Soccer: South El Monte wins Mission Valley League title with 1-1 tie against Mountain View; Bishop Amat and Diamond Bar girls win to earn league titles

Championship results: Bishop Amat girls beat St. Joseph 2-0 to share the Del Rey League title and Diamond Bar girls beat Los Altos 1-0 to claim the Hacienda league title.

Usually celebrations like this are reserved for winning CIF-Southern Section titles, but listening to South El Monte boys soccer coach Nelson Rodriguez explain it, winning the Mission Valley League title over three-time league champ Mountain View is as good as it gets after knocking on the door so many times.

All South El Monte needed in Thursday’s league finale was a tie, and it got it, surviving a late goal from Mountain View and holding on in the final minutes to preserve a 1-1 draw.
South El Monte, which ended Mountain View’s 37-game league unbeaten streak in its previous match with the Vikings, finished 11-2-2 and 9-0-1 in league with the Vikings second at 11-4-5 and 8-1-1.

“We’ve been chasing them for three years,” said Rodriguez, who picked himself up after the players piled on top of him afterward. “We finished second every time to them and we suffered a lot. It was an uphill battle but we earned it. We earned it because we worked hard and put in the extra hours.” (To continue click thread)

Today’s Soccer Schedule
Boys Soccer
Hacienda League
Los Altos at Diamond Bar, 5:30 p.m.
Rowland at Bonita, 3:30 p.m.
West Covina at Diamond Ranch, 3:30 p.m.
Mission Valley League
Mountain View at South El Monte, 3:15 p.m.
Gabrielino at Arroyo, 3:15 p.m.
Rosemead at El Monte, 3:15 p.m.
Montview League
Azusa at La Puente, 3:15 p.m.
Sierra Vista at Duarte, 3:15 p.m.
Workman at Gladstone, 3:15 p.m.
Ganesha at Bassett, 5 p.m.
Sierra League
Claremont vs. South Hills at CDF, 5:30 p.m.
Damien at Ayala, 5:30 p.m.
Chino Hills at Charter Oak, 5:30 p.m.

Girls Soccer
Del Rey League
Bishop Amat at St. Joseph’s, 3:30 p.m.
Hacienda League
Diamond Bar at Los Altos, 3:30 p.m.
Bonita at Rowland, 3:30 p.m.
Diamond Ranch at West Covina, 3:30 p.m.
Mission Valley League
South El Monte at Mountain View, 3:15 p.m.
Arroyo at Gabrielino, 3:15 p.m.
El Monte at Rosemead, 3:15 p.m.
Montview League
La Puente at Azusa, 3:15 p.m.
Duarte at Sierra Vista, 3:15 p.m.
Gladstone at Workman, 3:15 p.m.
Bassett at Ganesha, 3:15 p.m.
Sierra League
South Hills at Claremont, 5:30 p.m.
Ayala vs. St. Lucy’s at Damien, 5:30 p.m.
Charter Oak at Chino Hills, 5:30 p.m.

The Eagles struck early.

Eagles midfielder Mario Burciaga nearly finished a cross but Vikings goalkeeper Christian Bucio made a great save off the line. But the ball popped straight up in front of Sador Rangel, who headed it home to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead in the ninth minute.

South El Monte had few chances the rest of the way, partly because it wasn’t pushing forward, knowing Mountain View needed to score twice to share the league title.

Mountain View had a great opportunity to score in the opening minutes of the second half. Jesus Mariscal delivered a beautiful cross at the back post for Pablo Tellez, but his header from three-yards away was poked away by Eagles goalkeeper Frankie Reyes.

The Vikings’ William Castillo got loose on a breakaway in the 68th minute, but was taken down on a game-saving tripping penalty by Jesus Machuca, who was red-carded for the breakaway foul.

That forced the Eagles to play with ten players the rest of the way and that gave the Vikings the opportunity they needed, finally scoring in the 78th minute when Manuel

Garcia converted Carlos Zarate’s corner to make it 1-1.

South El Monte fought hard over the final minutes of regulation and almost ten minutes of injury time to squeeze out the tie, surviving three yellow cards and the ejection to Machuca.

Mountain View nearly won it in the final seconds on Andres Hernandez’s free-kick cross to on-rushing Alejandro Andrade at the back post, but Andrade couldn’t get his head on it, and the game ended seconds later.

Rodriguez said the red-card was a team move, and thought his team showed their guts over the final minutes down a man.

“Unfortunately he’s (Machuca) going to have to sit out the first (CIF) playoff game, but that’s what you do when you’re a team, you sacrifice yourself and that’s what happened. He did what he had to do and we got a title out of it.”

After a brief pause to catch his breath, Rodriguez turned toward his players and explained why they couldn’t stop celebrating.

“Every year Mountain View expects to win, that’s who they’re,” Rodriguez said. “They beat us every time, but we’ve been saying for a while to do this you have to fight back.

“I think we’ve been unlucky a couple of years coming up short against them, but they had that mentality that they were going to win. But not this year, it was them or us and it was finally out turn to prove to ourselves that we’re good enough.”
Mountain View coach Felipe Corona was obviously disappointed afterward, but he said the rivalry is good for everyone.

“The Mission Valley league is special,” Corona said. “They deserve credit, they fought hard and did what they had to do.

“I thought we didn’t play well in the first half, but in the second half we pushed our midfield up and basically played with three defenders. We showed a lot of heart scoring late and trying to get the game winner. But unfortunately, we just ran out of time.”

• anonymous

i thought this was a CIF championship game the way south celebrated.. are they getting league rings for this? hahahaa

• fljhlhlkwrgb

He’s gonna have to sit out the first C.I.F. game? More like their ONLY C.I.F. game lol

• Anonymous

No they weren’t getting no rings but they won the supposably 3 yr league champs and are an undefeated team. So of course they are going to celebrate while others cried because they couldn’t believe it,they won on the field with dedication, respect, and pride. And by the way even though some schools were trying to win on the table, it didn’t work, we won fair and square like we did the past two years in JV. So stop hating on us and let us enjoy our win. EAGLE PRIDE!

• x

@ Anonymous
    Check back here in a couple of days and ill have a comment about your fair and square. For your sake you better hope its not sooner.

• fljhlhlkwrgb

Anonymous with the bad spelling and grammar,

Fair and square huh? The league and CIF probably know about it yet. But there are plenty of people out there that know your team’s little secret. Better pray that no one says anything..

• MVL

what secret are you talking about? haha Don’t just come up with excuses cause you guys didn’t win league this year

• patrick

2-1 (W) – LOS ALTOS @ DIAMOND BAR
    SCORE
    21
    PLAYED ON: 2/9/2012 5:30 PM
    The Diamond Bar Brahmas Soccer team won Thursday’s Conference game against the Los Altos Conquerors by a score of 2-1.Box Score

• Eagle Fan

CONGRATULATIONS EAGLES!!!! You played your Heart out and you deserve it… CELEBRATE how ever you want,you WON and the HATERS just have to face it.

• x

Were not coming up with excuses. You guys won league and were standing up to it by keeping our mouths shut and leaving you guys there.

• MVL

haha cause their is no secret lol and just mentioning that we have a “little secret” shows that your not keeping your mouth shut and using it as an excuse

• Anonymous

For all the negative vibe out there, find something else to say, if you were there and saw how our EAGLES celebrated, You must of seen the awesome game and how we won! We won by playing fair with respect, dignity and pride!! The entire season was played exactly like the last game, and thats why we are THE MISSION VALLEY LEAGUE CHAMPS !! We celebrated with pride, respect and honor!! Yes we might not have one of our guys on the first game for CIF, but just in case you did not notice we had a bench that have guys that know how to play and will give there all for the team!

• outside league

Make sure your players stay home on sunday… Or else someone who actually will turn in the proof will catch you this time and forfeit everything… hint: my name

• anonymous

WHO ARE THE 2 LOSSES THAT SOUTH EL MONTE HAD?

• MVL

they lost to Bosco Tech and Pioneer

@league outsider…haha get out of here with that lol you have nothing and you know it, get a life already

• Anonymous

To fljhlhlkwrgb
    Maybe you should check your grammar and spelling, too. As far as I am aware my post is correct, if I was to use my elaborate and precise vocabulary you wouldn’t have understood half of what I stated.
    So as you stated on your post, CIF and the league do know about the little secret because those schools did bring it to their attention, but for your misery and distress they couldn’t prove it. So you can keep posting your quarrelsome opinions while THE MISSION VALLEY LEAGUE CHAMPS keep their nonchalant and imperturbable civility.

• MVL

If the CIF and league know about this “secret” then why would they allow them to continue playing. If its a breach in CIF rules then they can eliminate them from playing in the playoffs. CIF have already done it in the past, so why won’t they do it now. It makes no sense.

• SEM Alum

Reminds me of the SEM 05 football team where all the other schools in league were complaining that our team was on steroids lol just because they had a breakout season

• fljhlhlkwrgb

Anonymous,

Just the fact that schools DID bring it up shows that there is something going on outside. People don’t just make those things up, especially if it’s against a school that won’t even be going past the second round in CIF. Players break rules all the time, remember Rosemead? Unlike them, South just got away with it. I’m sure the coach NOW told them not to go out this Sunday though :)
    Oh and regarding your “elaborate and precise” vocabulary, here’s a free lesson..
    “As far as am aware”
    ..its i’m.. or i am
    “No they weren’t getting no rings”
    ..double negative
    “but they won the supposably 3 yr league champs”
    they BEAT.. and it’s spelled supposedly.. but that’s still wrong because they aren’t “supposedly” league champs, they have the banners and rings to prove it…
    “will give there all for the team”
    THEIR..
    So umm… Where is that vocabulary of yours? Your pathetic attempts at using words that sound complicated to you just to sound smart, failed. You can put down the dictionary now because no one is buying it. Hey but what should I expect right? You WERE educated at South El Monte.. (notice its were and not where or we’re)
    Now that everyone knows you’re still dumb..(again, notice it’s you’re, not your) don’t waste your time writing a little paragraph that sounds smart to you. It’ll be a waste of 2 hours of your time. lol enjoy :)

• What is being challenged here?

What is it exactly that SEM is doing wrong that would give CIF the right to force SEM to forfeit any of their games. I’m just a bored football fan that knows nothing about high school soccer and has nothing better to do than to read these high school sports blogs. It’s controversy like this that keeps me reading the blogs during the football off-season. Someone is writing that SEM should stay home on Sundays. Does that mean they are practicing or playing pick-up games when they shouldn’t be?

• MVL

@ fljhlhlkwrgb:

haha SEM education isn’t that bad lol

• MVHS

Soy PUTO y QUE?!?!
    me gusta la vergita,

• Frank Raygoza

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• outside league

what is being challenged here,

People from other schools have seen player or players from S.E.M. playing on Sunday outside league teams which is against the rules. But apparently from what i’m reading here, according to these SEM fans or players that know exactly what is going on, not having enough proof is letting SEM get away with it. A couple years ago i believe Rosemead forfeit several games when they were in first place.

• MVL

Wouldn’t it be easy to trace players to outside clubs. How did they catch Rosemead a couple years back.

• from another league

Whoever is bringing up the “little secret” of a SEM player playing in a Sunday club; is that really what you want to hang your hat on. That they won because a player playing in a Sunday league. True, it is against CIF rules but you dont think any MV or other teams have players playing club.

Tell me that he was taking steroids or that we lives in MV area but lied and went to SEM. Maybe hes 20 and lying about his age like Danny Almonte did several years ago in a Little League championship. Dude, you got beat, came in strong second and will start playoffs next week. Don’t look like a douche and start complaining about club players, please.

• Sr. Alex Fergurson

It’s true. I happen to know people playing outside of the MVL district. I have many people training with my team, Machester United on Sat-Sun. Also, I have heard that there is another player training with Messi as well as Ronaldo, and even the greatest player of all time, Chicharito! Sorry for the misunderstanding. toodles

• Mourinho

BOLUDOS! please dont fight.
    the only person that should be worried is Frank Raygoza,
    he’s the one that gave me head so that i can train his gay Knights!

bye, se baan. ;D

• edgar bodanos

everyone knows south had ineligible players, el monte knew but they rather not say, even south el monte knows it but they dont want to admit it, mvhs actually had talent, skill, and didnt need ineliigible players unlike south, so semhs, thank el monte for not ratting you out

• Dr.Jeckel

we all know in mvl that south has players playing outside league, but theyre lucky no one turned em in or else they wouldve lost there games like rosemead did, and semhs? your still garbage compared to mvhs :)
    this is one good year u piled up? when u win league continuously with cif championships, thenn yell, scream, kick, whatever u want haha but that;ll never happen!

• soccer fan

Whether there was alleged outside playing on each team or not you all played your hearts out. Nobody could say you all don’t have talent or skill because all schools played hard. Each and every school has a great team, and all of you soccer players showed your talent on the field. Don’t bash on South or say MV has better players because all the players on each team have their individual talent. It was their time to shine, they worked hard and earned it. MV is a strong second and arroyo too. we should all be happy that any of our schools in the district make it this far. This back and forth posting is just senseless when we know that all the players are awesome. I know that at the end of this all the players know each other because they play in other teams together, are neighbors, family, or friends, and this is what should be the most important that we all come from the same district, same city. So I just want for all the teams that made it to go out and play their hearts out. Good luck to all. And South you guys have been working hard and accomplished a title, it might of taken some time but you guys did it, congratulations. I hope you guys do good in CIF even though people are saying the opposite, you guys could accomplish what you guys want and if you lose in the first round it doesn’t matter because you guys gave it all.

• MVHSGAY

Most of you little girls saying once you win CIF two years running weren’t even on the damn team. Not like you girls had any collaboration to the win. Mt. View scouts other players and we know that you guys have players playing outside league! Only because you guys pay other schools not to tell anything. Also buy your damn refs so good shit(: