TRACK: The road to Mt. SAC and the CIF finals begins at Saturday’s CIF prelims

Division I, Trabuco Hills High School: Division 1 prelim heat sheets
Division II, Moorpark High School: Division 2 prelim heat sheets
Division 3, Estancia High School: Division 3 prelim heat sheets
Division 4, Carpenteria High School: Division 4 prelim heat sheets

BOYS TOP TEN STATE LEADERS
GIRLS TOP TEN STATE LEADERS

The road to the CIF-Southern Section track and field finals at Mt. San Antonio College on May 19 will take shape on Saturday during the prelims, held at four locations.

Most San Gabriel Valley hopefuls are competing in Division 2 and 3, with the Division 2 prelims at Moorpark High School and Division 3 at Estancia High School.

Rowland senior Nick Rivera headlines the Division 2 boys prelims, hoping to qualify in the 1,600 and 800 meters.

Rivera’s 800 time of 1 minute, 53.71 seconds at the Hacienda League finals was the seventh-fastest in the state and the leading mark of all D2 qualifiers.

Claremont’s Klyvens Delunay is among the state’s best in the boys long and triple jump.

Delunay is the state leader in the triple jump, setting the mark of 49 feet, 6 inches at the Arcadia Invitational. He has the state’s fourth-best mark in the boys long jump, leaping 23-11.

Glendora’s Makayla Jacoub is one of the favorites in the Division 2 girls pole vault. She is tied with several others with a leading qualifying mark of 10-8. Jacoub’s teammate Rocki Bartholomew is hoping to capture the girls discus. She has the second-best qualifying throw (133-01).

Ayala freshman Jaela Williams has a chance for medals in three events. She is among the favorites in girls long jump and 100 and 300 hurdles. Her teammate, junior Ifunanya Gwacham, is a contender in the triple jump.

At the Division 3 prelims at Estancia, Bonita senior Toure McCully enters with the leading qualifying mark in the boys’ 110 hurdles (14.33), and is hoping to qualify for the finals in the 100 meters and long jump.

Diamond Ranch senior Andrew Fischer is a favorite in the 300 hurdles with a second-best qualifying time of 37.80. But he will have to contend with Damien’s Jarrett Gonzalez, who boasts the leading qualifying time of 37.56.

Bonita sophomore Nikki Wheatley, who was the area girls basketball player of the year, is among the favorites in three events, the long jump, triple jump and high jump.

Bonita distance specialist Marissa Scott is competing in the 800, 1,600 and 3,200 races.

In the Division I prelims at Trabuco Hills, West Covina’s Jimmy Frazier boasts the third-best qualifying time in the 110 hurdles at 14.61

fred.robledo@sgvn.com

626-962-8811, ext. 2161