Covina football hires assistant Joe Brown, who is also girls softball coach, to take over football reigns; Marc Paramo takes over at Rosemead

Two local high school football programs put quick ends to their respective coaching searches by hiring from within Wednesday. At Covina, longtime assistant Joe Brown was named the successor to Darryl Thomas. At Rosemead, former assistant Marc Paramo was hired to replace Matt Koffler.

Both programs are among area’s more successful ones, with Covina having reached the semifinals of the playoffs five times under Thomas and Rosemead reaching the semifinals of the Division 7 playoffs 2001 and the Mid-Valley Division championship game in 2008 under Koffler.

Brown’s came as somewhat of a shock since he originally turned the job down when the school tried to hire from within. Covina recently flew the position publicly and had attracted 12-15 applicants before Brown had a change of heart and decided to take the job.

“They offered it to me when we got back from Christmas break and I thought about it for a few days and politely turned it down,” said Brown, a 1990 graduate of Wilson. “After thinking about it, I’ve been here 16 years.

“I live right by the school. I still want to coach. I had opportunities to coach in some other programs but I just decided it would be better if I stayed here at Covina and took the responsibility.”

Brown was offensive coordinator under Thomas since 2005. In that time, he’s called the plays for some high-flying offenses. In 2005, Covina averaged 43 points per game. In 2006, the Colts scored 42 points per game. This past season, Covina averaged 36 points per game.

Brown’s chances of continuing that kind of success suffered a big blow Tuesday when standout running back Gevontray Ainsworth, who would have been the Colts’ top returning player next season, checked out of school and transferred to Monrovia.

Paramo’s hiring at Rosemead came as no shock. After Koffler resigned earlier this month, he was very vocal in wanting Paramo, his defensive coordinator, to replace him.

“The good thing about coach Koffler was that he didn’t micro-manage,” said Paramo, who graduated from Rosemead in 1995. “I was pretty much the head coach of the defense and the special teams, so I already felt like I was doing head coach things.

“It’s unfortunate that coach Koffler stepped down, but this would be the only place I ever would have done it. I couldn’t be more excited. I grew up in Rosemead and went to Rosemead High School. My dad is 80 and still lives right down the street and he doesn’t miss a game.”

• South Hills Slow

Great hire for Covina. Now I would really like to see South Hills get going. They haven’t even started to interview. From what I have heard they are looking at giving the position to one of the lower level coaches or an assistant. Bad move! They don’t have a Joe Brown on campus who is willing to take the job and help them make a transition. If they give it to one of these guys that is rumored to be applying, I see big problems for them in the future. But Covina has done a much better job of moving along in my opinion. But then again they already have very qualified people on campus and fortunately one of them decided to take over.

• sgv fan

Congrats Coach Brown…Covina made a great choice..he coached me at Glen A. Wilson back in the 1990′s. i knew then that someday he will be a great head coach. i just didn’t expect it would take almost 20 years.

• sgv baller

covina should do fine with brown at coach. lets hope they dont lose there running back from this years freshman team also,he is going to be great.

• Grim Reaper

Big problems for South Hills is an understatement. You don’t even know the magnitude of it.

• CoViNa

Great hire for the Colts. Mr. Brown will do a fine job. The only question I have, is who is going to run the defense since Thomas is gone?
    The Colts graduated alot of seniors, but that junior and sophomore group is really solid. They will have a very, big and physical line, WR, QB, AND RB are all questions. But from what I saw on the J.V. , they do have some players who are above average. I see the Colts battling San Dimas again for the league title……