Girls Soccer Playoffs: Diamond Bar and Bishop Amat win, set up quarterfinal showdown Thursday; Chino Hills, San Dimas, Arroyo also advance

Bishop Amat 4, Righetti 3: Highlights and interviews with Bishop Amat coach Ruben Gonzalez, and scorers Nayeli Requejo (2), Jamie Peters and Katy Zamora

Fred J. Robledo, Staff Writer
LA PUENTE
– Bishop Amat withstood two second-half comebacks from stubborn Righetti in the second round of the CIF-Southern Section Division 3 girls soccer playoffs on Tuesday, winning 4-3 to advance to an all-area quarterfinal match-up at Diamond Bar on Thursday.
Bishop Amat, which won the Division 3 title in 2011 and were runner-ups last year, received two goals from leading scorer Nayeli Requejo and goals from Jamie Peters and Katy Zamora to improve to 16-4-5, setting up a date with Hacienda League champion Diamond Bar, a 1-0 winner at Flintridge Prep.
“I know it’s going to be a tough game,” Amat’s Zamora said of facing Diamond Bar. “We just have to leave it all on the field.”
Amat did just that to reach the quarters. (To continue reading click thread).

Diamond Bar 1-0 win over Flintridge Prep: Soccer is supposed to be played with the feet. But it was the arms of the Diamond Bar High School girls team that won Tuesday’s CIF-Southern Section Division 3 second-round playoff game. The visiting Brahmas defeated Flintridge Prep, 1-0.

CIF-Southern Section Soccer Playoffs
Tuesday’s Girls Soccer second Round results
Division 2

Valencia Valencia 0, Claremont 0, Valencia advances in PKs 5-4
Chino Hills 3, Hart 1
Division 3
Diamond Bar 1, Flintridge Prep 0
Bishop Amat 4, Righetti 3
Lakewood St. Joseph 5, Walnut 1
Division 6
San Dimas 2, Big Bear 0
Sierra Vista 3, Santa Ana Valley 1
Division 7
Arroyo 3, Cate 0

Thursday’s Quarterfinals Schedule
Division 2

No. 2 Chino Hills at Great Oak, 5 p.m.
Division 3
No. 4 Bishop Amat at Diamond Bar, 5 p.m.
Division 6
Katella at San Dimas, 5 p.m.
Oxnard at Sierra Vista, 5 p.m.
Division 7
Crossroads at Arroyo, 5 p.m.
Gabrielino at Campbell Hall, 5 p.m.

Inland Insider Tom Kiss with highlights and interviews following Chino Hills’ 3-1 win over Hart

Peters got the scoring started by getting tripped up in the penalty area to set up a penalty kick for Requejo, who buried it in the 23rd minute for a 1-0 lead, which Amat took into halftime.
Peters took care of the next goal on her own, powering home an 18-yard shot that doubled Amat’s lead to 2-0 in the 45th minute.
Righetti didn’t lay down, however.
After Itzy Pinon scored in the 53rd minute to trim Amat’s lead to 2-1, Pinon scored again 30 seconds later to tie the score 2-2 — a stunning
turnaround that changed the momentum in an instant.
“I think we had a little let down, we scored the second goal and kind of relaxed a little bit,” Bishop Amat coach Ruben Gonzalez said. “Fortunately for us we were able to get that third goal and get our confidence back.
Zamora, as she has done so many times for the Lancers, grabbed the momentum right back with a beautiful finish in the 56th minute to put Amat back in front, 3-2.
“It was important,” Zamora said. “When they scored the second goal it motivated us more to get the lead right back.”
Requejo followed with the goal of the match, dribbling past midfield on a 30-yard run, the cutting toward the top of the penalty area and burying a 20-yard shot that gave Amat a 4-2 lead in the 71st minute.
“I was getting close throughout the whole game and saw the opportunity,” Requejo said. “Sometimes you have this feeling when you shoot it, and I knew it was going in.”
Righetti’s Michaela Oleny scored in the 77th minute to trim Amat’s lead to a goal again, but the Lancers held on the final three minutes and
injury time to advance.
“They didn’t give up,” Requejo said of Righetti. “I respect them for that.”

• Soccer Fan

Had a tough first round on my picks but im happy that we still a few SGV teams around to represent in the second round. Here are my picks for tomorrow..Claremont over Valencia..CH over Hart..BA over Rhigetti..Flintridge prep over DB..St. Joe over Walnut..Big Bear over SD..SV over SAV…Arroyo over Cate. Lets hope that the rain doesnt mess up the games

• http://twitter.com/castbyterence Cast by Terence

Walnut had a tough loss against St. Joseph in yesterdays 2nd round of CIF. The score looked like a blow out but it was a 2-1 game with 20 minutes left to play before Walnut rolled the dice and took a few aggressive chances that backfired and St. Joe scored again to put them up 3-1. After that Walnut started sending in the subs and with that St. Joes scored two more times with about 3 minutes left in the game. St. Josephs is a really good team but lucky was not on Walnuts side having hit the top cross bar THREE TIMES.

Walnut did have a better year than most people expected with the coaching change and Walnut only returning 2 starter from last years team.

Next season should produce Walnuts best side that they have had in a long time. They will be returning 8 starters from this years team which includes the entire back line which includes defensive captian Erin Harris (Jr.). They will also get back Janae Avila (Jr.) who had to sit out this year with an injury after having started both her Freshman and Sophmore seasons.