Tribune Top Ten Softball Rankings
1. Chino Hills (7-3) –– Considering how many games they played and the difficult tournament in Arizona, the Huskies have done the best of all area teams in the first two weeks of the season. We shouldn’t be surprised, they had a great team on paper and were No. 2 to start the season.
2. St. Lucy’s (6-2) — The Regents are like South Hills baseball, their standings and roster are not available on Maxpreps or anywhere to be found (at least South Hills finally posted a roster). So, we will continue to do the best we can to find out what these girls are doing, and I hope I got the record right. Apparently one of the Regents’ losses was a forfeit (because of a father-daughter dance conflict) and the other loss came in a split against Upland. Look, as long as super pitcher Danielle O’Toole is allowed to do her thing and they score runs, they’re as good as anyone in the Valley.
3. South Hills (4-3) –– The Huskies, like Chino Hills and Bishop Amat, didn’t light the world on fire in the opening two weeks because of their participation in the tough tournament in Arizona. But that doesn’t explain the Huskies’ 4-3 loss to Schurr in the opening round of the Charter Oak tournament at Big League dreams. That’s unacceptable for what we thought was the area’s best team.
4. Bishop Amat (4-3) — Struggled in the tournament of champions in Arizona, losing their final game to Mater Dei 11-4. But if they bounce back and win the Charter Oak tournament this week all will be forgotten. With South Hills knocked out, don’t be surprised if Bishop Amat and Bonita meet in the final.
5. Los Altos (6-1) — Love the record but like Diamond Bar in baseball, not sold considering none of their victories have come against a team with a winning record. Let’s see how they do on Wednesday in the quarterfinals of the Charter Oak tournament against host Charter Oak.
6. Glendora (4-3) — Advanced to the championship of the San Dimas softball tournament with a convincing win over Bonita along the way. However, they did lose their Baseline league opener to Los Osos, 5-1.
7. Covina (5-1) –– An impressive season-opening doubleheader sweep over Claremont, but their schedule has been relatively easy and losing 8-7 to Monrovia is bad for your only loss on the schedule.
8. Ayala (5-2 ) — Have scored 42 runs and given up just 16, but haven’t played the tough tournament schedule as their Sierra League foes. Still. when all is said and done, don’t be surprised if Ayala is competing for one of the top three playoff spots.
9. Bonita (2-3) — The Bearcats are better than this but at least all three losses have come against strong teams in St. Lucy’s, Charter Oak and Glendora. But they have to prove they can beat some of those teams too.
10. Duarte (3-1) — Love the season opening 7-1 win over Arcadia in advancing to the championship of their own tournament before finally losing to 6-1 Santa Fe 8-0. The Falcons softball team, just like in girls basketball, are very competitive and the Montview favorites.