We’ll rank girls volleyball teams the best we can, but not everyone is participating with record updates on Maxpreps. I’ll post rankings each week and when matches are called in, I will post results on new blog threads so you can share scores and comments on games you were at. Coaches can phone in results to 626-962-8811, ext. 2233 or 2242 or send a small write-up to firstname.lastname@example.org, and leave a contact number in case we have questions. On Tuesday night, we’ll cover our first match, Los Altos at St. Lucy’s, 5:30 p.m. During the season if you want your score posted quickly and mentioned on the blog, tweet it to me at twitter@sgvtribpreps. I’ll be happy to share the result.
Above: St. Lucy’s 5-foot-9 senior outstide hitter Vanessa Caustrita (#5) is one of the big reasons St. Lucy’s is No. 1 again.
Tribune Girls Volleyball Rankings
1. St. Lucy’s (2-0) – Already a win over Bonita and Los Osos, the defending back-to-back 2AA champions are gunning for something tougher, a Division 1-A title, where they’re ranked third behind Laguna Beach and Thousand Oaks respectively. Once again, the Sierra will be tough, especially with Chino Hills and Ayala, but until someone knocks them off their perch, the Regents are No. 1. BTW, they host Los Altos Tuesday night at 5:30 p.m.
2. Chino Hills (4-1) — Off to another good start with a season-opening 3-2 win over Santiago and a tournament loss to Webb. They’re not as good as last year, but the program keeps them at No. 2
3. Ayala (1-0) – Arguably the third best in the Sierra with a season-opening 3-2 win over Glendora. Top three-ranked teams are from the Sierra, that should tell you enough.
4. Bonita (0-1) – Wouldn’t read to much into the Bearcats’ 3-0 loss to St. Lucy’s. If rankings mean anything, the Bearcats are still favored to win the Hacienda with the No. 9 ranking in Division 2-AA
5. Los Altos (0-0) — The Hacienda League pre-season favorites open the campaign at St. Lucy’s on Tuesday. Don’t judge much from that. Traditionally, the Conquerors are always an area team to contend with.
6. Northview (5-2) — Nice start for the Vikings with wins over Charter Oak, Duarte and Workman. With San Dimas losing its best player, will the Vikes take advantage in the Valle Vista?
7. Claremont (0-1) — The Wolfpack have been one of the better teams in recent years. They graduated a senior heavy team, but are still among the area’s best.
8. Bishop Amat (1-1) — The Lancers have improved and started with a win over San Gabriel Valley Mission, then were swept by ML King, ranked No. 8 in 2AA.
9. San Dimas (0-1) – The Saints are the preseason No. 1 in Division 3-A but lost to West Covina 3-2 in its season opener. One reason the Saints lost is that senior Yamani Wallace, the Saints’ best player, could be out the season with a knee injury.
10. Gladstone (5-1) — Had not surrendered a game before losing to Northview in its own Gladstone tournament. The Gladiators are once again the Montview League favorites, though La Puente will have a say.