TRIBUNE BOYS SOCCER RANKINGS
1. Claremont (18-2-2) – The defending CIF champs have wrapped up at least a share of the Sierra and can win it outright with a win over Ayala or South Hills this week. Of course they would like to win both, go undefeated in league and grab one of the top seeds for next week’s D-2 playoffs.
2. South El Monte (10-2-1) — The biggest surprise of the year is closing in on ending Mountain View’s four straight MVL titles. The Eagles beat Mountain View 1-0 earlier in the season and can win the title outright when they meet again on Thursday at South.
3. Mountain View (10-4-4) — The Vikings can still claim a piece of their fifth straight MVL title, but to do it they have to avenge a 1-0 loss to South El Monte on the road Thursday. The Vikings haven’t forgotten how South celebrated their 1-0 win on their field a few weeks back. Will they return the favor?
4. Damien (11-7-2) – The Spartans sit in second in the Sierra and have a favorable close-out schedule with games against Ayala and Charter Oak.
5. Pomona (10-3-1) — Clearly the best in the Valle Vista. With Baldwin Park struggling, the VVL was down this year, but give the Red Devils credit for clinching at least a share of the title.
6. South Hills (13-5-2) — If you told the Huskies before the season they would finish third in the Sierra ahead of Chino Hills and Ayala, they would have taken it. By all accounts, it was a very good season. They’re a game behind second-place Damien, but they have a tougher schedule closing against Claremont on Thursday.
7. La Puente (10-5-4) – Need a win this week to clinch the Montview League title, a wonderful accomplishment considering how much parity there is with Azusa, Ganesha and Sierra Vista. In fact, Sierra Vista may not make the playoffs, needing a big final week to get third.
8. Baldwin Park (9-6-2) – Will finish second in the Valle Vista and don’t count them out once the playoffs arrive. Something tells me they checked out mentally in league, but the playoffs are different and they’re the defending champs.
9. Arroyo (10-8-1) – Finishing third in the Mission Valley was no easy task this year. The Knights are a scary team that no league champion will want to face in the first round of the playoffs.
10. Diamond Bar (8-9-1) – Have been reluctant to include Diamond Bar in the top ten because of its overall record, but the fact is they’re about to win the Hacienda league title and deserve to be here. That is if they don’t stumble against Rowland, Bonita and Los Altos in the final week.