Girls Soccer Pairings: Claremont and Bishop Amat awarded third and fourth seeds respectively in D-3; Los Altos hosts St. Lucy’s in wild-card thriller on Wednesday

Nearly all of the Tribune’s top-ranked girls soccer teams compete in the CIF-Southern Section Division 3 playoffs, creating a wild race to the finish over the next few weeks.

The Southern Section girls soccer pairings were released on Monday with defending Division 3 champion Bishop Amat seeded fourth and Sierra League champion Claremont seeded third.

All wild card games are Wednesday and the first round on Friday. All games are scheduled to start at 3 p.m., unless a different time is agreed by both schools.

Bishop Amat will open defense of its title by facing the wild-card winner between host Walnut and Cerritos.

Claremont will face the wild-card winner between Atascadero and Bishop Montgomery.
Hacienda League champion Diamond Bar won its first league title since 2004 and will open the playoffs at home against Pac-7 third-place entry Arroyo Grande.
Bonita finished second to Diamond Bar in the Hacienda and will be at home in the first round against Oak Hills. (To continue click thread)

GIRLS SOCCER PLAYOFF SCHEDULE
Wednesday’s wild card games
Division 3

St. Lucy’s at Los Altos, 3 p.m.
Cerritos at Walnut, 3 p.m.
Division 7
South El Monte at Cantwell Sacred Heart, 3 p.m.
Kern Valley at Rosemead, 3 p.m.
Gabrielino at Wildwood, 3 p.m.

Friday’s first round
Division 3
Oak Hills at Bonita, 3 p.m.
Chino Hills at Flintridge Prep, 3 p.m.
Sultana at Ayala, 3 p.m.
WC winner at Bishop Amat, 3 p.m.
WC winner at Claremont, 3 p.m.
Arroyo Grande at Diamond Bar, 3 p.m.
Division 6
Duarte at Garden Grove, 3 p.m.
Nogales at Ocean View, 3 p.m.
Beaumont at Sierra Vista, 3 p.m.
Cate at Wilson, 3 p.m.
Baldwin Park at Segerstrom, 3 p.m.
Loara at La Puente, 3 p.m.
San Dimas bye
Division 7
WC winner at Arroyo, 3 p.m.

Diamond Bar girls soccer celebrating the Hacienda League title.

Sierra League runner-up Ayala is also home against Sultana and Chino Hills is on the road at Flintridge Prep.

In one of the most anticipated wild-card games in Division 3, Los Altos will host St. Lucy’s on Wednesday with the winner facing Del Rey League champion and second seed St. Joseph in the first round.

After advancing to the Division 6 semifinals last year, Valle Vista league champion San Dimas is hoping to take it a step further after being awarded the second seed and a bye into the second round.

San Dimas will host the winner of Friday’s first-round between Oxford Academy and Laguna Blanca on Feb. 22, giving the Saints more than a week to prepare.
Montview League champion Sierra Vista is also hoping to advance deep in the Division 6 playoffs. The Dons open the first round at home against Beaumont.

Montview League runner-up La Puente is home against Loara and Valle Vista runner-up Wilson is home against Cate.

In other Division 6 first-round games, Duarte is at Garden Grove, Nogales at Ocean View and Baldwin Park at Segerstrom.

Mission Valley League champion Arroyo is home in Friday’s Division 7 first-round against the winner of Wednesday’s wild card between Shadow Hills and Animo Leadership.

Three other Mission Valley League teams must win wild card games Wednesday to reach the first round.

Rosemead is home against Kern Valley while South El Monte is at Cantwell Sacred Heart and Gabrielino at Wildwood.

• soccerfan

no south hills?

• LA Futbol

Decision time Freddy! Where are you going to be this week in terms of soccer? Boys Tues/Thurs and Girls Wed/Fri! Of course I hope to see you on Wednesday at LA.

You want a good story, take a look at our LA girls. We graduated our two leading scorers for the past 4 years (Stupin and Cofer) and have been obliterated by injuries this season (FIVE returning starters currently out with season-ending injuries!) Even through all that adversity our ladies were still able to finish 3rd in league and come within inches of playing for a 4th straight league title! Now I realize there are stories like this all over the valley, but I just figured I would share one that might interest you!

• SaintsR4real

Freddy,

The past weeks you have been mentioning that the Lady Saints last game last year was at the semi finals. They actually played St Margarets for the Championship. First time in school history.

GO LADY SAINTS!!!!

• Fred Robledo

Not sure who I’m covering Tuesday, leaning toward Arroyo or Bonita at home in wildcards. We’ll have Los Altos boys at Pasadena covered by the Star-News. On Wednesday for sure covering St. Lucy’s at Los Altos and maybe Damien boys soccer at home Thursday….That is if everyone keeps its 3 p.m., soccer times because I have basketball right after…

• patricjk

Fred, no offense to Los Altos, but why all the media coverage?? The league champions getting no notice at all it appears??

• MVL Fan

Mission Valley League should do well in girls soccer against Div. 7 teams. Maybe MVL girls basketball teams will do well also, against Div. 3 teams. Why such a difference? Because basketball is based upon enrollment every few years. MVL soccer and softball keeps getting lowered. Explain that CIF to one basketball student sitting talking to their friend a soccer player that has a more even playing field. Even so, MVL basketball may surprise and win a game or two this year.

• LA Futbol

Patrick…

You guys play on Friday, as do most teams in the playoffs. The reason for “all the media coverage” is because it’s the only Wednesday matchup between two area teams. Don’t worry…you’ll get your due coverage on Friday!