La Salle beats Bishop Amat for the first time in history, 7-6, giving the five-time league champs their second league loss since 2007

59880-amatloss.jpeg

When La Salle High School’s Bowdien Derby struckout Andrew Medina to end the game with Bishop Amat’s tying and game-winning runners in scoring position, La Salle coach Harry Agajanian’s face was a picture of relief.

La Salle overcame a five-run deficit to beat Bishop Amat 7-6 for its fist win over Amat in school history.

Agajanian made the risky decision of starting junior pitcher Austin Wallis instead of his senior ace Derby, especially with Amat sending out ace lefty Daniel Zamora
But it paid off.

With the exception of giving up five runs in the second inning, Wallis was solid while La Salle battled back before giving way to Derby to close it out by getting the final two outs in the seventh.

“I thought throwing Wallis we could get them off balance,” Agajanian said. “They’re a good fastball hitting team and Derby is a good fastball pitcher. That’s why we thought we would mix it up a little and throw Austin at them. He has a pretty live fastball too. It’s not 90, but he’s got some good off-speed that keeps you off balance. I think it worked.”

Since Amat entered the Del Rey League in 2007 it has won five straight league titles so impressively that that Tuesday’s loss was just its second loss in more than 70 league games since ’07. (To continue click thread)

La Salle (14-6-1, 6-1) can take it a step further when it faces Amat (14-8, 8-1) for the final time on Friday at Citrus College.

La Salle has played two fewer games than Amat in the Del Rey, but both only have one loss, so the winner will have the inside track toward the title, and La Salle is in a good spot with Derby set to go.

“It would be sweet,” Agajanian said of beating Amat again. “They beat Derby in our first meeting so we’re not going in with the expectation of it’s a lock or anything. It’s baseball and they’re very good. We have to go in, make our pitches, hope Derby’s on and keep swinging the bat like we did today.”

For Bishop Amat, the top-ranked team in Division 4, the loss was unsettling.

After Bryan Menendez drove in a pair of runs, Adam Alcantara followed with a bases-loaded triple to clear the bases to give Amat a 5-0 lead in the second inning, normally insurmountable with Zamora on the hill.

But La Salle countered by scoring five runs, all with two outs, to tie the game in the third, 5-5.

After Zamora struckout the first two batters in the inning, Noeh Martinez, who went 3-for-4, singled, stole second and scored on Jordan Rodgers’ infield single to make it 5-1.

After Zamora hit Derby to put a second runner aboard, he appeared to get an inning-ending ground ball to short, but it was bobbled for an error. La Salle made them pay with four unearned runs courtesy of Antonio Ruiz’s single that drove in two, and Michael Pedote’s RBI single that brought in the game-tying score.

Amat wasn’t done with the miscues.

After Derby singled to leadoff the fifth, Chris Williams’ fly to left was dropped for an error. After Antonio Ruiz’s bunt single loaded the bases, Derby scored on a wild pitch and David Sanchez’s infield single scored Williams for the two-run lead.

“For us to squander a 5-0 lead with Zamora on, that’s not alright,” Amat coach Andy Nieto said. “That’s a formula and recipe for being eliminated in the first round (of the playoffs).

“But you have to give them credit. It was a great job on their part for taking advantage of the extra opportunities that we gave them.”

Nieto then turned his attention to Friday’s rubber game that ultimately could decide the league title.

“We’ve got to lick our wounds,” Nieto said. “Our players should be hurting and should be wounded and deserve to be. But we got a find a way to pick ourselves up from this and get back to work.”

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGU0hR1lZA Jose

watch the full game here…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGU0hR1lZA

• SoLucky

La Salle have to disrespect and say that the Amat team is over rated. For one La Salle didn’t win by like 5 points. Secondly. They scored all their runs on errors. Didn’t hear La salle saying anything the first game thet Amat beat them.

• Lancelot

La Salle won the game, period. Errors are part of the game and they took advantage of the Lancer miscues and came out on top Tuesday. Should be a good game on Friday! La Salle still has one game left against The Bishop Amat Lancers and they also have St. Paul twice, so I wouldn’t start engraving any Trophies just yet. See ya’ll Friday!!!

• Lancelot

Fred, why is the picture all squinched and pressed together? Just asking.

• c’mon man

Nice win ! but really… you post a 12 min video of the 1st Ever win of La Salle over Amat. Geesh!!! Post a video of a Championship Game or something… C’MON MAN…SET YOUR GOALS HIGHER LA SALLE!!! oh by the way a rivalry is when your closer to 50% of the wins against your opponent.

• SoLucky

Lancerlot….Bottom line!! We have two things that you guys don’t and will probably never have!!! A RING!!! And RESPECT!!! Good luck on Friday Amat!!

• Lancelot

SoLucky, you sound confused my friend? Are you a Bishop Amat Lancer Fan? Maybe a La Salle Lancer Fan? My guess is your a fake. Posting that Amat is “over rated” then you call out “Lancerlot” and say that, “We have two things that you guys don’t and will probably never have!!! A RING!!! And RESPECT!!! Good luck on Friday Amat!!” What the hell man? Are you schizo? Eitherway, I don’t get your postings? You don’t like Amat. You’re proud of Amat? SMH…..

• Fred Robledo

I got an email saying the La Salle-Amat video was pulled because La Salle is worried about potential playoff opponents using it to scout them. Lame. La Salle is also playing the game at Citrus because it feels the field dimensions give them a better chance against Amat. I would never give up home field.

• CDM[S]

Say what you want Fred, I’m sure coach Harry is doing what’s best for his team.

• Lancelot

Why not look for every “advantage”? I’ve seen Amat hitters check swing Homeruns at La Salle. I wouldn’t give up home field either but when your looking for anything to get a spark, why ot give this a try too. The Lancers are gonna be ready come Friday…..where ever they meet!!!

• Blackmoxi

Fred, the email letter that was sent to you was also BCC to various players and parents on the la salle team and there was no mention about other teams scouting them. If you would have that email saying that, why don’t you just post it.

I believe the video being pulled could actually be an advantage for both teams while they are both fighting for play-off advantage there is still a lot of games to be play. And why not give up the home field advantage when everyone who comes to La Salle can fatten their stats off a disadvantaged field,including La Salle. (Whats Lame about that)?

When La Salle Plays Bishop Amat on their field or any other field other than La Salle field your going to have a more competitive game than watching Bishop Amat hit home runs on a short field.

• Blackmoxi

• Lancelot

Moxi- I have to agree about the field.

• GoAmat

LET’S GO AMAT!!!! JUST PICK UP ALL THE PIECES AND GET THIS GAME OVER WITH!!! WE ALL know you young men can do this!!! Hold ur heads up because after all we are the defending CHAMPS!!!