After a winless December, Diamond Bar boys soccer leads Hacienda after come-from-behind 2-1 win over Diamond Ranch; Los Altos next

POMONA
— The way Diamond Bar High School boys soccer coach Kemp Wells explains it, the soccer Gods are cruel sometimes, which might explain the Brahmas’ winless December, which included eight losses and a tie in their first nine games.
“We were ahead in a lot of games, they (opponents) would tie it and we would give up,” Wells said. “If we got behind, there wasn’t a lot of fight, we weren’t coming back. It kind of snowballed and was frustrating.”
Since the Hacienda League started, the Brahmas have done a complete 360, winning at Diamond Ranch 2-1 on Thursday for sole possession of first, their sixth win in seven games to improve to 6-9-1 and 6-1 in league. (To continue click thread)

The Brahmas did it after falling behind too.

Diamond Ranch (10-7-1, 5-2-1) was dangerous early, especially on Andres Gallegos’ rifle-like throw-ins that zip across the penalty area.

After a couple near misses early, the Brahmas failed to clear Gallegos’ long throw into the box, and Diamond Ranch’s Ishmael Dimas was there to clean it up, firing at close range for a 1-0 lead in the 13th minute.

The Brahmas tied it on a picture-perfect give-and-get-back short corner kick.

Evan Valpraiso played a short corner to Kase Vollebregt, who gave it right back to Valpraiso with a better angle on goal. Valpraiso fired it across the mouth and buried it far side to tie the score, 1-1, in the 25th minute.

Vollebregt showed he can create and finish too, dribbling away from two defenders and firing the game-winner from 20 yards in the 67th minute for the go-ahead score.

“That’s what he’s been doing lately in league, he’s (Vollebregt) putting the ball away, which is what he’s supposed to do,” Wells said. “He has great footwork, a great shot, and you saw it on that goal.”

More importantly, Wells loved how his team reacted after falling behind.

“This wouldn’t of happened earlier in the year,” Wells said. “We wouldn’t have come back. They know that they’re playing for something now, and sometimes that makes a world of difference.”

Diamond Bar might have got away with a handball in the penalty area in the final seconds. Even Brahmas athletic director Kurt Davies told Wells he thought they got away one with one afterward, but referee’s like to be thoroughly convinced before awarding a penalty-kick in the final seconds.

“Yeah, definitely, there were a couple calls they could have made,” Diamond Ranch coach Jerry Martinez said. “But you know what, that’s soccer, the refs are part of the game. They’re human beings and they make mistakes. That’s how it is. We can’t hang our heads on a refs bad call, if we put away our opportunities like we should have, it wouldn’t come down to a controversy call or non call.”

Diamond Ranch had chances to double its lead early, but Brahmas’ goalkeeper Julian Sanchez played well.

“It was a big game and we had our fair share of chances,” Martinez said “But it comes down to who puts it in the back of the net, not how many chances you get. They had their chances and they put theirs away. At the end that’s what matters.”

Diamond Bar will close out the first-half of Hacienda league action today at Los Altos (9-5-4, 3-1-2), and Wells knows back-to-back wins against the two teams they’re battling against for league supremacy would be huge.

“We would love to get another one, and they’re a good team,” Wells said of Los Altos. “We just have to keep playing hard. You can’t slack off for a second, these teams are too good.”

fred.robledo@sgvn.com
626-962-8811, ext. 2161
sgvtribpreps@twitter

• wells

Fred — thanks for the coverage. We appreciate it. Only note is that our goalie is Julian Sanchez. He does a great job for us every game.

• LA Conq

LA Wins 3-1 Today. Just my prediction.

• patrick

1-0 (W) – LOS ALTOS @ DIAMOND BAR
    SCORE
    10
    PLAYED ON: 1/27/2012 3:30 PM
    The Diamond Bar Brahmas Soccer team won Friday’s Conference game against the Los Altos Conquerors by a score of 1-0.Box Score

so much for prediction! lol