Not only are the two-time Southeast champs not in the top ten, we’re wondering if Maggiore and Co., will make the playoffs
SAN GABRIEL VALLEY TRIBUNE’S SUPER 35 RANKINGS
1. Bishop Amat (5-1-1) — Was ready to crown Charter Oak No. 1, but after listening to Aram’s argument over the weekend I agree, it’s not time to drop Amat just yet. Amat’s convincing head-to-head win over Charter Oak keeps the Lancers No. 1. But they’re on a very short leash.
2. Charter Oak (6-1) — You can make the case for the Chargers to be No. 1. They’re ahead of Amat on Maxreps, ranked No. 11 in the state and 55th nationally, which are two of the highest rankings ever for Lou Farrar and Co. Plus, they’re No. 4 in the Inland. But the computers don’t rank the eye test, and we all witnessed what happened against Amat.
3. Chino Hills (4-2-1) – After a brief stop at No. 5, the Huskies are back at No. 3 after beating Ayala and beating them convincingly. The Chargers should win the rest of its Sierra League games.
4. Ayala (5-2) — Bulldogs going through tough part of schedule losing last week to Chino Hills and facing Charter Oak this week. Don’t think they will beat Charter Oak but will win remaining Sierra League games.
5. San Dimas (7-1) — Covina could give San Dimas a tough game this week. The Colts’ only league loss came against Northview while the Vikes had three starters suspended. Even though Northview beat Covina, I still think Covina is the second best in the VVL with the best chance of beating the Saints.
6. South Hills (5-1) — Huskies gave it a shot against Charter Oak, but the Chargers were too much. South Hills still wants to stay in the race for a playoff spot and can’t afford a loss to Damien on Thursday.
7. Bonita (4-3) -- The ‘Cats finally ended West Covina’s slim hopes of winning a third straight Hacienda League title. Believe it or not, Bonita is the area’s best chance for a CIF title.
8. Gladstone (7-0) – The Gladiators’ hopes of going 10-0 increased with a win over Duarte and they can guarantee a 10-0 season with a win over four-time league champ Azusa on Friday. Why? Because the Gladiators finish with easy wins over Ganesha and Workman.
9. Diamond Ranch (5-2) — The Panthers still control their own Hacienda League title destiny with Rowland this week followed by Bonita. If the Panthers win both and finish the season with a win over Walnut, they at least share the title and would get the No. 1 seed for the league.
10. Rowland (6-2) — Nobody, and I mean nobody, would have thought Rowland could get a top ten ranking after seven weeks of football. But they deserve it.
The Rest: 11. El Monte (5-2), 12. West Covina (3-5), 13. Glendora (3-4), 14. Claremont (3-4), 15. Los Altos (4-4), 16. Northview (5-2), 17. Covina (6-2), 18. La Puente (5-2), 19. Damien (2-4), 20. Arroyo (4-3), 21. Duarte (4-3), 22. Diamond Bar (2-5), 23. Rosemead (3-4), 24. Azusa (4-3), 25. Sierra Vista (4-3), 26. South El Monte (3-4), 27. Mountain View (3-4), 28, Wilson (2-6), 29. Walnut (1-6), 30. Pomona (2-5), 31. Bassett (2-5), 32. Nogales (1-6), 33. Workman (1-6), 34. Baldwin Park (0-8), 35. Ganesha (0-7).
Check out our Maxpreps Made Easy Widget for Tribune Football Fans. If coaches are posting rosters, updating stats and standings, this is the most useful SGV widget there is. Check it out, makes following your teams and area leaders simple.