Northview as dominant as ever at CIF-SS Southern Division finals, winning six individual titles

Below: Northview’s Carlos Garcia, left, beat Canyon’s Jaime Nunez in the 126lb match during the CIF-SS Southern Division Individual wrestling championships at Brea Olinda High

By Keith Lair, Staff Writer
BREA – Excuse Northview assistant coach Bobby Bellamy if he confused the two-day CIF-Southern Section Southern Division wrestling championships as a dual meet.

On Saturday evening, the Vikings emerged with a breakout night, and a school record, winning six CIF-SS individual titles.

“Wow! Wow!” Bellamy said. “That pretty much sums it up. These kids performed at a level that exceeded my expectations.”

Vincent Parra, Carlos Garcia, Daniel Valles, Bryan Salinas, Javier Arellano and Eddie Bernal all scored victories.

“The whole team has been working hard,” Bernal said. “We stick together as a family and we work together. We are all connected and we all have one team goal and the coaches have made that very clear to us. They have high expectations and we embrace the challenge.”

Of the 11 finals matches in which the Vikings had competitors, they won 10.

“The championship round, they just clinged together,” Bellamy said. “It was amazing to win so many. The credit goes all to the kids. They really left everything on the mat.”
The only Northview loss in the day’s final matches was in the 160-pound championship match. Top seeded Steven Lopez fell to Arroyo Valley’s Bryan Garcia, 8-6. (To continue click thread)

Walnut’s Michael Sill won a CIF-SS title. He defeated Bloomington’s Uzo Owuama, 9-7, at 132 pounds.

“It feels amazing,” Sill said. “I had been thinking about it every day. I just had to keep pushing.”

In the lone match of area finalists, Parra defeated Arroyo’s Jonathon Atherton, 8-6, at 106 pounds.

Parra, who had beaten Atherton, a transfer from Monrovia, in the Five Counties Tournament by a point, used a reversal with 20 seconds to go to break a 6-6 tie.

Garcia defeated Jamie Nunez of Anaheim Canyon with a second-round pin at 126 pounds. It was scoreless at the time of the pin.

Valles defeated Canyon’s Joaquin Collister, 4-2, at 138 pounds. Salinas, a sophomore, defeated Rim of the World’s Seth Whisner, the top seed, 5-2, at 145 pounds.

Arellano had the perhaps the largest margin in a championship match, defeating Villa Park’s Matt Brislawn, 10-0.

Diamond Bar’s Nathan Pike was pinned by Matt Nader of Anaheim Canyon with 20.7 seconds remaining in the first period in the 113 final.

West Covina’s Brad Ojala, the top seed at 160 pounds, lost to Troy’s Christian Cabrera, 5-4.
Northview’s Anthony Orozco took third with a 12-3 victory over Norte Vista’s Marco Urena at 195 pounds.

Rosemead scored three third-place finishes. Alberto Flores was upset by Salinas in the 145-pound semifinals, 7-2. He finished third with a third-round pin over Bloomington’s Jorge Medina.

“First is always better,” he said. “I just lost. It was a little disappointing, but at least I came back.”

Devin Ng finished third at 106 and Ryan Maldonado was third at 148 pounds.

Two fifth-place matches went to overtime to determine Masters berths. Northview’s Nick Auxier defeated Arroyo’s David Pimentel at 285 pins by scoring an escape in sudden death for a 3-2 win. West Covina’s Raymond Amaya lost to Cajon’s Jimmy Kuntz in sudden
death, 3-2.

In all, 22 area athletes advanced to the Masters Meet in Temecula.

keith.lair@sgvn.com
626-962-8811, ext. 2242

• Henry

I was really impressed with Northview’s wrestling team. These guys are quite proficient and have a lot of heart. They don’t make a lot of mistakes. In addition, they almost always capitalize on other wrestler’s mistakes. You can tell that these guys spend a lot of time honing their craft and they have excellent coaching. Congratulations and continued success!

• NorthviewMOM

WOOOOT WOOOOOT!

YOU ALL CONTINUE TO AMAZE ME!!

TIME TO BRING IT AT MASTERS!!

• elmontefan

Congrats to the Northview Wrestling team and Coach Ochoa! Great job representing the San Gabriel Valley. I believe your wrestling program is the best on the west coast. I hope your kids get college scholarships! Thanks to the SGV Tribune for putting up something about wrestling! I really wish you guys covered wrestling more.

• nv2006

All the hard work paying off. Congratulations to Coach Ochoa his staff and the wrestlers. Have a great weekend at masters and at Lemoore for the girls.
    To all wrestlers that have earned the right to continue wrestling one more week, ggod luck.It would be good to see the SGV well represented in Bakersfield.