Breaking News: St. Lucy’s softball coach Ryan Nuveman replaced by assistant Laura Macias; St. Lucy’s defeats Charter Oak, 9-0

St. Lucy’s softball coach Ryan Nuveman and two of his assistants are no longer with the team, according to school officials, leaving the only remaining assistant, Laura Macias, to take over the rest of the season. It is not immediately known if Nuveman was fired or resigned after meeting with school officials. When we learn more, we will share it. St. Lucy’s is hosting Charter Oak and reporter John Honell is there, and confirmed that Macias is coaching the team. Honell said he spoke with a school official, who said Nuveman is no longer with the team for “personal” reasons. When Honell turns in his story with updates on the coaching situation, I will post it. The news comes a game after St. Lucy’s usual starter Danielle O’Toole did not start against Chino Hills in last week’s game that could gave given the Regents a share of the league title. Chino Hills won 7-3. St. Lucy’s is second in the Sierra League and ranked third in Division 3.

GAME STORY: St. Lucy’s defeated Charter Oak, 9-0.

By John Honell, Correspondent
It was Senior Day at the final home game of the season for the St. Lucy’s High School softball team.

Along with usual flowers and ballons given to the seniors on both teams, the Regents celebrated by pounding out 11 hits in a 9-0 win over Charter Oak on Tuesday.
Senior Danielle O’Toole threw a four-hit shutout and senior Brandi

Harkness hit a pair of home runs and drove in seven runs to lead the way. The win means the Regents (20-5, 7-2) will finish in sole possession of second place in the Sierra League. That should get the Regents a home game in the first round of the CIF-Southern Section playoffs that begin next week. (To continue click thread).

The Regents had a new head coach, Laura Macias, who has been a four year assistant at the school.

She replaced Ryan Nuveman who will not be with the team the rest of the season.

“He will not be with the team for personal reasons,” Regents Athletic Director Valerie Pentalino said. “It’s great to clinch second,” Macias said. “We haven’t done that well in a long time. Last year we were a wild card in CIF so this year we’ll be seeded a little bit better. I’ve been with with this group of girls for four years and this is the group to do it. With
all the seniors, its a team effort.”

The Regents scored three runs in the bottom of the first and never looked back.

The leadoff hitter appeared to have singled but was called out for hitting the ball when she was out of the batter’s box. O’Toole walked and Harkness belted a hanging changeup to center field for an inside the park homerun.

Laura Swan followed with a single and Danielle Marvidis was hit by a pitch. Caroline Smith singled to drive in Swan. Harkness, who has signed with St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, singled to drive in a run in the second inning for a 4-0 lead and then O’Toole took charge of the game.

O’Toole, who has signed with San Diego State, scattered four hits in shutting out the Chargers for the second time this season. She didn’t allow a hit until the sixth inning.

“This place has been like home for me,” O’Toole said. “These girls have been a family for me so it was emotional today. I wasn’t concerned about a no-hitter but I think I did a good job of getting them to hit the ball on the ground because I have a great defense
behind me.”

With a veteran team,the Regents were pre-season favorites to win the Sierra League.
A win last week over first place Chino Hills would have given the Regents a tie first.
O’Toole didn’t start the game and the Huskies quickly jumped on top and coasted to the win.
“I was very disappointed to not win league,” O’Toole said. “Chino Hills is a great team but so are we. We wanted to give them a different look last week so I wasn’t disappointed not starting. Anything that will give our team a chance to win is OK with me.”

The Chargers didn’t get a hit until pinch hitter Taylor Hawkins singled with one out in the sixth inning.

“Taylor is a senior,” Chargers coach Scott Higuera said. “She is one of t he few kids on the team that has had any success against O’Toole so we had confidence in her and she tried to start a rally for us.”

The Regents broke it wide open in the sixth, scoring five times capped by Harkness’ second inside the park homerun of the game. It was a grand slam giving her 7 RBI’s on 3 for 4 hitting. She was robbed of a fourth hit when Charger’s left fielder Alison Strycula
made a diving catch in the fifth inning.

“This was my first two-homerun game,” an excited Harkness said. “The first one was a changeup but I saw it coming and just waited for it and connected with it. I’m just hoping for a first-round game (in the playoffs) because we have great fans.”

The Chargers (13-9, 4-5), who dropped out of a third place tie with Ayala and the final automatic bid to the playoffs,are hoping for an at-large bid this weekend.

“We play Chino Hills on Thursday and we have our application ready to turn in as soon as that game ends and we’ll hope for the best.”

• let the parents run the show

great first year for this new AD: fires the soccer coach and now the softball coach. Way to let the parents run the show

• Husky4life

Coaches are being railroaded everywhere! The Parents are terrible these days. Why do you think all these coaches are resigning!

• Regents in the House

St. Lucy’s school officials did the right thing. Nueveman is not a softball coach. St. Lucy school officials have not put the emphasis on sports overall as you might think. However, it is finally coming to their attention that sports get come attention as it draws prospects in recruitng potential 8h graders. They saw that first hand when waterpolo and volleyball have made their CIF runs.

The new AD was a must. Anyone who has been a student/parent at that school knew how desperately they were in need of an AD. The D was not a true AD. She was more like an office aid. The sports teams and coaches have to buy all their own gear, tape, raise money for refs, etc. College recruiters had to contact coaches directly and nothing was instrumented or orchestrated from the previous AD office. I am sure the new AD has a great deal on her plate. I am sure one or two bad decisions will accompany it. But Nueveman would not be a bad decision. There isn’t a parent/student/fan or even SGVT reader that wasn’t wondering what Nueveman was thinking not starting one of the top pitchers in the valley in the top game. Its that simple. Its baseball (softball).

• http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvfootball Aram

Just guessing, but this probably had something to do with not starting the ace in the biggest game of the year. I’m just stabbing at this point.

Yeah, you could see this disaster coming from a mile away. Between Harkness’ ability to end games with her bat, the Chino Hills coach sounding off, the St. Lucy’s parents and their craziness, and the odd coaching move last week, the Regents HAVE TO BE the funnest team around.

It’s like Reality TV on the softball field.

• reality

Don’t know nada about this coach or any of the drama. But it seems to me unless players are in some kind of danger from a coach reasons to leave or to fire should be private. With walk-on coaching the norm, coaches now have zero cred and one who accepts a coaching job in this climate must be a glutton for punishment. Expect this dudes name to be dragged through the mud via the blogs. Like Aram said lets all take a stab at it.

• Fred Robledo

Just a reminder, will not tolerate personal attack comments on coaches or players. You’re free to discuss coaching decisions and what this means for St. Lucy’s going forward, etc, but do not make it personal, thanks.

• B C !

When the hell did this new policy start Fred??? what a joke statement based on what goes on with the blogs daily.

• Fred Robledo

Go back and search the history, have made the same statement many times. I delete multiple comments daily. We probably won’t agree on what types of comments should be deleted or allowed, but I delete what I think is necessary so threads won’t get out of control. In situations like this, where the topic is the firing or removal of a coach, or something similar where I think the comments could get out of hand quick, I fire off a warning like I did today.

• softball fan

Laura is gonna be an excellent coach, she needs some support here as St. Lucys makes their CIF run. Please be supportive! Also don’t blast Nuveman, he did the best that he could with what knowledge he had. The prior AD probably should have been more selective when choosing a coach. They should have just kept Crampton! Go Regents!

• I’ll take a miracle too, please

If bad coaches going away is in the wind, oh please blow our way!

• Spartans/Regents Fan

St. Lucy’s let goes Soccer coach and Softball coach within two weeks. Why are they doing this? Soccer coach just sent team to CIF Semi-Finals…how do you get let go from doing that? st. lucys making some crazy moves.

• stacey……the older sibling

I thought the strategy of not starting O’Toole last week good, for the following reasons, CHills hit the crap out of the ball the first go round, why waste O’Toole in the rematch, see if you can catch them off-guard, what would have been very interesting would be a rematch in the CIF finals……who do you start if you meet up again…..of course the “libero” couldn’t come up with this on his own he was busy drooling over the powerhouse Duarte Falcons and how high he could rank them, I’ll give you 10-1 odds they can’t beat a single team in your top 10 Junior. I’ll miss Elita and her smile most of all at the Regents games..

• at the game

For the first time this year(even after 19, now 20 wins), the girls looked joyful to be playing the game. I was nice to watch.

• Big Deal

The interim head coach just put the team on auto-pilot and let them play today. Same batting order, no substitutions despite a dominating game. Much of the same. I didn’t even notice Nuveman was gone.

None of SL coaches in the entire program have the capacity to coach effectively for this program. That includes the JV coaches – they are much less skilled than Nuveman.

It’s one thing to be liked and another to have the skill set to run a team at game time. We’ll see…

• Falcon Coach Paul

stacey……the older sibling said:

the “libero” couldn’t come up with this on his own he was busy drooling over the powerhouse Duarte Falcons and how high he could rank them, I’ll give you 10-1 odds they can’t beat a single team in your top 10 Junior.

Hello Stacey

Are you the same Stacey Nueveman that I coached when you were 14? When you joined the 16 and under Villa Park Classics run by Howard Kobatta and me the head coach(Paul). I have been at Duarte H.S the past 3 years. The Duarte girls taken League every year. I took this team cause it was a challenge. They finish second to last the previous year before I took over. Also with no travel ball players my first year. I agree with you totally we are not as strong as many team but we try and getting better every year. We do not have D1 players but we have good players. I also agree with you that Fred has been very kind to us. But a team like us and in our league needs to be built up and the girls feel better about themselves. Hopefully the youth softball programs and our weaker HS team improve. And Hopefully one day soon we will be able to compete with teams like Chino Hills, Bishop Amat, St Lucy’s, South Hills, La Canada, Charter Oak and so many other great teams. I wish Coach Ryan the best and hope that he gets to coach again! Stacey I would love see you again and visit my Duarte girls. They are not super stars but they are wonderful girl’s that would love to meet you!

• Got Coaching?

Big D- Wow, You are either a friend of n00bman or have no clue, Really…. Wow. The JV coaches could have ran circles around The n00bman. They actually PLAYED the game not watch it, The current coach has the RESPECT of the girls, n00bman couldn’t understand that, Respect is not given, It’s earned. Batting order was slightly different and but more effective, He ran the team on Spite, Regardless of how it affected the team as a whole, So glad that negativity is gone. Time to move foward and in a positive way.

Big Deal said:

• Big Deal

I’ve watched both teams all season. As for the JV team, you have to scratch your head for the obvious coaching errors that happen all of the time and in every game. I could fill a few long paragraphs on what kind of game strategy (or lack thereof) they employ. If you disagreed with Nuveman, you would be appalled with the JV.

• Fred Robledo

Junior varsity? Are we talking junior varsity? Please, I watch enough errors in high school softball, I can only imagine what it’s like on the JV level. In any case, all teams make errors. My feeling on coaches never changes, they get too much credit for winning, and most of the blame for losing. Probably not fair, but that’s the way it is. My experience dealing with parents is different. From their perspective, players get all the credit when they win, and it’s on the coaches when they lose. I’ve been around parents long enough to know some of their complaints are valid, but most of the time they’re looking for someone to blame when things aren’t going right, and that’s usually the coach. Read a few football blogs and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

• Got Coaching?

I got to agree with Fred the coaches get a lot of credit for the girls they “Inherit” into their programs and not actually make better, HS Coaches should just assess the best players and play that team together and tweak it as needed, Some of these coaches try to reinvent the wheel when it’s not neccessary. The problme with JV is the level of play is below what Varsity is so there will be more errors, The players aren’t as good and the coaches do the best with what they have, It doesn’t always work since these players are on JV for a reason, It’s same at college level with Intermural Softball as JV if you don’t make it to the big show. Not trying to be negative but JV is to develop possible Varsity players but parents will never agree with this because they all believe their kid is Jennie Finch and should be the #1 starting (insert position here) on the team that bats clean up. I see/hear it all the time. So they quit instead of trying to develop and improve THEIR game. It’s not pretty but it is the way it is.

• Regent Fan

Hey no Big Deal, you have no idea what you are talking about, JV coaches ran circles around RN. I too have also seen them coach, they allow the girls to play, the girls own the game, not the coaches. Sounds like you may have put your eggs in the wrong basket. You are absolutely in the minority, the 1%. With these girls, auto-pilot is a good thing – they have been on their own for two years already. To watch them play yesterday, they were as good as I have seen them all year. There is some batting order adjustments that need to be made – I have confidence in the new coach that she will make them. It’s not like she’s had a whole lot of time to make these changes, but don’t expect her to have try-outs either. Just getting ready for a CIF run.

• The Professor and Mary Ann

Aram said:

Aram you are too funny, but this was more like Gilligans Island where Gilligans antics kept them stranded on the island. It is so NICE to be rescued!

• Proud28

@ Falcon Coach Paul:
    Are you the same Paul who coached the San Gabriel Valley Knights? I find it wonderful that once again you have taken a team because of the challenge and have made them successful. However, I do wonder about your comment in regards to them ever being able to compete with teams like Amat or Charter Oak, but if there was ever a coach that could do it you would be the one. Good Luck Paul and the Duarte girls softball team.

By the way, my daughter is now playing softball and I think it would be wonderful if you could one day show her a few pointers.

• Big Deal

Nuveman:
    2011-2012……20-5-0 Sierra 2nd place
    2010-2011……16-13-0 CIF quarterfinals
    2009-2010……17-12-0 CIF first round

Crampton:
    2009-2010…….9-16-0 (1-9 league)

Fred, I don’t know if you’ve every actually coached youth sports at any level. Until you’ve done it, you may not understand what it’s like to have the “parents from hell” stirring up dissent with the rest of the parents and ultimately, the kids on the team.

You’re points about credit/blame are accurate though. Coaches are a necessary evil in most cases, you know, the “do no harm” rule as a minimum requirement for the job. Without totally understanding the underlying dynamic of SL varsity’s team, on the field they played to their potential.

Nuveman was not a competent strategist by any means, but there was consistency in the team’s performance and you really couldn’t argue with his lineup and defensive scheme. In other words, the team was not held back from winning and their record speaks for itself.

But Nuveman’s biggest problem was that he was tone deaf in dealing with the parents. He had no support from them yet he couldn’t grasp what he was up against. He should have allowed some bench players to play – I would say “often”, but they never played – he would have done more for team building (and quieted the parent in this thread who refers to him as “N00bman”). But again, Nuveman feared the parents of the pitcher and infielders, who would have thrown a fit about their princesses having to sit a few innings once in a while.

Fred, the drive to remove Nuveman was made by the very parents of the girls that are frequently featured in photos and stories on the your blog. Great kids but with albatross parents.

And these parents, along with the new AD are setting a very dangerous precedent. Who in their right mind is going to want to coach ANY sport at St. Lucy’s with a likely firing driven by petty, personal political issues?

St. Lucy’s has had one of their most successful years in school history with fantastic seasons in volleyball, water polo, basketball, soccer and now softball. In fact, amazing success.

If SL bows out of the softball playoffs early, I think these parents ought to take a good look in the mirror and ask themselves if they really did all they could to support these players. Heck, they ought to take a look anyway regardless of how the team does. A coaching move this late in the season is as baffling as Nuveman’s decision to not start O’Toole against Chino Hills. From the outside it really looks idiotic, doesn’t it?

As for “Regent Fan”, one would hope that your daughter is a senior so you would not be around to add any more invective to an already tarnished program next year. The more positive behaving-parents in the program, the better. I will give you this, the JV girls do get to play. But YOU clearly do not know anything about the game of softball.

• Don Julio

Big Deal, You are obviously biased, What you fail to see and I have seen is this group of girls that were not allowed to play under Crampton because they were freshman, Has come up together through the HS but more importantly Premiere Fastpitch travel teams (where they got better), They were the ones that accomplished getting to the CIF rounds the last 3 years, Nuve just happened to be the beneficiary of this talented group of girls, He rode their coattails and took the credit for it, He brought nothing to the table and had nothing to lose, He held these girls back with his strange logic and bad advice from his drinking buddy’s, He did not communicate and was childish at times when he was questioned about his rash questionable decisions, He didn’t get respect by most because he didn’t give respect, That is probably why he’s gone. You can read stats all day long but I’ll take heart over stats any day of the week. Go Regents and Move Foward, It’s also time for you to move on Big Deal, your not gonna get any sympathizers here.

Big Deal said:
    n00bman:
    2011-2012……20-5-0 Sierra 2nd place
    2010-2011……16-13-0 CIF quarterfinals
    2009-2010……17-12-0 CIF first round

• reality

Lets see if I got this straight. According to Don Julio and Robledo, coaches that win should get little or no credit for winning especially when they are dealt a good hand. All the parents want is (this is the clincher) is to make sure their angel is penciled in the lineup and then get out of the way? What about the little angels that are not in the lineup? those parents need to just shut up right? Is there any scenario where the coach looks good with these circumstances. Don and Fred are right, who needs a good coach when you have the goods just hand the team over to the first parent that shows up to practice. Don just curious, what faction do you represent, disgruntled parent, player, coach or drinking buddy. Your screen name may be a clue.

• Don Julio

Reality, In this case, yes but as the general consensus, Of course not. Look at Los Altos, Coach did a great job as a coach to extract the most from his girls, They performed better than expected, Not taking anything from them, but even he said this. RN inherited a powerhouse, It could have been Ronald McDonald coaching, he would have had similiar successes is all I’m saying. I’m not any of the disgruntled bunch, I’m a blogger blogging that reads the mail, Its a blog, Take it for what it is……..for now another shot!

• Don Julio

Too funny, I had quite the chuckle on that one! That’s the best analogy yet!
    …..Back to my shot!

The Professor and Mary Ann said:
    Aram said:

• 2009 season

Mr. Julio, respectfully your comments about Crampton and freshmen on varsity are inaccurate. During her last year she had a handful of freshmen that are now seniors on the varsity team. O’Toole started on the mound and split time with the junior Dendecker and Harkness. Yes, Harkness pitched a few varsity games but mostly started at right field or 1st base. Mavridis was the starting shortstop. Castro (now at West Covina) started at 2nd base. Swan came up towards the middle of the season from JV and pitched a few games and played at third base. That was the last year St. Lucy’s played Amat in non-league games, they split the double header and Lucy’s was one error away from taking both games, not bad for freshman. One game, I think against Chino, they had Harkness at 1st, Castro at 2nd, Mavridis at SS, Swan at 3rd and O’Toole on the mound, an all freshman infield.

• Sam Hell

Come on Julio get your facts straight. This is ridiculous, think of poor Ricki Bobby he lived his whole life based on if you ain’t first your last. Hid dad was high when he said that were you drinking when you blogged. Causes problems.

• Falcon Coach Paul

Proud28 said

Falcon Coach Paul:
    1. Are you the same Paul who coached the San Gabriel Valley Knights? I am guessing you graduated from St Lucy’s?

I am the one and only, I still have the red Knights jacket. Great parents and fantasic group of girls, memories! Thank you for your kind words.

2. By the way, my daughter is now playing softball and I think it would be wonderful if you could one day show her a few pointers.

I would love to see you and for you to bring your daughter. I would be more than willing to help your daughter.

• Saddened

I am appalled by the comment “They actually PLAYED the game not watch it.” in respect to making a person a good coach or not. So lets look at some people who played the game at a high level who couldn’t coach…

Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexel, Isaiah Thomas. All great players, hard to argue they didn’t know the game from their experiences, but were terrible coaches.

That statement is so derogatory on so many levels. Basically you are saying that Doug Blevins has no right to be a coach cause he never played football. Do you even know who he is? No of course not, you only care about yourself. He is a NFL placekicking coach, and he has no sports experiences at all. Why? He hasn’t walked since he was three due to Cerebral Palsy, but according to you he shouldn’t ever be allowed to coach.

Or how about Lawrence Frank? If you don’t know, he is the head coach of the Detroit Pistons. Did you know he never made it on his HS team? He was cut. Never played college ball or professional ball. He started coaching as the student Manager for Bob Knight at Indiana. So he spent his entire life learning the game by “watching not playing. But of course in your infinite wisdom he isn’t qualified either.

Rick Majerus was not a good basketball player, don’t think he ever played varsity basketball and was a student manager in college. Seems like he has done okay for himself in coaching by “watching”.

Or how about Lou Cvijanovich? Probably don’t know that name either. But he coached for 51 years, the most successful coach ever in California. The only coach to hold Football, Basketball, and Baseball CIF titles as a coach. He told me that one of those sports he never really played, but took over after the coach quit midseason, with no practical experience he taught himself the game, years later winning a CIF championship.

You are engaging in a classical fallacy, or “cum hoc ergo propter hoc”, believing that correlation implies a causal relation. Which we know is not true, but people use these types of things to justify to themselves their own actions.

Please do us a favor stop disrespecting coaches everywhere. Better yet, stop disrespecting humanity by implying that people have no ability to learn if they have not ability to do.

Might this guy been a bad coach? Sure I guess. Was it because he never played the game himself? Ludicrous.

• getreal

What is going on here? Can you all just shut up! None of you are qualified to coach anything, nothing, zilch, nada, so just stop your chest pumping or gut busting. Goodness 1/2 of you are barley qualified to parent more less coach. If your daughter plays softball or your son plays baseball and is a good athlete good for them, not you. Stop living threw your kids.Just because you coached a kid back in the day and now they are headed to a big school, news flash it has nothing to do with you. Get real and move on.

• Proud28

@ Falcon Coach Paul:
    No I did not play for St. Lucy’s. I played for the San Gabriel Valley Knights and I too still have the red jacket.

As for my daughter she made the All-Star team this year for softball. You know where my mom works so if you could give her a call or stop by maybe we could arrange a time for you to teach my daughter a few things. Thank you!

• For real

>>getreal said:< <

>>Just because you coached a kid back in the day and now they are headed to a big school, news flash it has nothing to do with you.< <
    Actually, in order to earn a scholarship to a "big school" as you say, it does involve the parents. Let's see, paying for travel ball, hitting lessons, pitching lessons, travel for the showcases, Nationals, scheduling vacation time around Nationals, bats, gloves, cleats, being at all practices and lessons because no one should ever leave their minor children alone, too many weirdos. It IS a family commitment, you have no idea.

>>Stop living threw your kids.< <
    My kid is too big to be throwing around

>>Goodness 1/2 of you are barley qualified to parent more less coach.< <
    Sound like you are part of this group. I belong to the other half. Btw, what does barley have to do with this, you must like beer.

>>Can you all just shut up!<<
    Please lead by example and go away

• For real

>>getreal said:< <

>>Stop living threw your kids.< <
    My kid is too big to be throwing around

>>Can you all just shut up!<<
    Please lead by example and go away

• Hope little Suzy is proud

With a record of 19-5 and a 2nd place finish in league, the parents felt they had something to complain about, what does that tell you about the parents-greedy, self-centered and selfish. Hope the future coaches know what they’re getting into. On second thought, what does that say about the administration to allow them to push yet another coach out-greed, self-centered and selfish, just what you think of when you think nice religious school. Wow, what a group of nit-wits.

• Ricky Bobby

Sam Hell said:

What do mean, that movie was not real? I have been putting a cougar in the batting cage with my daughter to help with her fear of the rise ball. It has worked!!

• just a guess

@Hope little Suzy is proud
    @getreal
    @Big Deal

Seems like similar writing styles – I guess it is the same person.

• just a guess

@Hope little Suzy is proud
    @getreal
    @Big Deal

• Wrong again

@just a guess said-
    Wrong answer-
    Nop not same person, must have more than 1 person who thinks you’re fools. Keep trying to convince yourselves you’re thoughtful and considerate. Any way you twist it, the truth shows.

• sam hell

What do mean that movie wasn’t real I based my whole life on it. Looks like a lot of other people on the blog did too. Now what am I going to do. Shake and bake I guess.

• AMAT 73

saddened,
    You forgot Jerry West, Willis Reed and a few others in your statement. They lack of success in the coaching field probably had more to due with their greatness on the court rather than not being on par with what it takes to win. I believe Magic even said he could not relate to the players attitude or their lack of “THE HEART OF A CHAMPION ” on the court. Those you mentioned as coaches are some of the greatest to play the game . It’s tough when you expect that same level from players who just don’t have it . One who succeeded was Mike Ditka although it was in football but he made it to the big one and won but it also created his downfall . Remember Bart Starr’s run at coaching ?? Phil Jackson , Pat Rielly( SPELLING ? ) great success but not household names when speaking of the great ones on the court of play but as far as coaches , top notch. Usually the ones who don’t make the cut but love the game become great students of the game which in some cases turns into great coaches when they get their chance as you stated. So you are slightly correct on those not being great coaches but I think because of a different reason and not because of their lack of knowledge of the game.

• OldMan in Chino

To Saddened:

In the realm of baseball there are to Hall of Fame managers who has less than distinguished playing careers: Walter Alston and Tommy Lasorda.
    I agree that many who may not have the physical tools to succeed in playing the sport may excel in the coaching of it. Of course remember to factor in athletes who successfully made the transition from playing the sport to coaching it: Dan Gable and Cael Sanderson, both who were NCAA championship wrestlers and also coached NCAA Championship wrestling teams (Iowa and Penn State).

• sam hell

What about Jackie Moon he was a great player/coach with the Tropics.
    Hell of a promoter as well.

• in the stands

Basketball had an awesome season. Basketball coach is next on the chopping block!

• EachGameMatters

Ok so as far as I can tell the SL certainly did not get the W against Chino Hills last time. So why not switch it up? SL might still have lost against Chino Hills even if O’toole was pitching. you can’t say they would have won. I’m not saying they would have loss. You just don’t know what could have happened. And SL did leave base runners on. It’s not all the pitchers fault. The hitters need to capitalize too. And you know what? Hats off to Chino Hills. They capitalized and did their job. This is a game where anything could happen. SL just didn’t happen to get the win this time. You can’t blame it on one thing. There are 21 outs to be played. 21 chances. Anything can happen. You can’t rely on the pitcher, no matter how good they are. Why is it this game that pisses people off? They lost the other one to Chino Hills also. So why is it this one? Each game matters, not just the last one. I don’t see people getting mad about when O’toole didn’t get the W the time before. She’s an amazing pitcher, Chino Hills did their job. All games matter. The other one was just as important. SL can still go take it to people. And I know they can do great things. They already have.

• Getreal

• Broom Hilda

Love it!

The Professor and Mary Ann said:
    Aram said:

The Professor and Mary Ann said:
    Aram said:

The Professor and Mary Ann said:
    Aram said:

The Professor and Mary Ann said:
    Aram said:

The Professor and Mary Ann said:
    Aram said:

• Sam Hell

What happened? It was like locust in here and with Nuve gone, a couple games under the belt, you can’t find them. They must be swarming to get another coach.