Tribune Girls Soccer Rankings
1. Claremont (20-1-4) – From start to finish have been the best team all year, just one loss and 60 goals with just 13 against. But the Wolfpack still haven’t won the Sierra League title, that will be decided on Tuesday in a battle for first against resurgent Ayala.
2. Bishop Amat (14-4-1) — Huge 3-2 loss to St. Joseph on Friday for first in the Del Rey league, which could mean a tougher than expected first-round playoff game. To share the league title, Amat has to win at St. Joe’s on Thursday.
3. San Dimas (19-2-2) — The Saints have won the Valle Vista league title and are closing in on a 100 goals for the season. They lead the area with 93 goals scored, and the way they’re scoring in the VVL, they will have a 100 before the playoffs start. And before you say their ranking is to high and they haven’t beaten anyone, don’t forget the 5-0 win over Bonita, currently undefeated in the Hacienda.
4. Ayala (9-7-4) — The Bulldogs may or may not have super player Makenzie Doniak for Tuesday’s huge game against Claremont. Doniak’s older sister was in a car accident in Texas, and the last we heard she was with the family. Let’s hope this turns out alright for the Doniak family.
5. Bonita (11-7-3) – This newspaper, which means me, have slept on the Bearcats and all they’ve done is go unbeaten in the Hacienda, with a chance to win the title outright at home against Diamond Bar on Tuesday. First, they play Walnut tonight.
6. South Hills (9-4-7) – If South Hills wins out this week against Chino Hills and Claremont, they finish at least third and make the playoffs. If they should stumble, and beating Claremont is obviously no easy task, St. Lucy’s could slip in and steal the playoff spot from them.
7. St. Lucy’s (13-7-2) – Who would have though the Regents, after knocking off then No. 1 in the nation FSHA in December and climbing to the No. 1 ranking here, would sit in fourth place and a point behind third South Hills going into the final week. St. Lucy’s needs to beat Ayala and Charter Oak this week, and hope that South Hills loses at least once to make the playoffs. What an unbelievable turn of events.
8. Diamond Bar (13-5-4) – Got a big win 1-0 win over Walnut last week to stay in the Hacienda title hunt. Before Diamond Bar faces Bonita, it faces Rowland today while Bonita heads to Walnut — two games that could have a huge impact before they lineup tomorrow.
9. Chino Hills (14-4-5) – The Huskies currently sit in fifth place in the Sierra, but are no completely out of the playoff picture. They need to win out and hope that other scenario’s unfold for them to get in.
10. Sierra Vista (16-2-2) – Like San Dimas, simply too good for the Montview, already 12-0 and waiting for the playoffs to arrive.
Inland Insider Tom Kiss’ highlights of Ayala’s 3-0 win over South Hills on Friday, which kept the Bulldogs in the Sierra League title hunt.