Tribune Top Ten Baseball Poll
1. Charter Oak (6-1) — With all the talk surrounding Bonita, Bishop Amat, Damien and South Hills at the beginning of the season, who would have thought Charter Oak would take over the top spot? They deserve it after a sweep over South Hills, but now the pressure is on because they won’t sneak up on anyone anymore.
2. South Hills (5-2) -- Being No. 1 isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, just ask Bishop Amat. Just when it looked like the Huskies might have one of its best teams in years, they’re suddenly fighting for their playoff lives after getting swept by Charter Oak and going to Damien on Wednesday. It’s still early in league to panic, but if they don’t win on Wednesday, it’s time to panic. 0-3 is 0-3.
3. Bonita (6-1) – Recovered from 2-0 loss to South Hills in the championship of the Dicks Sporting Goods tournament with back-to-back wins over San Dimas and Alta Loma and open the Hacienda today against Diamond Ranch. When Garza pitches it’s an automatic W, the key is how they do on days he doesn’t pitch.
4. Damien (4-2) -- Spartans open the Sierra with a 4-2 win over Claremont and will host South Hills on Wednesday. Can you imagine the Huskies starting 0-3 after a 5-0 start and beating Bonita in the championship of the Dicks Sporting Goods tournament? At home, you have to like Damien’s chances.
5. Diamond Bar (5-1) — After beating Keppel they suffer a 3-0 loss to Chino and open league today against West Covina. Like Bonita, the Brahmas have an ace in Henry Omana. Like Bonita, the rest of their staff is still a work in progress.
6. Northview (4-1-1) – The nameless Vikings (no roster anywhere) opened the Valle Vista with a 9-5 win over Pomona and will face Baldwin Park twice this week. Wish I could tell you more about them, but all we know is their record.
7. San Dimas (5-3) — The Saints have played a decent schedule with losses to Bonita, Temple City and West Torrance, and wins over Arcadia, Pasadena and Tahquitz. My guess is they’re going to compete for the VVL title along with Covina and Northview.
8. Chino Hills (5-3) -- Solid back-to-back wins over Etiwanda and rival Ayala, beating the Bulldogs 13-3 to open the Sierra. The Huskies are another dangerous, free-swinging team in the Sierra than can beat any team on any given day.
9. Bishop Amat (2-5) – Their record is so ugly I’m going to take heat for leaving them in the top ten. But Bishop Amat deserves to be here, and won their biggest game of the season, the Del Rey League opener, 3-0 over Bishop Montgomery. The Lancers losing to top Orange County teams is one thing, but if they start losing in league, then you know they’re in trouble.
10. Covina (3-3) – They continue to be the biggest disappointment because we had such high expectations for them. Look, this team is too good to hover at .500, and by the end of the Valle Vista, they should be the team on top.