SAN GABRIEL VALLEY TRIBUNE’S SUPER 35 RANKINGS
1. Bishop Amat (1-0) — Lancers’ 40-23 win over Servite was best in over a year. Should quiet the SGV doubters, at least for a week. Now comes the big tests against the Tribune and Whittier’s best. The next four weeks against Chino Hills, La Mirada, Charter Oak and St. Paul will answer even more questions.
2. Chino Hills (1-0) — QB Matt Simko was sensational in his debut, throwing for 232 yards and five TDs in 41-20 win over Arlington. Huskies can take over top spot with a home victory over Bishop Amat next.
3. West Covina (1-0) — Even with three starters missing, including QB Jon Najera, the Bulldogs easily disposed of Covina, 34-0. If West Covina beats Loyola this week, in my opinion, it will be one of the best wins in school history for the two-time defending Southeast champions. Najera is expected to play this week.
4. Damien (0-0) — The Spartans get a huge test out of the gate at home against Orange Lutheran. All signs point toward the Spartans having a big year in 2012, but lets see how they handle a heavyweight off the bat.
5. Charter Oak (0-0) — The Chargers make their debut against the Inland Empire’s Roosevelt. The Chargers have one of the best defense’s on paper in the SGV. If they can prove they can score points, they’ll move up our rankings quick.
6. San Dimas (1-0) — The Saints’ thrilling victory over Bonita in the Smudgepot moves them up two spots with an area showdown against Azusa next. The Saints nearly blew a three-touchdown lead to Bonita, but overall, they looked great.
7. South Hills (1-0) — Huge come-from-behind 33-28 win for the Huskies at Colony. QB Adam Goss had 15 carries for 107 yards and a pair of touchdowns and Marcus Longonii had two fumble returns for touchdowns. Bonita is next.
8. Ayala (1-0) – Jordan Robinson rushed for 207 yards and three TDS in an easy 46-17 win over Diamond Bar. They can show just how much they’ve improved at home against Monrovia this week, who Aram ranks No. 2 in all of the SGV.
9. Diamond Ranch (1-0) — The Panthers got an impressive 22-14 season-opening win over Chino behind a solid performance from William Bryan, who rushed for 134 yards.
10. El Monte (1-0) – QB poster boy Brandon Martinez didn’t disappoint in his season-debut, throwing for 400 yards and five touchdowns in a 44-41 shootout win over much improved Baldwin Park.
The rest: 11. Los Altos (1-0), 12. Bonita (0-1), 13. Glendora (0-0), 14. Azusa (0-0), 15. Claremont (0-1), 16. Northview (1-0), 17. Walnut (1-0), 18. Rowland (1-0), 19. Rosemead (0-0), 20. Baldwin Park (0-1), 21. Covina (0-1), 22. Duarte (1-0), 23. Mountain View (1-0), 24. La Puente (0-0), 25. Arroyo (0-1), 26. Wilson (1-0), 27. Diamond Bar (0-1), 28. South El Monte (0-0), 29. Gladstone (0-0), 30. Nogales (0-1), 31. Bassett (1-0), 32. Sierra Vista, 33. Workman (0-1), 34. Pomona (0-1), 35. Ganesha (0-1)
Check out our Maxpreps Made Easy Widget for Tribune Football Fans. If coaches are posting rosters, updating stats and standings, this is the most useful SGV widget there is. Check it out, makes following your teams and area leaders simple.