Breaking News: St. Lucy’s softball coach Ryan Nuveman replaced by assistant Laura Macias; St. Lucy’s defeats Charter Oak, 9-0

St. Lucy’s softball coach Ryan Nuveman and two of his assistants are no longer with the team, according to school officials, leaving the only remaining assistant, Laura Macias, to take over the rest of the season. It is not immediately known if Nuveman was fired or resigned after meeting with school officials. When we learn more, we will share it. St. Lucy’s is hosting Charter Oak and reporter John Honell is there, and confirmed that Macias is coaching the team. Honell said he spoke with a school official, who said Nuveman is no longer with the team for “personal” reasons. When Honell turns in his story with updates on the coaching situation, I will post it. The news comes a game after St. Lucy’s usual starter Danielle O’Toole did not start against Chino Hills in last week’s game that could gave given the Regents a share of the league title. Chino Hills won 7-3. St. Lucy’s is second in the Sierra League and ranked third in Division 3.

GAME STORY: St. Lucy’s defeated Charter Oak, 9-0.

By John Honell, Correspondent
It was Senior Day at the final home game of the season for the St. Lucy’s High School softball team.

Along with usual flowers and ballons given to the seniors on both teams, the Regents celebrated by pounding out 11 hits in a 9-0 win over Charter Oak on Tuesday.
Senior Danielle O’Toole threw a four-hit shutout and senior Brandi

Harkness hit a pair of home runs and drove in seven runs to lead the way. The win means the Regents (20-5, 7-2) will finish in sole possession of second place in the Sierra League. That should get the Regents a home game in the first round of the CIF-Southern Section playoffs that begin next week. (To continue click thread).

The Regents had a new head coach, Laura Macias, who has been a four year assistant at the school.

She replaced Ryan Nuveman who will not be with the team the rest of the season.

“He will not be with the team for personal reasons,” Regents Athletic Director Valerie Pentalino said. “It’s great to clinch second,” Macias said. “We haven’t done that well in a long time. Last year we were a wild card in CIF so this year we’ll be seeded a little bit better. I’ve been with with this group of girls for four years and this is the group to do it. With
all the seniors, its a team effort.”

The Regents scored three runs in the bottom of the first and never looked back.

The leadoff hitter appeared to have singled but was called out for hitting the ball when she was out of the batter’s box. O’Toole walked and Harkness belted a hanging changeup to center field for an inside the park homerun.

Laura Swan followed with a single and Danielle Marvidis was hit by a pitch. Caroline Smith singled to drive in Swan. Harkness, who has signed with St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, singled to drive in a run in the second inning for a 4-0 lead and then O’Toole took charge of the game.

O’Toole, who has signed with San Diego State, scattered four hits in shutting out the Chargers for the second time this season. She didn’t allow a hit until the sixth inning.

“This place has been like home for me,” O’Toole said. “These girls have been a family for me so it was emotional today. I wasn’t concerned about a no-hitter but I think I did a good job of getting them to hit the ball on the ground because I have a great defense
behind me.”

With a veteran team,the Regents were pre-season favorites to win the Sierra League.
A win last week over first place Chino Hills would have given the Regents a tie first.
O’Toole didn’t start the game and the Huskies quickly jumped on top and coasted to the win.
“I was very disappointed to not win league,” O’Toole said. “Chino Hills is a great team but so are we. We wanted to give them a different look last week so I wasn’t disappointed not starting. Anything that will give our team a chance to win is OK with me.”

The Chargers didn’t get a hit until pinch hitter Taylor Hawkins singled with one out in the sixth inning.

“Taylor is a senior,” Chargers coach Scott Higuera said. “She is one of t he few kids on the team that has had any success against O’Toole so we had confidence in her and she tried to start a rally for us.”

The Regents broke it wide open in the sixth, scoring five times capped by Harkness’ second inside the park homerun of the game. It was a grand slam giving her 7 RBI’s on 3 for 4 hitting. She was robbed of a fourth hit when Charger’s left fielder Alison Strycula
made a diving catch in the fifth inning.

“This was my first two-homerun game,” an excited Harkness said. “The first one was a changeup but I saw it coming and just waited for it and connected with it. I’m just hoping for a first-round game (in the playoffs) because we have great fans.”

The Chargers (13-9, 4-5), who dropped out of a third place tie with Ayala and the final automatic bid to the playoffs,are hoping for an at-large bid this weekend.

“We play Chino Hills on Thursday and we have our application ready to turn in as soon as that game ends and we’ll hope for the best.”