GPA requirement, but rather my overall financial circumstances. When I had to use some of my summer earnings to help my family, Harvard increased my aid…I left them a voice message of panic, then they left a message the next day on my mom’s answering machine saying “we got your message and adjusted your aid. See you in September.” That was going into my sophomore year.

Freshmans fall I got a letter out of the blue notifying me that, as a kid from a warm weather region and on financial aid, I was eligible for $500 from the “Winter Coat Fund.” So I was able to go buy clothing for the cold winters.

I had to get my first passport my freshman year…coming back from Christmas break, the football team found out that we were all going to Japan for spring break. We scrimmaged Kyoto University, a school that was celebrating its 50th year playing American football. The trip was all expenses paid. Amazing.

I could go on forever about how many doors have been opened and how many wonderful experiences I have had, and I know it is attributable to where I went to school (Monrovia, Harvard, Columbia).

The Claremont Colleges are awesome. Is Roger Carron still Pomona’s football coach? He was a Harvard stud in the early ’80s.

As I mentioned earlier, I hope more locals explore all the educational opportunities that our country offers. GPA and test scores are not everything. The most selective schools look for more than that. A little (in my case a lot) of luck and hard work go a long way.

Many schools in the nation offer fine educations. Highly successful people find a way to get where they want. Sam Walton is not an Ivy Leaguer. I’m just sharing more of my experiences because I am very grateful for all that was given to me and I hope many others, especially kids from the SGV, can have a similar experience. It is amazing going to school with people from all over the world.

• sierra league

no nada ? the name says it all; translated in English means “know nothing ” lmao Chafed? I don’t think so at the least they will find themselves at a high academic rated D3 , why is that you ask? Well that’s because all the young men you named have actual 3.5 gpa atleast and with atleast 1700 on their SAT unlike your wack school with your open book SAT test! Maybe chaffey if they didn’t go to school for a few years. You know Nada!

• ConcuSSionSymptomS

@ New York,

I sent FRED an email to forward to you, and thanks.

@ You Know…,

YES, he does have a 4.8 gpa and yes I know that schools will come find him. But I do know that most of the “academic” schools have their own little querks to there admissions process that I want to make sure that we are covering.

• Dan

New York nice post, sounds like you’ve had a great experience in life thus far, Concussionsymptoms, good luck to your son and congratulations on his on and off the field accomplishments.