Split Decision in the Valle Vista: Wilson boys beat Covina 55-36; Covina girls beat Wilson, 33-32

By John Honell, Correspondent
COVINA
- For the second consecutive season, the Valle Vista League looks like it will come down to the final week of the season before a boys basketball champion can be crowned.

Defense was the key for Wilson High School as it moved into sole possession of first place after a 55-36 win over Covina on Friday night.

The Wildcats (14-7, 7-1) avenged their only league loss of the season while dropping the Colts to 15-7 and 5-2.

“We both still have to play Northview, this isn’t over,” Wildcats coach Jason Rochwerg said. “Last year we were in second place going into the last game. With a loss we ended up in fifth.”

The Wildcats outscored the Colts 14-2 in the second quarter to take control of the game. Chris Sotelo hit two free throws at the 7:11 mark of the quarter for the Colts’ only points.

“This is our fifth (consecutive) game we’ve held our opponents under 40 points,” Rochwerg said. “Our kids understand that if we continue to do that the likelihood of winning is going to be a lot higher. I know we’re deeper, so we tried to press them the whole game and run them up and down the floor. Luckily they had an off night shooting and that helped, too.”

The Wildcats forced four turnovers and got defensive rebounds from J.R. Nelson and Josh Romero, and Bryce Kato hit a 3-pointer at the halftime buzzer to take control of the game.

“You have to give a lot of credit to Wilson,” Colts coach Will Bissman said. “We didn’t shoot
well, plus they played great defense.”

Kato was 4 of 6 from beyond the 3-point line and led all scorers with 15 points.

“We don’t know who our hero is going to be from game to game,” Rochwerg said. “Tonight he hit some big 3s in the second half, and that was the difference.”

The Colts went to full-court pressure in the second half, but point guard Ryan Del Rosario was able to beat it and get his teammates good looks at the basket.

“I call him the poor man’s version of Steve Nash,” Rochwerg said. “He’s really heady and even when it looks like he’s trapped, he makes something happen.”

The Colts struggled from beyond the 3-point line, making only 1 of 12 shots, almost all of them under pressure.

“We don’t normally play that kind of style,” Bissman said. “They played our 3-point shooters well and we tried to take advantage by going down low. We had a lot of shots but we shot about 20 percent. We had a big game on Wednesday against Northview, and I think the kids’ legs were still a little tired after that. To come back and play another great team is tough.”

Sotelo led the Colts with 14 points, and Edgardo Campos added 13.

Nine players scored for the Wildcats, with Nelson and Del Rosario scoring nine each.

Covina girls beat Wilson

The Colts held off a second-half rally by Wilson and won the battle for first place with a 33-32 win.

Karla Rodas hit a pair of 3-pointers in the fourth quarter to offset two 3s by the Wildcats’ Jamie Hou.

Hou led all scorers with 16 points.

The Wildcats missed six shots within 10 feet in the final four minutes and could never get past the Colts.

The Colts (16-3 overall) improved to 7-0 in league, while the second-place Wildcats (16-5) dropped to 6-2.

• Saturday!!

Southern California Shootout
    At Azusa Pacific University
    Saturday, January 28, 2012

Visitor Home

10:30 Flintridge Prep (10-6, Div. 5aa #6) v. Alta Loma (9-11, Div 1aa NR)

12:00 Rowland (14-7, Div 2a #15) v. Los Osos (9-13, 1aa NR)

1:30 Bishop Amat Girls (15-6, Div 3a #1) v. Keppel Girls (17-3, Div 2aa #1)

3:00 Chino Hills (13-6, Div 1a #4) v. Upland (14-6, Div 1aa #15)

4:30 Glendora (16-6, Div 2a #9) v. Bloomington Christian (13-6, Div 5aa #14)

6:00 Colony (13-6, Div 2a #7) v. Righetti (16-2, Div 2a #2)

7:30 Damien (18-1, Div 3aaa #1) v. Etiwanda (19-1, Div 1aa #3)

9:00 La Canada (12-7, Div 3aa #3) v. Maranatha (15-5, Div 4aa #14)

• Covina Wilson split decisions

Girls
    Covina 33 Wilson 32

Boys Wilson 55 Covina 36
    Covina led 9-8 after 1 period but it was all Wilson after that. Bryce Kato had 15 pts, JR Nelson 9 pts and 13 rebounds

• BP Basketball

Baldwin Park 69
    Nogales 64

This game was back and forth all night uptempo basketball.

• Voice of Reason

I am a Workman boys basketball parent and the other night we played Sierra Vista High School. What an embarrassment for that school. I’m not talking about the game itself; I’m talking about the anomosity between parents and the head coach. They hate him, and they don’t hide it! For the entire game those parents were yelling obsenities at their coach. The assistant coach then began a verbal confrontation with one of their parents and the police was called! How humiliating for that school. Where is the administration? Why is this coach still coaching if he is disrespected and hated so much? There must be a reason….administration, time to check on your coach! Save your school more shame….shame on you!

• Voice of Reason

I am a Workman boys basketball parent, and the other night we played shameful Sierra Vista High School. Shameful not for the game itself, but for the comportmant of the coaches and the parents with each other. Throughout the game, parents were yelling at the head coach….the assistant coach then went and started a verbal arguement with one of the parents. Embarrassing! It got so bad that the police was called. Why is administration not doing something about the situation? It is obvious that those parents have no respect for the head coach….why? Administration, do your job and investigate. It looks to us that that head coach is doing more harm than good to those boys and to your school. Shame on Sierra Vista and their leaders who sit idle!

• voice of reason??

there is never a reason to curse at a coach by a parent during a game, does that not teach the players that it is OK to one day curse at their employer in front of the whole staff someday?

shame on the parents, not the coach