Girls Soccer State Playoffs: Bishop Amat beats Coronado, 2-1; St. Lucy’s wins in PKs; Claremont loses 1-0

Bishop Amat defeated San Diego Coronado 2-1 behind first-half goals from Yazmin Montoya and April Juarez. Coronado scored on a PK early in the second half and nearly tied it in the dying minutes, but the Lancers move on to the second round of the CIF-State Southern California Division II Regional Soccer Playoffs at San Diego Cathedral on Thursday at 4 p.m. Cathedral beat Amat 4-1 in December……Aliso Niguel defeated Claremont 1-0 to advance in the Division I playoffs. Alexia Latkins scored the lone goal of for the Wolverines. Claremont took 10 shots on goal, but couldn’t knock one in. The Pack got a nice effort from keeper Drew Williams with six saves. Sorry we don’t have info on St. Lucy’s, we tried calling.

Bishop Amat game story: For the second year in a row, the Bishop Amat girls soccer team is headed to the semifinals of the CIF State Southern California Regional Division II playoffs. This time it’s courtesy of a 2-1 victory over visiting Coronado of San Diego on Tuesday afternoon.

CIF-State Southern California Regional Playoffs
Girls soccer
Division 1
Tuesday’s results

Aliso Niguel 1, Claremont 0

Division 3
Tuesday’s results

Santa Margarita 7, Cate 0
St. Lucy’s 0, Clovis North 0, St. Lucy’s advances in PKs
Bishop Amat 2, Coronado 1
Cathedral Catholic 3, Citrus vValley 0

Division 3 Semifinals
Thursday’s games

St. Lucy’s (21-11-2) vs. Santa Margarita (17-5-3) at Santa Ana Bowl, 3 p.m.
Bishop Amat (25-4-4-) at San Diego Cathedral Catholic (17-6-5), 4 p.m.
Championship on Saturday at Warren High in Downey, 10:30 a.m.

• Real talk

Lets go Amat!!!! Bring it home.

• Real talk

Lets go Amat!!!! Bring it home.

• CIF Sucks

Wait…the two private schools with all their recruited players won? No way! Get outta town! Haha! CIF is a joke until they separate private and public schools in athletic competition!

• Real talk

Great job Amat keep up the good work!!!!!!

• R Gary

Fred,

CIF put Amat and SL in Div 2 ,not 3 for State playoffs

• NobleFan76

Hey CIF Sucks, make it four private schools. Don’t forget Cathedral Catholic and Santa Margarita. GO AMAT

• katie

Umm last time I checked, Claremont a PUBLIC school beat Amat on Saturday in the Finals. It just matters how good the team is and how they work together as a team, and you don’t have to go to a private school to do that. Stop blaming CIF and think about your team.

• R Gary

CIF Sucks,

Yeah right,recruiting for Girls soccer, Get real. Maybe football. Have you checked the record of St.Lucy’s football team? Go Regents.

• GoAmat

CONGRATS AMAT GIRL!!!! It is so awesome that you girls are still playing and that the team that beat us last week is out. What a way to end your senior year!!! Good luck on thur. I’m sure u girls won’t mind that u have to ride to SD in a classy bus.

• Fred Robledo

Super Tuesday rubbing off or something, lets stop with the class warfare?

• soccerfan

are there video highlights?

• WPOD fan

Well considering that Claremont got bumped up to Div 1 playoffs, instead of playing with Amat and St. Lucy’s, you still gotta give them some credit

• Really?

Hey Fred! You knew St. Lucy’s won because you retweeted it and have it in the headlines and couldn’t even put that one line in the Tribune? Oops, forgot it’s the AMAT school newspaper…what was I thinking

• Fred Robledo

Wrong, I’ll tell you how it works again, so pay attention. Amat was the only team at home and got covered. Claremont and St. Lucy’s were on deep road trips so I left coaches phone numbers with our phone clerks to track down the results to write up a story in the paper just in case the teams didn’t call us. We were able to get in contact with Claremont, but not St. Lucy’s. What are you gonna do, fortunately I was able to keep track of the game through parent tweets and update everyone, but I can’t rely on parent information to write a story, we need to speak to a coach or team rep, which is why there is nothing more than a score. On Thursday, I’m heading to Santa Ana to cover St. Lucy’s, that way there is no way they don’t get covered. I know you all think there are biases, but some teams call in religiously when we’re not there to cover them and some teams don’t. The ones that do, you see in the paper and on the blogs, the ones that don’t we can’t do anything about. BTW, it’s not like we’ve ignored St. Lucy’s in the playoffs, I covered them against Walnut and we covered them against Valencia (with pictures) and Claremont. When they’re at home or in the area, we cover them.

• Real talk

@Fred I think you are doing a great job. I think everyone should get use to reading and hearing about Amat it has been that way for many many years and many years to come, so I say everyone should just embrace it. You really don’t have to come on this site. If you notice there are many story’s of other athletes on her it is just Amat gets the most comments. So like I said keep up the good job Fred.

• Soccer Fan

Fred-

Really happy to see any sort of girl’s high school soccer coverage. Maybe St. Lucy’s should designate a representative to contact you after each game. But, thanks for the coverage that you do. All these girls work so hard it is nice to get coverage!

• In the know

FYI – In regionals teams are placed strickly on school size. The ranges are large and have absolutely nothing to do with the divisions we see in southern section. Claremont had to open with the Division I champion so I think 1-0 was a great effort. Oh and they have rings!!!

• What in the world

Claremont is a very good soccer team and it is too bad they had to face another very good soccer team in the first round. St. Lucy’s gets plenty of press and nobody cares what bus any of the teams are riding on. Having said that, with all of the wonderful talent on all of these teams throughout the valley why do we complain about everything. Ten years ago no one cared about girls soccer now it makes the front page. Who could ask for more besides the great soccer we have been lucky to watch.